Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
edenssixthday

Sekhmet v5

Sekhmet v5 - This version of Sekhmet is completely different from the original unreleased version of Sekhmet. It's nothing like it at all. This version is the arid scent of dry sand and hot air. It doesn't have much character. I was hoping for something more along the lines of the "original" Sekhmet, but it's not even close. It's a very subtle scent that fades quickly on my skin.

ETA: I forgot to add a note that after drydown, if I put my nose very, very close to my skin, I can smell something very subtle and resinous, perhaps a bit of light myrrh.

Edited by edenssixthday

In the bottle, this is slightly spicy, and warm, not spice warm but like the desert. Dry, odd as that sounds. On, pretty much the same. I get something like myrrh, I think, though I'm not good at notes. The only proto I own and I really like it.

Wow! This is amazing. It's warm and spicy with a bit of herbs and resins. This is how I imagined Sunbird to smell when I read the description. Somehow it's totally wearable during the summer because there is something in this blend that keeps it from being heavy or foody smelling. It's a dry scent and sexy in an understated, mysterious way.

If you like spice, but don't want to smell foody or like a holiday candle, or you like resin but don't want to smell like incense, this is the blend for you.

:thud:

This scent starts out with some blaaaaack musk, I don't really get the minerals of The Ifrit, which is the only other desert scent I've tried, but I do get a sense of warm and dry air. Then I have a Mugatu moment of feeling like I'm taking crazy pills, because the musk backs off and this becomes an overwhelmingly orange scent, which I didn't expect from the previous reviews. It isn't a juicy and pithy orange, more like a sweet and powdery orange. There's a bit of something that reminds me of Hamadryad 2004, cinnamon and bit of coolness from wintergreen, maybe some dragon's blood. But this is mostly ORANGE. By drydown, the musk has gone from roaring lioness to pussy cat. Still warm and dry, all the way through.

In the bottle, it's simultaneously red and soapy, and I don't have high hopes. On, it reminds me of one of the Tarots - maybe Strength? - that spicy floral. It's heady and old fashioned, the kind that brings to mind gilt bathrooms and huge poofs of powder. It's floral and spicy and hot in the same way dragon's blood often is on me. And sweet! Fiercely sweet, though. I don't really get hot and dry from it the same way other people do; it's that red-hot floral with spices thrown in and sparking as they hit the flame.

Sadly, this isn't for me - I don't generally like things that smell red - but I'm surprised it's not more popular. It does go a touch powdery as it settles on my skin, though. This is a scent that doesn't say sorry unless it really means it, and doesn't back down from a fight. You want her on your side in an argument, even though she can be a little overbearing. ;)

I was so lucky to have gotten a partial bottle of this from a dear BPal :wub2: I'm terrible at picking out notes but it is spicy,heady,incensy,warm and soothing. I just LOVE it!!!

SEKHMET v5:

In Bottle: Metallic and incense

On skin: This has a very nice and light incense tone. It isn't smokey or overwhelming, and in the background I get a slightly metallic note that I'm thinking may be herbal? This scent is very clean which is a nice change from the sticky, resinous smokey types of incense scents I'm used to. I would call this scent "Incense Lite". It does NOT resemble the original Sekhmet at all. I don't get the spices the original had. This one has a warm tint, but it's much more subtle and when the herbs peek out, it actually seems kind of cool too. So a scent that can be both warm and cool... very interesting. As the scent develops the cool notes become stronger and it takes on a soapy quality. I really like this scent but I do think it's a bit light for my tastes. The throw is very low and the wearlength is short.

Wet, this is quite mentholated with red hots cinnamon. It dries to a "hot" scent, it kind of reminds me a lot of Sunbird at this stage with dust and the spices. After a bit, I detect evil jasmine, poking it's nose in there. The florals and hot dryness don't seem to mesh well here, even though the jasmine is faint. I don't mind this scent, and very glad to have tried it, but I don't need a bottle.

I like this. It's dry and dirty and it has a lovely resinous aroma. It's also got just a hint of evergreen.

I can see the comparison to Sunbird, but Sunbird is warm desert. This is cold nighttime desert.

I don't get any floral notes at all.

Sekhmet v5

In the Bottle: Golden. Reminiscent of Leo 2007 and Sunbird, actually. Resinous. Ambers?

Wet: Still golden and resinous, but now it's somehow sharpening and turning almost sour on me. :(

Drydown: Little dusty, and still sourish and sharp. Darn. Yes, much too 'dusty,' the kind I get from some resins/ ambers.

Verdict: I wanted desperately to love this, as I think the whole Egyptian theme is pretty nifty, plus, I feel so lucky I got to go to Cobwebs and buy this in person! But I just don't think I love it enough to keep around. And I prefer Sunbird over this blend.

Fizzy and citrusy - orange? A little sweet. Light and fun, girly but almost unisex or cologney. It's juicy and fruity, more zesty and tart than sweet, though.

Deeper, a tad sweeter. Still lots of orange, but a little less fizzy, and a bit of a spicy bite of ginger - reminds me of Moxie quite a bit, though this orange note is slightly different. I think it's actually mandarin. And the ginger is like fresh ginger juice, zesty. I do get some warmth too, so I suspect a well-behaved amber.

I think this is the same amber from L'Estate, but less of it - it's very subtle and smooth, warm and glowing and not at all powdery. The ginger and mandarin are both holding - this does not morph on my skin, or at least it hasn't yet, which is amazing. Maybe a little musk is coming out? That could be my skin chemistry though, which lately has been making everything super musky.

Ew, perfumey hairspray musk. Based on some of the other reviews I thought this one might be good, but no. I don't get any spices or incense in here, just hairspray musk and floral perfumeyness. Some kind of big, cloying florals in here, definitely. Headache-inducing.

I thought that I would love this, but something here is going all wrong on me. I do smell a warm, pleasant, amber-y incense at first, but I also get a perfumey floral note and the drydown goes very dry, dusty, and slightly powdery. It also has little hints of what reminds me of dried herbs. I can see how this reminds people of Sunbird, but Sunbird is much better on me...

I'm getting a metallic/incensy vibe from this one. It's a little sharp and dry, all at the same time. Something here is going a little soapy on my skin as well. It's nice, but not something that I would usually wear. I agree that it's got a desert feel to it, very hot and dry. It doesn't last very long, and it's totally gone from my skin in about 2 hours.

Incensey, dry, musky. On wet, it is 'sandy' and resinous - amber and a touch of vetiver, and then it dries to something slightly musky, powdery and soapy. I think the orange may come from orange blossom, and this definitely has some ginger in it.

Overall, it ends up smelling like some really nice masculine soap.

First off, I've never tried Sekhmet.

But this proto smells Christmas-y to me! I get orange, frankincense, amber, and either some cardamom and/or clove. So it's like an orange-tinged, lightly spiced resin scent that's more frank forward at first and more amber-y and less orange-y over time.

I really wish the orange had stuck around throughout wear, but this is a pretty nice proto.