Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
topaz

Berry Moon 2009

A golden summer musk with warm fig, orange blossom honey, sweet blueberries, and bright velvety crimson raspberries.

I'm still fairly new- in fact, this was the first lunacy that was available when I discovered BPAL. I was, at first, really excited about it. I ADORE berry scents. But reading the reviews, it seemed like fig & honey, and also maybe musk, might be predominate notes and so I stayed away. Then I tried Carnal, and found out I love that fig note, even if I don't eat fig newtons LOL. So I figured I'd try to get a bottle from a forumite.

It turns out I really like this blend. Its very golden, to me. Honey and fig, with the faintest hint of light musk behind it. I don't really get much berry at all. A little blueberry, I think. I wish I got those tart juicy raspberries everyone else smells, but no. Honestly though, I liked this blend enough to search out a second bottle. It's late-summer-gorgeous.

I was hoping for this to be dominant on all the notes except the berries, actually. I adore musk, fig, and honey, and wouldn't have minded a little blueberry. Berries are hit or miss on me, and I was very nervous when this looked like it was going to be heavy on the berries at first sniff.

Artificial, "Barbie doll plastic" raspberry came out as the top note at first. Very upsetting, but that gets largely swallowed up in the drydown and everything else really blooms. Berry Moon is mostly thick, dark woodland honey (pointedly not foody) with a hint of dry, chewy, purple fig to provide a nice grounding. The musk blends pretty seamlessly with the honey, but it kind of reminds me of a richer, more heady version of skin musk.

The threat of plastic is almost nonexistent now and I thank my chemistry for not focusing on it. The other elements of this blend are hearty enough to make up for it.

Edited by Aldercy

The other day I was wandering around a flea market, listening to music, hanging around the drum circle, smelling hand dipped incense, cheap body oils & food from the trucks. After arriving home I decided I needed to be more scented, so I randomly pulled out my decant of Berry Moon.

*apply apply apply* - Oooh. that's strong! Some kinda fake berry / fruit scent! Was it this strange when I tried it upon arrival? Where are the berries? Why is it going 'car freshener' on me?

Drydown - What does it smell like? It's not foody. Not like pie. Kind of .... incensy. Sort of like that hand dipped incense at the flea market. um.... yeah.

So maybe my nose was broken from all the strange smells earlier, but berry moon is very fake on me. Maybe it'll age into something pretty.

Wet right out of the bottle Berry Moon is squashed blueberries and raspberries but as it dries down on my skin it warms into a sweet musk that I just love! On further drydown the sweetness returns to become ripe berries with honey.. the musk is very faint in the background but pleasantly detectable.

I was hoping that the sweet musk of the initial drydown would linger longer than it did but I do like the final dry notes, though it's a bit sweeter than I tend to wear everyday.... It's especially nice for sitting around in my bathrobe sipping coffee (like I'm doing right now). :yum:

I've had this scent since it came out and I never reviewed it!

In the bottle: Pale musk and blue berries and another red berry, but doesn't not smell like raspberry. Very yummy!!

Wet: Smells like sweet artificial berries. Like blue raspberry lollipops. I was hoping for more of a natural strawberry moon smell, but I like it anyway.

Dry: Some thing creamy and musky comes out. Not really berrylike anymore. Not too sweet, but very heavy and creamy.

Overall: Not really what I had hoped, especially when dry. But, it's still pretty. A bit too heavy for hot and humid summer, so I'll wear in in fall or spring.

Musky berries and fig, from wet to dry. What's not to love? :wub2: I like most all berry blends, and this one is no exception. It is not too cloying or sweet with the musk, and the berry I get is raspberry, a good thing, as blueberry is the only berry scent I don't like. The blueberry actually kept me from purchasing a bottle when it was live a couple of months ago. It kind of reminds of Miller vs. California a bit with the fig, and a Chaos Snake Oil that I have which was raspberry and Snake Oil. OK, just peeked, and I see there is orange blossom, another note I like, and can recognize it now that I know it's there. I love this, and very glad I have a couple of imps. I don't need a bottle, as I am pretty overloaded with berry blends. :blush:

Edited by milo

No teenybopper in-your-face-blast-of-berry-body-spray here! This is a melange of sweet honeyed figs and berries made all golden and sun-warmed by the musk. They honey is balanced just perfectly without being cloyingly sweet. It's a "grown-up berry" that's party foody and delicious and part sweet and sophisticated at the same time. I'm not getting any artificially-flavored blue raspberry lollipops, just a scoop of sun-warmed berries drizzled with honey. A brilliant summer sunset in shades of crimson and purple, bottled for your convenience :lol:

Not as sweet as I had hoped but a lovely spicy blueberry scent!

It's very musky on me at first I hope it tones down abit, a nice Fall scent that reminds me of Thanksgiving, could be a really great room spray!!

It's a very warm and sophisticated smell, I might put it away and let it age a bit, see what happens!! :)

Tried it again and it's a little too musky on me -pretty though.

Edited by Lilly

I was so excited for this one, since I love berries and usually get along fine with the other notes, but it was just too musky on me :( There was some sweetness coming from the honey and the berries, but it ended up cloying and the whole mix was just not good on my skin. I'm really sad this didn't work, I thought I would love it.

when this first came out, I completely dismissed it.

I'm not a berry person.. I'm soooo far from a berry person because so many that Ive dated in the past only liked "berryish" scents.

After all the reviews, had to at least give it a try but wasnt expecting much.

I ended up slathering it the entire 12 hour road trip I took yesterday :lol:

Its ripe, overripe berries, mostly blueberry (which I can tolerate much more than strawberry!)

I'm also getting this superclean musky thing from it.

Its like a sexy clean blueberry.

Not getting much honey or fig *shrugs*

I really like it :D

Damn this is beautiful. Upon initial application Berry Moon is blueberry musk with fig and orange blossom honey. I simply love how spicy orange blossom can make a blend, and this is no exception. I really do not detect teh raspberries, but you can tell they are inside because Berry Moon feels like a lush red scent.

I was slightly disappointed in this one. In the bottle it smelled sweet with underlying musk and same with wet, it was a perfect berry scent. But in the drydown the musk was heavy, heavy dominant. It's still lovely and I'll keep the bottle and wear it every now and then, I only wish the way it smelled wet and dry was the same. It was just killer in the bottle but the musk is a bit too amped when it's dry on me.

Berry Moon really lives up to its name. The blueberries and raspberries are very prominent. I don't get much honey, and I don't know what fig smells like, but this is quite nice.

:joy:

Berries and fig and a bit of musk. Smells exactly like the description! I don't normally like honey all that well, but when it's with fig usually it behaves. Seems to be behaving just fine in this one.

Also, the berries in this were too tart when I first got the decant, but now they're fine. They've mellowed out a bit. I'm glad I decided to hang on to this one for a while. It went from being an "Eek, no!" scent to a "Hey, I wouldn't mind having a bottle" scent.

horror. Smells like feet. Then a bit of berries. Then old lady perfume. The spoiled berries. There is definitely a funky quality to it with deep berry undertones. It smells terrible and I need to wash it off. Like 5 minutes ago. Horrid.

Bottle: berry flavoured cough syrup.

Wet on Skin: sun-warmed blueberries and raspberries over musk, and that delicious orange blossom honey drizzled all over. Sweet and tart!

Drydown: mmm berries, staying quite true on me from the wet stage.

Soooo loved this when I first tried it via Gingiemay! so much so that I obtained a bottle and have been waffling over wearing it ever since. All I can smell is blueberries in there! it is getting a little muskier over time so I will have to chance it soon and take the plunge with a slather. I expect it will still work for me, I just really don't want it to be all blueberry. Where my raspberries at?!?! I will update this again in the coming months and tell what I really think.

Oh this is a glorious scent, I can mainly smell the berries with the honey and the fig in the background. Absolutly loving this scent.

In the imp - Berry flavoured cough syrup. It has that medicinal quality in the imp, absolutely artificial. But I have faith it will dry down to perfect authenticity!

Wet - Fig, fig, fig and raspberry! A little mandarin blossom creeping in and swirling around somewhere, but not enough to make me think citrus.

Dry - Oh no... citrus! My lovely raspberry has disappeared. It's a little narcotic, with a hint of Freakshow. That kind of perverse citrus, it just should not be here! But it insists on staying put, and I am not a happy bunny.

Verdict - I am disappointed. I wanted to love this. I had high hopes. I think this little imp will be looking for a new home....

Pure YUMMMM!!!

In the bottle: a little funky, I think this is mostly fig I'm smelling

Wet: Berries galore!! A little figgy, but now smelling equal parts blueberry and raspberry, yummy!

Dry: The fig aroma is mostly gone, now just smelling the berries, this is a nice one!!

:)

Melanie

In the bottle: Blueberries and musk.

Wet on skin: The honey comes out a bit more, there's almost a baby-powdery scent going on for some reason. The musk fades as is dries.

Dry on skin: The honey is definitely there, mixed with bit of blueberry, with hints of citrus in the background.

There's a little fruit-scented-plastic-doll the longer I wear it, but I sort of like that, haha. :D I love this one!

In bottle: Honey, fig and a touch of blueberries

Wet: Green, bitter fig swirling through a haze of musk and sweet honey.

Dry: The fig eventually calms down and it turns into this sweet berry blend. Unfortunately after a short time this then turns into candy.

Notes: I really liked it up until the candy part of the equation…

In the decant, I think I'm getting the fig and the orange blossom honey; a very interesting combo. On my skin, it's orange blossom honey. ...Damnit. I don't think I'm going to be getting much else out of this, barring a major turnaround.

In the bottle I got a golden musky scent. On me, however, it turns into a slight berry scented soap. This isn't a terrible thing mind you because it smells pretty close to a soap I used to use down at my grandma's. Kind of a nice reminder.

So verdict is still out on this one just yet. I'll stick it away for a couple of months and see what happens.

In the vial – Smells gross.

On the skin – Sickening for a moment, before smoothing out to a weird floral berry.

Dry – More floral berry, but kind’ve a gross one. Bleah. I had to wash it off.