Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
angelicruin

Alien Invasion

Slick, spiced space fruits and residual tentacle goo.

In the bottle : Very citrus-y. The only scent I can specifically identify is grapefruit/yuzu. And I love grapefruit and yuzu, so I'm excited.

Wet: Spicy grapefruit. There is definitely a spiced note that is coming through on my skin that isn't present in the bottle.

Dry Down: This is still a clean, bright citrus smell. I can smell something floral or musky that is trying to come through in the background as others have noted, but my body chemistry amps the bright citrus notes like crazy, so I still smell grapefruit, but with the edge. It does seem to fade quickly though - this is one that would need a mid-day reapplication.

15 minutes later: BLECH! I smell the tentacle goo now, and I do not like it.

Verdict: Needs more trials, might go to the swap bag. Edited by Shollin

Alien Invasion

In the imp: turns out that space fruit and tentacle goo smells like grapefruit.

Wet on skin: bitter grapefruit. I now think there’s yuzu in here too.

Dry on skin: this is the grapefruitiest BPAL ever! Probably my holy grail for grapefruit, as it smells strongly of this citrus fruit, tart and zingy, bitter without being unpleasant, and juicy. I think its scent is enhanced by the turbo-charged grapefruit scent that is yuzu, as well as something that may be bergamot. Whatever is in here, I can be sure that the space fruit is citrus, though I think there may be some starfruit too, which would be fitting. As for the residual goo? I can’t smell anything gooey but I do smell a soft sweetness, a touch of crisp white tea, something a little floral that could be neroli, as well as some white amber and green musk similar to 51.

After a while: the grapefruit gradually mellows and the scent turns even lovelier! It smells very similar to 51 at this point, that same citrus-fruity-white amber and musk with a tiny hint of ozone that actually works, a tiny bit of sweet metal as well. It smells luminescent and bright, a soft yet zingy perfumed white amber and musk scent with that hint of yuzu lingering.

Verdict: I’m not usually a fan of yuzu, and I smell it here, but I adore this! It’s like 51 on steroids. Forget speculations and conspiracies about maybe being aliens in the area, this is a full on, flying saucer hovering overhead, pulling you up with an anti-gravity beam, and before you even think of calling Mulder and Scully they’re sticking probes in every orifice! And who could have thought it could smell so good! Turns out the alien fruit smells very similar to earth’s grapefruit and various other citruses. Indeed I’m sure this is the most grapefruity BPAL I’ve come across. But this is more than citrus, as there seems to be a grounding yet ethereal, luminous base of clean green musk, neroli/orange blossom and white amber, maybe some davana, very similar to Pollution and 51. This ensures that, unlike most citrus scents, the scent lasts for ages on me. I think this is one of my favourite grapefruit scents and one of my favourite of the DD Blockbusters series.

Emoticon rating: :wub:

Is it a keeper? Definitely.

If you like this, try: 51, Pollution, Night Gaunt, Aizen Myoo, Schrodinger’s Cat

Definitely very fruity...it doesn't *quite* speak grapefruit to me...there's a spicy sort of side to it, like ginger, and a definite ultra-sweet syrupy gooeyness to it, too. It's a weird scent. :) It's also rather 'young' smelling, like the sort of perfume that would permeate some kind of glittery lip gloss geared toward teens. But, it was appropriate that this was released as part of a summer blockbuster series, because its light, sweet absurdity is perfect for hot, bright, sunny weather...or evoking that sort of atmosphere, should one need it.

Lime jello with some kind of weird spice in it!

That's exactly what I thought of when I opened the bottle.

It smells even more limey on my skin and then fades to a lovely spicy/light citrus aroma that is hard to describe. I have to agree with Lamia. To me, there was no I Married a Vampire from Planet X (in my top 10 as well :D)in this scent, but it's in a category all it's own. It's a new fave.

Grapefruit! I hate the taste but love the scent. This blend is super duper Captain Grapefruit.

On drydown, the captain continues to steer the ship and his 1st mate Sgt. Spice hovers nearby. They're very close, those two.

I really like this blend.

Sniffie. Getting a bit of the fruit, but there is something sharp in this blend, and also something that goes plastic on my skin. The plastic phase passes and I end up with metallic fruit. Interesting, but not bottle-worthy.

Man, my review backlog is so intense. :lol: Almost caught up!

So, I'll just come out and say it: This is one of the greatest BPALs. :wub2: I have to hide this one from my roommate who thinks most of my perfume stinks. This is the citrus sister of 51 (another favorite) with some slippery, slimy, FUN goo. Beth is a master in general, but she has really won me over with all of her alien/conspiracy blends. These aliens can abduct me onto their wonderful smelling spaceships anytime.

My bottle of Alien Invasion is about a year and a half old and the oil is just about perfect. Bright yellow-green citrus that shimmers with sweetness. This oil definitely fills my love and need for a citrus scent. :wub2:

Got a very full bottle in a swap. LOVE the label art.

In bottle: Citrus with a hint of spice. Not what I was expecting, but I like it! Pretty sure there must be yuzu in here, because at my first sniff I said hello Aizen-Myoo! Since I love AM, this is a good thing. :D There might be some star fruit and other citrusy goodness in here as well.

On wet: Yep, smells uber-grapefruity like yuzu does on me. I am not sure what the spice is, as one sniff says ginger and the next clove. Whatever it is, it blends very well with the citrus.

Drydown: This gets a bit more complex as it dries, with just a hint of white floral making itself known. The fruit has mellowed and the spice has come forward just a bit, but not to the point where it overwhelms.

Conclusion: Zingy, bright and pretty! I'm sure I'll reach for this one as the weather warms up.

Citrus, citrus, CITRUS. It does smell gooey, if that makes sense..

Very much a gooey grapefruit jelly. It's nice, and would be very refreshing in the summer heat.

Alien Invasion smells like yuzu and lime and musky spice. It's green and somehow syrupy--must be the goo. ;)

In the Vial: Oh, yum! Fresh, watery, sweet fruits. I'm getting melon, grapefruit, and maybe somethink pink and tropical, like papaya. And a bit of ginger. And am I crazy or do I smell cucumber, too?

Wet: Grapefruit comes roaring out and making this very tart and citrusy. But, on the drydown, the other fruits poke their heads back in, bringing some of the sweetness with them. And the ginger is getting stronger, too.

Dry: The notes have somewhat balanced out, bringing it closer to what it was in the bottle, but warmer and spicier. It's also picking up a decidedly green smell, perhaps from the maybe-cucumber or the "tentacle goo."

An Hour Later: It's gotten pretty faint. It's lost almost all of the sweetness, and smells somewhat soapy now. And inexplicably, it's edging towards that rancid butter smell that my skin likes to make of so many blends! I don't get it!

Overall: I really, really liked this for awhile, and it's rare for me to like clean, fresh scents, so that's saying a lot. I'm very disappointed that it went bad on me. I'll be testing this again in other areas to see if I can find a way to make it work.

Sugared screaming yuzu/grapefruit! If there's lime in here, could've fooled me because lime turns to dish soap on me and this does not AT ALL. It's amazingly refreshing and tart with some sweetness that smells like straight up sugar to me vs. syrup. I'm not noticing any spice, sadly, but I still like the super-clean freshness of this blend. It's one I'll probably share with my daughter :wub2:

In bottle: It’s fruit dominant with a pleasantly green abstract touch that works well as goo. The goo is less shrill here than say ectoplasm in the Paranorman series. I’m guess that grapefruit or a near relative is strongest among the fruit with maybe berries, starfruit, and/or and lime rounding it out. I say starfruit, but it could easily be a different exotic fruit I have little or no experience with. I ate a lot of starfruit in college, but that was the mid-90’s and I can’t swear to a flavour tasted so long ago. I’m liking iot so far, but worried about how well the citrus will play with my skin. Wet: Still Grapefruit dominant, with the green goo stronger on the skin. The fruit is less nuanced and now third strongest and the blend is now mildly spicy. It’s still quite pleasant. Dry: Soft, but lovely fruit with the e3xotic stronger than the maybe berries. I like it.

This makes me laugh. The label's funny, the name's funny, and it smells like grapefruit jello shaped into a jiggly 1950's jello mold. It's sweet and mild and surprisingly fresh given the candy vibe. I get a bit of a green melon scent in there somewhere too. It dries down a little sweeter than it starts out since a lot of the bright citrus fades away fairly quickly. It becomes a meek fruit syrup after a couple hours and disappears entirely after about three hours. So it's one I have to slather and apply often.

Whenever I wear it I think of the movie "Paul" with Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, one of my favorites. So it's happy associations all around.

My first impression of this is a slightly bland/conventional but sweet, masculine fragrance,
On my skin, it's less sharp and there's a lot of tanginess from the grapefruit, yum!
There's still something very industrial, or artificial in there (tentacle goo?) which reminds me a crazy lot of a shower gel I got once and up until now I've never smelled anything like it. If I ever find this somewhere I might jump on it, but otherwise I'm not sure if this is a must-have for me.

Glad I got to try a decant of this! ^^

Hm, I get the dark, spiced fruit note which I usually don't like, but its awash in citrus which lends it this sour candies quality that I am digging. It makes dark fruits more summer friendly!