Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Imperious Tiger-Lily

Tiger-lily, ginger root, neroli, purple fruits, and frankincense.

I'm only getting lily and frankincense from this, which is disappointing since I was looking forward to some ginger! I have a full bottle of Hymn for my lily-heavy needs, so I don't need to hang onto this. It was worth the try, though!

This imp is aged. Also I have no idea what half of these notes smell like (neroli and tiger-lilly specifically, unless it is like normal lillies; and purple fruits is awfully vague).
In the bottle: Something pleasant and flowery and fruity and I can spot the ginger root.
On my skin: Purple! This must be the fruits. Also, I think the rest is the tiger-lilly or neroli because it is not frankincense. The purple fruits quickly fade for the flower base. It is sweet and pleasant and light. After a while the flowers temper down, making it sweeter and mellow and mingle with a hint of frankincense at the very base. It gets slightly powdery as well.
Drydown: Soft... Lilly I think.

In the imp: Faint, sweet lily.

Wet on my skin: Beautiful, sweet, authentic tiger lily with this vaguely earthy spiciness to it. Yum.

Dry: Almost the same as wet, and I knew I'd love it due to the ginger and frankincense. Darker florals like this tend to do very nice things on my skin, and this is a rich, spicy, purplish-green scent with LOTS of lily throw tempered by that spice and earth. So very pretty, will likely be ordering more than just an imp of this.

This is so aptly named. I get almost a single lily note, just tinged by frankincense in the background. Regal and unique. Unfortunately, too much lily for me.

So let me preface this with.... I had no plans to like this scent at all (it just came as an imp with an order of other things I thought I'd like!) I do not like lily scents as I basically can almost never get past the thought that they remind me of funeral parlors so even a light lily scent will come across as thick, cloying and rather sickening to me. This was much better than I expected. I feel in the minority here but I didn't even get a sense of strongly identifying the first notes as a strictly LILY scent. I got orange and rather generic 'flower' scent right off the bat. I could maybe identify it more as a lily scent in the bottle, but not really on my body. Later in the day some spiciness came through as well as something I think of as a standard drug-store perfume scent (but without the drug-store perfume headache!) and faint hints of orange stuck with me and gradually melted away.

I probably wouldn't purchase a full-size but will certainly finish the imp and by the name I had assumed it was destined for garbage or resale so this was a nice surprise.

Overall rating: 5/10

Wet: Sweet an spicy and lily

Dry: This is lovely. I like lily, but only when it's not too sweet or in your face. I think the ginger in this rounds it out nicely. I think I will keep the imp and re-test in the winter to see if I need a bottle for spring (this is such a Spring sent to me).

I've had this for some months, and worn it a couple times, but haven't gotten to reviewing. Regretful disclosure: Tiger lily is probably my favorite flower, but this isn't my favorite fragrance for it.

There's the tiger lily note, with orange blossom and a mild ginger, but the blend goes immediately and almost wholly soapy as soon as it meets my skin. Besides that little problem, the purple fruits aren't adding anything positive for me, but it's just personal preference. They're a subtle contrast with the rest of the blend, and that's usually something I like (a lemon twist on vetiver or black tea, for instance), but I'm not personally lured to this combination.

Before reading the notes, I also caught that grainy feeling I often get from frankincense, but didn't think that was included. Having seen the notes, I can pick out the fragrance of it, too, but at first it was just texture for me.

I bought a sample of this early on and received another as a freebie somewhere along the way. I'll use them both eventually, but it's not a reorder item on the horizon. I thought it would be love -- I'm sure for some others it is!

In the imp: Green and sappy. Very light.

Wet: spicy lily, ginger, and a little sharp neroli.

Dry: Frankincense with a strong lily.

Will try again in the spring to see if I need this!

Neroli and lily for me, I have to be absolutely honest and say I'm not getting ginger, "purple fruits" or frankincense at all. A strong biting bracing scent for me, nothing remotely feminine or "girly" about it. Works well on a hot day.

Oh, no. The neroli and frankincense are doing something very strange on my skin, and it will be scrubbed as soon as I finish this review. It's super powdery and artificial-sweet like an air freshener, then fades over time to strange, old-fashioned powdery soap. There's definitely fruit there but it's dried and completely fails to balance all that powder. Neroli is almost always nasty on me, so I blame that.

Like some other imps I've been reviewing, I ended up with two frimps of Imperious Tiger-Lily (Harry Potter nerd over here trying so hard to not type Imperius, lol. Kind of like how I always type Lucious instead of Lucius. But anyhoo ...) Like some of the others, probably not one I would've bought myself, but I was very interested to try it once I had it. Florals can be tricky on me, so it's always worth a shot to see what works and what doesn't.

First Sniff Impression: Floral, but in a pinched, sour kind of way.

Wet in Vial: I can smell the tiger-lily, and I think the ginger and maybe neroli. Something is making the scent almost sour. It's weird.

Drying Down on Skin: This is much lighter on skin. The tiger-lily and neroli seem fairly well blended, giving a sort of yellow-white floral smell. I can't tell any ginger or frankincense, but those seem like they might come out later. The frankincense might be helping the flowers to be less cloying. Maybe it's because of the lilies, but I feel like this is a very early spring, "Easter" scent. It's bright, but still somewhat heavy, not very light.

Dry on Skin: Scent is pretty much just straight floral for me dry. I wish I got more of the frankincense. As it stands, it's kind of boring. I'm not a big fan of just plain spring flowers. After a couple hours it sweetened a bit more and seemed like maybe the ginger was peeking out.

Conclusion: This was a good, unoffensive floral if you like bright, yellow-white lily scents. I think it was a little too heavy on the floral perfume for me. Some of the spice coming out would have helped a lot. I don't think I'll hang on to this scent.

This has really good throw on me, which I'm excited about, since my skin seems to damp down most of the bpal oils I really like, and sometimes I want to flaunt it. So I can apply Imperious Tiger Lily sparingly and still get a dramatic effect. The neroli and other notes keep this from being a cloying lily scent and turn it into a brassy, bossy lily, as the name suggests. I never got the ginger but I suspect it's part of what keeps this bright. I'm not into heavy florals but this one works for me. I will need to get more!

Imp: Lily and neroli scuffling under my nose\
Wet on Me: the ginger and purple fruits are trying to break up the scuffle under my nose but not succeeding.
Dry: really heady. Lily has a way like rose of getting all bossy with the other notes and taking over. And not always in a good way.

In the imp: Mostly lily and neroli with just a bit of frankincense.

Wet: The lily and neroli are quite prominent, and the frankincense note is a lot stronger on my skin. I'm also getting the ginger root now. Then, after a few minutes, the purple fruits emerge, which I believe includes plum.

Dry: Spiced lily and purple fruit with just a hint of neroli in the background. The purple fruits end up becoming stronger than the lily, so that it's spiced purple fruits with some lily, with the neroli and frankincense just barely there in the background.

Verdict: Purple fruits are not my cup of tea, but I'll hold onto my imp anyway since it's part of the Mad Tea Party collection (and I don't want to part with any of the Mad Tea Party imps I've collected).

Very faint on me, the lily and ginger are very strong on me. This is discontinued, so I'm sure this was lovelier fresh with those purple fruits!

Not my favorite, but not bad enough to get rid of yet. The lily is very nice, even if it starts to go a little baby powdery ish.