Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sierona

Sybaris

The pinnacle of wealth, luxury, self-indulgent pleasure, voluptuousness and sensuality. Bright violet with sweet clove, Mediterranean incense notes and tonka bean.

This smells like violet and Dragon's Blood on me. It's absolutely to die for, I totally love it! A must-try for those of you who are open to both powdery florals and creamy resins. It does have great lasting power.

Win!!

4.7 out of 5

wet: spicey buttery violets.

dry: violets and spice and tonka bean - where is the clove?

this one is nice and i think a great spring scent.

i keep sniffing my locket and it's beautiful and buttery.

In the Imp (wet): This is sugar sweet, without the cream. The spice isn't sharp nor overwhelmingly warm like myrrh. A big plus in my book! (^0^)/

On facial cotton (dry): Sybaris is surprisingly refreshing and light. It is bottled bright morning sunshine cutting through French windows, bathing a table breakfast of juicy tropical fruit and warm toasted toast with cinnamon and nutmeg. If this is Indian, it is of a little dancing girl with a fresh face and laughing bells at her ankles.

On me: I got a little heady from sniffing this on my inner elbow and holding my breath in. This is warm comfort of sunshine and spice trees

In the imp: Eeyurgh. This was immediately moved to swaps storage. I don't like violets, they overwhelm. And I way don't get mixing that with clove.

In the imp: resiny vanilla and spices

Wet: Violets, clove, spices, light incense, heavy on the clove near end of wetness

Dry: The violet sinks down a bit, the tonka and spices more forward. This is not grandma's violet scent at all! Smoky, spicy! Violets and tonka--magically harmonious!! It's wonderful to smell darkened, decadent violets spiced up with clove. As it wears on it gets a creaminess from the vanilla.

I don't think of myself as a violet fan, but this is one that could win me over.

Sybaris was a Lab frimp.

Wet, this is the faintest Violet I've smelled in a BPAL, so far. Otherwise it is very anisey-clovey, and reminds me of these Italian pastilles di liquoriza. You can get 'em with Violet in it, so that is probably why I make the association. The middle stage is sweet colves on my skin, with almost no trace of the Violet at all. The drydown is Root Beer or Sasparilla, and while not unpleasant, its just wildly different than what I expected. Also reminds me a little of Versace's Metal Jeans, a long time favorite. All in all, a yummy keeper.

This is one of those scents that completely envelops you in a cloud of fragrance. For me it is mostly violet and tonka, with the incense and clove acting in the background to lend subtle nuances. Tonka always reminds me of a richer, deeper vanilla and it is an unexpected surprise to find that it pairs so well with the dusky sweet violets.

Delicious! The violet and clove blend together, and there is a soft incense root that smells smoked and elegant. Thank you to the lab for sending this as a frimp! I wouldn't have thought this one would be for me, but I really like it. I think I'll wear it when I want to be grown-up yet sexy.

Me: *smears on Sybaris, sniffs, smiles - It's soft and spicey! waves arm under DH's nose* What do you think?

DH: Ewh. Baby powder.

Me: It is not! *waves arm under friend's nose* What do you think?

Friend: Baby powder.

Me: *frown, sniff* Oh. Baby powder.

Something about this goes very powdery after a few seconds on my skin, and it's a STRONG powder. After a little while the throw goes away, but I still don't get any of the notes other than the softest hint of spice.

*waves bye-bye to imp*

my poor nose has no idea what it's smelling - i am unable to discern any of the individual notes in this oil - but it does definitely love sybaris so far. :P

it's such a mild, pleasant scent in the vial, it smells so soft, like a pale violet, and i can't even really say it's changed all that much on my skin yet. a soft, mild floral and something clean? not soapy, just a wet, clean smell. it's really nice.

over time there is a definite spiciness coming out - the clove? - adding a beautiful exotic element.

i am really loving this one and am finding myself loving it more and more the longer it is on me. big bottle? HMMMMM. :D

ETA: two hours after application, this turns into hairspray. :D alas.

and i was loving you so much, sybaris!

Edited by undream

I wanted to try this one for the incense/tonka combo. I do get the incense, but this is mostly clove and violet to me. In fact, I think I'm amping the clove.

Violet is a really interesting note to this blend though, I wouldn't have thought to put it with the clove.

ADDED April 30:

WHOA VIOLET. WHOA.

I'm still holding out hope for the tonka.

Oh dear. This really smells like scented toilet paper on me. I get a good whiff of tonka in the throw, but up close it is all Charmin. :P

I guess the soft, light floral I smell in the imp is the violet? It amps up very sweet as it dries on my skin. The clove adds a little bit of spice but mostly more sweet. There's a faint something behind it I think is the incenses, but overall it's so sweet it gives me a headache and I had to wash it off.

Imp: Metallic violets with a bit of that fuzzy cologne-y-ness I get from tonka.

Wet: Super sweet and intense violets. Strangely, it reminds me of a sniffy of Faith (or is it Hope? One of the Siamese twins) I had a while ago.

Dry: Dear God... this dries down to smell like violets and blood accord. I am a sick, blood accord loving puppy and this is AWESOME! I get a tiny hint of the clove and this winds up smelling a lot more dark and terrifying than it was probably intended to.

Throw: Good. Mostly violets, you have to get up close and personal for the faux blood accord.

Overall: Why do I Say "No more BPAL for a while" and then test imps? It's such a financially dangerous habit. But Sybaris smells like something a bit dangerous so I guess that's just the way I roll.

In the imp: Violet! This smells a lot like Faith.

Wet: Violet, with a hint of clove underneath.

Drydown: The clove and incense take over and smash down any other note that tries to come out. If I were an incense and clove fan, this would be a favorite.

First, this is POW! Sweet Violets like those violet candies, but, then it fades to ick. The combination of clove and violets results in heavy-on-the-lye soap. The tonka makes a late appearance, but by then it's too late. I feel as if I have said a dirty word and my mouth is about to get scrubbed out. This makes me wish for a scent that is clove, tonka and another floral besides violets..hmm...off to search.

Violets don't work for me, though I don't begrudge their existence. If you like full-on violet notes, this is your scent.

In the Bottle

Violets with a bit of spice in the background, probably the clove and incense. I’m not getting any tonka just yet.

On My Skin

Once I apply this the tonka comes out and now the blend is primarily violets and tonka. The clove and incents are in the background which gives this blend a weird vibe. It smells like I’ve layered a creamy floral over a hippy spice and it’s just not quite coming together.

After a Bit

Four and a half hours later and I can still smell the blend fairly well. The spice has died down and now it’s mainly violets and tonka, with the tonka being the dominant portion. Since tonka is one of my favorite notes it’s not surprise that I really like this oil.

Rating 1-5

Scent - 4 Throw - 3.5 Longevity – 4

Overall (not an average) – 3.8

Final thoughts

Bottle worthy? Yes, eventually. I like this blend quite a bit. It’s blended well, creamy, has a decent throw, lasts long and is one that I would feel comfortable wearing to work or on the train commuting to school/work without worrying about offending other people. Very nice

Oh yes indeed. This scent starts out as violets-- reminds me of the Violets candy that I thought tasted like soap. When it dries, it gets very spicy- the clove takes over. It is a lovely warm scent.

Sybaris

I finally tried this one last night.

And it was awful on my skin!

The violets were soggy and dead - very putred.

and they were mixed with spices.

very disappointing :P

I cannot wear violets. I think I have come to accept this. Sybaris was my last hope at wearing a violet scent and on me, this note is entirely too screeching. I thought the cloves and incense would temper the violet nicely, but on me, it was all violet, all the time. After many hours (I think approximately 4 or 5) the clove and incense finally made an appearance, but only subtly.

In the Imp: This is what I wanted Lush's Skinny Dip to smell like. It's strong violets and cloves, but the tonka really brings those two different scents together with it's creaminess. A little sharp, but very warm too.

Wet: Mmmm.. the violet calms down a bit, and it's more spicy (not just cloves) and warm, with only a little bit of violet there.

Dry: Same as wet.. not a lot of violet, mainly tonka and spices, which is quite nice. Not sure I love it, but I'll try it a few more times and see if I want a bottle. It's definitely unique, and that's what I like!

Imp: slightly aquatic; spicy violet; touch of tonka or incense, can't yet tell...

Wet: again, I get that aquatic note, but from what I can't tell...definitely violet, which is fine with me...I don't smell the incense that I can tell, anyway...nor the tonka

Dry: violet is the strongest note and overall throw...I like it, but I would probably want to tone it down with a touch of Dana o Shee or something else creamy/milky; if you do not like violet, stay away from this one; otherwise, give it a go! :P

I had such high hopes for this one -- I've been looking for my perfect violet scent and I was totally expecting this to be it. Wet on my skin, it was exactly what I wanted...lovely sweet violets with just the right amount of spice. Unfortunately, my skin ate this like a three course dinner. The violets went first and all I could smell was clove, an hour later my wrist gobbled up the clove as well and I was left with some sort of weird powdery smell...half an hour later that was gone too.

This would be lovely on someone who isn't me :cry2:

Wet: Sharply floral. Violet's taking over in the bottle.

First on: Still heavily violet.

Dry: All violet all the time. Meh.

Violet's one of the few florals I can wear, and I'm on a casual mission to try all of Beth's violet blends...

Sybaris is lovely & sweet & quiet - not a big scent at all, but introverted & gentle. Sweet, cool violets & just a trace of clove & incense - the tonka dies down very quickly on me, so it just adds a bit of warmth & weight. There's certainly frankincense in here - Sybaris is drying down to a silky, slightly powdery haze of frankincense & lightly spiced violet pastilles. There's just a trace of something deep & bitter, maybe the spent flowers that have fallen down into the soil...

If you wanted to love Faustus, but it was just a bit too much, definitely try Sybaris. It's drier & warmer than my favorite violet, The Darkling Thrush, but has that same quiet stillness. Delightful :wub:

Violet. Lots and lots of violet. My imp is very aged but I've always gotten a lot of violet from this blend. There is a deep spiciness to it that I am assuming is from the clove and incense but I actually don't smell those two notes directly at all. It is also very sweet and really strong. It comes in with a bang, that's for sure. It's a really interesting blend.