Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Alchemist

Scents that give the "Black" color vibe

Any of the Velvet Painting series. Noir, of course, if you can get your hands on it. From the GC, Black Rose, Desire, and Haunted have also always been "elegant black" scents to my nose.

I'm looking for a scent to match with my black velvet dress and red lipstick . What do you suggest ? ;)

Black Rose- a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.

Lilith- Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose

Wanda - deep red merlot with a faint hint of leather, sexual musk and body heat over crushed roses, violets and myrtle

Wicked - A sophisticated, womanly scent: rich myrrh and jasmine draped in the subtlest rose.

all perfect for that outfit!

I second Wanda and any other blend with red wine like Madrid and Lady Macbeth.

The latest 13, if you have it.

Any blend with coffee, such as Mata Hari.

If you like fruity blends, Black Pearl is a lovely floral with coconut. Sounds weird but it does feel black to me.

French Love. The least sweet of the ylang-ylang based blends I've tried.

Maybe Kali, if you like sweet blends.

If you don't like foodies or florals: Alecto (Olive leaf, raspberry leaf, vetiver and cedarwood), Black Forest ( Thick, viscous pine with ambergris, black musk, juniper and cypress.), Black Opal, Black Phoenix.

... Haunted ... "elegant black" scents to my nose.

Second the Haunted suggestion! I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head (the dark ones I love are more purple than black -- and they would clash with the red lipstick! :lol: ). Haunted has an eerie, elegant suggestion to it that would be perfect.

I think Lilith is a great black dress+red lipstick scent. It's like a really heavy dark red, super super sexy.

Mme. Moriarty and Lust also evoke this for me, but Lilith has a very predominant wine note with a just a wee bit of attar of rose (the only rose that doesn't go wonky on me) to keep it from being too fruity and sweet.

I like The Obsidian Widow for a black dress & red lipstick combo. It doesn't give off a black feel, though, more of a dark red, sexy feel.

Intrigue smells dark and shadowy to me.

Whip makes me think of black and red because of the leather and rose combo.

Voodoo is also a sexy, mysterious, dark scent to me, and it's described as "a midnight scent."

My immediate thought was Black Dahlia. It's mainly heady Southern white florals, but white florals as smelled perfuming the air at midnight, just as something dangerous is about to go down, if that makes sense. Like, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil Just Evil.

My second thought, even before reading the other suggestions: Wanda. That is a little black dress and red lipstick in liquid form.

And Loviatar, which is black leather pants in liquid form.

Oh, and two very different (from each other and from the above scents) shades of black:

Schwarzer Mond. It's the opoponax. Thick, enveloping blackness.

Lune Noire. Kind of like being in a witch's garden on a moonless night, trying to figure out which flowers are aphrodisiacs and which are poisonous.

I agree with Dymphna, Schwarzer Mond is a good choice :)

Some others would be Aeronwen, Clemence, All Night Long, or Carceri d'Invenzione (which has always seemed like an expensive, dress-up for an evening event type of scent to me)

Black velvet + red lipstick = one of my favorite combinations. ;) (My other favorite being jeans + t-shirt, but never mind that for now.) I'd recommend:

Blood Kiss
(Bewitching Brews) - Lush, creamy vanilla and the honey of the sweetest kiss smeared with the vital throb of husky clove, swollen red cherries, but darkened with the vampiric sensuality of vetiver, soporific poppy and blood red wine, and a skin-light pulse of feral musk.

Whip
(Ars Amatoria) - Agony and ecstasy: black leather and damp red rose.

Or, if you're feeling a little edgier and don't mind a more unisex fragrance:

The Black Tower
(Bewitching Brews) - white sandalwood, ambergris, wet ozone, galbanum and leather with ebony, teak, burnt grasses, English ivy and a hint of red wine.

Nosferatu
(Diabolus) - desiccated herbs and gritty earth brought to life with a swell of robust and sanguineous red wines.

I don't like these next two (I don't care for anise and can't wear jasmine), but they both definitely have a black/red thing going on:

Kabuki
(Ars Amatoria) - A luxuriant, exotic blend of cherry, red musk, and star anise.

The Obsidian Widow
(Steamworks) - Pinot noir, dark myrrh, red sandalwood, black patchouli, night-blooming jasmine, and attar of rose.

And this one might be a bit too sweet, but it might be perfect (depending on whether you amp cherry or wood or neither):

The Red Queen
(Mad Tea Party) - Deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant.

Some others that I haven't tried personally but sound like they would fit the bill:

Black Dahlia
(Sin & Salvation) - Voluptuous magnolias strewn over orchid, star jasmine, black amber and smoky rose.

Black Rose
(Rappaccini's Garden) - Heavy, dark and floral: a blend of roses, with a touch of amber and musk.

Lilith
(Excolo) - Red wine, myrrh, black musk, and attar of rose.

ETA: And some from the Carnaval:

The Blood Garden
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Blood accord, bitter clove, English ivy, Tempranillo grape, red currant, oak, leather, blackberry leaf, and ginger lily.

The Chapel
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Black incense, bitter wine, brimstone, and blood.

Dionysia
(Carnaval Diabolique) - Wild plum, pomegranate, raspberry, Siamese benzoin, plum blossom, patchouli, frankincense, and mahogany.

Edited by Apple

My mind went straight to this scent for some reason:

Le Pere Fouettard: (this is dead sexy on me - licorice and leather!) whip leather, coal dust, gaufrette and black licorice.

Good Luck!

Schwarzer Mond. It's the opoponax. Thick, enveloping blackness.

I second third this one. It's black, alright. Pitch black to my nose. :)

Edited by Indig0

The only scent that's ever smelled BLACK to me was Lunar Eclipse. At first I didn't like it (too charred), but now that it's aged, it's divine.

eta: I've never tried it, but I've imagined the Smiling Spider would be black too.  I expected the Obsidian Widow to be, but it just smelled like tinkle.  :cry:

Edited by Hoyden