Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

'Tis The Voice Of The Lobster

A woody, musky-weird base glooping over with blackberry preserves, a twist of mandarin, strawberry juice, pulverized watermelon, and a handful of smushed gardenia petals.

Something similar to Bat of Virtue and somewhat to Bewitched. This is all sweet fruit and berries over a musky base to help them blend and something slightly sharp in the background. Something in this doesn't work for me, but I can't pick out the note. After a few minutes, it becomes sandalwood-esque with a less wet, more jam-like berry background.

Edited by delighted

Initially this is a burst of fruit candy, and then the watermelon comes to the forefront. It smells like watermelon Bubblicious.

As it dries, the strawberry comes out a bit, but I'm not getting any of the blackberry I had hoped for. I don't get anything musky or floral.

Once fully dry, this essentially smells like fruit salad. Not unpleasant in any way, just not what I want to smell like.

This is one of a few I've tried so far that would be an instant bottle purchase, were it not for what it ultimately dries down to on me. I didn't think I was a huge fan of fruit anything, but I LOVE the wet stage of this - the combination of fruity and woody.

In the imp: Woods and musk. Cannot detect fruit.
Wet on me: Explosion of fruitiness, backed by woods and musk. Shouldn't work, but does. At first I cannot really detect individual notes, then the strawberry and especially watermelon come to the fore. Not too sweet, just incredibly juicy. A subtle aquatic tone.
Dry: The berries regain some ground from the melon, & the fruit takes on an incense-y quality, more blended with the musk and wood, with a hint of gardenia. Still weird & lovely. Unfortunately, after about an hour it turns into just gardenia and musk on me, then disappears. I'm not much of floral fan, so this makes me a sad panda.

I don't know why but my skin just seems to gobble this up. Even slathered on, I get almost no throw and it fades fast. If I'm feeling frivolous I may still consider a bottle, just so I can douse myself with the stuff and enjoy that first hour of fruity juiciness.

Edit to update: After some ageing, the top notes seem to stick around a bit longer. I've gone through 2 imps now, & as I've had a lot of trouble finding a warm-weather scent that I like, I need a bottle of this ASAP. :smilenod:

Edited by spikyfairy

Well, this cemented the idea I had about fruit not being my thing. I thought the mandarin and gardenia would dominate but no such luck.

In the imp: sweet musk. Very sweet, like candy, but no particular fruit coming out.

On wet: STRAWBERRY. Artificial strawberry. Nothing else. Then it morphs into Christmas strawberry. I don't know what that means but my roommate confirmed it.

Dry: orange and strawberry candy. Had to wash it off.

Edited by roseus

Kooky poem and a fun blend to match. The wood is obvious in the vial but goes away completely on drydown. Fruity and musky, thick and dark with a touch of sweetness. Weird indeed, but not strong or off-putting! Just something that makes you lean in to sniff and think “curiouser and curiouser.” ;)

Edited by bellumed

Definately getting a big whiff of watermelon in there but there's something clashing in it for me. Probably the mandarin/strawberry combination, and on my skin it goes a bit plasticy or just artificial hard fruit candy... However, looking at this from an unbiased perspective, it's definately a bit woody and musky alongside a plethora of juicy fruits!

This sounds weird.

I... yes, that's weird. The strongest impression on me when wet is fruity sugar, chiefly blackberry sugar, with mandarin and strawberry and... wood. A wood almost like a sawdust.

Lobster dries on me into a vague, impressionistic still-life painting of sawdusted fruit.

"This reminds me of....Vera Wang's Princess Night" was my first thought. Very fruity and I was getting a LOT of watermelon, so that made sense when I went onto the BPAL website and read the notes afterwards. It's almost alarmingly strong at first, but tempers down almost immediately. I think this will make a nice eau de toilette strength scent for hot days.

I've had quite a few frimps from the Alice in Wonderland collection, including some repeats which I'm not unhappy about. I've enjoyed all of them so far, and am considering ordering bottles of Alice, Eat Me and Queen of Hearts. The frimp system works, LOL.

Wow watermelon. This is the silliest scent I've ever scented! And then it totally changes and it's super pretty and summertime. I didn't expect to like this at all when I sniffed the watermelon, but woah, what a revolution.

Strangely, this smells like incense on me. It's similar to Chaotic from the RPG line, but with something sweet and just barely fruity in the background. Every once in a while I catch a faint whiff of melon.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp I smell that “woody, musky-weird base,” which makes me think it’s going to smell very weird on my skin, but it doesn’t. It smells like fruit salad with an extra helping of blackberries. As it dries down, it morphs to musky blackberry, very like Bewitched. I never do smell gardenia, which is a relief, because I prefer fruit notes to florals.

The woodsy musky note sticks around but also stays close to the skin. This Lobster is very nice for a warm summer day.

The fruits in here are great when wet. Very sweet, citrusy, and summery. However, I get a smell in the background that ruins it for me, and I'm guessing it's the gardenia. It's wonderful until I get that note on my skin.

okay so I barely get any fruits, maybe in the opening but that's about it.

On me this scent is Musk and Gardenia and it's rather pretty

I love this, and want a big bottle. It's gloriously fruity! I can't stop sniffing myself when I wear it!

Wet: ...Like a woody beach?

On: Woah, a mix of things here that I can't quite put my nose on. "Musky weird base over..." is definitely a good description

Drydown: Like sweet lacquer on me :( It is a bit cloying unfortunately. Will need to pass it on

In the imp: Eye-watering fruit.

Wet on my skin: SWEET. Almost sickly-sweet fruit and gardenia at first. I fear I have made a grave mistake. I KNOW what gardenia does, and I know what anything in the orange family does about 3/4 of the time.

Dry: This...dries into something that's actually rather nice, even if it's not quite to my personal scent tastes. The gardenia poofs, probably because of the musky-woody base, which also keeps the fruits from totally spiraling out of control. It ends up smelling like a delicious fruity dessert pie for about an hour, then fades to tart, juicy blackberry jam over spicy musk. I'm gonna keep the imp, because this is SO far out of my usual scent profile and yet somehow works anyway.

All the fruits are there in spades. I get the jammy blackberry, watermelon, strawberry, and orange. It's remarkably sweet, but it's not tooth-aching if that makes sense. I don't get any muskiness or floral aspects. It's just some sweetened fruits. I like watermelon as a scent because it's always so playful and this fits that description to a t. While a lot of sweet things can get overwhelming, this stays at a nice bearable level. A weird win for me!

watermelon! no wonder my child snatched up this imp! she has been sick with the flu for days so to amuse her, we have been going through my massive box of imps and sniffing away. i gave her a baggie and whatever she liked she could keep. it gets a little musky and sharper on the dry down but yeah... watermelon!

I'm testing a fresh imp and an aged one to compare the two.

In the fresh imp: The candy-like watermelon is the most prominent note, followed by the strawberry juice, blackberry, and mandarin, with the woody, musky base in the background.

Wet (fresh imp): The watermelon candy note reigns. I am getting more of the mandarin on my skin than I did in the imp. Then the strawberry juice and blackberry join in with the other fruit notes. The prominence of the watermelon in this makes it smell like watermelon-flavored Jolly Ranchers on me. The combination of all of the fruit notes makes this a bright, playful scent.

Dry (fresh imp): It's still sufficiently fruity, with the watermelon still in the main role, but now the gardenia petals have emerged, and behind that, there's the musky, woody base (which I think contains some red patchouli) mingling with the other notes.

In the aged imp: Not as fruity. The woody, musky base is more prominent. The watermelon note is still strong, but not as strong as in the fresh imp, and there's a strong patchouli note in this aged one.

Wet (aged imp): The watermelon dominates, but it still isn't as strong as it is in the fresh imp. It still smells like I've dived into a pile of Jolly Ranchers, but the woody, musky base is more noticeable here. The scent is not as bright as the fresh version, as it is weighed down by the musk and patchouli.

Dry (aged imp): A very odd musky, fruity floral and woods scent. The musk and fruit dominate (mostly watermelon and blackberry), but the fruits still aren't as strong here. The woody base, with what I believe contains red patchouli, is a lot stronger during this phase than it is in the fresh imp.

Verdict: This is too strong on the candy-like fruits for me (I'm not a fan of watermelon or watermelon candy), but of the two imps, I actually prefer the fresh one. The musk and the woods just make the scent weirder as it ages. This isn't one I would elect to wear, but I'll hold onto at least one of the imps or Mad Tea Party completion purposes.

In the imp: sweet candy and ....something? Wood?

Wet: Jolly Ranchers and musk. No wood, though. Mostly just musky watermelon Jolly Ranchers. Very artificial. You know when something's so sugar-sweet it cycles into bitter? I'm getting that.

Dry: NOW I'm getting some of the wood. The candy is dying off and the wood and musk are taking over, and... I'm not sure I like that any better. Whatever musk is in this is one that doesn't agree with me now, it's leaning too close to BO. I wonder if that's the gardenia asserting itself, as I relate a lot of florals to smelling like that. Way later on the deeep drydown (about 4 hours) everything seems to have balanced out into a gentle candy and ever-so-slightly floral scent, though it's quite faint now. Shame it couldn't be this nice the whole time!

I never thought I'd say this, but this is too young AND too weird for me.

Edited by Juliamon

Imp: sweet wood

Initial skin: GOOY SWEET BEEERRRRIIIES of indiscernible origin.

Drydown: Daw, the goopy strawberry/blackberry amazingness i was excited about gets quickly replaced by watermelon. That is a powerful watermelon shew.

Another reviewer said it best. This is watermelon bubbilicious.

The wood comes out on further drydown and just sort of makes the whole thing extra odd to me. Spiffy scent, but super weird and confusing for me.

Nailed the mark. lol

In the bottle: Watermelon bubble gum. The kind from the late 90s that made your mouth water like crazy when you chewed it, despite not actually being overly sweet tasting.

Wet: same as in the bottle – straight up watermelon gum. Reminding me of all the watermelon themed candy from the late 90s early 00s I both loved and hated. (Probably because none of it tasted like actual watermelon, but it wasn’t bad just...odd.)

Warm: Still gum (although it's adding some strawberry gum to the watermelon party)...but a hint of something else is lingering at the edges. It removes a bit of that sugary undertone and replaces it with something..heavy and woodsy. It’s barely perceptible though.

Drydown/dry: The watermelon/strawberry gum vanishes with a snap of it’s fingers, like the oddest magic trick I’ve ever scene smelled. Suddenly I’ve got nothing but forest. Crushed and decaying pine needles beneath your feet, bark dust, and something heady and musky.

Last: This lasted all day on me

Throw: Medium throw - standing near me others could catch it, but it didn't fill the space or linger.

I love the watermelon aspect of this scent. It’s playful, and fun, and summery. It smells like a part of my childhood. But I do not like the switch to woodsy. I have trouble with woodsy smells (I’m not sure what the note is, but faux pine smells trigger my allergies something fierce, and this is no exception. It made my sinuses and lymph nodes swell a bit, and made my throat scratchy.) Because of my allergies, this had to be gifted away. If I could get that straight watermelon/strawberry scent without the 180, that would be fantastic and an immediate addition to my summer scents.

An imp from around 2011.  This sounds like something I will like.  

In bottle: strawberry bubblegum.  

On skin: even stronger; still smells like strawberry bubblegum.  

After a few hours: the strawberry bubblegum scent is pretty much all I can smell.

I like it in theory; it's a nice smell (I like strawberry bubblegum!), but it's not one that I personally want to smell like.  Probably will not be keeping this imp.  

Wet: Watermelon, strawberry, and a smidgen of gardenia in the background. Sweet, juicy, and fresh! (Btw, HELLO WATERMELON. I NEED YOU IN MORE BLENDS.)

Dry: The watermelon-strawberry tango is still going strong, and may even be sweeter than the wet stage (which was borderline candy-like). The gardenia has mostly left the building; it's like her foot is out the door, and she could disappear at any moment.

It's a fun, bright, fruity blend.. and I love it. (Also, Puddin, if you can read my mind: MAKE THIS AS A HAIR GLOSS.)