Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
tarotgirl99

AF5

Even before I open the bottle, I can smell violet. It reminds me of the violet candies my Great Uncle Morris used to bring me. I don't like the scent of violet.

In the bottle, the violet is almost medicinal.

On me, this is the prettiest violet scent EVAH. Unlike most violets, it's warm, not cold. I can't explain why, but it blooms on the skin, making me think of violets in the warm summer misting, not a cool spring rain. It's not-too-sweet, definitely not medicinal...there's a delicate sprinkling of sugar. It is truly lovely.

Sadly, I don't like the scent of violet.

Even this one, which is the best violet I've ever smelled.

Good throw, average wear length.

Edited by tarotgirl

In bottle: Pretty much just straight fresh violet, very much so.

On/wet: Sweet, fresh, sugared violets. It's really, really gorgeous-- this isn't the same sort of sugared violets in Faith, though-- this is a more full, rounded violet.

Drydown: Violet pastilles!!! It's sweet and sugary... without being sugary. It's not something that morphs too much when it hits my skin, either, which is a wonderful change for me with a violet scent-- quite often they go soapy or green on me, and this doesn't. Overall, it's really a gorgeous scent and I wish that more violet notes would turn out like this on me.

AF5 - Violets -- like C. Howard's Violet Mints. At first it's wonderfully sweet and lovely, but then it takes on a weird plasticky smell... And then I'm certain I smell gardenia in there with it. This is a weird violet on me, and nothing like the fresh violet scents I usually love. This one is heady, heavy, and verging on cloying. Edited by edenssixthday

Sniffed: Ambery orange coloured oil. Planty and floral, and little rotten (iris?) and a little sweet. A bit 'traditional' smelling.

Wet: Sweeter, almost fruity and a little nutty, maybe some almond? Still heavily, whitely floral - jasmine or a strong gardenia, as well as a bit of iris. The florals are bit a sharp, pungent, and soapy.

Dry: Very slow to dry. Now I get the violets - although it's sort of orris-y, and I stand by the iris I observed earlier. It's going both sweeter and more powdery over time - frankly a little nauseating. It's also starting to give me a headache and has strong throw. Off to sink!

:ack:

Shrieking violets, with something else. I really can't get a handle on this scent at all, it's kinda sad, lol But it's off, for me. Very high pitched.

In the bottle: Like a bouquet of violets that is just beginning to bloom, it is a subtle scent, one that is sweet and innocent. Yet, that is not all. Hidden within the bouquet, there is another floral scent that is lurking around softly in the background and keeping the violets in check.

On my skin: Oh no, this sweet scent is turning sharp and medicinal on me! Violet is in full bloom and making her presence known. Oh, and what is this emerging from the bouquet? Gardenia! Heavy and overwhelmingly loud gardenia! Gardenia has decided not to stay in the background and is competing with violet. Both gardenia and violet are not backing down at all and are giving me a headache. :ack: This scent is fresh, sharp and not subtle. Unfortunately, both do not blend together in this scent, but are two individual notes just jostling for the prominent position.

Someone frimped me a tester of this! Yep, it's violet. It's Asphodel only sweeter and warmer, more sugary-powdery, and I haven't had it on too long at this point (I've got a lot to test today!) but it seems stronger too. I'm a big violet fan, so this is very nice, but I prefer the cooler sharpness of Asphodel (and Queen Gertrude) over this, I think. I'm glad I got to try it!

Edited by benthic

Normally violet is really unpleasant on me, but there's something floral and lovely neutralizing the violet violence :). Wow, a violet blend that works on my skin...it's nice.

Powdery, dry, harsh and quite bitter. Smells like ancient powdery perfume. Pretty awful and instantly headache-inducing on me.

This is light sweet violets, baby powder, and a spritz of sharp, white floral, musky perfume on my skin. The sharpness fades in the drydown and I'm left with sweet violet scented baby powder. It's too powdery for me, but not really awful. I have violet scents that I like a lot more than this one, though.

Violets, iris and gardenia. Gardenia is not a note that plays well with me, so it ends up as a sharp, headachingly floral FLORAL.

In the bottle: WHOA, violet! Hi violet. Hello. Hi. Hi. Hi. You have my full attention! :D (there is a hint of creaminess that others mentioned, but the violet is SO intense that's it's like an afterthought.

Wet On Skin: This stuff has CRAZY amounts of throw. I was testing another oil on my other hand and i had to put miss AF5 hand behind my BACK before i could smell the other one without it being tainted! the violet is pure and true. I, too, am reminded of C Howard's violet candies. the gum to be exact. It's strong and sweet like that. Not at all in a Faith way, which is very gentle by comparison. But I've been looking for a more "direct" violet, and i think this might be the one! *fingers crossed*

Dry Down: I'm getting little hints of the gardenia in this, which makes me wonder if this was a proto for Le Serpent qui Danse. the violet in this isn't going all soapy the way it did in that blend though, so perhaps whatever third element is in that one is lacking in here. which is fine by me!

In All: Despite the gardenia, this is still 98% straight violet. which i exactly what I was hoping for, so i'm super excited about it. Like I said, the throw is HIGH- i applied just a drop from the cap and whoa, nelly is it POWERFUL. this is a truly beautiful violet for those of us that are fans and i can see wearing it alone, layering it with another violet scent to amp up the note in that blend (like Ultraviolet, Faith or Marie) or else layering it with something that could use another touch of class (Like Victorian Rose Milk, B340 or possibly something totally different, like sugar Skull). In other words, this is very near a Single Note, so use in any manner you wish!

:wub2: