Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dracoo9

Snooty Rose

Red rose, oud, plum, bergamot, and red sandalwood.

In the imp this is rose with bergamot. Pretty, with a bite.

Wet, it's all sandalwood and the thorny green stem of a rose. My skin tends turn sandalwood into dusty incense and stifle everything with it. Uh oh.

As it dries down the sandalwood disappears for a while (that's a first!) and the rose peeks out - behind the plum. The combination reminds me of Persephone for a spell. Later it's creamy, candied purple rose petals with a hint of warm, dry incense smoke. Decent throw. I may get a bottle of this.

I received a frimp of this as part of my latest group order and if you know anything about my scent tastes then you know this is definitely not something I would have ordered on my own. I can't handle heavy florals and I can only think of one scent I own that has rose listed as a main note. That being said: I definitely don't hate this! The sandalwood mellows it out enough that it doesn't read as "old ladyish" to me at all. I'm going to try and layer it with something herbal and then something with strong vanilla and see if either makes a combo that I could see myself wearing every day. It has a fairly weak throw but it does last for a long time.

Maybe my nose is broke, but this doesn't smell like rose to me. Just a faint nondescript floral at first, then fades to a barely there sandalwood. I've had a bug, but not involving a head cold, so maybe it's affecting my sense of smell.

The Lab's roses are so wonderful, I don't know how I missed this one for so long! I got to test it during NYCC this year and fell in love. Gorgeous red rose, warm plum, and red sandalwood. The bergamot is short-lived on my skin, just the way I like it. An hour after application, it's one complicated, plummy red rose. Total keeper.

In the imp: Roooooooooooooose rose rose ...ROSE.

Wet on my skin: ROSE and am I detecting the sandalwood in there? Ooooh, now there's the plum.

Dry: I happen to like rose when it actually smells like rose and not cheap rose imitation perfume (which gives me an insta-migraine). This smells like real roses! Soft and almost buttery petals, very sweet. It's tempered by the plum and sandalwood, which bring it from a light, crisp red to something a little more "mauve." The bergamot and oudh give it just a hint of a bite, but not so much as to make the scent sharp. This is a very pretty scent, in an antique, lacy Victorian sort of manner. Hmm...maybe more Rococo, now that I think on it. It's a little bit too "full" and lively to be truly Victorian.

I get rose with a green, herbal dimension from the bergamot and a touch of sandalwood. I wouldn't call this a rose blend--the rose in here is not the star note by far. This is green, floral, slightly fruity sandalwood. Interesting and exquisite but not for me.

Wet this was a blast of rose. As it dries the plum really pushes it's way to the front. After it's dries this is a very plummy scent with the other notes taking a back seat, even the rose. It stays fairly close to my skin and is very soft.

Unfortunately the lab's plum notes tends to go pretty icky on me - sickly sweet "fake" and overpowering. That's what happens with this one. I get almost no rose at all.

A frimp from the lab!

Wet, this is very green and fresh smelling - like a garden in the morning. I like it a lot! As it dries down the plum pushes its way to the front with the rose close behind. Unfortunately, plum tends to go a bit syrupy on me, but this one is just a hair on the side of being pleasantly sweet rather than overpoweringly so. Eventually a couple of hours later, the sandalwood warms things up and the rose goes a bit powdery - I like this stage more - it smells old-fashioned but I like old-fashioned scents quite a bit.

Very glad to try this one, but while I don't hate it, I probably won't keep it as part of my growing rose collection.

Edited by joopjoop

Snooty Rose: nice, warm, juicy scent with warm sandalwood. I guess I don't like bergamot in every blend, but it dries up pretty quickly in favor of red sandalwood and plum on me which is AWESOME. The only real complaint I have is that this Rose is too soapy for my tastes, I'm JUST starting to experiment with roses and I know this is the type I would not choose to wear! Snooty Rose has such warm notes to accompany it though that the rose stays waaaaay down in the background, for those that do like soapy rose!

Snooty rose starts off very sweet, and I definitely get brightness from the bergamot. As it dries it gets a little more of a seductive body from the sandalwood, oud, and plum. The plum sweetens the rose a touch, but melds with it very well. The sandalwood gives it a nice texture, not powder but not quite woody either, and paired with the oud it's a like a very soft incense.

On this Rose-lover, Snooty becomes a rose-sandalwood-oud blend, with whispers of bergamot at the beginning, & shadows of plum after it dries down. Not too sweet. An excellent balance of floral & wood. Sheer pleasure!

Was frimped this with my last order. I had reservations about this since BPAL's rose tends to go straight to baby powder on me, but something about the bergamot-rose combination keeps this from going in that direction on me. I mostly get the rose and citrus notes -- the plum, oud, and sandalwood are too subtle for me to really pick out. Instead of baby powder, I get a nice, fresh, citrus/floral blend. I probably don't need a 5ml of this, but I can definitely see myself reaching for the imp in warmer weather.

This is so lovely. It may have rose in the name, but it's not really about the rose on me. I actually get more plum and bergamot with a little rose to give it a traditional floral edge. It's not stuffy or snooty to me. It feels very approachable and fruity. It almost reminds me of a plum and rosehip tea. It's a surprise win for me!

Imp fresh from the lab: I get a sweet oud, but I can't really pick out the rose or the plum notes individually. No bergamot at all, sadly. Very little sandalwood on me even on the drydown. Dry, it's a bit more rosy. It's not really my sort of scent. I usually like rose perfume, but this one isn't punching my ticket.

Edited by RavenintheWind

In the imp: Lots of plum and red rose. Plum is not a note I particularly enjoy on my skin, but I'm trying this anyway since it's part of the Mad Tea Party line.

Wet: Red rose and plum, with the red rose being slightly stronger than the plum on initial application. However, it isn't long before the plum takes over.

Dry: Plum and red rose. Sometimes I get more plum, and sometimes I get more rose. The plum isn't allowing the other notes to come through on me. I was hoping to get some of the bergamot!

Verdict: This one is far too strong on the plum for me.

In the vial - sharp and woody, though not particularly rosy

Wet on the skin - very plummy but again a little sharp. It mellows a little as it warms, with a tiny breath of sandalwood.

Once the blend has had a chance to develop and the rose itself has stepped out from behind the plum and wood notes, it's lovely. One to wear when you feel like being cool and aloof. It definitely smells highbrow and supercilious, like a Victorian lady scholar raising her eyebrows at you when you eat crumpets at your desk and drip butter on her precious literary volumes .

In the Vial:

Woody, sweet plum. Surprisingly nice in the vial

On the Skin:

The oud comes to the fore with the sweet plum. Really lovely. The rose is just a tiny accent. Surprisingly close to the skin and the sandalwood reads more as redwood.

On the Drydown:

This dries down to a lovely fragrant rich wood with almost red wine notes. The rose isn't particularly evident. It's a bit light for me though

Frimp fresh from the Lab.

In the imp:  Rose and plum at first.  Then it settles into something very flowery and sweet.  But not rose, oddly.  Another flower that is so familiar to me,  but I can't quite come up with a name for it.  Maybe honeysuckle?  Or lilac?  It's very beautiful.

On my skin, wet:   4:01 pm.  The same gorgeous and very fresh not-rose flowery note.  Not a trace of fruitiness.

At 5 minutes:  Ah, here comes the fruit.  It is plum rather than bergamot.  The floral is still stronger.

At  10 minutes:  The scent is much the same, but lighter.  And if I keep sniffing, I can now pick up a little rose.  It reminds me very strongly of another BPAL oil, but I have so many of them I can't begin to guess what the other oil is.

At 20 minutes:  More complex and perfumy now.  About half floral and half fruit, with hints of other things. Very sweet.

At 30 minutes:  Same as above.

At 45 minutes:  Pretty much the same, except that a bit of sandalwood is starting to turn up in the background. I like that addition, as it helps to cut some of the sweetness.

At one hour:  It's more fruit than flower, now.  The sandalwood hasn't strengthened any, it's still barely there.

At 2 hours:  Very faded.  Much the same scent, with a little more wood that isn't recognizably sandalwood.

At 3 1/2 hours:  It is gone, for all practical purposes.  The sandalwood never did develop a real presence.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Predominant Notes:  None.  This is a very blended perfume.  None of the individual notes stand out distinctly.  I can detect some rose and plum, but I have to work at it.

Character:  Very floral, very sweet, a little fruity.  Feminine, fresh,  spring and summer.

5 out of 6 stars:  I like this very much, especially during the first 10 minutes, but wish the rose was more of a presence.

Edited by Ghost of a Rose

Wet on skin: smells very much like a classic red rose.

Dry on skin: Still classic red rose, but with a little tiny bit of a sexy spicy sweetness peeking through.  The first floral/rose scent that hasn't gone powdery on me, at last!  Like a sexier "The Rose", without the greenery.

In the imp: Plum, rose, sandalwood, oudh, bergamot, in order of strength and detectability. I can pick out all of the notes. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's predominantly rose and bergamot. As it dries, the bergamot dissipates. I get rose and plum in equal amounts, grounded by the sandalwood and oudh in the background. Far from snooty, I find that the plum and grounding notes warm and round out the rose here, making it richer, fuller, and -- to my nose and on my skin -- more enjoyable. The plum and sandalwood (not sure about the oudh) also have a known effect on my skin of keeping things low-throw, and they serve to keep the rose note much closer to my skin than rose usually is. The result is that it's probably a much more wearable rose than I usually get; I feel like I can wear this indoors without overwhelming everyone around me.