Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Twinkle, Twinkle Little Bat

A sparkly, batty little scent: green tea, melon, mint, lime rind, and champagne grape with lemon balm, mullein, and toadflax.

Had to let this one settle for a few weeks before I tried it on... I definately get melon and lime right off the bat with a little hint of mint. Smells really good on me, great for summer! However, after a few hours I loose the melon/lime/mint and it goes to this weird green musk kinda smell. I don't like that part but my man likes it. I can always refresh the scent by applying more and it doesn't get overpowering. All in all I like it!

Grace fell in love with this at will call and had to have it, so I decided to sneak a quick skin test in when she wasn't looking. In the bottle, I could easily mistake this for Yemaya because the most dominant note is the honeydew melon. Dry, the mint and lime add a sparkling quality that make this perfect for the hottest summer days.

Out of the whole recent addition to the Mad Tea Party, Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat appealed to me most. I think it might be due to the fact that I love mixing green tea sorbet with melon sorbet, and this reminded me of that. Or it might be that I know many of the fruit notes from the other new scents don't work on me, but I wasn't sure about melons. Either way, this one sounded good, and when I sniffed it at Will Call, it also seemed quite good - even though my first impression was, "Ooh, that'd make an awesome smoothie." So, generally assured of awesome, I bought an imp, and here we go.

In the imp: Fresh sweet melon, somewhere between canteloupe and honeydew, with a very slight tang that I assume is coming from the lime.

Wet on skin: Very juicy sweet melon, which still seems to be some weird genetic recombination between honeydew and canteloupe. The citrus I thought I was getting now seems to be gone, but there's something indistinctly drier lingering under all the melon juice now.

Drydown: Freshly dry, melon is still the most prominent scent by far, though I think it's leaning more toward the honeydew side of things by this point. The green tea is also evident, though it's like something the melon is suspended in, rather than an even mix. Not really getting the indistinctly drier thing now, either. At one hour in, everything has faded quite a lot, to a level that seems almost excessively faint seeing as I've only been wearing it for an hour, though the actual balance hasn't particularly changed within that faintness.

Five hours later: I was about to write "gone," and to note that it had been that way since about the two-hour mark, but when I sniffed really hard, I got a faint whiff of something that seemed like sweetish wood. It's very very faint, and I'm resultantly not sure if I'm identifying it correctly at all, but there you go.

Overall: This is a wonderful fresh melon scent...right up until it disappears, which happens incredibly quickly on me. I definitely like it quite a lot, particularly for hot weather, and I think I could get away with wearing it and not craving melon all day (which is not the case with some scents with food elements), but it gets gone so fast that any talk of wearing it for an extended period of time becomes completely moot. I will probably end up swapping this (or figuring out how to make it into soap instead), but I should note that I also did attempt making a smoothie based on the notes in here, and that turned out awesome, so I'll still be enjoying Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat even with the short wearlength.

Origin: Fresh from the Lab.

Initial Thoughts: This one is a complete shot in the dark. The only note in it that I know I enjoy is the mint.

In the Vial: MELON! With a dash of citrus from the lemon balm or lime rind and a slight herbal trace from somewhere. But it's definitely MELON!

Wet: It's more just melon now, with the tea emerging to tone it down so it's not so MELON! The herbal impression is stronger right now. The citrus is almost nonexistent and I have yet to detect mint at all.

Drydown: The melon fades and the citrus perks up, with the tea holding firm all the while. Someone's comment upthread of a selection of teas on the tray is apt, I think. Still no mint, though.

Verdict: A playful, interesting scent. I wouldn't have thought I would like it after the initial MELON! start, but it's pretty. I'm not sure I'd get a bottle of it, though.

In the bottle: Limes and mint with just a hint of melon. A very bright scent.

Wet: Melons and lime and I think I am getting some tea! Sharp and crisp and bright.

Dry: This is a bright and shimmery scent! I can't quite place all the notes at the moment, there is definitely melon and mint and tea - but it somehow seems to sparkle in my nose!

A while later: It is over 9 hours since I applied it, and I can still smell it if I sniff my wrists. Melon and mint and something sparkly. Delightful!

This starts out like sugared melon - the melon isn't quite ripe, so the sweetness comes from the sugar.

It's utterly charming.

It does dry down to something dusty, though, and I can't quite figure out what it is.

As everyone above me has mentioned, Twinkle Twinkle Little Bat starts out very much OHHAIMELON. Drying down, the green tea comes into the mix in the most gorgeous way while the mint calms the melon down a little. There's this absolutely wonderful sparkling effervescence throughout the blend that I assume comes from the champagne grape.

I liked this more and more as my skin test went on, despite a slightly disappointing wearlength. It's fruity, fizzy, and fun!

Fun, melon-y, citrus scent. Very appropiate for summer. So it's kinda too bad this didn't arrive earlier. It is bright, clean, and really yummy. It definitely has an Earth-Ox/Earth rat/Fire Pig vibe, so for those who love them twinkle will not disappoint.

In the imp: Pure melon!

Wet: Mmmm melon and fruit notes mixed with a bit of tea...it's like fruity tea! :yum:

Dry: Umm...as this dries is almost completely disappears :cry2: Noooo! I can smell the faint memory or something sweet and fruity. That's about it. *sigh*

Overall: A fun and pretty scent. I just wish it didn't fade so quickly on me.

Yay fizzy, fruity soda! Poof, two hours later and it's gone. It was melony and gree tea-like and the champagne and lemon balm also made background appearances while it lasted. I really love this one, though, even if it does call for constant reapplication.

In the imp it was all honeydew (or musk melon...)

Applied at 8:15am

On the skin, it's honeydew with a hint of green tea nothing else really shows up.

Two hours later

It's still melon, in a very yummy oh so awesome way. The green tea is coming out and giving it a nice well roundedness. I don't really smell any mint or lemon rind.

Lunchtime 12pm

The melon is slowly fading away and I'm left with a green tea scent, it smells floral, green.... almost powdery but not baby powder. Also getting a hint of other fruits but mostly sweet powdery floral.

5:30pm

I'm still getting wafts of green tea when I go in for a sniff. This is a very pretty scent that starts out on me fresh and sweet and becomes something refreshingly cozy ( like the cool side of the pillow in the middle of the night)

This is a definite keeper!

Imp: Lemon-lime sparkly, champagne bubbly, melon sweet...lovely!

Wet: Something a bit odd an musky along with, sadly, Jolly Ranchers.

Dry: Total sadness...the melon amps to sugar-high heaven. I can barely detect all the wonderful notes that should be there.

Overall: I really wanted to smell toadflax but it didn't stand a chance against the melon of doom.

In the vial: melon, melon, melon, melon, lime, mint, grape! Very smooth and yummy.

Wet on skin: candied melon first, then the other notes peek out. I get tea, and a little mint and lime. I have no idea what toadflax smells of. It remains smooth and sweet.

Dry on skin: I like this. It's a very sweet melon and green tea juice drink. The other notes are very much in the background. It's a very comfortable, easy-going scent and it stays sweet on me. Short wear length - unfortunately!

Melon, melon, melon. As it dries down I get more of the lemon balm and mint- none of the other notes stand out for me, unfortunately. It has a very short wear length, but it's a really fun, happy scent while it lasts.

One of my first purchases! Yay!

In the bottle: Melon and mint. Yum!

Freshly applied: melon, mint, and . . . soap?

After 15 minutes: Ugh. All soap. Not even good soap, either. This smells like Dial on my skin, dial and like the back of Bath & Body Works, where all the smells get muddled and gross.

I wish I was getting any of the lovely sugary scents everyone else seems to be getting!

Off to the swaps, sadly.

Edit: Almost a month later, I gave it another try . . . yep, still soap. Oh well.

Edited by hazakaza

Oy. I ordered this, prepared to love it. In the bottle, it smelled exactly as described......unfortunately, it smelled like all those lovely notes....mashed into a bar of soap.

On my skin, it smelled of soap. Not a bad smell, but definitely not fragrant. Just soap. Then it dried & clashed with my chemistry & became a sour nightmare. Think old soap in a mildewy dish.

I'm willing to give this one another try because I loved the idea of it, and because I think it has potential...if my skin doesn't murder it again.

In the imp: Sweet lime. Like limeade in the summer time or sweet lime candies. The lime is a bit artificial.

Wet on skin: Same sweet line as in the imp. It has a certain carbonated tickle in the nose:

Early dry down (10ish minutes): This tartens up as it dries on my skin and the lime note becomes less artificial. Now I'm smelling sliced slimes for drink garnishes mixed with a bit of sugar syrup. It's much fresher and less tooth aching than it was upon initial application. There's also something sour/sharp green-herbal in the background.

Late dry down (45ish minutes): Much tarter than I had expected from the description and previous reviews. It fades quickly, leaving a tart skin scent reminiscent of yuzu.

This is such a fun scent. I never would've picked it my myself but yay for the Lab for frimping me with it. In the vial it's melon and mint. On me it's a sparkly melon, very fruity, perfect for when it's warm outside.

In the imp: this is an awesome scent. Very juicy smelling almost like a melon Hi-Chew candy.

On the skin: same yummy melon, but now with a hint of the green tea and maybe a bit of the mint.

Overall: This is fantastic, even if it makes me crave Hi-Chews and I will definitely be getting a bottle. :wub2:

Melon! Though there are a bunch of notes in this blend, but it is mostly the melon that stands out to me. THe mint pops its head out a little bit a little while after drydown, but still mostly melon!

This may sound like a very strange description, but this smells exactly like the artificial melon I smelled in a Japanese soda I once had. Very sweet, very juicy, and just a touch artificial--but not in a bad way. I remember being really disappointed that I couldn't finish that drink due to the sugar content, but now I can smell it whenever I put on this perfume!

In the imp: Melon! A little citrus, a tad floral, very melon. Delicious, actually

Wet: Melon! The citrus comes out, it's really juicy and green without being very herbal. Lime rind - strong, mint - slight, green tea - lovely.

Drydown: The champagne scents from the Lab are awesome on me, so I get it nicely. The melon calmed a little, complimenting the slight minty green tea. This is creamy champagne with a hint of melon and lime now. Delicious!

5/5 = it's cute, the scents come through, it doesn't morph into grossness, the throw is decent, great spring scent! I really, really like it and may buy a bottle. This would be GREAT in a reed diffuser.

ADDED Mar. 7:

Imp: Fruity, delicious, not too much floral and a little bit of sweetness.

On skin: Blossoms into a delicious honeydew scent, a slightly bitter and pleasant tea scent emerges. It's turning out to be quite pretty; clean, delicious, and fitting with my chemistry.

Over time: Does NOT drown on me, doesn't amp to floral, no amber to create baby powder, lasts beautifully. The melon and lemon rind are crisp and fruity, the green tea is slightly warm but toned down with the mint, lemon balm, etc to create crispness without letting the sweet get overbearing. Unlike most fruity scents getting a little carmelized,

I love this scent hardcore. Light and beautiful and works well with my chemistry. I want this in my bodywash, my conditioner, a perfume spray... for all occasions. Nice enough for important occasions and work.

Love it! A great change of pace from my usual bpal scents, as I tend to go for heavier, warmer scents and deep bakery scents. Nice to have something light and sweet to wear!

Melon! But tempered and sharpened by herbs and something citrusy--much rounder and more satisfying than plain melon. I used to wear a chainstore melon scent that was refreshing but got too cloying after awhile--this one is more sophisticated and complex, much more pleasant to wear. I'll be using this a lot in the summertime, I think.

So little staying power but I love it anyway. It's darling. This has the same effervescent quality that reminds me of The Unicorn but with a sweetness. The melon is really pretty and doesn't ever turn into a syrupy fruit on me. The mild minty green in here is my favorite part...I've been into mint lately. I can see myself wearing this a lot more in warmer months even though it's a great pick-me-up now.

2 of my biggest scent hates out there are green tea and melon. Which is why it disturbs me that I like this scent. As soon as I sniffed the imp I started to giggle. I think the green tea takes that plastic/rubber smell out of the melon? I wouldn't wear it, but will gladly stick my nose in the imp when I need a smile.