Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
hkhm

Against Idleness and Mischief

Pollen-dusted honey, diligent tonka, steadfast chamomile, and goodly hyssop.

In imp it smells of a calming chamomile and honey body cream. Something you may use when pregnant to relax and pamper yourself. As it dries it gets sweeter but not in a sticky way, in a slightly fresh way, possibly the pollen or hyssop. I'm loving it more as it dries, it's slightly fresher, less creamy, more like a lotion than a thick cream. Florals have always turned soapy on me, but this one hasn't as yet, hoping it stays that way as it is a lovely Spring/Summer fragrance at the moment! I smell the sun, and flowers, and being in the garden with my girl who is smiling. OH says it smells nice :) A big keeper!

Honey in the bottle. Goes on as chamomile, but this soon becomes a fake kind of honey. It continues into an artificial, candy-like cough drop kind of honey which eventually becomes more realistic but not amazing.

An hour later: I've changed my verdict. This is a really nice honey note. Floral overtones.

Edited by Soupy Twist

Imp: HONEY!
Wet on Me: definitely sweet honey. no other notes are showing themselves to my nose right now
Drying Down: flowers and honey. starting to get 'heady'
Dry: the flowers keep the honey from becoming too sweet but the sweet honey still gets a touch heady and cloying for me. Alas to trade!

Some years ago, I sampled this and loved it and called it an oriental blend. It seems totally different to me now. Kind of pink-purple with a good bit of honey. Now it smells more like spring cakes. Warm and yummy and bright. Interesting, but I don't think I love it as much as I did the first time.

Where I'd wear it: On a sailboat, eating a crumpet picnic.

Chamomile tea and honey! This scent has a lot of positive associations for me. The tonka comes out pretty quickly, giving just a slightly spicy, vanilla edge to the honey. I have no idea what hyssop smells like, but research tells me that it's herbal, in some ways basil-like. I do get a little bit of herbs as it dries and the intensity of the honey dies down.

I am ALL ABOUT anything that smells like honey or beeswax, and this turned out to be a really excellent blind bottle. The honey stays natural, it doesn't become cloyingly sweet, and there's something herbal/sweet about it that makes it intriguing. What a great summer scent.

This is why I love frimps! Sometimes the Lab sends you a scent that's just perfect for you, that you never really took notice of on your own. The name of it just didn't jump out at me when I browsed, and I think we all have scent categories that resonate more with us conceptually and Alice just isn't one of mine. If this had been called, IDK, Doomed Gothic Heroine, I'd have tried it years ago. :laugh:

It starts out with a honey or beeswax note very similar to Lights of Men's Lives, which I love, and in the early stages there seems to be a fruity note hanging out underneath. What it eventually becomes, though, is a blend of the beeswax note with a clean white floral that I'd describe as powdery or even papery. Before I checked the note list, I'd have guessed something like gardenia. It's soooo pretty; innocent and feminine.

As for gothic heroines, I have the Haute Macabre review of the Weenies fresh in my mind, and they described one of the Poe scents as reminiscent of a gothic heroine running for her life over the moors. If that scent is the heroine's mad dash, then this one might be the heroine herself, with the beeswax representing the ubiquitous candelabra and the white floral her diaphanous gown. You could have called this one Edith Cushing and I'd have believed it. I could see this becoming a staple in my rotation. Thanks Lab :wub3:

Oh, this is lovely! I am a huge fan of beeswax and candle scents, and this is the sunny springtime cousin of Lights of Men's Lives, with the bees still busy in the fields. The hyssop is reminiscent of Tzadikim Nistarim, another of my favorite blends. It's the wrong scent for this time of year, but it will go on my 5 ml long list for the spring.

I definitely got more of the chamomile on the initial sniff out of the bottle and on the skin. Something bright and a little citrus like at first. At first I was like "meh" I'm not going to like this one.

However, on the dry down more of the honey and tonka come out making this a warm and cozy fragrance. It really is like curling up with a nice cup of hot chamomile tea with tons of honey. The honey is so lovely that Im really enjoying this one. Its a keeper.

Edited by ianastar

I don't know why but this goes minty on my skin initally. I love the Labs honey, so I was thinking this would be awesome and comforting. as it dries down, and the tonka comes out, the honey starts to amplify and I am enjoying it more and more.

*edited to add* as it dries down even more, a little bit of spiciness comes out and the honey is almost beeswax-like, and it reminds me a tiny bit of Loved to Death, which is in my top 5 of bpal so yeah, i like this one :)

Edited by cassiejaynebunk

Got this as a free sample in my recent order. Oooh, I like this very much. Somehow, never came across it in the catalogue. Smells like the restored prairie I walk through at the nature preserve when all the flowers and grasses are at their prime in early August. Thank you, this is going on my To Buy list.

On me this comes across as dusty beeswax and nothing else (not a bad thing). It doesn't morph at all, just smells like an unlit beeswax candle.

It's nice - and the only honey scent I've tried thus far that doesn't go straight to cat pee on my skin - but I'm still debating if it's full-bottle-worthy

In the imp: Honey, tonka, chamomile that I can detect outright, as well as another herbal, slightly minty (very slightly) note that I'm guessing is hyssop. 

On my skin:

Wet, honey is in the forefront along with chamomile. As it's drying, the tonka is also distinguishable. 

Given some time to develop on my skin, the tonka blends almost seamlessly with the honey to create a scent that's partway between honey and beeswax (they're distinct but not so very dissimilar on my skin). The chamomile gives it a mild sweetness, and the herbal hyssop, as a background note, provides a bit of structure. I like this a great deal as it shows up on my skin as a honey scent (as opposed to a many-noted scent with honey, however prominent, in it), but the complementary other notes deepen it and keep it from becoming too cloying or heady. 

The throw and wear length aren't great on me, but I also tested this on a not-ideal area of my skin. I'm very curious to give this a more thorough retest as it could be the honey blend I've been looking for for daily wear. 

Edit: Retested more fully and sadly, the throw and wear length remain light on me. Will definitely keep my imp of this for use in specific situations. 

Edited by torischroeder9

Very similar experience as Little Bird. Wet, weird musty herbs + grass , yet reminiscent of German Expressionist Horror oddly, that almost musty pine box smell.

Drydown: glorious herbal honey. Honey rarely works so well as it does here on me. It's slightly powdery and pollinous, yet sweet and not sneeze inducing. I'll be keeping this, may even upgrade to a full.

Gorgeous! A valkyrie would wear this. 

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

This is a pretty old imp I have, so this smells mostly of baby powder (maybe it's from the hyssop, a note I'm not familiar with) and the chamomile. The honey is there but pretty faint from aging I'm guessing.

It's not bad, but I prefer some other scents I've tried to this one like Follow Me Boy. It also fades pretty quickly. It's very pretty so I'll hold onto the imp for a while.

In the imp this is a really light, slightly waxy honey. On my skin it's mostly the light honey, with a bit of a light herbal floral which I assume is the hyssop and chamomile. Really breezy and clean but not in a soapy or white musk way. A sweet meadowy honey scent. 

In the imp, this is a sweet, honied scent (but a warm, sticky/glowing sweetness, not a sugary vanilla one) with hints of something green and growing- it makes me think of a white daisy with a yellow center, growing in the sunshine. This is what I wanted Marc Jacob’s Daisy to smell like (sadly it was nothing like this).

Once on my skin, it goes herbal and almost minty. There’s a brief minute or so of fustiness in the wet stage that’s probably the chamomile since floral scents often go musty on me when initially applied.

The honey never comes back as strongly as it does in the imp, and overall this is a fresh, slightly sweet scent that’s not quite floral and not quite herbal. It’s soft and close to the skin and makes me think of the milky white sap that comes out when you snap dandelion stems.

Testing a relatively fresh imp (about 4 months old). I wanted to try a perfume with hyssop in it because I visited a garden shop that had pots and pots of blooming hyssop and it smelled amazing.

Unfortunately, Against Idleness and Mischief isn't the right one for me.

It's dominated by razor sharp honey with the florals completely buried. It sticks close to the skin for its whole (relatively short) duration and I can only faintly detect a flower or two behind the honey waterfall when I sniff right on my skin after 3 hours or so.

Needless to say, I didn't get along with this one... Which I suppose makes sense, since I'm pretty in favor of idleness and mischief.