Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dracoo9

Snooty Rose

Red rose, oud, plum, bergamot, and red sandalwood.

In the imp, I'm getting rose and plum and citrus. This could be really, really interesting. On my skin, it's that same combo. Not entirely sure how this'll work out, but we'll see. ...And then comes the oud, whacking me over the head, and drowning out everything else. Sadly, this isn't going to quite work.

hmm.. this is a weird kind of rose smell.. :peep:

it's light but also sharp, "very strange indeed!" as Alice would have said.

red roses are usually much stronger and also the bergamot is very, very faint

plum is always wonderfull on my skin, si this again aswell

it is very sweet and loveley, reminds me of old houses where grandma's

living in with happy photo's on every wall

red sandalwood is behaving, so this will stay very nice on me!

and a fresh cup of rose tea brought to you when sitting on the porch out of the wind :heart:

rate: 7, super happy with my imp!

Really soft rose. The plum adds a nice note to it. The wood and bergamot really ground it.

In the imp: Rose flavored bubble gum.

Wet: Now this is my kind of smell! A heavy, sweet pink and red rose that hits your sinuses and the back of your throat. you can almost taste it! A bit too candied, but not like bubble gum, like a hard candy. Strawberry hard candy and roses. You know, the candy that has the wrapper that looks like a strawberry?

Dry: Lipstick and roses. (Why am I getting all of these strange things.) But I like the smell of lipstick. :lol:

Overall: I didn't know what to expect, except that if a scent has rose in it and no patchouli, I'll probably like it. And I like this. A bit too artificial for my taste, but I'll definitely use my imp. My skin works well with rose and by the end of the day, this will definitely stay strong and true on my skin.

this is sweet red rose and plum, It kinda reminds me of less sweet more fruity version of Thouros.

In the imp: Chocolate-y, almost like there's vetiver in here somewhere - surprising.

Wet on skin: Chocolate still apparent, although rose strengthens and shows itself as well. Not liking this much so far, as chocolate has never as a rule really been my thing in perfume.

As it dries: Flashes of plum start to show through the chocolate and rose.

After it dries: Unfortunately this smells like sweetened petroleum chapstick (you know the cheap kind you can get at drugstore checkouts?) or vaseline on my skin. Not appealing. The sandalwood (which I was really hoping for) and the bergamot never show themselves either. Plus, this is really quite faint.

Final opinion: Wouldn't mind giving this away to someone who will appreciate it more.

i love rose. sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't, depending on the type of rose, the amount of it and the other notes in the scent, so i honestly never know what will happen when i try on a rose scent. i am ambivalent about this scent. i don't love it, but i don't hate it either. i guess it's a darker rose with hints of plum and oud on my skin. kind of deep, but not as deep as gypsy queen...maybe more reminiscent of peacock queen, but a little duskier and warmer (if memory serves.)

Another stunning rose blend. Somehow the plum and bergamot tone down the crispness of red rose adding a fruity/citrussy note to it. Once the sandalwood appears the blend overall becomes dry, and dusty, but extremely comforting and soothing. Something I can always count on sandalwood doing. It's a red blend for sure. I love it.

Snooty Rose

Despite the name, I'm not getting much rose in this blend. Snooty Rose has an edge of dry woodiness (presumably the oud/red sandalwood) and citrus (bergamot). I can't pick out the plum. The sandalwood doesn't have the dry, almost powdery feeling that sandalwood often does in other blends; it smells spicier, which I imagine is the "red sandalwood" (a note I'm not familiar with on its own.) It's a little bit sharp, and almost makes my eyes and nose burn when I inhale deeply. Rose comes out more in the drydown but overall this blend gives me a headache. :(

Edited by sunlitgarden

Mmm, sweet rose! It's like Hope on me but a little bit less candied--sometimes Hope can be way too sugary. This tempers that sugar a bit so it's not tooth-achingly sweet. A very beautiful scent!

This seems like a rose scent I could wear. It's like a sweeter version of Stella McCartney which I always secretly loved but never owned.

The plum, bergamot and sandalwood are delish, and the rose isn't an in-your-face-headache-rose but more like rosewater.

After a few minutes, all I smelled was rose so I layered some Graveyard Dirt to get an idea of what Zombi would smell like and WHOA delicious. :eek:

In bottle: I’m liking the way the bergamoyt and rose interact. There’s a zestiness and a fullness, I’m suspecting comes from the plum. It does indeed manage to smell expensive. This is a mature sort of rose scent. Given what rose does on my skin, there’s no point in skin testing it.

Of all the Rose scents I've tried, Snooty Rose is the one that warranted a full bottle. I wanted a Rose scent that didn't just smell of Rose, but smelled mostly of Rose- a balanced Rose. This scent is it! The other ingredients seem to be there to enhance the Rose, make her shine in her best possible light.

The theme is Rose, it's all about her. The Sandalwood softens any sharpness, the Oud adds depth and mystery, the Bergamot lifts her up and twirls her around like a beautiful princess in a floaty dress, and the plum adds the "just right" amount of juicy fruit so that the whole effect maintains some sensuality.

It is a perfect, GENIUS blend, one that I was able to purchase a bottle of without any hesitation and which I enourmously enjoy draping over my skin like a cashmere glove, or draping around my neck like an exquisite, soft pink silk scarf...

I'm in love... :wub2:

Beautiful soft red rose petals and sweet plums. That's what it smells like.

I've tried so many rose blends from BPAL hoping to find the perfect one. I'm not in the mood for rose very often, and I'm really picky about rose notes. I only like the dewy soft petaly ones, not the green or loud or thorny ones. Until now my favorites were Moon Rose and Peacock Queen.

This is the kind of rose I like, and putting it with plum is brilliant. I love the Lab's plum note.

I'm pretty sure this one takes the prize as my favorite rose blend.

I'm slowly making my way through as many rose based scents as I can from the lab. This one is a soft and feminine blend. I would say it's not predominantly rose though. I smell mostly plum and woodish notes with a background of rose. I'm not a huge fan of plum notes. I don't hate them they just don't work on me. Snooty Rose is nice but I'm not wow'd by it.

Imp: Mainly it smells fruity, like the bergamot and plum are the top notes. I have no idea what oud smells like and let it dry down while I googled the hell out of oud.

Wet: It goes on with a stronger rose scent and something almost a little peachy. Very velvety.

Dry: I quite like this. The rose/plum combo is lovely and it blends well with the bergamot. It reminds me a lot of Venice but without the cloying lemon note Venice had. It also reminds me a little of Versailles. The sandalwood is very gentle and quiet and I'm still not one hundred percent sure I'm smelling the oud. This winds up being primarily plum/bergamot and then rose on my skin.

Throw: Minimal.

Overall: I'm not sure. I really liked the wet phase of this but the longer I wore it, the less it really seemed like something suitable to my tastes and personality. Ultimately, the citrus/sweet fruit aspect was just too front and centre of the scent and that's not something I prefer. It is definitely a good rose-without-being-too-rose-y scent.

At first Snooty Rose is big and lush. The juicy plum note makes the dominant rose note shine on my skin, it's a very realistic rose scent. The opening is bright and evocative thanks to a small but effective amount of bergamot, which prevents the rose from feeling too heavy. At this early stage Snooty Rose is dewy and fresh.

As Snooty Rose wears on it develops a dark, mysterious edge that is lacking in many rose fragrances on the market today. It's the musky sandalwood base that gives Snooty Rose this sheer, darkened overtone. In keeping with BPAL's style Snooty Rose is a romantic fragrance with just a hint of gothic mystery. It makes me think of black chiffon and red foiled chocolates, the kind of noir romance that is often sorely lacking in real life.

Rose is totally hit or miss on me. I love the lab's plum note, so I am pretty excited; however, sandalwood and other woods tend to amp like crazy on me, so I'm not sure how this blend will play out.

In the imp this is sort of a sweet, red fruity rose. I think the plum gives it that sweet fruitiness, but I don't really notice the plum on its own. I also didn't notice the woods so much, but that doesn't mean I still won't amp them!

Very rosy on my skin. Sweet fruity candy rose grounded by soft woods. As it dries though, at least on me, it gets more and more rosy, and I sort of lose that juicy sweetness...hopefully I won't lose it too much!

On full drydown this sort of went to a candy powdery rose scent. Sort of pleasant, but not like they sexy juicy fruity candy rose I got when this was wet. If I wore scent lockets I might have held onto this, because I think it would be a great locket scent, but since I like perfume I can wear on my skin, this one will have to go. My skin just powderized it way too fast!

I agree with a lot of the other reviews that the rose isn't the standout note in this blend. I do get a lot of rose, which makes me glad. I have yet to smell a BPAL rose that I don't like. In general, I am a big rose fan, and nothing makes me feel prettier or more feminine than a nice rosey perfume. Snooty Rose does employ a rather soft rose; it isn't as in-you-face "OMG I am such a pretty flower" as the majority of rose-based scents are. Since this one has "rose" in the name, I actually expected it to be more rosey. However, I am totally smitten with Snooty Rose precisely because it isn't an over-the-top rose. It reminds me of a very chic rose scent, where you get an idea of a rose, but it isn't so overwhelming that it smells soapy or fake. I think it is probably the oud that tempers the rose so well, and I get a hint of bergamot too. When I started blabbing to a friend (who also likes pretty rose scents) about BPAL I told her that Snooty Rose reminds me of a very high-end niche perfumer type rose.

My rating for Snooty Rose is 4.5. I have an imp, and I am absolutely going to upgrade for a full bottle in the near future. This is a good date night scent when you don't want to be too obviously sexy, or a good day scent if you need to feel pretty and confident.

In the imp: Red roses and candied orange peel. Oooo.

Wet: All of the above with plum making it richer. This is fancy! I feel like I'm smelling a still life.

Dry: The bergamot's faded out, sandalwood's faded in in the background, and the foreground's like 50/50 rose/plum. That's kinda cool, esp since when I tested it on my mom she got like 50/50 rose/orange. Both combinations work very well.

4/5!

I think I found my rosey grail! I've been looking a long time for a rose that doesn't go powdery or smell like dried rose petals. Blood Rose is nice, but a little too grapey. Two, Five and Seven, is very pretty, but a little greener than I wanted. The oud and plum give this blend just the right amount of body and jammieness I was looking for. I bought this at C2E2 and Beth said this was one of her favorite rose blends, so I was definitely sold.

Snooty Rose is not actually terribly rosy on me. Wet, the sandalwood comes through strongly, but when it dries the plum really emerges. What you end up with is something that is fruity/sweet but still grounded by the wood; very nice indeed. The plum in Bordello hated me, so I'm pleased that it works so well here.

Snooty Rose is my ideal kind of rose, It's elegant but has a surprising depth and complexity that takes it away from the average garden rose scent. It's deeply romantic, sensual and perfect for those who like their flowers with an touch of noir.

What starts off as a dewy, full-bodied red petals quickly morphs into a grown-up, woody rose. The plum note adds an almost jam-y element to Snooty Rose without making it smell fruity, on my skin there is also a hint of musk which gives the scent a gauzy feel. As it dries the sandalwood becomes more prominent and there is a touch of powder which fades beautifully over a few hours.

Absolutely worth a full bottle for me, and I'll be buying a replacement soon.

This is so surprisingly nice.

Roses and I don't usually get along; they have a tendency to turn bitter, sour, or powdery on my skin, depending on what they're blended with. But plum is unfailingly wonderful on me, and has saved blends that otherwise would never have worked, and the rest of these are some of my favorites, so I rolled the dice...and I'm so glad I did.

In the imp, it's rosy plum candy, extra sweet, with a tiny bite from the bergamot. It's pretty much the same fresh on skin, candy-sweet with bergamot dancing in and out for few minutes and keeping it from being completely saccharine. Drying down, the sandalwood amps up and does its best pencil-shavings impression, but luckily it quickly settles into a slightly powdery, incense-y background note. The rose and plum settle back, into a bed of delicious, resinous oudh (Can I take a moment to profess my undying love for oudh here? It's delicious, and absolutely indescribable. I can never get enough of it, it smells like pure magic to me.) It spends a long time this way, just a cloud of rose-tinged oudh with a subtle plum and incense backdrop floating around me and making me smile. So, so pretty.

With the way this behaves on my skin, I don't really get the 'snooty' aspect of this blend, although I'm definitely not complaining. It actually reminds me more of some attars I've smelled on Indian and middle eastern friends of mine. It's completely lovely, and I'm keeping this imp and considering a bottle.