Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ondine

How Doth the Little Crocodile

Chocolate peppermint, mint-soaked vanilla, pistachio, oakmoss, and green cedar.

i knew this would be too foody for me, but i absolutely love pistachio (to eat) and just had to try it in a scent. this starts off with nuttiness and mustiness, which is probably pistachio and cedar. cedar often does weird things with my skin chemistry, unfortunately. a minute or two later i get some chocolate and it's mostly chocolate and cedar with the nuttiness quickly disappearing. i think the peppermint comes out more later on. this is basically chocolate mint and sawdust on me. interesting.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Wow.

This perfume is so magnificent. It is subtle and sweet, like clean skin in freshly washed clothes. On my skin, you can definitely smell the woodiness of the cedar and oakmoss, which keeps it from being too overwhelmingly sweet. It lasts all day and the scent stays true. I have gotten so many compliments from people while wearing this oil.

Absolutely amazing, and would work with anyone who wants something unique, fun, and multi faceted!

This is a really nice perfume, it's like a little warmer and a tiny bit foodier friend to my loved Tombstone.
I mostly get cedar and chocolate-powder(like the mix for hot chocolate, but almost unsweetened).
I wished for more vanilla or more peppermint, but it's fine.
I'ts calm, subtile and nice.

It really holds on hard to my skin, I can still smell it now, after a whole day.
I will keep the imp and might buy another one when I've used it up.

This was a frimp from the lab - so nice!

I was curious about the chocolate and mint, but leery too. When I sniff the imp I get a blast of dark chocolate, replaced immediately with the scent of cedar shavings.

Wet - I smell like a cedar closet.

On the dry down and dry - I catch an occasional whiff of chocolate and mint as I go about my business, but when I sniff my wrist or elbow all I smell is the cedar - perhaps I amp it?

Verdict - not for me as I don't want to smell like a cedar closet - but now I am very curious to try some of the lab's other chocolate scents.

These chocolate-y mint notes have really surprised me as something I like wearing. I usually don't wear gourmands, but have found myself really liking BPALs. This one in particular is perfect because the cedar and oakmoss prevents it from going straight gourmand. Generally, this is a lovely blend of mint, chocolate, and woodsy.

Edit: After wearing this for about three hours, the mint starts to veer into licorice territory, similar to what the pennyroyal in Mad Hatter did on me. I can't stand anything licorice, so this will have to go in the swap box.

Edited by freyasfae

Not sure how I forgot to review this one!

I loved my imp of it so much - gorgeous chocolaty minty woods. So I purchased a bottle, which is unfortunately almost all woods on me. I'm allowing it to age, since I think my imp was aged, hoping it turns into the chocolate-mint woods I had loved so much in the imp.

Imp: First thought- mint chocolate but there is something else, like bark and grass- must be the cedar and the oak moss- interesting scent. I don't pick up the vanilla or pistachio but I'm definitely getting the mint chocolate and the green/tree aspect.

Skin: Smells the same, I get a bit more of the chocolate now, it is a little like Bliss but toned down a lot and very different in the sense that there is a coolness to this that Bliss does not have, the mint adds that iciness. As it dries down even more I start to get hint of the vanilla and it's very nice. This was a frimp and another one that I'm really glad I received. Not sure if I'll invest in a full bottle yet, but I do really like it. Not too sweet, not too strong, just right!

Bottom line- smells like someone decided to mix it up and leave chocolate peppermint bark for santa next to the Christmas tree instead of cookies lol

I got this as a frimp. In the imp this smells overwhelmingly like a thin mint. I had high hopes for this, but once it hit my skin, it turned into sickeningly powdery, burnt cocoa. It actually made me nauseous.

I was trying to decide what to do with it when my boys asked me for cologne. Serendipity. I put a drop on my oldest son (he's 9 so I don't want him to smell too grown up yet). He now smells like nutty, smooth chocolate deliciousness. It's a dream on his skin. Kudos to BPAL, when this isn't on my skin, I'm impressed with it; it's a perfectly blended chocolate masterpiece.

Wand: A woody, sage-like mint, chocolate and pistachio. This smells minty grey-green.

Wet: That woodsy mint, chocolate, pistachio, and now also vanilla.

Dry: The cedar and oakmoss woodiness, and the vanilla base, come forward as this dries. I still get sage, but can't tell if that's just from the mint-oakmoss combo. There's likely some galbanum, too. I like this stage best, as it's very much a hiking-in-arid-woods smell, reminding me of Colorado, and it's pretty. It's also not foodie anymore.

Crocodile goes from playful and foodie, like a vanilla mint-pistachio pudding with chocolate shavings, to a sunny day hiking in dry, rustic woods. I'll enjoy the imp for odd occasions.

I purchased a bottle based on the strength of the ingredients alone. Chocolate, mint, cedar, pistachio? These are all things I love. So how did it work out?

Bottle: Heavily chocolate with peppermint. So far so good.

Wet: Woah, where the heck did that cheap cedar scent (think pencil shavings versus cedar closet) come from?

Drydown: Cheap cedar with a salty/peppery tinge (here's really no other way to describe it) that's completely overridden the chocolate and peppermint

Hours on: A creamy pistachio has at last started to poke its head through the stale cedar smell. If only this were what I was amping.

Final verdict: What a strange blend on me. It doesn't have much in the way of throw, but it lasts forever. I went to bed, showered, went to work and 12+ hours later it was still going strong. I wish some of my favorite scents had this kind of staying power. If the chocolate and pistachio were higher up in the mix for me, I'd love this one.

Edited by LeBateleur

This starts off as a beautiful chocolate-mint, but dry the cedar and oakmoss dominate. There is a touch of pistachio as well, but I was looking for chocolate and mint.

Lab fresh imp. A yummy chocolate and mint scent when wet. Dry, though, it's all cedar and oakmoss. I've never met a wood note I liked, wood just smells weird and unpleasant with my chemistry. I'm dreaming of a version of this scent without the wood notes, like a perfume version of an after-dinner mint...

Edited by CitrusFiend

I thought I got a mislabeled frimp for a while. Overall effect of the opening almost smells like leather on me! (Well, there's that crocodile in the title...) Oakmoss and cedar are very strong at the opening. I wonder if there's been a reformulation or if it's just chemistry. Chocolate note is similar to Bliss, and it keeps playing hide-and-seek in the woods. Mint's in there, too, but it's mixed with the other greens, not producing chocolate mints like I expected. Then the chocolate vanishes and it's pretty much just greenery, with fresh mint contrasting musty oakmoss.

Edited by Convallaria

I forgot there was cedar in this! I happen to love the lab's cedar note, but it is pretty central here. It's noticeably different from the usual cedar in that it's softer and not as spicy, which I guess is the "green" aspect. There's also a noticeable peppermint bark kind of note and some nuttiness. Over time the notes blend better, particularly the cedar and pistachios, and I'm left with a nutty-woody scent with a soft chocolate base and a light touch of mint. Comforting, soft, and unlike anything I've ever smelled. I love it!

Love love love love LOVE love. Woody chocolate, a hint of crispness, a hint of mossiness. It's reminiscent of more recent 13 blends. Nothing at all like a crocodile, and everything like perfection. Can't stop sniffing and I need a bottle!

Where I'd wear this: Dry summers, grabbing an ice cream

It's like sniffing an Andes mint when it's first appled. Chocolatey and minty, but it's not overly sweet. Then it slowly but surely morphs into something more woodsy and green. It's strange because there's a point when it's all chocolate moss and my nose is very confused by that prospect. I fancy this quite a bit, even if it's not my usual fare and is a bit strange unto itself.

In the bottle: Chocolate! Although it hints closer to chocolate mint plants vs straight candy.

Wet: Still chocolate, but now there’s an undercurrent of what reminds me of marzipan made with pistachios instead of almonds. It also reminds me less of super sweet candy and more unsweetened baking chocolate.

Warming: Dark chocolate pistachio marzipan, taken to munch on while trekking through the woods. It’s not really what I usually associate with woodsy; it’s less pine and greenery and more...bark dust and leaves. It’s very subtle, the chocolate still steals the show, flavored with the sweet pistachio marzipan.

Drydown: Chocolate in the woods – I’m getting a little more of the green scents now. It’s very much warm bark and underbrush mixed with chocolate shavings.

Last: This fades pretty decently by the end of the day. If I sniff my wrists I get a faint whiff of bakers chocolate left in the woods to grow old. (Not that that is bad! But it definitely reminds me of when you leave baking chocolate to sit too long, and it goes stale on you.)

Throw: low throw – it stays pretty close to my skin. Although as soon as I raise my body temp through even the mildest of activities, the throw goes up (which is not true for all of the scents I’ve tried.)

I like this, it’s interesting. Not an everyday scent, and probably not one I’ll purchase again when I run out. But it’s whimsical, and I’m glad I tried it.

At first its 95% chocolate mint, 5% cedar.

Then it warms up and the mintiness fades quite a bit, letting pistachio and oakmoss appear and the cedar blooms, leaving us with the most unique chocolatey, nutty, mossy, cedary goodness!

Try this. It's too unique not to!

(Side note: I not only tend to amp cedar.. but I also haaaate the scent.)

Wet: Chocolate peppermint and cedar. More cedar than the chocolate peppermint scent.

Dry: Cedar. Basically just all cedar. A little bit of a sweeter cedar.. but cedar.

This scent is so beautiful, it paints a vivid picture in my mind:

A bowl of warm, rich, melted chocolate sitting in a kitchen window that's been framed with cedar. It's a homey place, lots of gently polished wood worn from use. Whoever's cooking just turned around to shred some mint to infuse, but all the focus is on that bowl of chocolate. There's a vanilla pound cake baking in the oven, and outside the window the summer heat is softening everything, the little bit of wind ushers in a hint of the forest into the kitchen. Everything is drowsy and calm, like a memory slipping out of focus before one falls asleep for a catnap, the taste of a chocolate chip cookie still on the tongue. 

This is initially nutty chocolate and smoke (for some reason?) on me. I surprisingly do not get a strong sense of mint from this (I normally amp mint?) but there is a tiny bit of freshness/cooling sensation to it-- it's very subtle. I couldn't pick the oakmoss but there does appear to be some cedar at the end during the dry down, which mixes well with the chocolate and nuts. I surprisingly did not get a specific plastic note at the end of this which I sometimes do from chocolate. Hmmm! Perhaps it's being masked by the other notes?

My first time reviewing it I thought there was something musky at the end but I'm not certain the second time round. Overall it's an interesting blend that surprisingly works. As with most chocolates on me this is low to medium throw.

initially this is a smokey cocoa mint - initially I thought it had vetiver in it.  It softens to a cozy, subtle sweet mint , earthy chocolate cedar.  It's cozy and warm.  I don't get pistachio or oakmoss. Neither chocolate nor mint work very well on me so I shouldn't like this scent as much as I do, but they actually work with the cedar grounding them (my skin loves cedar). 

This crocodile is woody! At first, it’s a pretty balanced chocolate mint & cedar. Then, the cedar AMPS and is a bit funky for some reason (on its own? because of oak moss?). The mint stays present, and the cedar tones down a bit and loses the funk (phew!). There’s a creaminess from the vanilla and chocolate and/or pistachio, yet neither are revealing themselves completely. 
I’m quite enjoying this gloating reptile. Indeed, he’s a cheerful one, and I’m feeling content to smell like him on this warm sunny day~ 

*wanders off to spritz some Tombstone HG and play outside* 

update: I’ve been thinking of the “chocolate mint” and realized I have some planted in my garden. It’s not too much different from peppermint, maybe a little smoother. 

Edited by artisjok

The vanilla-cedar from Tombstone, with a splash of warm mint. I have a hard time finding chocolate in most scents, and that's the case here. As it dries, the cedar settles and it sweetens up, and then I can pick up a bit of the pistachio. This is a recent frimp. I'm hoping pistachio comes up more as this ages, because it's such a fun note for a perfume. I still don't get much chocolate, but that's fine with me. The cedar saves this from going entirely foodie -- I'm sure the oak moss is helping, but I don't notice it much. This is a quixotic, cute little scent!