Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sierona

March Hare

A twisted teatime tart: apricot and sweet clove.

Mmm. Pure apricot goodness, but it doesn't last at all on me. I guess this is a good one for wearing before I go to bed because I won't be disappointed at how fast it disappears.

My sister, the convert, ordered this imp because she loves the March Hare. Once again, oddly, we wore it the same way (with most scents we get very different results).

So...

In the imp: Grapefruit?

Wet: Ah, no grapefruit! Juicy apricot and a spicy-sweet clove. I imagine that if you stuck an appricot with cloves, that'd be this scent.

Dry 10 minutes: Apricot and vanilla and cloves. It's a really light scent and both Sister and I have a baaaaaaaaaad feeling about this.

Dry 40 minutes: Sure enough, the apricots are gone! The juicy-fruity smell has been eaten up by our skin chemistry and we are left with a light, but not dry, clove.

Dry 1 hour: Which is rapidly going to 'sweet' and 'soap'. Delicate scents do not last long on the Circe-twins.

Dry 3 hours: And it's nothing but a sweetish soap smell. A very NICE soap but I know where this is leading...

Dry 3 hours and 30 minutes: And, the March Hare is gone.

All in all: It's a light, sweet scent that isn't foody. Sister called this one 'slyly innocent'.

I'd had March Hare on my wishlist for aaaaages, but after having bad luck with pretty much all the other peach/apricot BPAL's I'd tried, I was definitely skeptical. On first application, it was really in-your-face apricot, and I was worried it would go 'fakey' on my skin, but within about 5 minutes, it blossomed out with this AMAZING sweet clove... with the apricot just rounding it out, juicy-tart in the background.

This is AWESOME. :P

Quick sniffy impressions:

Lushly moist apricot scones pricked with cloves. A hint of cake, held together with lushness that will melt on your tongue. This is pretty but it makes me too hungry.

In the vial: apricot-y!

On the skin: I'm very much a fan of clove, so that was pretty much why I went for this. Apricot wasn't really given much thought -- oddly I got Grand Guignol shortly before this and fell in love with it! -- then promptly forgot I was getting March Hare. Oy.

It's a really strange mix but it works. Seriously. It will change. One minute you think you're smelling cloves, the next it's apricot. Very much a keeper for me!

In the imp: I can definitely smell the apricot, but no clove.

On me: Cake. Some sort of fruity cake. Unfortunately, I don't like cake, so into the swap pile this goes.

The March Hare, for me, is a very straightforward scent: apricot and clove, just like the description says. Unfortunately, I don't really care for clove. Although it dried down into a nice apricot, with most of the clove scent disappearing, there are other fruity scents which have wet stages I like much better, so The March Hare really isn't a scent for me.

March Hare is predominantly apricot on me, but possibly apricot cake or apricot with a hint of kick. It is a fairly straight-forward scent in that it does't really change as it dries down, and it has moderate staying power. However, it's a really nice scent if you like apricots, and it had me craving fruity cakes all day, so I guess I am a fan! :P

In the vial and at first on my skin this smells like a ripe apricot with just a tiny bit of spice. It really does smell tasty and edible. Sadly, it suddenly turns sour and loud on my skin. I'm not sure why as both notes seem to work well on me in other blends. Then again, my skin chemistry just loves to mess with me.

preconceived notions: I hoped and suspected this would be juicy and fruity apricot.

in the vial: Pure apricot.

wet: Oh! Nice. The apricot is the dominant note, but I get more and more of the warmth of clove.

dry: The clove gets stronger and sticks around, turning it from a fresh, juicy fruit scent into a warmer, bakery smell.

season: This would be perfect for fall.

office-friendly? Yep.

overall: Really good. More foody and spicy than I was hoping, but I really like it.

Test site:

Left wrist.

From the catalog:

A twisted teatime tart: apricot and sweet clove.

Wet:

Apricot syrup.

Early Dry Down:

This smells like peach potpourri.

Late Dry Down:

After an hour, this still smells like potpourri. I smell like a craft store. Yech.

My prediction: nothin' but clove, baby.

Well, March Hare definitely delivers what it claims. In the imp, it's sweet apricots drizzled with honey and the spiciness of clove. On my skin, it's the same, with the clove amped up, but not unbearably so. Maybe my skin reacts differently to sweet clove than plain old clove?

It dries down to a warm apricot scent with a little bite of clove.

Sadly, the apricots remind me of baby food, so this one is not for me, even though it works a lot better than I thought it would.

DH said..."Mmmm, kind of like a craft store". I hate that. I think that it is the nicest apricot blend around. A little too much, though. I have this love/hate thing with apricot and peach. The clove element is very subdued. I was expecting something much more spicy. Not my favorite Wonderland scent so far...I think it is right in the middle...

Super sticky sweet like dried apricots with a heady kick of spices. Wet, the apricots tarten a little but the spices are hardly identifiable as cloves. Dry, this is sugar sweet and a bit overwhelming - throw like none other going on here. Warm, the cloves begin to finally show up, though the apricot is still sickly sweet; luckily the throw is calming a bit as well and I may be able to survive this one for a little longer. Whew, on dry down, this FINALLY loses it's candy-cloy and gets a little spicy; foody from start to finish with a strong resemblance to fruit juice gone syrup in the sunshine, this is bright and playful if you like small children. Entirely too foody for me.

This has to be my absolute favorite scent for a playful day.

Not too many of my friends at Uni liked it as much as other scents I got, but I still love it. I did manage to get plenty of compliments on it while helping out in a first grade class room where I got told I smell like jelly and candy.

I think it plays nicely with the fruity citrus versus the gothic/holiday associations I have with cloves and it's now my favorite perfume for long car rides by myself because what's more fun than smelling yourself on the highway?

March Hare

I want to love this. I mean, apricot and sweet clove? Yum!!

In the bottle: sweet apricot, BPAL style.

On me: I am reminded of candy, maybe "Smarties?". I like foody scents, but not so sure about candy ones. I am not getting a clove scent at all. Darn!

In the bottle: Sugared apricot and vanilla

First on: This is very sticky and sweet. Apricot in a heavy syrup with vanilla and honey with the faintest whisper of clove

After a bit: The clove is coming out a bit more and the apricot is taking on a scent of more being dried apricots and not fresh juicy ones.

A bit more: The over all scent has a bit of waxiness to it now, the clove coming out on top with the dried honeyed apricot coming in underneath.

It seems with the apricot scents I have to try them on a day all their own.

Initially this is all strong, sweet apricot with a touch of clove. But after a few minutes, as it warms to my skin, it turns into a very potpouri-esque, room fragrance blend complete with the merest hint of artificial fruit about it.

Curse my skin chemistry!

At first the apricot smells a bit like an artificial peach scent used in air fresheners. I used to have a "peach potporri" powdered carpet freshener that smelled very similar. The clove isn't very strong, but it gives the scent an earthy foundation and balances out the sweet fruitiness. And after 20 minutes or so the apricot doesn't smell nearly as aritifical, and the apricot/clove combination is more balanced. It's a pretty scent, but it still reminds me too much of that carpet freshener for me to wear it.

Oh my ears and whiskers, sweet fruit!

Well, the clove grounds the apricot, and it is not unpleasant at all. As the March Hare dries, he brings out his tea: it is not listed, but I swear that is tea I smell. Oddly enough, the clove does make me think of rabbits - even though I know from great experience that rabbits smell nothing like that! This is the first Mad Tea Party scent I have ever smelled, and I do think Beth has it right on.

I am very fond of the March Hare in an abstract manner, and probably I will retain him. However, Al-Shairan does almost the same thing, in a stronger and nicer way, and I think Al-Shairan is my sweet-clove man. March Hare, you may not see much exercise. We'll see what to do about you, dear.

In the imp: mm, spicy apricot - smells like a pastry of some sort.

On me, wet: whoa, sherbet - very fruity, but sort of a fizzy powdery fruit. no hint of cloves, and it's not even really an apricot sort of fruit smell.

On me, dry: ah, now, this is better. Sweet juicy apricots, with hot, fiery clove dusted all over the top.

Verdict: I'm not sure how often I'll wear it, but I will definitely keep the imp around for now.

March Hare is a pretty simple blend. It is fun to sniff and nice to wear, but an imp is enough because I don't think I'd want to smell like an apricot every day. The Hare is a spicy apricot, as opposed to a woody apricot like Yerevan.

In the imp - Apricot!

Wet - Warm apricot. Smells thick, almost like a jam? I got this as a frimp in a swap right before I was frimped with Carnal in the mail and I compared the two - this is sweeter and heavier.

Dry - Sweet apricot. This never gets spicy. It's pretty but not "me". I wanted to try it as a room scent, so I bought an oil burner and christened it with this! It's **gorgeous** as a room scent. It does smell like a pie or tarts are in the oven.

Normally I don't care for clove, but I love this! Mm the apricot is so warm, rich, and delicious. It lasted me all day, too!

Apricot and clove sure doesn't sound like they'd meld well so this scent is a big surprise. The apricot is tart and tangy and not very sweet and the clove makes a lovely spice scent along the same brightness as the tang of the apricot. I wouldn't wear this in a large bottle but I'll wear the imp!