Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Ondine

Fenris Wolf v2

Bear in mind that I haven't tried Fenris Wolf (the released version) on at all.

The oil is a reddish color and on application I am immediately hit with a sense of powerful masculinity. This scent would be HOT on the right man. Yet I think it's nice also on a woman.

I smell almost a cola-like note underneath muskiness. It's definitely like the red musk the released version describes but I'm not picking up on amber in it at all, so maybe the amber note in the released version was replaced with the cola note I'm smelling here.

Overall, it seems closest to me like Schwarzer Mond, so if you liked that blend, you'd also likely enjoy this one.

I, also, have never tried the actual released GC version of Fenris Wolf, but based on the description I pulled up for that version (Rosewood, amber, red musk and a dribble of red sandalwood.), I can say that there are absolute similarities, but this is clearly a different blend too.

in the bottle and wet, i get a heavy aroma of vetiver, with something sweet and almost maple-y as an afterthought, but it's a resin-maple, not a foodie-maple.

the initial scent that comes for me upon dry down is amber- thick, sweet resinous amber. there is nothing subtle about this amber- this is the type i used to wear before i knew of BPAL- just sweet thick petrified tree sap. (i assume this is what seemed like maple syrup to me earlier ;) )

after several minutes, Fenris changed again, and the amber morphed into a more subtle, but powerful champa scent, slightly powdery, but not so much that i wanted to stop huffin my arm or anything. :smilenod:

about 10 minutes after *that*, the oil shifts again- the amber comes back, but now it's being kept in check by that beautiful, woody vetiver that i caught in the bottle.

in all, for all it's morphing, the one constant with Fenris Wolf V2, is that for me it is being in a hot summer forest, a large campfire raging close enough to catch the sweet burning smells of the wood, but not so close that i can't smell the earthy woods around me.

this is total, total love, and i am indebted to schackjj for-EVAH for hooking me up with this beautiful, complex and fabulous scent.

:wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

I was going to do a comparison using my imp of GC Fenris Wolf, but it seems sadly that it's gone off a little bit (it IS several years old though). Poo! I'll just have to go by memory.

Anyway, Fenris Wolf v2 is brighter and more resinous to me than the released version. It seems much more unisex. The released version was always extremely masculine to me and was much heavier on the sandalwood and red musk to my nose. I do smell the musk in v2, but it's more understated and the sweet resins definitely come to the forefront.

Wet - Spicy woods, very resinous amber, and a little touch of the musk.

Drydown - Definitely feels more "dry". The amber softens into something that feels almost powdery, but not baby-powder. The spiciness of the sandalwoods comes out and you get a nice whiff of the musk. I got a lot of compliments on this one.

Interestingly when I sniffed the shirt I was wearing last night this morning, it smelled like straight up sandalwood.

This is a beautiful blend but I can see why they went with the released-version formula in keeping with the theme. The released Fenris Wolf screams animal "power" in a way that this doesn't quite match. Released definitely has something else too. Maybe the rosewood? I'm not sure. I love both of these though! I'm so grateful I got a bottle of the proto and I have to resist the urges to slather...

in the vial: it's masculine with a hint of something sweet and a bit of eucalyptus.

on application: it's a lovely musky sandalwood. it's resinous and fiery. but it's not going powdery and it's not too masculine for me to wear, but this would smell amazing on the right guy.

Much more mellow than the released version...resinous, sweetly spiced, and not too masculine. This is much more my taste than the released version, but both are nice.

This prototype is much more unisex. This wolf is made of sexy red musk, a touch of woody sandalwood and teensy bit of smoke - which is fresh which makes me think it has some eucalyptus along with the vetiver.

Fun, sexy, predatory.

It's been a while since I tried the released Fenris Wolf, but I'm definitely liking this prototype version more. I find this less masculine (more unisex) and more sweet, smooth, & wearable.

There's a dark, sweet resinous-ness here that reminds me of Schwarzer Mond a little bit (but this isn't quite as heavy or strong as Schwarzer Mond), and I can still smell a warm red musk type of smell here. As it dries down it goes slightly powdery and creamy smelling on me, so there might be amber or sandalwood, and I'm getting a sweet spiciness as well (cinnamon or sweet clove?). I'm leaning towards sandalwood, because it does have a slight dry woods & earth edge to it.

I really like this blend. It's like a woodsy resin with sensual red musk and just enough sweetness and a hint of spice to make it really cozy. I wish that I could get more of this one, because it's a really sexy scent that I think I'll wear a lot in fall.

After spending a wonderful night reading just about every review/description in this folder and on this board to make up my wishlist, Fenris Wolf v2 went to my very short list thanks to the comments about "cola" and the comps to my precious Schwarzer Mond. So when I saw a bottle on Etsy I HAD to buy it.

What a very smart decision!!!

IN THE BOTTLE: Oh yeah, baby. Sexy cola. Come to mama.

Dabbed pretty generously on both wrists and in crooks of arm. And yes, I may have put some in the cleavage.

WET: Oooooooowwwwwwwwwoooooooo. What does the wolf say? Resiny. Delicious. COLA COLA COLA. In case you hadn't guessed, I love the cola scent (which I THINK is opoponax but not sure). This is just the perfectest of perfect blends when wet ... so how will it dry? I know that sometimes this wet scent can dry just a tad TOO masculine for me.

DRYDOWN: Just delish. Perfect perfect perfect. I can see why it would probably be classified as a "guy scent" but it is just divine on this girl. It just makes me think of deep, dark secrets. I cannot stop sniffing myself when I wear it.

OVERALL: Um, yeah, I like it :thud: :wub2: ... I do remember the released version of Fenris Wolf, which I liked a lot (I MAY be wrong but for some reason I think I may have sent mine to Lycanthrope or a newbie who loved this kind of blend). I can't recall exactly how they differed, but whatever the case may be, I can't imagine a more perfect blend for ME than this one. SO grateful to have gotten my hands on one.

On a scale of 1-5, a definite 5.

(I am testing this and the released version at the same time)

Wet: Red musk, pepper? and woods. Pine, maybe? I think it's a different wood than the released version, but I can't be sure.

Dry: Amazing. Sweet red musk. This is almost a red musk single note on me, but sweetened really nicely by...something. It's freakin sexy, is what it is. I like it way better than the released version. I don't find it masculine at all on me, completely unisex. And awesome. I want to roll in it. So glad I blind bought it.