Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
schackjj

Ares v3

In the Bottle: Juniper, eucalyptus? something in that family that always smells like Vicks to me ;)

Wet: Same, very strong.

Drydown: This note starts to soften really quickly, and a floral note appears. Unfortunately, my nose isn't sophisticated enough to identify what it is, or what else might be in this blend. It doesn't go soapy, though, and this scent has really good wearlength.

I acquired this through the generousity of Schackjj and I'm incredibly grateful for the experience!

In the bottle: Mint. Overpowering mint with something else trying to come through.

First on my skin: I had an 'oh, that's what that is!' moment as the mint resolved into eucalyptus.

Drydown: Yum. Nummy eucalyptus and dragon's blood.

10 minutes later: *lolcat impression* I haz a smell and it iz bad!

I'm not sure what happened between the drydown and a few minutes later, but my body chemistry turned this perfume into a retirement home. A lovely (for some definition of lovely) combination of a medicinal smell, something musty/dusty, and mothballs.

I'm thrilled to have tested a prototype, I LOVE the way this one smells in the bottle and for those first moments, but I think it's a safe assumption that this'll be moving on to another home, unless my SO has different results.

In the bottle: Woodsy and wintergreen.

Wet: Even more woody, still wintergreen but slightly less overwhelmingly so. There is a wonderful herby floral involved, too; it almost reminds me of The Host of the Air. This has potential!

One hour: Woodsy, herbal, but with a slight floral edge. There's a note in this that makes me want to huff it; I'm not sure what, but I think it's a musk. The impression of wintergreen is almost unnoticeable now.

Two and a half hours: Woody and resinous now, it smells as if there is balsam or frankincense in it. I quite like it.

Four and a half hours: Woodsy and resiny with a touch of musk. There's a bit of bitterness in it too, rather an enjoyable fillip. I like this better than I thought I would.

very minty and sort of astringent smelling. taking a big whiff of this straight from the vial actually feels pretty good in my nose.

there is a somewhat sweet/bubble gum note underneath the cold mint/eucalyptus. it's a little incongruous for a blend called Ares.

So when first applied, I do get a hit on mint - I think it may be wintergreen. However, as it dries, I definitely get the same spicy floral that I get from dragon's blood resin. Given the reddish color of the oil, I'm guessing its probably a component. There is a bit of a bubblegum like quality to the floral, which could be a trace of lotus.

Not how I would have envisioned Ares at all but... hey, we should all keep an open mind.

Peach coloured oil. Sharp, herbal, medicinal. Definitely some mint(s), and something that's bitter and reminds me a lot of valerian root. There is a strongly dark and earthy base, notes of soil and rocks, and then loads of mentholic herbal greenery on top.

Eeeeek dragon's blood. And I can see it in the neon-pinkish tinge when I put this on my oii. It provides and odd, soapy-sweetenss - nasty air freshener, as usual, with that lilac-like heady floral and fake cherry candy note. The DB clashes horribly with the mints, which I peg as pennyroyal and peppermint. Almost no more earthiness, much lighter and less dark.

Oh definitely pennyroyal, a nemesis note which amps epicly on me and makes me wildly nauseated. Combined with the DB, it is overpoweringly sharp and noxious. Ares is definitely one potent, nasty bitch! Very, very strong throw and longevity.

I'm getting pretty much what everyone else has mentioned above. Strong, medicinal. I smell wintergreen or eucalyptus and dragon's blood for sure. Really clears the old sinuses! :lol:

Minty and a bit sweet (it reminds me of vanilla mint yankee candle blends. It's like a stronger Jack Frost...I like this a lot.

Imp: Sweet dragon's blood resin with something else dark and sweet as well--maybe balsam of Peru or benzoin? There is a strong pine/forest element here. I don't think it's cypress but it could be. If it is cypress it's spiked with something with a strong menthol component--juniper or eucalyptus?

Wet: On wet it kind of smells like environmentally friendly cleaning products. Very strong menthol vibe over a sweeter, warmer base. There is something in this that is almost candy sweet.

Dry: Sweet, warm dragon's blood with a smooth, creamy resin and lingering menthol. It's actually surprisingly pretty. Very, very sweet, almost candy sweet on my skin. The menthol is just too jarring for me to really like it. I love the base notes but that menthol makes it smell like I put on some great perfume and then I cleaned the bathroom.

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: It's lovely but not for me. Very happy to have tried it and if Ares ever gets a proper release I hope it will be similar to this proto.

Edited by paperrose

Mint and eucalyptus over something funky and almost animalistic. Nauseating. This opens my sinuses and makes my eyes burn, and it smells like minty fresh ass.

Ares v3 - This opens up with a ginormous blast of medicinal wintergreen and eucalyptus. It's really, really powerful. As it dries down, it becomes predominantly a dragon's blood scent, with a nice level of that wintergreen/eucalyptus scent behind the dragon's blood. I'm also guessing perhaps a hint of cypress and maybe some thyme? (I'm totally guessing on those last two!) While it opens up with a huge blast of nauseatingly medicinal odor, it settles into something really beautiful. When I sniff close to my skin, I think, "Nice, but not for me," but when I catch a random waft of it around me, I'm really intrigued by it. I think it's absolutely perfect in it's current form, so I'm guessing the reason it hasn't been released is due to component issues, because as far as the blend goes, it's perfect.

I like myth's description of "minty fresh ass" for this one, lol. This is pretty medicinal and harsh on me at first. I get the sharp menthol/eucalyptus and a high pitched, slightly powdery mint over something darker and a bit dirty and herbal smelling. The darker aspect turns sickly sweet on me in the drydown and I agree with the reviews saying it's probably dragon's blood. I get the sickly, rotten flowers smell that I often get from dragon's blood. It's interesting and doesn't smell terrible on me in the drydown, but it doesn't exactly smell good on me either (but I don't really care for menthol smells)...