Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
TheIceMaiden

High-Strung Daisies

Daisy, pink carnation, pink pepper, and sugar.

when this is wet, it smells like inexpensive hair care products?

but let it dry a bit, and wow. swap bubblegum/sugar for a darker pink berry note, and this is just like a CT:IV that i have. very pink peppery (the combination of carnation and pink pepper is great). though i love pink pepper and carnation, and now know that i love them together, the sugar is a bit much for me, but people who love sugar scents should definitely try this! i don't rule out wanting to wear this on frilly girly tea party sorts of days.

eta: after a few hours, all the pinkness is suddenly gone and i'm left with a vanilla wrist. hmm. Edited by Shollin

In the imp, this smells pink and sweet. It actually reminds me of cotton candy. I can see why people have mentioned bubblegum.

On my skin, this is so girly and lovely. It's like pink cotton candy and a hint of sweet, innocent, slightly clean floral.

High-Strung Daisies is cotton candy, a clean sundress, and a handful of pink, sugared flowers - very pretty. :smilenod:

I really like High-Strung Daisies, and I find that I like it more and more as it sits on my skin. It's a very charming little scent :wub:. It's not an aggressive fragrance, but it does have good staying power; it just sort of dances around me in a light, pink cloud... I kinda love it.

Little Bird's review of High Strung Daisies is almost exactly what I wanted to say, so I won't repeat all of that. I just want to add that I wish it lasted longer than it does because it really is pretty. I could see giving this scent to a little girl to get her started with her collection. It smells so fresh and young. This might require a whole bottle to slather and love lavishly.

From the description alone on this one I was seriously tempted to order a 5 ML untested. I'm glad I didn't. It's pretty, and if I didn't already have a cotton-candy-carnation blend in Pink Moon 07 I might like it more. I really wanted that pink pepper note, but it doesn't show up on me. If anything it was a little sweeter and powdery than Pink Moon. I'm going to let it settle for a month in hopes that the pepper comes out, but otherwise I have other scents I like more that fill the same niche.

Edited to fix redundancy

Edited by kawaiiferreto

This reminds me a lot of Pink Moon 07 (which I LOVE), and when I was at DSWC I ended up buying a 5ml because it was so wonderful. Normally I'm a patchouli/leather/vetiver RAWR kind of girl, but Beth's carnation note is just too wonderful to pass by.

Very bright and pertly sweet with a little nibble in the background, like a kitten who hasn't yet figured out how to use soft paws - and fluffy and fierce and spiky all at the same time, while being perfectly precious.

This is very bright and fizzy to me. It reminds me of these fizzy strawberry lace sweets that I love, though my boyfriend says it reminds him of Juicy Fruit. The dry-down is very like Strawberry Moon 09 to me. So glad this is GC!

On wet, it definitely reminded me to Pink Moon 05 - there was a certain sugaryness against a sharp carnation note. As it dries, I got more of the 'daisy' note, which again, is a little green and sharp and kinda reminds me to dandelions. Fortunately, that sort of calms down and just dries to a very soft, sugary sort of daisy.

It's like if the daisy had some sort of nervous high pitch conniption, fainted, and now she's fine. ;)

I'm not sure this is bottle worthy, but part of me really really wants to keep the imp because there aren't enough BPAL blends out there with a strong 'daisy' component.

I skipped the imp and went right for a bottle of this, since I was sure I'd love it based on the notes and my fondness for carnation in pretty much any form. And I do like it...but it wasn't really what I was expecting.

First, as other reviews have mentioned, I get a very strong fruity bubblegum note when I first apply HSD. I can't for the life of me figure out what from the listed description would smell like bubblegum, but that is all I smell at first. After about 15 minutes, I can smell the peppery sweetness of carnation, but it's very faint.

After about an hour on my skin, I can smell...something...but it's faint and nondescript. As I said, this isn't an unpleasant, "get it off me now" scent, but it was a surprise not to adore it as I expected. I think I'll keep the bottle and wear it on days when I want a very light fragrance. I'm also very curious to see how this scent ages.

There's this soda called Vimto. It basically tastes like a Shirley Temple in a can. It's sweet and pink and slightly strawberry-gum flavored. High-Strung Daisies smells like how that tastes, plus a bit of a kick from the pepper. Strawberry gum plus a bit of spunkiness. It's happy and girly and feisty, and I kind of love it.

Watermelon Jolly Ranchers! Well, wet anyway. :D

For a minute I was almost wondering if this was a mislabeled imp of 'Tis the Voice of the Lobster (haven't tried it, but that watermelon note was so distinct) but it gets more floral as it dries.

Oh, wow, I just don't know how to describe this. It's innocent and pink-- blushing little girl perfume. Yet it's still very complex. The notes are really well blended and nothing stands out very much. I was actually hoping that this would be mostly carnation and pink pepper (God, I love pink pepper) but, though they're definitely there, the spiciness of those notes seems to be completely matched by the sweetness of the sugar-- and it's a grainy, crystalline sugar... like that colored rock candy on a stick, not like icing. But this scent doesn't feel like a sugar-slathered mess either because, as I said, everything is perfectly balanced.

Cracked pink peppercorns, sugar cubes, and rosy carnations. It somehow gets across that slight tinge of happy mayhem and insanity that I get from Tweedledee and Cheshire Cat as well. How does Beth do that? High-Strung Daisies is unlike anything else I have, so even though it definitely requires a certain mood to wear, I'll be hanging on to this one. :luv2:

In the imp: pink and girly indeed! But the spicy bits keep in from being too sweet.

Wet: *does snoopy dinner dance* the sugar note stays true, and I agree that it's grainy sugar. Wonderful. After trying Hope and Faith and having them both turn into a heavy creamy mess on me sugared flowers make me weary, but this is wonderful, and really well balanced between sweet and spicy. I don't get any bubblegum thankfully, but that's a scent I usually associate with super sweet berries anyway.

Dry: There's something off in this, perhaps the pink pepper? Um. I should love it, and instead I just like it. Those daisies certainly are high-strung, maybe a little to much so for me. I don't know why but this puts me on edge.

Verdict: I'll keep the imp, but I don't like how it makes me feel. High.strung in a bottle.

Edited by inkaddict

Imp: A plasticy sort of sweet.

Wet: The daisy is really the strong note here. It starts out very cold and fresh. No bite of pepper or spice from the carnation.

Dry: The daisy develops sort of a floral musk on me. Not at all what I like. It reminds me of pollen.

Overall: I had imagined this might be a replacement for Pink Moon 07 but I couldn't have been more wrong.

In the vial: what does daisy smell like? I get carnation and sugar, but the imp doesn't tell me much. I need to try it on my skin.

Wet on skin: peppery, pink and sweet - in that order. The sugar seems to be the white sugar lump type from Plastic Pink Flamingo. The daisy note is very realistic and takes me back to long summers of sitting in the school playing field making daisy chains in a gingham dress. As a perfume, though, I don't like it.

Dry on skin: daisies and sugar and pepper oh my! An interesting concept but not for me.

This has a similarity to Pink Moon 07, which is one of my all time favorite Lunacies.

The floral notes in this are so pretty and fresh. Even with the sugary notes this smells very natural to me...I think it's because the florals are more on the bitter/green end of the scale. I was worried there might be a syrupy aspect to the sweetness but it never turns. There's a semi-spicy base lurking around that keeps this from being too sickly sweet. It fades pretty quickly and becomes sort of dusty and powdery.

This is precious and I love wearing it. I had to move this into my top ten because I wear it so much!

This is a sweet, peppery light floral blend. The daisy note is so creamy, sunny and warm smelling. I just LOVE this! I agree with the comparison to Pink Moon, it's very similar (less pink, a little more on the sunny side). This is the perfect floral blend for someone who is afriad of floral blends. It's sugary, sweet, peppery with a nice kiss of honeyed floral notes.

Oh yeah, I'll be using my whole imp. :wub2:

Whoa, this one is SWEET! Dry, it is quite reminiscent of a blend I've smelled before, but I can't think of what. Quite candy-like. Maybe Candy Phoenix? If that's the one, this one is better in my opinion. Dry, there is a bit of odd floral happening. Kind of citrussy somehow, maybe it's the pink pepper? At any rate, this blend is much too sweet for me, but I can see why it could be very popular. Much better than other sweet candy blends, as it's sweet but not fake. There is a vague resemblance to Hope here, but distant. This is much more sweet and citrussy/peppery. Off to swaps with ya!

High Strung Daisies is pink pepper, sugar and carnation to me. This is a great every day scent for me. Some florals are too light on me, this one is sweet but also just a small amount of spice to make it deeper. :wub2: Sometimes carnation can be too much for me, but this is perfect. I had nothing to compare it to as I haven't smelled Pink Moon 07. However, I did use Candy Phoenix last year and that was much, much stronger than this.

I've begun a love affair with many sugared scents and Daisies works great for me. It wafts enough for me to smell it but doesn't seem to carry much to others. Which works for me so that I can wear it to yoga without the scent bugging other people.

Oh good heavens. This is lovely. In the most perfect, innocent, girlish way. Daisy chains, candy floss & fresh spring sunshine. If ever I needed a scent that would shake off all the cynicism & analysis that comes with adult life, this would be it - this makes me want to kick off my shoes & go watch the bumblebees & hunt for four-leaf clovers...

This is a pretty, fresh and floral scent that trends towards sweet. It's not a soapy or powdery floral, but the daisy is stronger than the carnation. I had hoped to get more carnation from this so off to the swap pile it goes.

I don't like most florals but I love carnation, and since I also like pink pepper and sugar I decided to give this one a go. It's very light and sweet, with just a hint of the bite of the carnation and pink pepper peeping out from behind the daisies. It seems like something you'd wear with a sundress in the middle of summer.

In the imp, this is a sweet, sugary pink bubblegum scent to my nose. Very sugary. Cavity inducing sugary. Almost like that bubblegum that came in the tape dispenser thingy that was popular when I was a kid...

Yes, on my skin still very very pink and bubblegummy, with an undertone of richer carnation. Mostly super pink and sugary though. Bubble tape! That's what the gum was called...

This has a moderate throw and good wear length-it mellows out after some time on the skin but if you don't like sugary blends, stay away from this one! High-strung is a good descriptor-it's like a little girl in a poofy pink dress running around squealing after a sugar binge. Cute and girly and fun.

Sweet, pink and sugary ~ but still manages to be flirty without being too bubblegum. It's a fun, happy scent and will definately enjoy my imp. The only downfall is that it doesn't last at all on me.

Spicy bubblegum. :blink: I wasn't sure what BPAL's daisy note would smell like, but I was hoping for something a little like the discontinued Happy Daisy from B&BW, which was a clean, light floral. This...isn't. I usually love carnation, but all I'm smelling is bubblegum with sneezy pepper on top. Do not want.

oh this is totally not me.

in the imp and wet, it's all sugar- bubblegum, cotton candy, something bright pink and that would make my teeth ache.

dry, it's cotton candy and flowers. it's...young. it's very very young. it reminds me of something that you would market to a five year old. it's still sickeningly sweet. i could see this on a kid on a complete sugar buzz who's running rampant and getting into everything.

this is completely not my style- it's about a 180 from what i normally look for. i was hoping for something springy and slightly sweet, but this is...i'm not sure what it is but it's not all that pleasant.