Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the bottle: Buttercream and light citrus

On my arm: Creamy with a wave of spice, anise perhaps and orange underneath

A really gorgeous scent with both light and dark aspects. What starts off as a creamy foody scent, becomes much more complex and unique. The anise and citrus form the perfect base for a scent unlike any other BPAL I've tried.

Sniffing this from the bottle, I get a lot of the same notes the reviewer above me did-this is a rich cakey scent to me, with a bit of citrus and spices. Kind of reminds me of a deeper, richer Huesos De Santos, with the orange and anise.

Ok, I sniffed it side by side Huesos, and they are definitely similar, but definitely not the same. Huesos is more zingy orange, and PX117 is more rich cake and spices. Delicious!

PX117 - This is a gorgeous cake scent. I agree with the previous reviewer -- when I first sniffed it, my first thought is that it's similar to Huesos de Santos, which I adore. On my skin, it starts out as a heavy white-cake scent with a hint of orange. As it warms up on my skin, the anise starts to come out, and also a sweet buttercream note. Unfortunately, as with a lot of the bakery-foody blends, this one starts to take on a musty/dusty quality before it even fully dries down. It'll make a great scent locket scent, though! I think this one is going to be a hit among the foody-lovers.

Another here who detects a similarity to Huesos de Santos, another blend I love. Cake note here without a doubt! And something that to my nose, is a bit orangey (hence the others' references to citrus). While wet, PX117 seems like a mix of Huesos + Velvet Unicorn. In the dry-down though, it differs; the sugaryness fades away and I'm left with marshmallow on my skin. I actually really like it in all its stages, though prefer the scent while wet. Still, am so so glad I got this blend. :D I'm actually surprised this hasn't gotten more rave reviews, 'cause I know that this also sold out early on. :P

Edited by devilot

In the Bottle: Foody! Smells like cookies :yum:

Wet: Same, but with anise, and they smell like they should have been taken out a few minutes sooner.

Drydown: Still cookies. This stays very true. I had my son smell it & he said little kids would be chewing my arm off :lol:

I'm having a really hard time with this one. Again, I tried it on at a MnS at Schackjj's place and its night and day from bottle to skin. In the bottle, its totally foody... warm cookies, probably of the chocolate chip variety as there's definitely chocolate in there

The instant it touches my skin all food disappears and it turns to Pledge Furniture Polish (if pledge were orange and not lemon)

Then... it becomes a light orange floral (not a strong floral as I didn't run to wash it off... and I HATE florals)

It was pretty but not my thing...

Thanks to the forum member who let me try this out (you know who you are :hug: )

On me this smells like buttered toast with marmalade. :yum: I'm loving it!

Edited by beachbabealways

Inside the bottle, it's a creamy orange cake scent.

On my skin, buttery orange cake with cream cheese frosting. Or at least that is the mouth-watering image stuck in my head. :yum:

Very foody, very yummy. Medium throw and lasts a few hours on my skin.

I tried this on one arm and Huesos on the other, and I swear they are nearly identical on my skin.

Sniffed: Light yellow oil. Rich, creamy vanilla cake with a slightly buttery edge, sweet orange and lemon - kind of reminds me of Meyer lemon, or marmelade, or candied peel, or all of those. Foody!

Wet: Tarter, more lemon and less orange, with a hint of Pledge - the citrus is a little harsh now. Less creamy and more buttery; this is richer and heavier although it's less sweet. I don't get any spice, but it does remind me a bit of Huesos de Santo now.

Dry: Not much change - the butter/lemon notes are merging more, clashing less, maybe. Very slow to dry.

Later: Creamy lemon-vanilla frosting. This dries down quite beautifully, with almost a musky edge. I never got any spice.

Yum! This is indeed lemon vanilla frosting. Its got the same cake/frosting vibe as Closet, but this one is lemon and vanilla as opposed to strawberries and red velvet.

This kind of stuff tends not to work on me, so I'm pretty pleased that this one did! :D

Hmmm.. I have weird skin.. on me, this is like Monsterbait Underbed had a secret tryst with Orange, made little babies and decided to call them PX117.

Spicey orange yumminess!

This is kind of delicious smelling. It's a delicious cake with some yummy spices. aaaaaaand... orange zest. which makes it kind of icky. and my weird skin chemistry does nothing to improve this.

This is Huesos de Santos on me with maybe 50% less "cake" note to it, or Monsterbait: Closet with orange instead of blackberry. It's mostly sweet, almost candy-sweet orange (juice?) with a bit of vanilla-like cake in the background. No spice on me. It's nearly identical to Huesos de Santos on me, too, as I never got much anise out of that one, sadly.

Edited by Ondine

Never smelled Huesos de Santos...but if it's anything like PX117, I'm ISO. :)

This starts out very buttery on me (sadly, I amp the butter note) and then it reminds me of my beloved CD023...only instead of lemon cake, it's orange. The anise and other spices try to emerge but the orange is the Leader of the Pack (vroom, vroom! I snorted my entire wrist and there was nothing I could do about it...).

I like it lots. Fortunately, I like CD023 better. I think.

This is very yummy.

After 14 hours of continuous yumminess, I like this as much as CDO23. That's a high compliment!

Edited by tarotgirl

I don't have much to add about this scent. It's buttery orange cake on me and dries down with a little bit of spice. It smells delicious and, as has already been said, reminds me of Huesos de Santos. After an hour on my skin, the scent has faded a lot and sort of smells like vanilla frosting and a bit of spice. I like it well enough, but I have other citrus-cake blends, so I don't need to try to find a bottle o' this one.

Buttery orange cake, but I'm not detecting any spice. I agree with Ondine in that it smells like Monsterbait Closet with orange instead of blackberry.

It smells cakey and a bit perfumey in the imp, but on it smells like fruit and cake! yum!! It's not as heavy as the Monsterbaits are to me.

Foody but also an almost-bugspray citrus note. Very weird. Drying to orangey cake, maybe some anise as other reviews mention. A touch of bitterness, anyway. Also got a bit boozy.

Second try: orangey cake off the bat, dried to a perfumey sharpness. Two strikes is plenty; it's kind of making me feel ill.

Oh, how lovely! It reminds me of Huesos de Santo. Lighter and less foody with a bit more citrus. Like the batch of cookies that got too much orange extract. :wub:

Orange. A nice, light orange that isn't bitter but is very nice and juicy smelling. Rich frosting. After initial application though, the citrus turns a bit on me, like most do and smells a bit sour.

Wet, PX117 makes me think of fruity cereal--like Trix, maybe. A mishmash of fruitiness and that grainy, cereal smell. As it dries, it goes sort of honey-cake-fruity and all I can think to compare it to is Kitty. Very sweet and warm. Drier, it's more citrussy. I like the comparison to lemon frosting. In spite of bordering on cloying while wet, this turns out delightfully light and pleasant.

Origin:

Tester from a generous seller. :wub2:

Preconceived notions:

I'm not sure how I feel about PX117 going into this, although I want to try it for some inexplicable reason. I really don't like citrus scents (I do like orange in small doses in combination with black tea, resins and/or cinnamon, but that's about the limit of my tolerance for it) and I despise anise. But there's something about this that kind of makes me want to try it.

This could be one of those scents that my subconscious seems to know will work in spite of the notes being made of fail. I've learned to trust those instincts, so I'm cautiously optimistic here.

First sniff:

Orange. Orange cake to be precise. Sort of like poundcake and sort of like the orange cake that my mom used to make all the time. There's a sugary sweetness to it, too, like vanilla frosting. It's very sweet and foody in the bottle and makes me think of an orange version of P013 (which I really like in spite of the citrus aversion I mentioned before). Like P013, it smells like it would be right at home with the original Monster Bait series.

Wet on skin:

Hmm, this isn't heading in a good direction. The sweetness turns cloying when it hits my skin. It's got a strong scent, too. I only dabbed a little bit on and it smells like I put on a good-sized smear. The scent is very similar to the one in the bottle. It's just that it's gone significantly sweeter and more intense.

Dry down:

That's better. PX117 calms down quite a bit as it dries. Some of the sweetness from the vanilla frosting (or whatever it is that smells like it) disappears, and the final scent is like a moist orange poundcake with a tiny touch of orange creamsicle. It's sweet and summery and still quite foody. This still makes me think of both P013 (with orange instead of lemon) and the original Monster Bait scents. Thankfully, I don't get any of the anise that some people have mentioned. Just moist orange cake with a touch of sweet icing.

The bottom line:

Just like P013, this isn't the sort of scent that I normally wear, but I actually like it. It's not something I would wear every day, but it's definitely staying in my collection. :D

From wet to drydown this smells like Orange spice poundcake with hints of licorice. :yum: I would eat it Erego I could never wear it. :yum: