Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lauramw71

Anything laundryish?

Hi there! I'm totally new to BPAL but ohmigosh.. I have been ADDICTED to this site!!!! This could be a problem when ordering time comes across!! My taste tends to go towards more "clean" scents. I've browsed the forums and think I have decided on trying Embalming Fluid, and Dirty. Right now I wear Philosophy Amazing Grace and believe i read Veil smells similar? So I might have to give that one a go. I just don't like anything that smells like perfume. Nothing floral, foody, or fruity...

I would really like something to scent my laundry with. I love nothing better than to get the clothes out of the dryer and smell mmmmm downy. Are there any downyish scents that I could look at? I am also looking at something to make like a room freshner. I read Mad Hatter is good for this? Any other suggestions on how to make my house smell fantastic? My husband is a smoker (yes, in the house, but in his "mancave" but that smell just permeates the whole dang house) so something that would kill that nasty smell would be FABULOUS!!! For my husband I was thinking of trying Death Adder (he's a Burberry fan) and Vicomte de Valmont. (I like him to smell clean and manly... I would use his deodorant as cologne if that would work LOL)

Oh, one more thing (geez I know.. i'm a newbie and asking alot), I have 3 boys who sometimes fight sleep.. what would be a good scent to make into a linen spray for their pillows and sheets?

My husband is sooo tired of me telling him different scents already and i've only found this site 2 days ago. But I'm determined I WILL find something he ADORES and will beg me to get more... heehee

Any suggestions would be FANTASTIC as I'm compiling my ugh, it's getting long, list of imps to order. :)

My boyfriend's favorite scent for him is Fenris Wolf, he's not a perfume kind of guy either but he loves this stuff. Death Adder is really sweet, not sure if your husband is into that. Other good guy scents the man seems to like are De Sade and Iago. He also loves Luperci, Brom Bones and German Expressionist Horror, but those are LE.

For falling asleep, TKO is supposed to be really really good but I haven't tried it yet. There's also the Somnium line which can be found here: Sleep Blends

Sorry I can't help with the laundryish recommendations, it's not really my bag but I heard Dirty is supposed to be good for that kind of thing. Though you might like aquatics like Sea of Glass and Tempest.

Hi there! I'm totally new to BPAL but ohmigosh.. I have been ADDICTED to this site!!!! This could be a problem when ordering time comes across!! My taste tends to go towards more "clean" scents. I've browsed the forums and think I have decided on trying Embalming Fluid, and Dirty. Right now I wear Philosophy Amazing Grace and believe i read Veil smells similar? So I might have to give that one a go. I just don't like anything that smells like perfume. Nothing floral, foody, or fruity...

I would really like something to scent my laundry with. I love nothing better than to get the clothes out of the dryer and smell mmmmm downy. Are there any downyish scents that I could look at? I am also looking at something to make like a room freshner. I read Mad Hatter is good for this? Any other suggestions on how to make my house smell fantastic? My husband is a smoker (yes, in the house, but in his "mancave" but that smell just permeates the whole dang house) so something that would kill that nasty smell would be FABULOUS!!! For my husband I was thinking of trying Death Adder (he's a Burberry fan) and Vicomte de Valmont. (I like him to smell clean and manly... I would use his deodorant as cologne if that would work LOL)

Oh, one more thing (geez I know.. i'm a newbie and asking alot), I have 3 boys who sometimes fight sleep.. what would be a good scent to make into a linen spray for their pillows and sheets?

My husband is sooo tired of me telling him different scents already and i've only found this site 2 days ago. But I'm determined I WILL find something he ADORES and will beg me to get more... heehee

Any suggestions would be FANTASTIC as I'm compiling my ugh, it's getting long, list of imps to order. :)

I think some clean man type smells which are yummy are villian and cthulhu I like them a lot on my fella! I like sailors den and velvet cthulhu on me foe female clean smells.

Sailors den also makes a nice room spray I like door mouse as a room spray but that might be too floral I think its smells like outside lol :)

Edited to say deathadder I like for me rather than him :D

Edited by violetgrimm4

Great ideas! Thanks so much! I think I might cross Death Adder off from the suggestions. I think I might replace that with Villian! I'm tellin ya.. I'm gunna make him a believer in this stuff REAL quick.. and I haven't even gotten anything from here yet! HAHA

If you want something a bit lineny but more complex than Dirty you could try:

White Rabbit Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen

It's sort of a clean, fresh, lemon-y linen scent. Interesting without being cloying or overbearing.

Other suggestions:

Manhattan sheer amber, black leather, white mint, lemon peel, white tea, grapefruit, kush, teakwood and orchid.

Clean and sheer with a bit of edge from the leather.

Cathode Ambergris, Spanish Moss, oakmoss and three electric mints.

A bit dirtier than the other two from the mosses but the mints give it a clean, sharp edge.

Torture Queen White amber, vanilla musk, white tea, ambergris, gardenia, and chrome.

She's Carnaval Diabolique so if you're buying straight from the lab you're committing to a full bottle. It's a light, clean, almost CK One-ish scent.

Galvanic Goggles Metallic notes with Indian musk, tobacco flower, and African balsam.

This might work for you or the mister. Clean and sharp with a bit of fuzzy softness from the musk and tobacco.

If you're willing to hunt down a limited edition I would recommend Pirate Moon Red musk, ambergris, coconut palm, red sandalwood, balsam, date, warm leather, tobacco, ebony, lingum vitae wood, pandanus grass, an' a touch o' lime.

It's sort of a salty, sea air linen shirt scented with your honey's cologne. It's what I imagine Ernest Hemingway would smell like.

For your husband:

Bloodlust Dragon's blood essence, heavy red musk, Indonesian patchouli and swarthy vetiver with a drop of cinnamon.

It has the heft and complexity of Burberry without the sweetness of Death Adder.

Voodoo myrrh, patchouli, vetiver, lime, vanilla, pine, almond and clove.

Deep, dark and a little dischordant but ultimately very, very interesting.

Dee soft English leather, rosewood and tonka with a hint of incense, parchment and soft woods.

Just the ultimate sexy man scent. Sometimes I get the urge to do myself when I wear this one, let alone what I would do if I sniffed it on a gent.

Tombstone vanilla, balsam and sassafras layered over Virginia cedar.

Depending on his chemistry this one may be a winner. If he amps vanilla, probably not, but if he amps the woodsy notes it is truly a winner.

So, of course, I will include the standard BPAL disclaimer: Never discount it until it touches your skin. Your chemistry might absolutely sing with heavy foody or floral notes. You'll never know if you never try!

Dirty smells a lot like clean laundry, but for me it has a strong plumeria note. Like the laundry dried in the sun in the backyard next to a plumeria bush.

Ohhh my list is getting longer!!! But that's ok, because for him, I'm not sure what his skin will do with the different scents. And how will I find out? Well... by getting more options of course! HAHA

What would be some good room spray suggestions? With 3 boys (ok 4 if u count him) and a dog, I need something pretty strong. House isn't huge, but not tiny. I love when people walk in and say Wow it smells great in here. Nothing foody though. Fruity might be ok, and I tend to stay away from florals. I normally buy Clean Sheets candles from Gold Canyon, or Pool Towel. but lemme tell u.. my hubby is tired of those smells. He loved the cranberry orange one I bought him.

I think my "for sure" list is Wensleydale, Veil, Bloodlust, Dee, Snake Oil *just by reading the reviews sounds FANTASTIC!! I have a ton more on my hmmm maybe list. LOL

Thanks for all the help!

What a great site.. not only great options in every smell for every sniffer imaginable, but GREAT helpful members!!!

I found Dirty to be too overwhelmingly floral, but that most of the scents that list "ozone" as a primary note and some of the marine/aquatic blends end up smelling like clean laundry on me. Here are the ones that smelled the most like laundry to me:

Cthulhu
(Picnic in Arkham) - A creeping, wet, slithering scent, dripping with seaweed, oceanic plants and dark, unfathomable waters.

Lightning
(Bewitching Brews) - The electric tang of ozone, marine notes, and a drop of sharp rain.

You might also like:

The Dormouse
(Mad Tea Party) - A dizzying eddy of four teas brushed with light herbs and a breath of peony.

Szepasszony
(Diabolus) - Clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Tempest
(Bewitching Brews) - A crisp ozone-tinged breeze. The scent of the first gentle rain before the storm.

Y'ha-Nthlei
(Picnic in Arkham) - The deepest marine notes with bergamot, eucalyptus and foamy ambergris.

My favorite clean-yet-manly scent is Jolly Roger, soooo sexy:

Jolly Roger
(Bewitching Brews) - Sea spray with an undercurrent of leather, Bay Rum, and salty, dry woods.

These are all general catalogue scents that are available from the Lab in sample-sized "imps". I noticed that you're thinking of trying Wensleydale, and I just wanted to point out that you can't get that scent as an imp from the Lab (but you might find an imp of it available for purchase here on the forum or on eBay). Delousing Powder is a limited edition scent that is no longer available. If you want to try it, you'll have to hunt the forum and/or eBay.

For room sprays, you might want to check out the BPTP (Black Phoenix Trading Post) atmospheric sprays; they're very strong.

Edited by Apple

Hi! These have probably all been suggested, but thought I'd corroborate others' suggestions for clean/laundry scents:

White Rabbit

Dirty

Sudha Segara

Phantom Queen

The Sea Foams Milk

The Dormouse

Sea of Glass

Anubis (more like a clean spa than normal laundry, nice though)

(Full disclosure: I HATE the clean/laundry scents with a passion. But that means I can be relatively good at identifying them!) :)

I really like Embalming Fluid - bright zingy lemon. And I totally second Dee - great scent, some women can pull it off and it's GREAT on a guy. And Snake Oil is worth everyone trying.

Something your husband might like in the house if he likes cranberry-orange -- hmmm, I haven't had great luck finding a good orange. But Tintagel would be a great spicy scent in the fall/winter. Or something with cinnamon, like Bengal or Al-Shairan. For berries, maybe something like Bordello? (Totally not as... bawdy..? as the description makes it sound, at least to me.)

I also totally second Apple's recommendation of getting sample-sized "imp" testers, which you can order directly from the lab is you wish, so you can try lots of different scents to see what you like best. It can be hard to find that page on the website, so here's the link; there's a link from the FAQ page.

Rosalind and Glasgow both smelled like very pretty, "meadow-fresh" style laundry softeners on me.

I second Mrs. Black's suggestions. Also, for a match to/replacement for Amazing Grace: Pele.

thanks for all the advice!! So I have White Rabbit, Xiuhtecuhtli, Lightening, Jolly Roger, Dirty, and Wensleydale coming. Found a WONDERFUL sale on here!!!! Perfect way to break into bpal scents!! Now I'm off to the sites that show me how to make these into oh, perfumes, linen sprays... all that fun stuff!

I have a nice list going of what else I want.. Pele, Veil, Snake Oil, Dee,White Phoenix (if I can find it), Dormouse... too many more to list! haha Gunna hafta start investigating some nice fall scents here soon! Although lately here in Illinois it's felt more like fall than summer. *sigh*

Thanks again!!

I agree on Sudha Segara, being a clean scent...

As for White Rabbit, I was very disapointed, because on me, it was very sweet and honeyed...

Shattered is bright grapefruit and mint if your into that sort of thing.

Edited by ivy_fiddlefox

Shattered is bright grapefruit and mint if your into that sort of thing.

You know what, that sounds like a FANTASTIC room scent! I'm putting that on my "I want" list. HAHA