Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

All In The Golden Afternoon

A bizarre blend of pineapple, tangerine, tobacco, apricot, and seltzer coated with hazy amber and heady sun-baked flowers.

forethought and blah blahs:
most definitely imagine the flowers from Disney's Alice in Wonderland!

in the bottle/imp:
flowers and a touch of warm orange

wet:
bright wet floral. fizzy.

dry:
warm and fruity, but i can't pick out specific ones. the amber is developing. can smell orange for sure now.
i seem to amp up the orange! i get 0 of the flowers.

overall opinion:
drys down to a warm orange amber.

verdict:
neutral leaning to feminine, very lovely, but not for me. off to the swaps!

This was a one of the very generously given freebies that came packaged with one of my orders. I'm very glad it was, as I would have probably never have ordered it other-wise looking at the notes, it doesn't seem like a scent that would be very appealing to me.

While my nose can't seem to pick out the individual notes, I have to say that this is a scent thats definetly worth a sniff! It is a very warm, and comforting scent in my opinion. Strangely enough, it seems to have an uplifting effect for whenever I find myself in a down mood, as my memory seems to tie it to the image of a lazy august evening, laying on the grass in the last rays of the sun with a warm, gentle breeze blowing.

It starts off a bright and somewhat vibrant scent on my skin, then slowly simmers down to a warm glow.

If you're up for a warm, fruity, "golden" scent, then this is probably the one for you.

Wow. THIS IS AMAZING. Starts off a bit soapy and kind of indistinguishably fruity and floral, not getting any amber or tobacco yet. On the dry down this just gets absolutely amazing… Golden amber with a touch of tobacco giving it an almost smoky edge without really making it smoky at all. The fruits are peachy golden and are adding a wonderful sweetness without being distinct while the flowers are most definitely late summer sun baked blooms that just add the most amazing bit of floral golden-ness, I want to say this has some kind of sunflower note. This reminds me of a more whimsical version of Et Lux Fuit going along with that whole golden vibe and is really just wonderful. I'll probably be needing a bottle of this. Complex and gorgeous for sure.

This one was really disappointing for me. The description sounded beautiful, but the imp smelled way sweeter than I had anticipated. When I put it on my skin, the tobacco blended funny with the apricot and smelled like a car air freshener. Not an entirely bad smell, but not something I would like to smell like, lol. Sadly, my body chemistry has decided that it did not like this one. :cry2: But! There is always hope for a room scent!! :joy:

I've decided that my new favorite scents for those horrible "dog days" of Summer will be anything described as 'fizzy' by BPAL. Golden Afternoon is a wonderfully fruity-but-not-too-fruity blend that has the same feeling as Golden Wave to me, albeit with seltzer rather than gin. Both are refreshing and happy-making to my nose, and will be perfect for next August when it's so hot and humid I just want to shoot myself.

Edited by OctoberGwen

I really loved this scent. It's really bright and sexy. I can't pick up individual notes, all I can say it smells fruity and a tiny bit bitter. 5/5

Bright, wet, sweet, and most definitely golden! In the imp, it's all bright pineapple and citrus -- the tobacco seems to be lurking somewhere in the background, but I don't pick up any florals or amber. The amber amps a bit on me after it's been on for a few minutes, giving just a little bit of depth and sexiness to all the fruitiness that's otherwise ensuing. This scent fades relatively quickly, however; it's gone after 4ish hours on me. I quite like this -- it's very evocative of hot, humid, lazy summer afternoons. It's not something I'd reach for often enough to justify a bottle purchase, but I'll keep the imp around for those times when I need some kind of olfactory reprieve from the midwest winter!

In the imp and fresh on: Light and very sweet. I'm definitely getting the fruits, especially the pineapple, but not much else. I'd have expected the tobacco to be more of a base note than it seems to be.

Drydown: Now the tobacco is coming out a bit more. Still more fruity than anything, and very low throw.

Long-term: The florals and amber show up after a few hours, and after that it doesn't change much. Staying power is low-to-average; after 12 hours, it's mostly gone.

Bottom line: Not awful, but not especially good either. I think it's worth keeping and making a second attempt, but it's likely to end up in the swap pile.

Frimped, unsure of age

In the imp: This is definitely a "yellow" scent. Very effervescent, the pineapple jumps out first.

On my wrist: The amber and tobacco come out and turn the yellowness of the scent to a rich gold. Still very fruity and the pineapple is dominating, no flowers what so ever.

Later: This just smells...overripe, way too sweet. Fruit sat out in the sun too long, so I guess the description is spot on, but it doesn't seem to be for me. Swaps.

Edited by Drae

In the imp: Department store perfume section. Erk.

On skin, wet: Still very heavily perfumey, with just a hint of something sweet.

On skin, dry: It's gotten a lot less perfumey. Now it's kind of toasty, kind of sweet, but also sharp and astringent. It's really hard to pin down this scent, it seems to be different from sniff to sniff.

After an hour: It's settled into something vaguely warm and spicy, most of the sweetness gone. I'm glad the apricot didn't turn horrible on me, but it's still just not a scent I would wear.

This kind of smells like soapy honey fruit at first. It then dries down to burnt caramel soap. This is probably one of the worst bpals ever on me.

Original imp

Wet: Fancy shampoo.

Drydown: Smoky and tropical. There’s something sort of sharp that I’m guessing is the seltzer. Sweet, clean flowers.

Dry: Clean, tropical flowers. Similar to Pele, but a touch more complex.

Aged (9 yrs) imp

Wet: Light & cheerful – a little sweet, a little bright. Happy flowers with a zippy hint of fruit.

Drydown: The zippiness of the fruit becomes more bold. A touch of smokey, headiness comes out, but overall it remains bright and almost effervescent.

Dry: Zingy pineapple & apricot seltzer over lush, tropical florals. Just a hint of smoke and resin sit in the background, grounding it out. It smells like defututa before becoming defututa 😆

7.5 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

I'm having trouble picking out individual notes. All I'm getting is cheap, fruity-floral soap. Old-ladyish, not for me.

Golden flowers. Nothing that would be considered fruity, definitely golden, if a color can have a smell, this is the smell of gold with some flowers mixed in. Not my favorite scent on, but something I am keeping around for other uses.

It was the tobacco and apricot with amber and flowers that made me want to try this - I'm a bit iffy on the pineapple, and tangerine can be disastrous for me.

Wet: Fruity, for sure, but sort of an indistinct fruitiness. A bit floral. A bit soapy, actually. Really interesting though, quite different. Wish the tobacco was present.

Dry: Quite faint once dry, and just sort of vaguely fruity/floral. It is quite golden though! It gives that impression. Sort of the same vibe as Pandy on me, with white floral and apricot notes. Pandy is much stronger though and lasts longer on me.

Admittedly, I was really worried about this one as I don't do well with scents that are TOO fruity, especially tropical fruits like pineapple. I was hoping that the tobacco and amber would help ground this, and I wasn't disappointed. Wet, the pineapple is definitely there and takes the front seat, but never overwhelmingly so. The flowers are always sorta hanging in the background, keeping it from going too Bath & Body Works on me. On drydown, the tobacco and seltzer come out to play a bit (the seltzer moreso), which literally gives a "fizzing out" feeling to the pineapple and sort of diffusing it over the florals. I really, really love this scent and will have to be SUPER careful to use it slowly since it's discontinued!!

All in the Golden Afternoon started out really light on me, and more floral than fruity. I still can't tell you which flowers they were. I didn't peek at the notes when testing, and I pretty much failed to identify anything except amber and maybe general citrus. I kind of expected this blend to disappear right away, like Cheshire Cat and many another citrus do on me, but it lasted and lasted. Bright, cheerful, yes, fizzy, and I would have guessed there was a light musk in here as well. Very nice!

Wet: fruit (definitely reminds me of pineapple, tangerine and apricot) and amber 

On: maybe a hint of tobacco but mainly fruit and amber.

Dry down: here comes some Tobacco. Fruity Tobacco haha. Mainly just fruit though. There doesn't seem to be much nuance to it.

Low throw short wear.

In the imp: Pineapple and amber. 

On my skin:

First, it's pineapple and apricot, followed by something that goes slightly soapy on me. I'm hoping it's just the notes' initial confusion. 

Okay, so, it takes a while (the better part of an hour), but the soapiness does dissipate, and I'm left with pineapple and a touch of apricot over amber. There's something else adding a touch of depth to the scent -- likely not tobacco (as it tends to amp on me), maybe one of the flowers?

This is actually really nice -- fruity and almost perfumey but not quite. It's a little deeper than most of the fruit scents I try and not as resin-forward as my typical scent profile. I could see it being really nice, though, on days in between spring and summer -- where I want something with just a hint of summer in it.