Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ondine

How Doth the Little Crocodile

Chocolate peppermint, mint-soaked vanilla, pistachio, oakmoss, and green cedar.

:thud: I love this. At first it's all yummy chocolate mint, but it dries down to a sweeter tombostone with a hint of mint. Love Love Love! :wub2:

Yum. I tend to amp cedar and was a little worried about that here but it doesn't overpower the other notes at all. This is a delicious cocoa mint at first, with the mint fading quickly as it always does on me...the drydown is chocolate with cedar keeping it from being too foody. I agree that it's a bit like Velvet.

I just got a bottle of this on my last trip to Will-Call, since I had tested it in the prototype and pretty much figured I would need a bottle's worth.

Chocolate mint, with a sort of pleasant green and cedar note to it as it fades. The mint has a soothing, cooling effect, and the occasional waft of pistachio almost gives it a hazelnutty feel. Nutty, anyway. :)

This is my substitute for Spooky - and it's nice because there's no coconut in this to overpower the chocolate at all.

OM NOM NOM

In the beginning, it was pure chocolate, after a second or two there was MINT! For about 20 minutes this was pure chocolate mint love, but then it turned into something weird, dusty and just not right :ack: so, I gave it to a co-worker who smells like lovely chocolate mint brownies for hours at a time. (I'm jealous, but now she's enabled :lol:)

Oh man, on wet and as this dries... it's delicious. It does smell like chocolate peppermint on wet, and as it dries, the chocolate and the mint burn off, but I'm left with a musky vanilla (hello oakmoss and vanilla). Unfortunately, it dries to vanilla cedar, which smells like vanilla pencil shavings to me.

BOO. HISS.

In the bottle - Chocolate and something soapy

Wet on me - Chocolate and a dry wood, I would have said not cedar or sandalwood, but beyond that I'm struggling

Dry on me - A light, dry musk onm a background of a very blond wood

Overall - Completely not what I expected; a simple, clean, 'safe' masculine scent

ETA I did this without looking at the notes, shows what I know :lol:

Edited by Ajila

This was a rarity for me- I bought a 5ml unsniffed despite it being GC, and I’m glad I did, because I think I’ll be wearing it a lot.

It’s mint chocolate, yes, but it’s the first BPAL chocolate that isn’t overwhelmingly “super-rich foody” to my nose.

Upon drydown I detect something that is almost, just almost, aquatic in nature. The cedar is there, but behaving itself (even though I usually amp it like crazy). The vanilla also doesn’t overwhelm.

My general impression: clean, sweet but not overly so, well-rounded, and very pleasant.

I smell the chocolate at the start, followed by a cedar phase that burns off quickly to return to the delicious and refreshing choco mint note. In the end what stays it`s a delicate cookie nuance so yummy that every time I move I feel hungry. I`m a cocoa maniac and I will enjoy forever this little jewel!

In the imp, this is one of the best smelling things my nose has ever experienced. I love chocolate, but so far this is the first BPAL with a chocolate note that I have actually liked the smell of in the imp/bottle.

Buuuut, I majorly amp cedar. Like major major. I smell like a walking forest right now. If I sniff really deeply (which is honestly a little painful with all that cedar), I can smell the mint lurking beneath.

I only applied about an hour ago, so I'm hoping it mellows out a little bit. Right now it's a bit too much cedar for me.

I have to admit, after seeing a couple of the reviews on this I was hoping for something a little more like MB: Tokyo Stomp (which I missed thanks to not knowing what BPAL was when it was available, and fell in love with later)... but on me, this started out as pure chocolate and ended up as cedar and oakmoss with chocolate that you can only find if you sniff hard enough. No vanilla, no mint... a wonderful scent in its own right, but the notes I hoped for the most were the ones that I didn't get even a whiff of. I think I'll keep my imp, but not going after a bottle.

In the bottle I think How Doth the Little Crocodile smells like cookies baking in a forest. After it dries on me I get more of a warm woodsy scent than anything. Its still nice and something I would wear occasionally but it wouldn't be a go to for a sweet tasty scent.

:love!:

This smells like a mix of a lot of my favorite scents. It's like someone crammed Spooky, Tokyo Stomp, Lump of Coal, and Tombstone together in a bottle with a drop of oakmoss. I get a really rich chocolate brownie, vanilla mint cookies, and an edge of dry cedar and oakmoss. I love foodie scents and I love them even more when they have a unique, earthier side. All of the notes in this blend together sooo well.

I love this Little Crocodile. My only complaint is that it fades rather quickly on me (lasts an hour on my skin), but it's definitely full bottle worthy and worth reapplying.

This brought a huge smile to my face as it is soooo pistachio, which I love and not only for how unusual it is.

There's no real sudden change to this, the beginning is strongly pistachio but the mint/vanilla is there, as is a hint of chocolate. As it dries further gradually the pistachio dials down and the chocolate sneaks through a bit more but it always feels balanced. It has a "green" feel, but the colour green, not the scent of green plants. It's a foodyish smell for a hot day. I can imagine I smell cedar, but it is in no way a major player - it's like say a tree in Twilight compared to Bella (mint/vanilla), Edward (pistachio), and Jacob (chocolate).

Nuts?? Yes I am! :joy:

Who would like it: well aside from me, who found it everything wished for, try it if you like Tokyo-Stomp (dare I even say I think this is better?!), Green Tree Viper (this is like the snake oil-less version, kind of).

I was frimped a decant of this (Thank you Dark Alice) and it smells like Thin Mints in the vial and while wet on my skin but the dry down (on me) smells just like Egg'd Mailbox. A very soft sweet pretty floral. Oh why oh why did it do that??? I have Egg'd so won't be needing a bottle of this.

Edited by beachbabealways

:wub2: Nuts, mint and chocolate. Whats not to love. I appreciate the addition of cedar, so as not to make this super sweet. An imp will do, because I have enough chocolate blends to last a lifetime, considering the hubby hates the smell of chocolate. Edited by Schmoozy

In the imp: Mint and chocolate! And a hint of pencils?

Wet: Yip. This is the smell on your fingers when you eat some peppermint crisp chocolate after sharpening a pencil.

Dry: Peppermint crisp chocolate and a hint of vanilla. The "pencil" is almost entirely imperceptible (I can only smell it because I am looking for the pencils from earlier).

A while later: This is the bpal with THE most staying power that I have encountered. I was still getting wafts of peppermint crisp chocolate and vanilla at the end of my work shift, 9 hours later. I can still get a soft whiff of vanilla and chocolate if I huff my skin, 15 hours later. It smells yummy and lasts forever.

This one is really different on me. In the imp, I get a Bliss-like chocolate mint, and on for a brief time. It dries down to pretty much school pencil with a touch of mint. This reminds me of school, and sneaking gum and chewing on your pencil. A wet mess of woody pencil with a touch of mint. The chocolate is pretty much non-existent, though my skin tends to do that with cocoa blends. Not working for me, this croc.

Imp: Very faint. Sort of a slight mint and chocolate I guess.

Wet: Gah...chocolate and cedar. Then is starts to give way to pistachio (shells not ice cream).

Dry: It is clearly chocolaty now but not thrilling. The pistachio note is a bit stale.

Overall: Nothing to compare to any of the 13s I've tried.

In the vial: cedar and pistachio with mint and chocolate lurking in the background. So far so good, but I suspect it won't be very wearable. Reminds me of Velvet.

Wet on skin: dry cedar at first, which soon moves over to make room for chocolate and mint. Like sweet, mint cream chocolate biscuits over a layer of sawdust!

Dry on skin: mint, vanilla, sawdust and chocolate. No discernible pistachio or oakmoss. Pleasant.

How Doth the Little Crocodile - I don't think I've ever really liked a BPAL chocolate blend, but I LOVE this one! :wub2: It smells like chocolate, mint, and vanilla. Normally, that combo of notes would turn to either dust or plastic on my skin, but apparently the other notes in this blend keep it working on me, even though I can't distinguish them in the scent. I didn't think I'd ever like to smell like chocolatey food, but this blend has changed my mind. It's delightful!

I was well prepared to hate this when it arrived as a frimp sniffie in my decant circle package. I hate mint, and foodie smells do not get along with me or my nose. But, I try almost everything that crosses my path, so I very reluctantly dabbed some on.

Wow.

Just.... wow.

There was an initial blast of chocolate mint, creamy and fresh at the same time. My nose wrinkled in protest, but before I could react, the mint burned off and I was left with a smooth creamy chocolate woodsy smell. Like Wulric without the powdery overtone. Holy crap this is good!! The cedar doesn't go to pencil shavings, and I think the oakmoss lends a subtle spice here. Oh it's swoonworthy. I LOVE when I find something that completely goes against all odds on my skin.

:wub2:

Really beautiful chocolate mint.The moss and cedar come up, and the vanilla, still with the mint presence.

When first applied the chocolate mint is very noticeable. But it smells more like the herb "chocolate mint" than baked goods. This is actually not foody at all to me.

Unfortunately, that first burst of chocolate mint burns off in under 5 minutes. Fortunately, I like the smell of oak moss, because that's pretty much what I'm left with. The hubby finds oak moss to be overly masculine on me, so we'll see how this works out...

I really like this! Usually chocolat-y scents turn, but this doesn't. It's not very chocolate-y either. On my skin I can smell the oakmoss, pistacio and greed cedar. It's really light and I agree with the comparison to Tombstone (my favorite). It's a reminisence of that. I'll probably keep my imp, but I won't need a bottle.