Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sierona

March Hare

March Hare

A twisted teatime tart: apricot and sweet clove.

in vial: waxy, buttery apricot

wet: the waxy smell begins to dissipate as it dries

dry: butter and apricots...no clove!!

verdict: good staying power...lasts almost 8 hours on me, but the absent clove was disappointing for me

I'll try this again before I make a final decision.

Whoa! Emphasis in the tart part of "twisted teatime tart." I'm getting a definite baked goods smell. Yes, it's apricot and clove. The apricot is particualrly sweet and juicy, but the clove is definitely muted. The clove doesn't really temper the sweetness of the apricot or the bakery smell, it just sort of hangs around in its slightly-spicy way in the background. It's a lurking clove, if you will.

This is a strong scent- I'm getting wafts of dried apricots and butter as I'm wearing it. This scent had the rather odd reaction on me of smelling different on my left and right wrist during much of the wearing phase- on the left it was all baked goods, on the right it was more clove and spice. I preferred the right.

Final analysis- I love the apricot and clove combo, but at the end of the day, I don't like things that smell like food, and this oil had a definite butter/bakery element to it. Too bad- I'll be passing it on to someone else who'll appreciate it more.

at first: this was included as a freebie in my order. this is gorgeous. then again, how can you go wrong with clove and apricot?

on: fabulous. juicy and fruity. this is wonderful.

1 hour later: wonderful. a bit sweeter, but still mostly juicy fruits.

7 hours later: darker now, almost a hint of smokiness. i guess that's the clove coming out. a lot lighter, but still nice.

overall: love it! i may have to get a 5ml of this at some point. it's just delicious. i really like juicy scents wiht something darker underneath.

I've been working my way through BPAL's clove scents ever since I fell in love with Voodoo. It took me a while to order March Hare because most fruits don't work well on me and I was afraid of the apricot. Turns out apricot isn't much of a problem in this blend, it's the clove! Go figure. I get a strong hit of apricot at first, then the clove takes over and I end up smelling like an Easter ham. You know, the kind with a fruit sauce and a couple hundred clove buds stuck in it? I never got much of the buttery crust others have mentioned, I would have loved that :P .

I know i've called about 50 BPAL scents "strange" but this one really takes the cake. I only get clove at the final drydown. Before that..it starts out smelling like apricot and..anise?! Where in the world am I getting that impression?! I also at one time got a faint whiff of..beer. Gross. If that had been a lasting impression, it would have killed the blend. The apricot is definitely juicy throughout, even when the clove emerges. I don't get any sort of "baked goods" vibe from this.

I wish this were clove-ier on me, but nonetheless, I like it. When the clove does come out, it's a surprisingly amazing match with the apricot. I would have never guessed the two would smell decent together, let alone THIS good!

Not top 10 material but still enjoyable. I'd like to make a body lotion out of this one. I may order a bottle just to do that.

Boo, hiss! :P

I thought I was going to LOVE this. Mind you, I still do like it very much, but I'm dissapointed, because my first few sniffs of it promised LOVE. In the bottle -- yum, apricots! Wet on the skin -- OMFG, apricots and clove! Spicy, heavenly, rich clove. I am IN LOVE. But then . . . no! As it dried, I started smelling a disturbingly familiar, plastic Strawberry Shortcake doll heads scent. No! Is it fig? It smells just like a fig note. If I really focus, I can still convince myself that I'm smelling the apricot and clove, but when I just catch the odd whiff, I smell fig. This smells just like Carnal! Or even like the fig single note. Why, March Hare, why? You were so warm and spicy and sweetly delicious at first!

I keep re-applying to experience that initial rush of sugar and spice, but sure enough, on the dry down it's figgy Strawberry Shortcake doll heads. Or perhaps like a waxy potpourri candle. Either way -- I wish like all hell that the clove note in this were stronger, because it smells phenomenal in the bottle. I foresee usage as a room scent.

:D

Huh - I thought I reviewed this a year ago. Guess not.

I love how this smells one me (apricot and clove, exactly) but it tends to go a bit Yankee Candle on me after a while (the apricot changes to general-fruit-sugars and the clove changes a bit to Generic Spice). I still like it, but me smelling like a candle in a grandmother's house tends to creep Mr. L out, so it's not in rotation.

On my mom this smells just like Play-Doh.

I think this is one that will smell better when it isn't touching me. I'd like to try it again, but in an oil burner.

Its LOVE! at first sniff!! :P

I normally don't like cloves very much but this is so nice. Almost boozy in a way and yet also a foody-bakery scent too. There is a touch of plactic here too like play-doh perhaps as has been mentioned before but thats fine by me on this one. Sweet, spicey, dreamy, creamy apricots! Yeeey! :D

March Hare

In the bottle: Dried apricots. Mmmm. Not the stinky sweatsocks smell you sometimes get with real dried apricots. :D

On me/wet: March Hare immediately turned to Superclove on me! CLOVE!! Underneath it, though, is a cross between bubblegum and black licorice (yup, it was mentioned before and I smell it too). But atop all that, CLOVE!

Drydown: Finally the clove starts to settle a bit, allowing the fruit to come forward. I smell a little apricot, but mainly I get Juicy Fruit gum. :P

After about four hours, the clove has disappeared and a fully ripened apricot sits on my arm. I do like that, but wish that the clove and apricot appeared together. I think I'll keep the imp, but probably not go for anything more.

March Hare

This was a freebie from the lab

I'm reviewing somewhat in haste, as I've already made an agreement to swap it.

Preconceived notions: None, though it wasn’t on my wishlist, so I’m assuming it’s probably rather light.

Testing it:

I tested this one with Cheshire Cat while I was watching Alice in Wonderland. It is one reason I had to test Cheshire Cat over again - March Hare is a very strong and insidious scent. I cannot describe it, only that it overpowers everything in its vicinity. It’s a very sweet fruit - based on the descriptions and my experience with Yerevan, I’m guessing it’s apricot. It doesn’t change on me at all - it’s the same scent on me as in the vial. And I don’t like the way the apricot smells like in this at all. As I said, it’s somehow overpowering in a very insidious way, and takes over everything. Like “The Song that never ends”.

i have apricot single note, and was excited to try march hare, since i foolishly did NOT get clove single note. in the bottle i couldn't smell the clove at all, but i wasn't concerned- i know how bpal can change!

however, this was not one of those times, alas. i never got the clove, just plain apricot :P and the apricot is good, but as i've already got the single note, it wasn't really what i was after.

In the imp: Very sweet, slightly tart apricot with a hint of clove

Wet: The apricot darkens and there's the clove at the back.

Dry-down: The two scents blend perfectly and I get a soft, spicy sweetness that has just enough tartness to keep it from being too sweet. I did get that candle smell that others have mentioned the first time around, but now it doesn't feel as waxy.

Ten minutes later: Ooh, the clove really comes out to play now! This is a great scent and very complex, the apricot and clove compliment each other well. It's definitely a feel-good scent, warm and snuggly, great for those cold spring days.

I really love this!

ETA: Oooh, three hours and a nap later this has turned into a lovely, buttery smell that definitely reminds me of a pastry. Gorgeous.

Edited by Dinah

I was disappointed that March Hare doesn't work as a perfume for me, but I may still try it as a home fragrance or try it in some lotion after reading those suggestions here. I can't decide whether I just don't like apricot, or whether there might be something specific going on in March Hare that turns me off. I can't smell clove, which is a favorite note... I don't detect a buttery note, which is something that generally doesn't work for me, a la Jack and Harvest Moon. Whatever the cause, it's one of the few BPAL blends I have tried that sadly has sent me to the sink within minutes to get my scrubbin' on. :P But it sounds like when it works for someone, it's absolutely beautiful.

oh, so nice! in the vial i smelled (before i read the reviews) straight papaya/mango. when i applied it, it was tropical fruit with a kick, which i couldn't place. then the spice really came out. and THEN i read the reviews. what i thought was tropical turned out to be a good ol' apricot, and the spice is clove which i love and i am so surprised i didn't guess that right off. it is now wafting upwards and i was enjoying it tremendously until i read a review that said it reminds them of an apple spice yankee candle... and that makes me feel pretty....um, potpourri-ish. won't get a big one, but will not be giving up my imp, either.

Edited by warmfuzzies

Oh wow. This one is interesting. When it was first wet on my wrist it was very loud and fruity, a bit like Yerevan at first, except apricot not plum. Within seconds it calmed down, and was literally sucked right into my skin, nearly no drying time. I couldn’t smell it at all, but now, about 10 minutes after application I can smell spicy clove, and it smells very nice. It’s quite faint though, but that could be because I just got out of the shower, I have dry skin, and I didn’t have any lotion on my wrist. This seriously smells like nice spicy Christmas candles in an arts and crafts shop. The spicy smell of walking through the isles of fake flowers for arrangement. Interesting…

First sniff from the bottle- Spicy tart fruit!

After 10 minutes- This smells like a spiced apricot or peach cobbler. If I added a bit of Gingerbread Poppet or Three Witches into this it would smell just like a pumpkin pie! :D

After 30 minutes- This is very similar to Jack, just without the butter. In fact, this is exactly what I thought Jack would smell like. I love it!! :P

Summery- I am gushing with excitement that I found another BPAL I love! Yea!!

March Hare is quite a nice simple, but wonderful spicy apricot scent. It was spicy apricot in the imp, and it's spicy apricot on me from beginning to end. Thank goodness I have a bottle coming to me. I really can't do without this one. Springtime, here comes the March Hare! :P

March Hare

In the Vial: Sweet Apricot! Wow, this smells good....

Wet: Sweet Juicy apricot... oh it's so fruity and pretty.

Dry: Apricot and clove, it's sweet, with a lot of depth... it's very juicy. It's deeper / darker now that it's dry.

Conclusion: While It's juicy, sweet, and mouth watering, I just don't see myself wearing it that much... So I'll trade it to someone who will :P

This is my favorite.

It's like standing at a table in the middle of a field of white flowers, speading apricot jam on a scone.

God, I love it.

This one is wonderful and simple: apricot and cloves. It reminds me of Christmas, of those oranges with cloves stuck in them. The apricot is not too sticky sweet for me, tempered by the cloves.

I love it.

I loved this at first. In the bottle and wet on my skin it was luscious apricot with just the slightest touch of clove. As it dried down, the clove started coming out more, which was still wonderful. But now, an hour after first application, it's turned waxy and I smell like a candle.

Sigh. I'll probably use up the imp as a room scent, but oh, I wish I could really wear it.

In bottle: Smells almost dead-on to the apricot single note. I'm not picking up anything else at all. On the one hand, I'll be disappointed if that's all there is, but if it stays the same way on the skin at least I'll know what to get when my single note of apricot runs out.

On me: Oh, there's the spicy clove wafting up. Mmmmm. Smells delicious, like a pie. Apricot or peach pie. Yum yum yum...yum? Wait! No! Clove is taking over! The apricot is leaving! Noooooooooooooooooo!

Not that I don't love clove, but I love me some apricot.

But it's still a nice smell. I'll give this one a shot.

In the bottle: This is kinda nasty. It smells like spiced, slightly sour dried apricots. I'm starting to learn that while I like the taste of apricots, the smell of them isn't always enjoyable to me. My biggest hope is that this will soften a little once it's on.

Wet: Now it smells like cloves with sour apricot in the background. I'm just...this makes me a little sick to my stomach for some reason. I'm not the biggest fan of cloves, and they're a lot stronger in this blend than I had imagined. The apricot note is also making my stomach roll a little.

Dry down: This stays pretty true to form. Clove note on top, stomach rolling apricot note on the bottom. I have unfortunately spilled this all over my desk and even after wiping it up the throw of slightly sweetish clove is wafting around me everywhere. This will not be a happy work day.

Dry: Mostly clove in the front. It kinda smells like those Christmas bouquets and things of that nature. Then the slightly sickly sweet apricot is in the background. I can't take it, though. I don't like clove and the apricot is not my friend.

From the vial: spiced apricots!

Applied: it smells exactly like Polish traditional "compote" drink, which is made of apples heavily spiced with clove - sweet, juicy, spicy and yummy.

After a while: now the scent is mostly clove-y, but a juicy note in the background is still strong. Very long-lasting!

Summary: March Hare immediately goes to the top 5 of my favourite BPAL blends. It's perfect for any season and for any time of the day. It smells so delicious that I can't stop sniffing my wrists! Highly recommended.