Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Sweet, gentle, soft & subtle. All of my favorites notes together and it sure doesn't disappoint. I find it to smell like red rose tea, with a splash of honey. Evokes such warm feelings & emotions for me. A comfort scent if you will. Reminds me of my dad. Edited by Shollin

Initially the carnation and bergamot are in the forefront,very warm and spicy.The rose never seems to pop out,it may be there,but I can't identify it.After drying the sweetness of the milk and honey help mellow this into a very nice and Victorian perfume.I would say it's definitely feminine,but I don't get a little girl feel from this.

During my fast run through of BPAL Alice wasn't on my wish list, but I decided to grab an imp to try because of how much everyone raves about this as the ultimate GC scent.

In the imp it's sweet but not to the point of foody. Just a delicate floral scent with milk and honey was the background notes. When it's initially applied to my wrist the honey barrels through and over powers everything else. Which was fine with me because florals tend to hit my skin and go insane. On the dry down this really is beautiful. Even as someone who hates rose and generally dislikes florals in general, the milk and honey smooth it into what florals in a perfume should be.

I'll have to wear this around before I decide on whether or not to get a big bottle, but the imp will certainly be used.

Whoa honey!

Wow. The honey completely dominates this when it hits my skin. Overpoweringly so. It smelled much more subdued in the imp.

As it dries, the honey mercifully pulls back for the carnation and rose, and when dry, the bergamot takes the edge off the sweetness.

It is, however, too sweet and a bit soapy for me. Far too girly. Glad I tried it, but once again, a MTP blend doesn't do it for me.

Off to the swaps with you, Alice.

EDIT: Hold the fort! I spoke far too quickly and have to now yoink Alice from the swap-box. She's turned into the most wonderful, spicy carnation without a trace of sweetness. Wow - morpher! I'll age the imp to see if the honey settles down, because the longer she's on my skin, the better she gets.

Edited by funkmoppet

If I could get a refund on this, I so would. I do meh with roses and well with honey (though I never do get milk). However, I appear to amp carnation. LOLI HAET CARNATION. Also, this is the rose that goes plastic on me like the rose in Hope.

The bottle was strongly carnation, even. Carnation and marzipan. ::sigh:: However, I had a frimp from this order that I'm shocked I like (Masquerade), so I guess it evens out.

ETA: I've grown to like this. I was originally very disappointed that it didn't turn out like I expected, but it's gone all nice and warm and spicy. Much better in my new climate.

Edited by palastinalied

I really didn't expect to like this one, but surprisingly I do. I don't get any of the roses, though, which is strange. They usually go crazy on me. It's slightly sweet and very powdery, but the carnation does add some character to what otherwise would be a very innocent and girlish blend. It seems like a wonderful variety of baby powder instead of a perfume. :P

Edited by Underline2

I'm afraid that Alice is one of those popular scents I don't really get. It's so pretty when I first put it on, a gorgeous powdery carnation scent. The rose doesn't come out too much on my skin, it's all pretty, sweet, spicy carnation. I love carnation.

Unfortunately, this stage is far too brief; after ten or fifteen minutes it morphs into a bland, sweet, milky floral, with the carnation fading into the background. This might be a personal chemistry issue, but the stage I like is too short for me to buy a bottle of this one. Sigh. I wish BPAL had more carnation scents that aren't heavy florals.

Wet, I get a lot of milk and honey mixed in with the florals, but in the drydown this almost immediately transforms into a sweet and spicy, predominantly carnation scent. Pretty, but not me.

I ordered a bottle of Alice unsniffed, because I love most of the notes in it: bergamot, honey, milk and carnation and I needed to spend money on new and shiny bottles at the time. I was a little afraid of the rose, and yes - the rose is there, but this rose is pale, light and fresh and doesn't bother me at all. At first the bergamot gives Alice a fresh, slightly sour (but nice) quality that soon fades to give place to a lovely scent of honeyed carnation and milk. Softly spicy and creamy, sweet but still fresh and light.

Absolutely lovely and one of my favorites. :P

Edited by Maia

One of my favourites, and I can’t believe I haven’t reviewed it before now.

In the bottle, this is all sweet-milk and spicy carnation.

Wet on my skin, it is incredibly sweet (must be the milk and honey) with a slight floral undertone.

This is just such a comforting scent to me. It is sweet, with the slightest hint of tea and floral, and it pairs so beautifully with Maiden. Where Maiden is floral-sweet, this is almost foody-sweet, and it’s just gorgeous. It’s the closest thing I have to a “me” scent, just something sweet and comforting and casual. I love it. <3

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet! Alice is a lovely scent. It is soft and almost-girly. Unassuming. Curious. The carnation lends a nice floral-spice to it. Floral with a bite! And from there, a cloud of sweetness rises up. As an accent, there is a touch of soft rose and a touch of zest from the bergamot.

This is a light scent, but it wears for an average amount of time on me. I will always keep a bottle of this on hand, not only because I love the scent, but because my name was intended as a fancied-up version of Alice. :P

I got an aged imp of alice, and it's very spicy and sweet a the same time. I can smell the rose, but really lightly. It's almost like a floral ice cream to me. I didn't expect to like this, but it's actually really good. :P

I got this as a bonus imp with my order. Fun!

In the imp: Oooaaaagh. Spoiled milk and sugar. Um. I put off trying it, but the other scents I have already proved to me how much they can change once on, so I knew I had to give Alice her day too. Today was the day!

Wet: Hmm. Still a little sour smelling, but now I'm getting more sweetness, a little powdery smell.

Just dry: Wow! Baby powder! I smell -exactly- like baby powder!

After a few hours: Okay, Alice is a bigtime keeper. What was baby powder has softened significantly. I'm put in mind of a good afternoon cup of Earl Grey with milk and sugar with a few carnations in a vase next to my cup. It's a very comforting scent. Happiness!

It does indeed smell like a children's tea party. I am not that partial to Earl Grey and it's strongly floral. It is way too femme for me, but not unpleasing if you like that sort of thing, but definitely not me.

In the imp, it smells pretty yummy! Some tangy scent that I just can't place and it's driving me crazy!

After the tang has softened a bit, it's still there, but more of an underlying scent.

I smell like a soapy baby! The carnation seems to have gone a bit icky on my skin. This has happened with scents containing carnation before. I guess carnation just doesn't work well on me... :P

I'm so excited about this one!

On me, it smells like honey with something floral (maybe carnation?). It's extremely pretty and makes me feel like wearing a dress!

Bought a bottle of this for an Alice-obsessed friend. Recieved a call from her the following week, telling me how someone walked past her at work, turned around, took a sniff, and said:

"Wow, you smell like a story"

Now if thats not the goal here, I can't imagine what is.

I was on a carnation kick when I ordered Alice. I love the spiciness of carnations, they are a splendidly scented robust flower. However, I am not a fan of milk (both the liquid and the note) and unfortunately the milk in Alice walks all over the spicy carnation and subdues it until it is all namby-pamby and insipid with very little spicy carnation kick. And it also does the same to the rose too. So all in all, Alice is not for me, it sits too sweetly and milkily on my skin, in fact it almost simpers, and I do not like a simpering scent!

How have I not reviewed this? Alice was a scent that I tried somewhat early on in the beginning of my bpal "career", about a year ago. I didn't like it - too sweet and the milk smelled weird on me.

I tried it again this morning and I'm loving it! What happened? The milk is working for me, or at least not doing anything gross, as is the honey. The rose and carnation are lovely and not overwhelming, and the bergamot makes this smell like a cup of earl grey to me.

Delish! This is going right out of the swap pile!

Well, being an Alice in Wonderland fanatic, I of course wanted to love her as so many seem to do. And she´s nice and all. She´s a sweet little girl. But... I am not a sweet little girl and don´t really want to smell like one.

Alice was very soft at first. I´ve had bad luck with honey and milk before, but these stayed sweet and subtle on my skin. But this faded from a soft and pleasant scent in the first few minutes to the barely detectable skin scent of a baby washed in milk and honey scented water. Um. Not for me--I like stronger, darker, and more womanly scents. Maybe I´ll have to give Queen Alice a shot. So far, I´ve had a very low success rate with the Wonderland scents, and that makes me sad! :P

As with everything that even hints at the inclusion of rose, this turned into almost rose single note on me. With an underlying soured milk scent that turned my stomach. Gave it to a friend who is also, coincidentally, an Alice fangirl, and it's AMAZING. That's so unfair. . . *sigh*

In the imp: Hmmm.. smells sharp and herbally. I think what I smell is the rose and carnation. I'm not sure what the lab's milk and honey notes smell like just yet, but I'm not really getting any of that.

Wet: I smell mostly rose and carnation still. I thought the milk and honey would kick in to round this one out, but they're missing in action. I just smell rose and carnation. I think I amp rose like nobody's business.

Dry: Still very rosy, unfortunately. I can detect a very, very light creaminess underneath this, but it's not enough to beat the rose into submission.

Verdict: Sadly, not the Mad Tea Party scent for me. It might dry down to be a little less strong on the rose like some other rose scents I've tried have done, but 'tis not big bottle worthy. But that's okay, since my wishlist is ginormous as it is!

This one didn't appeal to me originally, but having learned a bit more about what notes work on me (honey, carnation and bergamot being among them), I thought it was worth a try.

On first sniff, it's pretty nice. I was a bit worried about the rose amping on my skin, but it doesn't seem to be. Then again, I don't know how old this imp is, since I got it in a swap, and aged rose behaves much better on me. It's actually kind of hard at first to pick out the individual notes in this -- it's kind of floral and kind of not, with a sort of mellow creaminess to it.

It's got a touch of warmth, and as it settles in, I would swear there was cinnamon in it, which is probably the carnation -- that particular note generally behaves much better on my skin than most florals, because it smells more spicy than floral. So this phase is almost a bit like cinnamon toast sprinkled with rose petals -- sweet, warm, spicy, with the cinnamony carnation and the honey dominating and just a hint of rose. Very pretty and comforting.

It does seem to fade down before too long, but really that's its only down side. Apart from that it's quite lovely, and while it doesn't really have the depth or complexity of my top favourite scents, I could very much see wearing it to lift my spirits on a grey day. Definitely a keeper.

Grade: B+/A-