Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
angelicruin

Zombie Apocalypse

Swirls of red jelly and sugary white ooze.

Out of the bottle, this is warm, buttery brown-sugar caramel with a giant smear of red jam, and it stays that way on me the whole way through. Makes reviewing this one really easy. I didn't get any plastic or inner tube scent from this, it didn't go wrong on me the way Bloody Mary did, so I love it! It's delicious, like a hot, jelly-filled, iced donut. Mmm... Edited by Shollin

I love love love this! :wub2: Mmmmmm, zombie brainssssssss.

First sniff -- Sugar Cookie! Yes, I smell one of my all-time favorite LE's in there, without a
doubt. I love to layer Sugar Cookie with just about any other scent I have, but I'm hoarding
my last few drops. And now I find a new scent with that Sugar Cookie layer built right in!
Yahoooo!!

But wait, there's more. Red, fruity jam. And a hint of spices to sharpen it up. Like those jam
thumbprint cookies but with an added kick. Yum!

Dries and mellows to warm, fruity, not too sweet. *swoon*

Gotta quick-like-a-bunny go buy more of this one!

In Bottle - Smells just like a heavily strawberry jam'd doughnut. Very sweet!

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Strawberry syrup all over a stack of pancakes. It's very sweet and 'cute', I like it.

Dry, on Skin - Unfortunately, I get the inner tube/plastic undertone fairly quickly, and it doesn't much dissipate. I feel like a scented doll version of an IHOP server, which isn't all bad--but isn't exactly what I expected, haha. I'll enjoy the imp, and I'm so glad I got to try it, but I'm glad I didn't jump right into a bottle like I originally had planned to do.

this one's easy.

cherry danish all the way through but heavy on the cherry. it's definitely canned cherry filling too, not fresh cherries or cherry koolaide. it's cute. i may try to snag a decant.

In the decant, I’m getting donuts. On me, the donut turns to burnt plastic. Getting some of the red jelly through the plastic. On drydown, the plastic fades into the background and I’m getting the sugar, but this really ends up smelling just like donuts. Not for me, I’m afraid.

Cherry Pie with a sugary crust. And while I do like eating cherry pie, I don't like smelling like cherry pie. So this shall be swapped.

Wet: Butterscotch and strawberry jam. I want to eat myself.

Dry: The butterscoth scent morphs into just a light sugary scent. The strawberry becomes a bit plasticy. I'm going to let this one age a bit and see if the plastic goes away. Even with the plastic strawberry it's still delicious.

Also this oil doesn't ever really seem to sink into my skin. It's not a problem but just kind of strange.

I give this oil a B for braaaaaaains.

Edited by Leah703

I get strawberry or red berries very sweet but with an underlying grossness like something dark and rotting

This started out super candy-sweet on my skin, in an MB Bloody Mary sort of way. Of course they're totally different scents, but the blast of sweetness was the same. After a few minutes it went to smelling a lot like Sugar Skull (I'm not familiar with all of the incarnations of SS, since the one I did try was a glorious failure on me).

So... Yeah. Brown Sugar Land. And while I wish that I liked the maple-y, sticky scent of brown sugar, it frankly grosses me out. Hardcore. This phase gives me that squiqqy, yak-a-licious feeling in the back of my throat that usually only comes after eating way too much candy that really didn't taste good enough to warrant an all-out gorge-fest in the first place, and... I'm seriously toying with the idea of prematurely terminating this experiment.

After an hour or so, the maple thing eventually went away, and beneath it I started to notice a familiar doughnut-like waft. Yep... I could swear there's some Eat Me in here, too, which I can handle on it's own-- I actually like that scent a lot. But combined with the sickly maple smell, plus a heaping dose of burning plastic, I'm sad to say that Zombie Apocalypse just doesn't work for me. Notta-tall. :cry2:

Origin:

5mL from MidnightAeval. :)

Preconceived notions:

I already read the reviews here before buying a bottle of this, so I'm expecting maple doughnuts and jelly filling. Which doesn't really sound anything remotely like the kind of scent I normally love, but it's strangely enticing to me all the same.

First sniff:

Whoa! Are you sure this isn't Sugar Skull? Or maybe Sugar Skull's sibling? They're very similar in the bottle, although Sugar Skull is even sweeter than Zombie Apocalypse, which is saying something. Straight out of the bottle, this is straight up carmelized sugar with maybe a hint of some sort of red fruit in the background (could be strawberry or cherry...or even red plum, I guess). Luckily, I like Sugar Skull for reasons I still don't understand (because it's so completely backwards from everything I normally like), so I'm not put off by the intense sweetness here.

Wet on skin:

Still very burnt/caramelized sugar, but the fruit comes out more once it hits my skin. Maple doughnut (with glaze/frosting) and jelly filling is about right, I'd say. On me, Zombie Apocalypse is less intensely, cloyingly sweet than Sugar Skull is, but it's still a real sugar rush of a scent. This doesn't have quite as much "Wham!" throw as Sugar Skull does, either. It sticks closer to my skin instead of enveloping me in a cloud of caramelly sugar. At this stage, ZA reminds me vaguely of maple sugar candies, although the maple scent here is much less pronounced than it is in the candy.

Dry down:

This settles down into something that's, again, similar to Sugar Skull, but not quite the same. It still has more of a maple doughnut type scent than a true burnt sugar scent and the (jelly-like) fruit is definitely more prominent in this (and intensifies as the oil dries down). Sweet, definitely sweet. And rich. And sticky smelling. Yes, sticky. Zombie Apocalypse smells gooey. I don't know how that's possible, but it does. Sugar Skull smells crunchy to me, like caramelized sugar that's been left over the heat just a little too long. And Zombie Apocalypse smells sticky, like jelly doughnut filling, and maple glaze and liquid caramelized sugar, all rolled into one.

The bottom line:

I wasn't sure the first time I wore this whether I liked it or not. It's one of those scents that I really needed to think about and try more than once before I could decide whether it was interesting and nice enough but not something I'd wear or if it was one of those rare gourmand scents that manage to find a loophole in my "no foody scents" rule. There doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to which foody scents work on/for me and which don't, so it's a gamble every time I get brave enough to try a few foody scent (or get one sent my way as lagniappe). Some make me queasy (almost always because they're super rich, sweet and cloying; Hellcat for example) and most make me think "that smells exactly like brownies" in amazement, but don't appeal to me on any level as a scent I'd want to smell like (like Lump of Coal). But every now and then one makes me want to eat my arm. The cannibalism-inducing ones are the keepers.

So in the end, while Zombie Apocalypse definitely isn't an everyday scent, it's still a keeper, because it does tempt me to take a little nibble of those sweet-smelling wrists. :laugh:

I can feel my teeth decaying already... Sugar, rum, butterscotch. It takes a while, but the red jelly does show up — just a little bit fruity, cherry/strawberry wafting over it all.

In the Vial: Oh my, this is almost exactly what I was hoping for: powdered jelly donuts. It's a little darker, though, like... the donuts were baked a little too long and are crispy rather than soft. It's ever so slightly spicy. I can kind of get the butterscotch smell that others mention. And I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds this a little boozy.

Wet: Wow! That red jelly really pops on my skin, going bright and tart for a few seconds before warming up. It stays really red and fruity, but gets sweeter and spicier (definitely cinnamon) on the drydown. The sugar is definitely a slightly burnt sugar rather than powdered sugar.

Dry: Mmmmm. MMMMM. Smells the same, but... better blended, if that makes sense. All of the notes have kind of mixed together to become one delicious smell instead of several individual delicious smells.

An Hour Later: I wasn't sure what flavor of red jelly this was at first. Everyone else is saying strawberry, but it's cherry to me. It's much more a cherry danish now than jelly donuts, but it's still yummy. The cherry is sweet yet tart, the sugar smells less burnt, and it has an overall feeling of gooey creaminess.

Overall: If this is what brains taste like to zombies, sign me up to be zombified. I love this and am so glad to have found a bottle of it!

ETA: Several hours later, it's a lot like Gingerbread Poppet!

Edited by imaginepageant

To me this smells like burnt sugar- very sad because I wanted to love it so much! Great label though- glad I found an empty bottle :)

Sugary jelly! Depending on where and what time of the month I wear this, it's either a delicious red jam or a plastic disaster. I keep testing this because I so desperately want it to be a success, even if I can only wear it on rare occasions. The label art is fantastic, though, and perfect for display. I'm so glad I got to try this, even if I don't end up keeping my bottle.

I get powdered sugar with some version of a cake smell lurking around underneath. A lot of bpal cookie, pastry, cheesecake, pudding, and gourmand notes inevitably translate as a strange "cake" smell on my skin. It's a little stuffy and almost borders on something that could be butter on the verge of sourness. Depending on the fragrance, the degrees of sourness varies and a lot of times become outright rancid on me. Luckily this stays firmly in dry, sugary cake territory. Gourmand but not scarily so (which works because I'm not super crazy about gourmand scents) and with a strong sweet tone. There's a fruitiness that never becomes distinctly strawberry but it reminds me of a not-made-from-nature juicebox that got left out in the sun to warm up.

So many of my scents I have routines for and find myself wearing for a certain reason... when I'm sick, when I'm with a certain friends, when I'm at the gym, when I'm with my boyfriend, when I'm alone and know I can't offend anyone, and for the many different games I'm addicted to. I have a love of zombie movies and books but I had to have this scent for one purpose only: my Call of Duty Black Ops Zombies obsession. Whenever I jump on xbox to game Black Ops I wear this. This scent is so funny I just needed to pair it with something ridiculously fun like that. I smile everytime I see the label and think of gloppy jelly donuts.

Bottle: Yummy berries! Super sweet, like sticking your hands in a jar of jam and licking your fingers.

Wet: There is another scent that is pushing through the berries. I think it is supposed to be cakey, like a jellyroll.

Dry: Plastic and burnt berry cake crust. My skin chem loves to play tricks on me and start off delicious while slowly creeping into yuck.

I will say I tracked this bottle down because of Walking Dead, lol

On to the review...

In the bottle it's a light strawberry/grape jam. On the skin the jam jumps out and gets you kinda like a zombie! It's sweet, tart, and strong. But after about a half hour this strange ozone icky scent comes around. Not sure what it is but it's runing my zombie apocalypse! It has made things less fun and a little headache inducing. But that initials scent was awesome. Luckily this faded fast and the throw with it so no major headaches. I love the bottle art so much but this isn't a love for me. Glad I got to try it though since it seems very popular! ;)

The red jelly and sugary white ooze remind me of the inside of a cherry cordial, only, it's not just cherry here. I feel like there's a (plastic-y, on me -- it smells delicious in the vial) strawberry in the jelly and that the jelly is a mix of red fruits. I'm not getting the brown sugar or caramel vibes that some other reviewers have mentioned, nor do I get doughnuts.

The cordial-y plastic is just too much for me, but I'm glad I got a chance to try this one.

Wet: You have a bowl of strawberry and raspberry jam. You pour in some sugar, but get distracted and the whole bag goes in. Whoops!

Dry: Strawberry pie with a caramelized sugar crust.

This one is a lot of fun, but ultimately way too sweet for me. Also worth noting, this is not plasticky on my skin.