Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Scurvy v1 - This is the smell of a margarita on the rocks without tequila. It's full of lime, has a twist of orange, and has a strong layer of salt. It smells awesome on me, but fades from my skin fairly quickly. I wore some in a scent locket all day yesterday, and kept catching the most amazing wafts of lovely, bright scent. It's a fantastic summer blend. Edited by edenssixthday

This blend stayed the same for me from the bottle to the skin. It smelled almost exactly like lime Skittles. Not bad, but definitely not my kind of scent.

-ETA- Years later this still smells like lime Skittles! Tasty, but not for me!

Edited by Catseyes

To me, it smells like Skittles! Like a lemon/lime Skittle. It's a little too candy-like for my taste as a perfume. I would have preferred something a little more realistic.

I am gonna have to go with GypsyRoseRed on this one--key lime pie. Lime with a creamy undercurrent and just a tad sweet. Perfect refreshing summer scent and unlike any other BPAL I have tried.

Sugared limes, very similar to key lime pie. I agree with persephone that this is the perfect summertime scent. :thumbsup:

I got an imp of Scurvy to sniff and Yay!!! I love it even though it did smell very candy-like. When I opened it, everyone in my house asked if I had jellybeans. I love the lime scent but it doesn't last long on my skin.

Edited by syrenemyst

just like what everyone else has said...

lemon lime skittles, key lime pie (minus the crust), lemon meringue, lemon or lime jelly bellys. It's all of that!!

It makes my mouth water sniffin on it!!! :yum:

In the Bottle: Lime sugar, like you could drink the bottle :yum:

Wet: Lime juice and rind. This is really really good.

Drydown: The lime evaporates, and it goes vaguely sweet and foody. Cake? Not very long lasting, as others have noted, but would probably do really well in a locket ;)

My boyfriend smelled this and declared that it smelled exactly like the lime slushies he used to get as a kid. I'd also go with it smelling like limeade or lime popsicles. But yeah, lime and sugar. Fortunately, I like lime and sugar.

These reviews mystify me, truly. Either my bottle or my skin is broken or I'm on crack, cause my experience with this scent is very different, and I paid a lot of my bottle, too. :(

Sniffed: Lime! Very tart but also a bit candy-sweet - I can totally see the lime skittles thing. I also get a slightly darker, bitter edge - maybe just really realistic lime zest and pith, or else something more mentholic/sharp/masculine. It reminds me of Mr. Nancy, too.

Wet: Harsher, more medicinal - that lime skittles but with what I'm pretty sure is bay leaf on top of it. It's bitter and sharp and herbal and pretty masculine - right now it's overpowering the lime. I also get vanilla note (really!) which must contribute the sweet/candied effect.

Dry: BAYYYYYY. Like sucking on a fresh bay leaf, or a soaked dried one. A hint of lime & vanilla below, but it's 80% bay, and thus very much a manly scent to my nose.

Later: Lime is fading more. It's about 85% bay. 10% vanilla, and 5% lime at this point. Also, while this had pretty strong throw at first, it's faded quite a bit in less than half an hour.

Summary: After 45 minutes, almost nothing remains despite heavy slathering. A faint whisper of sweet-tart bay leaf, perhaps.

:cry2:

Edited by fairnymph

I was so excited to get my bottle, but it didn't quite go as I wanted ;;_;;

In the bottle: The lovely Key Lime Pie scent to Lime Starbursts everyone has been talking about.

Wet: OMG Sandalwood and something wood combined with fresh lime. o_O It smells like actual lime zest not sugared or sweetened or creamy underneath the sandalwood. It does make me think British sailors on a ship eating limes to try to stave off scurvy though. But I don't like sandalwood at all.

After about 10-15 minutes the sandalwood and woodiness disappears and the scent goes back to being a very sweet lime again, more like it first smelled.

Dry: It goes back down to the key lime pie scent and the sandalwood is gone.

I think it didn't last well, I got maybe 2-3 hours of scent from it, but when I was actually getting the key lime pie of it I loved it. I am not sure how I feel about my bottle though because of the sandalwood.

A thousand thanks to scrappy for sending me a bit of this to test!

In the vial, it's lime Kool-Aid powder; on, it sweetens and softens, but without losing a sharp citrus edge. There's definitely a lot of lime rind in there with the sweetness, and there's quite a bit of salt, too! It's giving me a margarita vibe - but without booze. (I'm definitely with edenssixthday on that.) Maybe a tiny hint of booze. Sweet salty limes.

The salt is really dominant for a minute a few minutes after application, but it chills out and lets the limes back up from where it had them pinned to the deck. Though I should have expected this from the previous reviews, Scurvy quickly grows surprisingly faint. And I love it. I swear it almost dries down with a sparkle, like the way Zotz candy feels. It's not sophisticated and it's not perfect, but it makes me giggle and grin and I want to pour it on my arm so it can't fade so fast! :D

In the bottle: Very strong lime alcohol. Uncut and unappealing.

But.

Sweet, creamy lime pie on my skin. Lickable. Enticing.

I want to ingest my arm.

Perfect for summer.

I love this.

Straight up lime juice with a teensy bit of sugar in. It's so sour to my nose it made my lips pucker! Not unappealing but not something I'd likely wear, either.

Wow. On me this had lime with a little sugar. As it dries, I get a hint of bay. And oddly enough, this just ends up smelling like some sort of plastic doll.

FEH.

I finally got Scurvy!! :joy:

I was worried this would smell like either fake lime-candy, sharp sour lime, alcoholic lime.. or a combination of the three. But nope - thankfully my skin is treating this with some respect and giving me a lovely soft and natural lime.. exactly like a fresh lime when you first cut through it. After it's been on my skin for a little while, the initial blast of lime softens up and goes a little creamy, slightly waxy and almost musky - perhaps it is sandalwood as others have mentioned.. it's hard to say, but there's definitely something more grounded that's lurking behind the lime.

With summer coming up in this part of the world, I know I'm going to be wearing this a lot. I may need to hunt down a second bottle - I think I'll go through this fairly quickly.. it doesn't stay on my skin very long, as others have mentioned.

Huge hugs go to parrot_suspect who used her stealth ninja skills to hunt down this bottle for me :wub:

Inside the bottle, sharp, fresh limes.

On my skin, sugared lime and I'll agree with the sandalwood references above.

Sadly, it does fade pretty fast, but smells oh-so-amazing. :thud:

Limeylime, with a side of sugared lime :lol:

I have a very specific memory of this smell - it's almost a chewy, candy-like smell, and I keep thinking I'm getting the barest touch of melon or cantaloupe in the background... I think it's reminding me of the Asian gummi candies we used to buy in Chicago... The tartness is holding really well, and I can see where some folks are getting the suggestion of bay rum, but I don't think it's a significant note - I'm not getting that foppish manfume feel at all.

Glad I got to try it, but really, it just makes me want gummis :lol:

Ow, I wanted this one so badly after reading some of the reviews, and finally traded off for half an imp.

In the imp: beautiful bright limes with what could be a little vanilla sugar in the background, very faint. *swoon* LOVE!

Wet: Wonderful! sweetened limes, but still sharp and citrusy and acidic with that lingering warmness somewhere in the background.

Dry: OMGWTF HAPPENED??!!?! No limes, no citrus, what is this smell? it's horrible! It's giving me a headache, it's powdery and cloyingly sweet and *weeps* dammit!

In decant: very sharp citrus

Wet: I’m getting citrus and I think, cedar? Sandalwood? There a wood in here, and I’m reacting to it.

Allergic, had to wash off.

Scurvy starts off as a sharp lime on me, but quickly dries down to a sweet, candy-like lime with a creamy, slightly powdery backdrop (perhaps the sandalwood that others have mentioned). I like this well enough, but it only lasts about 15 minutes on my skin. I'll stick with Dark Chocolate and Key Lime Truffle for a lime scent.

On me, this smells identical to Orange Phoenix -- sort of like one of those chalky orange candy lollipops I had when I was a kid. Yum! :)

In bottle: Lemon-Lime Skittles. It truly is. Sweet and sharp. Underneath is something creamy, vanilla-like, and then a very faint, almost-not-there scent of pale wood. Pine, maybe.

Wet on my skin: I get the faintest trace of lime zest, and then a blast of lemon-lime juice with a definite creamy, vanilla note anchoring it. It must be vanilla bean, because there's a hint of plastic to it that I only get when I try a scent that contains vanilla bean. It's sort of like a plastic, lime Necco Wafer. <_<

30 minute dry down: Mainly, I get that vanilla bean plastic thing. It's incredibly disappointing. There is a hint of like... powdered lime. Maybe lime flavored Kool-Aid, but mostly it's just plastic and artificial vanilla. This will be used in a scent locket because I did love it in the bottle, but on the skin it's just not my thing. :(