Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Whoso List To Hunt

Sensual brown musk, rich amber, English rose, oak bark, and moss.

Whoso is earthy, musky and powdry. It starts off very rosey and woodsy, and after it dries, the amber comes in and softens the rose, bark and oak. I can detect a little moss, but it really isn't prevalent at all. I guess it just lends to the overall earthiness. As several hours have passed, this is all rose and amber and really reminds me of The Millers Daughter, yet Whoso is more prettier and softer. Edited by Schmoozy

To me, this smells dark and velvety. For once, the amber doesn't turn into powder but it gives off this soft, almost dusty-like, feel to the scent. It is comforting -- I think it's the rose that's making it rather pleasant to smell -- and quite somber. It makes me think of words like 'quiet', 'calm' and 'grounded'. It feels old-fashioned but not to the extent that it'd embarass me to wear out in public. Probably something to wear to work when I want people to take me seriously.

ETA: Okay, after half an hour or so, this has turned into powder for me, the sort that old ladies would wear.

Edited by Babette

There is no reason this should work on me and to be honest, I only wanted an imp because of the name itself and my obsession with anything Anne Boleyn. And yet, surprisingly, I LOVE this.

In the vial it's very rose. And it's like that on me for the first few minutes. But the drydown is amazing. I get a nice musky amber rose that's very soft and elegant and I love it. I hate rose and it normally gives me an intense headache. But this rose doesn't whack me in the head screaming "I'm rose here me roar!". It's definitely a soft, demure rose and I'm going to have to add a bottle of this onto my next order.

I cant believe this isnt getting more love! I guess the rose is scaring everyone off, and when I first put it on thats what I smell. Strong rose at first, but it quickly lays down into the complex smell that I really really wanted. Now it is this stunning bronze amber mossy-bark smell. I cant keep my nose from the back of my hand.

This was a scent that I very much wanted to love. I'm trying to branch out from my usual slightly-foody love, and my comfort with vanilla. I've had a couple ambers and musks work well on me, so I thought this would be a logical choice.

However... Whoso List To Hunt is very... perfumey to me. It's a thick, heady, sharp, old, warm perfume and - I hate to say it - something my grandmother would have worn. Maybe it's the amber, maybe it's the rose, I don't know. I wish I could give you more of a beautiful, poetic description and tell you that this note or that note stuck out, but it's just a sickly mess on me. :( I'll be scrubbing this one off.

Whoso List to Hunt doesn't get enough love!

This is a great scent for fall weather. It's warm and smooth/furry brown musk. The oak bark and moss keep it from going too powdery on my skin.

And this rose is more of an afterthought, just lending a lightness...

note: I've had my imp for 4 months, it seems to have aged nicely

Vial: Musk! Muskmuskmuskmusk...not an overpowering one, though.

On wet: A nice woody musk; not very strong, though.

Drydown: Aw, great, it's doing that pencil-shaving thing again. I smell like sexy, sexy hamsters.

This is not unlike a dryer Death Cap, but has too much wood for me to wear.

I majored in history, and the era of Henry the VIII is one of my favorite times in history. So I wanted this simply because of the Anne Boleyn connection. In the imp this is rose and musk. Once it hits my skin though it is amber and musk. Not bad just not what I think Beth was going for. As it continues to dry there is oak bark and moss. Once it is fully dry the rose finally decided to make an appearance. It dried down to a beautiful musky rose amber. There will definately be a bottle of this in my future.

A powdery yellow.

A soft and proper dress.

A quiet room with an austere blonde.

Discrete. Subtle.

Elements of butter, vanilla, sandalwood and straw.

Inspires quirk.

Test the sharpness of your canines with the tip of your tongue!

Wet: Brown musk single note. Don't ask why but it is all that I can smell. It's soft and feathery with a little hints of powder. Then out of nowhere the sweetness of the rose comes through. Not harsh...just like watching a red rose fall on a pillow. This is interesting...and is definitely worth keeping my decant. I just know if it's enough for a bottle.

Wet, this is a lovely woody, musky, ambery blend with a slight bit of a powdery vibe. As it dries, the rose comes out a bit, and it becomes sweeter and more powdery. This is a little bit too sweet for me, but I LOVED it at it's wet stage. Ah well.

The sadness! I was so excited for this scent, and it turns into a rose-jelly fruit roll-up on me. It's so weird, because my skin adores musks and ambers and chypres like nothing else, and this just *poof!* fails.

It mellows after a bit from all rose to some oaky-mossy-woody things, and is definitely a very soft, womanly scent, but when it goes bad it goes ALL KINDS of bad.

On my skin, Whoso List to Hunt is the scent equivalent of sitting alone in a broadleaf forest in November. It's brown, brown, brown, and it makes me think of the brown earth with brown leaves lying on the ground and brown tree trunks with naked branches. I think I mostly smell the oak bark and the moss, but if I really concentrate, I can catch a hazy impression of the amber and maybe a tiny, infinitesimal idea of rose. To be fair, maybe other people would smell the rose more strongly on me- I can sometimes smell it clearly, and sometimes rose is in an olfactory blind spot. It's a really striking scent impression, maybe a little drier than I was hoping for, and without the lovely brown musk note the Lab does which I had also hoped for, but I like it. I'd hoped for a forest-y scent, and I got it! I'm not sure I'd wear it enough to justify a bottle, but I think I will keep my imp handy for those days that I want to look toward autumn.

Between this and The Hesperides, I think I can now safely say that oak bark is my BPAL kryptonite.

I love the musk and amber here, and I don't mind the rose too much -- but whatever horrible moldy cheese thing it is that oak bark likes to do on my skin, it's doing it with gusto. So unfortunate...

Whoso List To Hunt - Overall, this is a very golden, warm, brown scent. The brown musk is the dominant note followed by the oak bar, which I adore. The amber and rose blend beautifully with the other notes. The rose and amber are both giving this scent a bit too much powderiness for my preference and the musk is almost sweet, in an animalic way. I can definitely see why people would like this, but it's just not quite right for my skin chemistry. On the right person -- male or female -- who doesn't amp the powderiness or musky-sweetness, I think this would smell really gorgeous.

the amber in this goes WAY powdery on me. at first the rose and oak are a bit sour, but that fades quickly, and i'm left with a musky-powdery-amber with a hint of rose and moss. i like this, as i can do powdery florals, though this is REALLY powdery. however, i have a lot of amber scents, so i'm not sure i need to keep this since it is similar to many other scents i have, that i like better.

It's kind of a sharp rose scent at first, which was a bit nose-crinkling, but then the other notes came up as it was drying. The moss came out, but sadly I don't think sharp rose and moss is my favorite combination. :( It's too harsh for my nose. I like the musk in this, and I also like the dryness of it, but the rose+moss combo isn't working for me. I'm picky about roses when the rose note is prominent -- they have to be that dewy watery soft kind of rose and not the kind that smell green and thorny.

Luckily the amber in this isn't going powdery on me, which is a relief, but even when this scent is fully dry it's still a little too rosy for me.

On the skin: Musky rose with hint of woods? Interesting! It is a very pretty scent! It does go a bit powdery, but I like this powdery rose much better than rampaging super fragrant rose.

This is the last of the frimps that came with my last order.

In the imp, sweet amber, rose, musk, and something sort of earthy and green, just a hint of a sharp note.

Wet, my body really amps rose, but this was more the dry, kind of crumbly rose of Zombi rather than the fresh tea rose of London or the lush rose garden of Two, Five, and Seven. The amber got even sweeter and richer. The musk started to amp, but thankfully, it didn't do the baby powder thing on me that black musk does. This must be a different kind of musk. It was kind of...furry. Now I recognize the earthy/green scent. Moss. It comes out strong and clear wet. Lovely!

Dry down, it became harder to pick out individual notes. This blend is surprisingly sweet and rich on me, with the musk, moss, and oak notes keeping it from ever being cloying and making the rose behave. It never went powdery on me at all.

After about three hours, this smelled exactly like Zombi smells on me after the same amount of time. No dirt note, but all roses and moss. I really like Zombi, so this didn't bother me, but it surprised me.

However, this has more lasting power than any other BPAL oil I've tried to date. It has been close to 24 hours since application. I put it on after a shower last night. I can still smell this fairly strongly! Now it's rose and musk. I did not slather at all. I never do at first test. I'm impressed with the balance and lasting power of this scent, truly impressed. I can see a bottle of this in my future.

The lasting power is the best part, it is very powdery on me, but not in a bad way, i think of it more like a grown up baby powder. It smells old fashioned and fresh, would be great for a quiet day. The throw is strong, the mind set is innocent to me.

Sniffed: Light, furry, brown musk.

On skin: Brown, fuzzy musk with a hint of greenery that feels more mossy and damp than leafy. No amber, and only the barest hint of rose (I'm not familiar with oak); everything is drowned out by the brown musk. I don't get anything much more than a furry, sour scent that reminds me of body odour. It does remind me of warm, living fur, but it's also dirty in an unwashed way.

Verdict: Not fond of this. I have a feeling brown musk and I won't get along... For swapping.

Call me crazy, but all I smell is Snake Oil. Whatever musk/amber combination was in Snake Oil is definitely present here.

I might actually like this better because it's not quite as sugary sweet. I've always found Snake Oil to smell somewhat cloying and powdery on me. This still has that weird powdery scent (the above mentioned musk/amber combo) but it isn't as cloying. To me this is kind of "eh," so it's getting passed on to someone who would love it.

When smelling this, I feel like I am walking through a forest in late afternoon, when the sun turns golden and slants through the trees. This is a very quiet & calm forest, carpeted in soft green moss. Wild roses grow where they may, and I've gathered a bunch and sniff their heady scent as I wander through the tall and stately trees. This scent is so pretty, and very earthy without being dirty. It's warm and rich and a little bit sweet. The amber is very rich and a touch powdery. While wet, the roses smell red or pink to my nose, that deep spicy scented pink that is so incredible and surprising when you smell it. (I have a cold so I'm probably not getting the finer points of this scent.) As this dries down further, I am noticing a little bit of a soapy note coming out. I am not sure what's responsible... it's not unpleasant, but it's not perfection. But I've wanted to try this since it was released and I'm glad I finally grabbed an imp.