Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sierona

March Hare

A twisted teatime tart: apricot and sweet clove.

Upon opening the imp the impression was strong--apricot jam! The same as I applied it to my wrist. I was thinking "Is this going to be like being hit in the face with an apricot pie?"

Turns out--no.

As it dried down, the clove swooped in and changed the personality of the scent entirely.

The clove is not cloying or mediciny. It actually sparkles. I had to recheck the description because the clove seemed to lighten up the scent and add a friendly uplifting attitude. It came out almost like ginger.

Then my husband (who is tired of smelling my wrist, unless it's got snake oil on it) actually leaned into me and said it smelled really good. "That one I like."

It's been an hour now and it has now mellowed into a happy sweet scent.

Really liking it.

Edited to add a thank you to JJ_J who threw this in as a freebie in a swap. Thanks Babe!

*Le Sigh*

I SO wanted to love this scent - considering I was born in March, and, the Mad Tea Party scents are my favorite scents - but alas, March Hare and I did not get along.

Both on, and off me... the scent was very buttery. Just TOO buttery. Almost 'gaginating' in fact. I could hardly smell the apricot or any other hints - and it kind of ticks me off that my sense of smell and body chemistry murdered this scent in such a way. I thought maybe I got a bad batch... but I have no idea.

I'm glad March Hare works out so well for others though. Sadly, this will be a swapper for me. I can't even open the bottle without wincing :P

-Leslie

Just tried my sample of March Hare and found another favorite BPAL. It starts out with spiced apricot, smelling like apricot pie. As it dries it smells less like a pie and does have a bit of a candle resemblence, but it's so yummy I don't mind. I smell apricot, a spice blend that seems like cinnamon and mild clove, and something vanillic in the base. Very yummy and lasts for many hours on me.

In the Bottle: Spicy Fruit... It's like apricots, skin and all -- that first bite when you get the juice all over you.

Wet: It smells like a scratch-n-sniff sticker. Or even a candle. Like one of those christmas candles that you think has just a little bit too much cinnamon to it. On my skin, the clove starts to hit my nose odd, and makes my upper lip tingle. But the spice really seems to bring out more of the juiciness of the apricot.

Dry-Down: I just swiped this on my wrists -- not on my neck. And I can REALLY smell it. It's almost coconuty spice. When I just smell it that way, I can smell more of the fruit, with a spicy kick. When I stick my wrist to my nose, I smell more spices, more like sticking your nose in a jar of pumpkin spices (clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc). I really like the way this wafts, that it's more sweet until you get closer, and then you get sucker-punched with the spiciness. Sort of like me. :D

Thanks to my dear friend who told me to give this a good try before making a final decision :P Bootsie was right, this is really nice :D I'll have to see if it passes The Old Man seal of approval test before I decide whether or not I want to order a bottle of this.

ETA: About 2 hours after this post, the spiciness is almost gone and all that's left is a nice, buttery, vanilla-y fruit smell. I love it :D

Edited by enozgirl

I had been avoiding any scents with clove in it like the plague...now I'm wondering why. I hate the taste and smell of clove, but aparently mixed with apricot, clove isn't half bad.

This one reminds me so much of a specific scratch and sniff sticker from my childhood. I can't remember which one, but I get this very distinct scratch and sniff vibe from it. I don't know if I'll wear this much, but it certainly is a fun one.

I wanted to like March Hare- we had liked most of the other Tea Party scents, but here- both me and my husband tried it and got the same result: Apricot Candy. That had been sitting out in the 100 degree sun. Sugar being noticable from across the room. No clove note whatsoever to smell.

Too sweet for us both, especially me- my chemistry will amplify sweet tones, and when everything is sweet, then I go all Candy Land.

I swapped this one with a local, who seems to like it better and clove subdues the apricot on her.

Edited by Hallows_Eve

March Hare is my first true BPAL love. When I wear it on my skin, it almost bursts with fruitiness. The spiciness subtly wafts in and out serving as the perfect accent. It smells very strong and really lasts on me.

I loved this scent so much that I mixed some with a bit of unscented light body lotion. To my suprise, when I wore it in lotion form, I got a very different type of scent. The clove is dominant and the fruitiness is very faint, but definitely present. It makes me feel like a warm baked good (in a good way. :P ) I love that I can wear this scent in two totally different, wondeful ways.

I was hoping that this scent would be strongly apricot on me, since that smell brings back happy memories. My chemistry seems to bring out different notes. Even so, it is a very cheerful scent. I actually started laughing the first time I put it on because the scent suprised me.

Wet it is strongly reminiscent of cherry incense. It dries down and abruptly changes to a light clove scent which was exactly like an Easter candle I once made with crushed cloves inside it.

Exactly as it says - apricot and clove. The first few minutes smell exactly like sticking your nose into a bag of dried apricots. It then mellows out a little and the clove starts to come through. This is a pretty strong scent, light application is required!

Interestingly, despite having completely different notes, this conjures up the same feeling on my skin as Carnal does - a kind of translucent, juicy sweetness. I like this one a little more, because of the hint of spice.

(edited to fix my HTML/board code snafu...)

Edited by AnnetteL

I love apricots.

I like rabbits, too.

March Hare is so nice. I have the single note of apricot & it's a bit too something for me--candle-y maybe? But March Hare isn't like that, I guess because of the clove.

I've been looking for a sleepy time scent & I think I've found it! It relaxes me beyond belief. Yea! March Hare!

I :P this oil!! It doesn't smell overly fruity and the clove works well with my chemistry. It has amazing staying power which is a plus for me. I will definitely be ordering a big bottle of this. Love it, Love it, Love it!!

I got this in a swap (thank you, Mrs. Black!) and it was one of the three scents I daydreamed most about getting (along with Three Witches and Black Widow). I opened it first when I got it, avoiding even the imps. I was so excited! I love apricot and I couldn't wait to see what Beth had conjured up.

The apricot smell in the bottle is deep and rich and tart. There's no syrupy sweetness here, it smells precisely like a 'real' dried apricot. There's even a hint in the scent of the 'fuzziness' of an apricot, that almost-dusty brush on your tongue before you bite into it. I took a couple deep breeaths. I loved it, and I was so afraid that it would turn weird on my skin as so many things do.

One drop, just one, was enough..this stuff is *strong.* I put a bit on my forehead--it's easy to smell there, and unlike my hands, doesn't have to contact the wheels of my wheelchair. The rich sweet apricot smell just snaked out, seductively, wrapping me up in memories of dried apricots in the bins in the health food store, their flesh glowing in the sun like carnelians.

After a little bit the clove did come out shyly to play..just a little bit. Not enough to overwhelm. The apricot stayed true on my skin, just got fainter as time went on. I smelled so freaking good, warm and fruity and rich and wonderful.

After about three hours, the scent faded almost entirely, though my husband did stop to ask me 'what smelled so good' on his way in from work.

Wow, this baby's strong. The swap envelope and my whole room smelled like it when I opened it – a spicy buttery sweet apricot that does remind me of a teatime pastry. It's making me hungry.

On me, the clove comes out more, which is nice and cuts the sweetness a bit. However, it's still too heavy and sweet for me to wear. I'll use the rest up in my burner.

Yum. The March Hare is delicious but not too foody- there's some strong apricot and clove action going on, but like they were dissolved in a hot cup of black tea. The musk is nearly non-existent on me, unlike Katharina, the other musky apricot scent, so this is a nice contrast. It's riotously sweet and spicy right out of the imp, then settles down to tea while still darting mischievious clove-y glances. It reminds me of that part in "The Wicker Man" where the citizens of Summerisle are shown wearing various totemic animal masks. You know. Crunchy brown leaves in a forest. Crazy, fun, ancient, and pagan.

Got this from the lovely Mandarin...this bottle's really making the rounds, eh? :D God only knows what convinced me that I had to have this scent. I hate foody scents with the exception of clove, but I did. I had to have it and I don't think I've ever been happier with an impulse buy in my life. :D

First Sniff:

A tart...the description is right! I smell apricot a little bit of clove and something that smells like buttery crust. It's not the sort of thing I normally gravitate towards, but this is lovely and very comforting.

Wet on Skin:

The same as straight out of the bottle, which is good. I'd rather not be surprised by this one because I love the way it smells in the bottle. This is very nice, thick and comforting and somehow both innocent and sophisticated at the same time. I feel like a little girl dressing up in mommy's clothes in this scent and it's not an unwelcome association.

Dry Down:

Again, the same as in the bottle. It actually reminds me more of the raspberry bars that I love so much that have the raspberry jam filling and the butter streusel crust than it does apricots, now that I think about it, but it's lovely and very comforting to me. Food scents usually have a lot of memories attached to them for me and this is no exception. I love it!

The Bottom Line:

Beautiful, sweet without being cloying, sophisticated and innocent at the same time. A definite winner. It looks like this bottle's finally found a permanent home. :P

~ Penance

March Hare is one of the most magnificent scents I have ever tried. It is such a sweet apricot, a pure apricot smell, but the clove adds a touch of spice and depth. Someone else said that the scent actually sparkles, and I think that is the perfect way to describe the effect of smelling this. I could wear this everyday - and I would except I have so many other BPAL scents to choose from!

March Hare, on my skin, was overwhelmingly apricots. My skin wouldn’t give the clove a chance to come through so it was very one-dimensional on me. Nice, but not one that I could see myself wearing.

March Hare is, as advertised, an apricot tart.

I'm getting equal measures of apricot and clove, and I'm being reminded (power of suggestion, perhaps) of dry alfalfa, clover pollen, and general rabbit-ness.

Oddly, I'm eating some dark chocolate with burnt almonds, and sniffing my wrist after a bite of that really makes the rabbit come hopping forward.

This particular apricot is more sour to my nose, so March Hare won't be displacing Depraved as my favourite apricot perfume -- but it is fun to visit.

I got this as a freebie in my last order, took one sniff, and placed it in my swap pile. This smelled way too much like those christmas-time "hearth" type candles.....the ones that are so strong and loaded with cinnamon and apples and dried fruits....which is just not me. :-T I think I'd probably prefer this as a room fragrance to one I'd wear on my body.

Very mild and sweet, very pleasant. It was still faintly present after a full day at the RenFaire, which is damn good! I'm not sure I was able to identify any particular note, but I like the effect, and R. doesn't find it objectionable.

Having worn it a second time, I like it even better! It's a light, fruity scent which can be applied fairly heavily without becoming overpowering, and which lasts for a good long time. I still don't pick up the clove very much -- to me, it's more like apricot-and-vanilla. Not that this is a bad thing...

This one's a definite keeper.

March Hare

When first applied I get a sweet impression and then the cloves. The sweetness must have been the apricot, but the clove appeared so quickly I didn’t have time to identify it. This is really nice; the cloves are offsetting the sweetness of the apricots to good effect.

This stays very consistent on me, slightly spicy; slightly sweet it really does smell gorgeous.

This one smells lovely - very very fruity! It's a bit too strong for me though and a bit too child-like. I can imagine a little girl liking this a lot. It also turns quite plasticy on me after a while.

I already own a bottle of Akuma which I prefer cos it's a bit more tart. This is very similar but a bit overly sweet for me.

Wet - I really smell the cloves, plus a sweetness.

Dry - As it dries, the cloves get smoother and the apricot sweetness shines through a little more. Still very spicy.

Love, love, LOVE! It's Christmas! It's Yule! It's the spiced cider and the cookies and the tree, and everything. It's the warmth inside when it is blustery and snowy outside.

I put very little on and it lasts quite a while. I can imagine wearing this all winter long and it making me very happy. Springsea might have to wrestle me to get the imp back.

:P

Hmm, in the vial, March Hare is all apricot and peach. On me, it's kind of waxy apricot like a candle, spiced with clove and, I swear, cinnamon and some other kind of spice -- nutmeg, maybe? It makes me very happy, oh my goodness -- very, very happy. And even as it's sticky sweet, it's just utterly delightful in its slight spiciness and the spiciness detracts from the big, wet, sticky fruit scent. It's soooo nice and pleasant.

This rabbit has one sharp bite!!! I think it's a bit rabid actually. This scent is very striking and tartish. It's the sort of scent that will wake one wide awake. It's a very energizing blend- full of fruitygoodness!!!!!!!!!! yummy