Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
heathercaley

Alice's Evidence

Containing nary a neutron of meaning: rum-quince-cassis with prune and a bit of black ginger.

In the imp, Cinnamon and a faint fruity musk. A bit like cinnamon bubble gum. I'm afraid to try this as the cinnamons and nutmegs an those scents burn my skin. I'll try a tiny, tiny bit and see.

Smells like cinnamon gum, and only cinnamon gum! Like the Dentyne fire gum, the one that burns your mouth but is so delicious (at least to me, as i on;y chew cinnamon jum that almost burns my mouth :lol: ). Almost smells like a cinnamon yankee candle, but doesn't smell that artificial, just potent. Love it, but would rather chew it than wear it....

Oh hello ginger! So nice to have you here, especially when you are surrounded by fruity, sweet, utterly delicious companions such as plum and cassis. This smells like a wonderful tea-based hot beverage - I'd love to wrap my hands around a steaming mug of it!

This is a remarkably true gingerroot note: bright and fresh, but not at all sharp nor astringent. The plum and quince soften the ginger beautifully, while the cassis sort of lingers at the periphery. All the components are very well balanced and harmonious.

The cassis and rum assert themselves a little more after drydown, making Alice's Evidence less gourmand and more cosy / comforting.

If you like the other components but rum gives you pause, don't be afraid to try Alice's Evidence - the rum in it is very well behaved and it never comes across as alcohol, more like an added layer of bright fruitiness.

A new cold-weather favourite, highly recommended to those who enjoy spicy/fruity scents.

I hate cinnammon so I'm glad I didn't read the reviews before I bought the imp of this, lol.

On me it's fruity with the prune, but not overly sweet (as you'd expect), with a little spice & I totally get the bubblegum another reviewer mentioned. It's subtle though, not like JAILBAIT BUBBLEGUM IN YO FACE!!

Really nice & unusual. Though not nice enough for me to want more, I have other scents I prefer.

Hmm.. yeah, this is not my kinda thing at all :(

It smells like a fruit mince pie that someone accidentally tipped too much cinnamon into. Or a spicy salsa that you'd find on a Thai dish. The prune is rich and fruity, but it's completely dominated by the spicy ginger and the rum. After around 10 minutes of dry-down, the ginger comes out more strongly but then the whole thing develops a slightly mentholated smell that I'm not really enjoying. I do agree with other reviewers - Alice's Evidence reminds me of that cinnamon chewing gum.

Personally, this isn't something I want to smell like. It's not that the fragrance is bad.. it's not just my kind of scent. But if you love spicy fruity things, it might just be perfect for you!

I got this as a frimp from the lab.

I like this scent very much. The quince and plum give it a juiciness that sweetens the HOT ANGRY cinnamon/ginger combo. That is some SERIOUSLY PISSED OFF spice. My skin is generally not sensitive in the least and this gave me a warm sensation (like those lip plumping lipsticks if you know what I mean).

After a couple of wearings, I did start to get a very short lived soapy phase that it would cycle through. But it went away quickly and was really only apparent when I wore too much.

Then... Husband told me that I smelled like Cracker Barrel. It's a Country Cooking restaurant in the Southern U.S. Yankee Candles are very big as is potpourri. Maybe Cinnamon brooms rings a bell? Anyway, since then it has just reminded me of Cracker Barrel and commercial cinnamon scents. Thanks big-mouth.

In the Vial: I would never have expected this to smell like apple juice, but it does! It smells just like the Allen's apple juice that I loved as a kid. Well, I suppose the cinnamon gives it more of an apple cider feel, but it's definitely cold, not hot, apple cider. If I try really hard, I can recognize the "apple" note as the prune it actually is, but wow, it's doing a great job of masquerading as apple.

Wet: The cassis is gaining a lot of steam. And I mean, a freaking lot of steam. It's now straight-up woodsy cinnamon with just a hint of something fruity behind it. It's reminding me a lot of Port Royal, actually, which I suppose means I'm getting the rum as well, though it's not really popping out at me.

Dry: Okay, the cassis has calmed down and the prune is coming back out. The throw kind of smells like beer (or more accurately, like beer I spilled and which has dried into my clothes), but up close it's still apple juice - but boozy apple juice. Yep, definitely getting the rum now. I'm really liking this!

An Hour Later: It didn't change much, only to get warmer and woodsier. How it's woodsy at all, I couldn't tell you.

Overall: Not at all what I was expecting, but I like it! Brings back warm, fuzzy memories of childhood... until the rum shows up, anyway. Quite an interesting blend.

The first time I applied to my skin it was straight cinammon nothing else, then as the fragance warmed up it smelled something like crisp apples with a sharp cinnamon smell with the rum picking out.

At the end it was very spicy, lots of ginger with rum soaking prunes coming out.

For me it is a fruity/spicier scent and I quite like it, but I think the ginger is quite strong so I like it but it is not

one of my favorite scents.

When I first tried this as a frimp months and months ago, I wasn't even willing to put this on my skin so I never reviewed it, threw it in the back of my imp box, and forgot about it. My tastes lately have been changing though, so I pulled this one out again to play.

Alice's Evidence smells like a delicious rum and spice cake with pieces of plum baked in. I've never been into foody sorts of scents and I did hate this when I first got it but I would wear this now. It's yummy and would be an awesome fall scent. But to heck with it, I'm wearing it out tonight! :lol:

Alice's Evidence is gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. On me, it starts out very sharp and peppery-gingery, then calms down a bit and smells exactly like stewed spiced quinces. It also reads very Christmas-y to me, so I think I'm going to set aside my imp to wear during the holidays.

In the imp and fresh on: Sharp, then sweet; the ginger is much stronger in the imp than on my skin. The fruits are to the fore, with the rum just a boozy tinge in the background.

Drydown: Fruity/spicy, very pleasant. Rum sometimes goes weird for me, but this isn't one of the times. What it reminds me of (because I was wearing it recently) is Rl'yeh after it morphs out of the aquatic phase, only with more fruit.

Long-term: Stays pretty much the same, with a bit more underlying sweetness as time passes. A nice spiced-fruit scent, warm and autumnal. Staying power is excellent; after 12 hours, it's still very present on my wrists and even has a bit of throw.

Bottom line: Keeper and favorite, especially for autumn and winter.

In the imp: Boozy, and something that reminds me of raisins, somehow.

On skin, wet: Spicy, boozy fruit. Still smells more like raisins to me than quince, cassis or prune, though.

On skin, dry: Crap, there's cinnamon in here. Now, I love cinnamon, but I also amp it to an insane degree. This now smells like cinnamon and just a touch of boozy fruit.

After an hour: Cinnamon, cinnamon, cinnamon. And maybe the subtlest hint of sweet fruit, very far in the background.

This was one of the boatload of beautiful frimps gifted to me with my first ever order. Oh, memories. :D

In the imp: Rum, plums, currant, and ginger. More foody than I normally wear, but why not?

On me, wet: Freaking lovely combination of ginger and plums. This was the blend that helped me realize that while I do not like ginger in food, in perfumes it is absolutely lovely on me. I'm not a huge fan of cinnamon, but it's nice in here--honestly, this is kind of a holiday scent to me? Something I'd wear to a Christmas party. I like the addition of the rum note here, too, as an enthusiastic lover of sweet girly drinks.

On me, dry: Fades pretty quickly, but the ginger and plum stick around faintly. I like the earlier stages better, but it's a very sweet slightly-spicy blend that would go well with a cold winter day.

In the bottle: a freebie with my last order. it's very richly spiced - I love the ginger - and while there's a little bit of bitterness that comes presumably from the prunes, overall this smells really rich. not sweet per se, though there is some sweetness in it. it's really focused on the ginger and after that, the rum. I think it's almost like a scarier/gothier version of Bensiabel (minus the lilacs), if that makes any sense.

On my skin: turns into straight rum and ginger on my skin that quickly becomes all about the cassis. I don't like cassis that much - I prefer cinnamon or clove or a blend thereof - so I admit this isn't my favorite. I appreciate the spiced rum quality of the whole concoction though. I can barely catch some shy hints of the quince, but it's not strong enough to make any lasting impression (i.e. I can only catch said hints if I'm huffing it). as it ages, it becomes sweeter, though no less spicy.

Last thoughts: if you want to smell like tasty spiced rum, this one's for you! this is spiced rum with a candied ginger garnish that is defiantly spicy. definite bite to this one.

In the imp, I got kind of a fruity spiced rum - not something I would have picked for myself (it was a frimp from the Lab), but intriguing. Wet, all I got was a kind of foody potpourri - sort of like opening a jam jar in a candle store. The ginger was nowhere to be found on me, which was a bummer as it's a favorite note of mine. After a couple hours, it dried down into pure baby powder, again not a scent I'm fond of. I might try this in a scent locket, but I probably won't hang on to it, as I have other boozy (Centzon Totochtin) and cinnamon-y (Chimera) scents I prefer.

Origin: Frimp from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: I'm going to guess it was a combination of not seeing any of my favorite notes combined with the word "black" that has made me skip this one before. I tend to amp black musks and probably presumed that black ginger wouldn't work on my skin.

In the Vial: Wow, that is a serious noseful of spice. The ginger and cinnamon are very strong and of all things it smells like the spice combo I use when preparing my crock-pot brown sugar pork. Not quite the "foody" I would want in a perfume...

Wet: Damn, it really does smell like the ingredients for my pork, sans the pork. Spices, heavy on the ginger, and a little bit of fruit underneath.

Drydown: After a brief phase where the spices skirt toward painful on the skin, the fruit fades and leaves almost pure spice in its wake, but in a fainter, sort of dusty version of how it smells in the vial.

Verdict: Definitely an interesting experience in smell association, but not something I would wear.

It's Christmastime in the bordello! If Bordello had a shy, more holiday-minded sibling, it would be Alice's Evidence.

Wet on my skin, this is a nostalgia trip into the Kirkland's that I used to love going to in a local mall that has long since closed. That's probably the prune/ginger combination talking. This would be a gorgeous room scent, but I don't really mind smelling like a Kirkland's myself when I need a comfort scent. Prune, cassis, and ginger stand out the most on me and I get a strong impression of cinnamon at first. There's a touch of quince in the background and barely any rum. Throw is low once it's had about an hour on my skin and it doesn't last more than about three hours even when I put some in my hair. If it lasted longer Alice's Evidence might become a bottle purchase, but I think the lab's generous frimp will be enough at least for now. My synesthetic tendencies see this as a glittery burgundy and deep gold.

Alice's Evidence would likely be perfect for anyone who's looking for something soft, especially in colder weather.

This one is mainly plum, with a touch of fresh ginger. The plum is a little too (sickly) sweet for me, and I've never done well with the lab's fresh ginger note (though I love the spicy/foody version).

I'll have to pass on this one.

I usually love spice based perfumes, but this smells like cloves and stale gingerbread cookies on my skin. Hopefully it may mellow out after a few hours.

Edit: After several hours it still smells like stale gingerbread cookies, but now has a heavy, choking floral scent instead of cloves.

Edited by AgentOrange

Why didn't I read fully through the reviews before testing? :cry2:

This gives off a beautiful, rich, spicy dried fruit scent as it burns its way through my skin. Damn and blast. :(

In the Imp: Cinnamon!

On my skin: Medicinal and cinnamon. I kept sniffing at my wrist because the scent reminded me of something and I couldn't pinpoint what. About an hour after application, I sniffed at my wrist again and suddenly...Tiger Balm :eek: It's died down a bit but still, Tiger Balm. That's too bad. I had high hopes for this one.

In the imp I can definitely smell how strong the ginger is. It reminds me of Shub-Niggurath, with more dark fruits. (There are three gingers in Shub so I suppose it should.)

Beautiful dark, spicy, fruity rum (almost smells like wine), but not too boozy, with a spike of black ginger that blends in after a few minutes. Sexy and throw is amazing. May get a bottle of this if I run out of my imp.

Edited by leira

Imp: Yum! Sweet dried fruits, candied ginger and maybe a tiny bit of soft cinnamon. Oh man, I want to eat a big spoonful of whatever the equivalent of this would be! Maybe date bars?

Wet: A lovely, wintertime smell of dried apples, plums, apricots, cinnamon, ginger and a little bit of pine-y floral. Smells like a Christmas wreath, a winter tea, or a candle store but in a good way. If I start humming carols I'll know what happened.

Dry: Christmas candles, fruity and spicy and sweet. Maybe it's cliche, but I actually really like this smell! I will enjoy the heck out of it in December.

Edited by WidgetAlley

In the imp: Woah! This is a strong fruit and spice blend.

Wet on skin:Very much like the imp, but the notes are becoming more distinguishable. I can smell prunes, what I believe to be fig (although it's not listed), some type of light citrus and clove (again, not listed) and a touch of spicy ginger.

Drydown: This blend softens up a bit, so it's not nearly as harsh as I had anticipated. This reminds me of mincemeat for some reason, - like rich, candied dried fruits with a touch of alcohol and lots of spices. I think this is a winter weather scent, because in summer it would just become cloying and altogether too much (I did try this during the summer months and it was icky.).Granted, this isn't a scent I'd reach for often, but I'm enjoying it, especially during the cold weather.