Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

At first, I thought Alice would be a bit too sweet for me, but it seems as if my skin is tempering it a bit. The carnation seems to be the prominent note off the bat. Alice is spicy, but with a lightly milky, soft base. It's interesting.

As the fragrance wears on, the rose is stirred from its hiding spot, grinning from ear-to-ear. The rose is of the powdery sort, but it can't quite break through the spice of the carnation.

I can't figure out if I would wear this or not, but it certainly is a curious scent. I'll be holding onto my imp to see how often I reach for it. This is quite a quirky fragrance, definitely something for someone looking something unique with a spicy kick.

-doreen

In the bottle: Sweet, sweet, creamy carnation and rose slathered in honey.

When first applied: I don't smell any bergamot, but I do smell the honey mixed with carnation; the milk and rose are definitely secondary notes. A lovely sweet, innocent scent.

Dries down to: Alice, where did you go? The drydown gives a note of soap that, thankfully, disappears as quickly as it appears, leaving a honeyed floral with a touch of cream, carnation being the most prominent note. But two hours later I can barely smell anything! It does smell lovely but it's so faint.

I know people whose skin chemistry seizes on and amps up florals. I'm just the opposite. Sweet florals usually smell divine on me but my skin clings to them like a jealous lover - flowers, flowers, you shall not leave me! While I love florals, I'm beginning to wonder if they're not best combined with an incense/spice/resin note on me to keep them from disappearing. (This is the beauty of trying and reviewing the BPAL smellies. Knowing what notes go into what scent is an eye-opener.)

Verdict: Keep and use up imp, layered with Bastet or amber essence or something else spicy/resinous. Alice smells lovely on me but has ziparoonie throw and no staying power.

Edited by Chrysantza

again, another one that i love in the bottle, but...

i'm not always fond of rose scents, but i didn't mind it here. in the bottle it smells like milk and carnation, very sweet and innocent. not sugar-sweet but cute and very very much alice in the blue dress and white apron. so cute.

alas, the rose turns to baby powder on me. strong, soapy, overpowering yucky baby powder.

swapped this one away.. if i want to smell like baby powder i'll buy some :P

a review of Alice

Vial ~ Wow, the component I detect the most is honey, but it is sweetened

by the rose and bergamot. I am a little weary about this one, it might be

a little too sweet for me.

Wet ~ I am having a hard time pinning down the individual notes, if I didn't

know better I would think there was almond in this scent. But so far the

scent is still too sweet for me.

Drying ~ the honey is coming out and the rose, bergamont and carnation has

settled down. But it mellowed out and is very light.

Dry ~ It had taken on the spiciness of the carnation and the honey seems to

have vanished.

Fade ~ It has quickly disappeared, I have a feeling that even if I slathered

this on me, it stil would not last long on me.

Final thoughts ~ I have tried this scent once before and remember not being

all that excited about it. Now I can see why, it just does not last that

long on me. I used to think that maybe because it was a bit bland, but now

I can see that it was not that, as the carnation does stay behind and give

off some scent. But I am going to have to give it a low rating because of

it's inability to stay long on my skin. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give it 2.

Alice

IN the Imp:

Strong, bright bergamot, with honey and milk. Almost candy-like.

Wet on:

Whew! Honey. and a strong sweet fruity scent. Is that the tea? The honey and the bergamot are having a screeching match, and milk is referee.

Dry on:

MMM. Milk is calming the honey. I think my skin must amplify honey notes, because this smells a lot like White Rabbit, with a citrus candy smell. I never get roses in this, and the carnation is very faint.

Conclusion, ladies and jelly-spoons: Interesting, but not fab.

This is quite sharp on first application, the bergamot coming out strongly. I didn't expect that at all, but I like it. After a few moments, the rose and carnation come into play, but no milk and honey yet. So far I like it, but it's a bit confusing.

After a while, the scent becomes a creamy rose, with the barest hint of honey. The bergamot fades mostly away, but leaves a bit of a sour note.

Overall, Alice is mild and girlish and sweet. This is a lovely scent, but I don't think it's for me.

Disclaimer: this is my very first review, so while I'm aping the style of other people on the forum,, I really don't know what I'm doing.

In the bottle: unfortunately, the very first thing I thought of was that liquid soap that's found in public bathrooms everywhere, which is kind of a rosey scent, now that I think about it. Still, not an amazing association. I sniffed the bottle again, and this time got something lemony, probably the bergamot, but it just disappeared after that.

Wet: This smells to me exactly like this kind of Indian dessert I really like, whose name I can't remember, but which is a kind of pudding with pistachios, covered in rosewater syrup. Very milky, creamy, sweet, with a rosewater note.

Dry: The same notes are still there, but there's something spicier going on. Then that dampened down, and it really does smell powdery. When I saw that in other reviews, I wasn't sure what that meant, because powder is a state of material rather than smell, but this certainly has a powderiness to it.

It doesn't seem to travel very far... I put this on my wrists and neck, but I can only really smell it if I bring a wrist right up under my nose. So, I wish there was a stronger version.

This was my first 5mL! It's a gentle rose floating in sweet milk, with carnation and bergamot subtly accenting the sweetness with a hint of spice. It's like being patted by a big, pink powder puff while being dressed up in your best frock that you're wearing to tea at the vicarage. Wouldn't have thought that this little girl scent would suit me so well, but it practically sinks into my skin. Only thing is, Alice is so delicate that I can't wear it when it's too hot or else my skin makes it go a bit off. So Alice and I will be shivering together throughout the long winter :).

Oh, how I love this when I first put it on! It's creamy, sweetened milk mixed with spicy carnations. The rose only comes out after about fifteen minutes and it can go either way - a really amplified single note rose, which, although I love rose, is too strong; or the milk and spice temper the rose and everything works out wonderfully.

I love Alice, and I'll definitely keep my bottle, but I just have to figure what to wear with it in order to mellow out the rose a bit.

I had such high hopes for Alice after reading the glowing reviews. I love honey notes, and this seemed like it would be perfect on me.

At first Alice is gorgeous on my skin, but sadly a disturbing, plastic note surfaces... the honey remains pleasant, but fades far too quickly.

After only 15 minutes Alice smells like plastic bags, faint floral airfreshner and sweetness.

At first, I didn't much care for Alice. I just didn't want to smell like a young girl. Not that Alice smells like a thirteen year old's perfume- just like a thirteen year old. And while I adore bergamot, it doesn't hang around on my skin. But I've found myself reaching for Alice more and more, so I got a 5 mL.

The first thing that hits me is the clean, fresh bergamot. The citrus zing is lovely. Then the milk and honey come out, subdued and quiet. Finally the rose. Lovely, lovely.

The lab included this as a frimp with a 6 pack of studly smellies I ordered for my boyfriend. So nice of them, now I have something new to try too!

When I first put this on, it's So Damn Delicious and ... intriguing. I can't stop sniffing my wrists. I smell sweet, sweet milk and carnations, and for some reason it's a beautiful thing. The sweetness must be the bergamot? The honey in Skuld is VERY prominent on me, to the point where I can only smell the other stuff if I think about it. In Alice, it's barely there at all. Maybe it's mixed in with the general sweetness of the milk, carnation, and bergamot.

As it dries, rose stops by and chit-chats with the other notes for a bit. I beg to her to keep to herself this time, and not steal the show. My pleas are answered, for Alice has become creamy rose-carnation with a teeny hint of tea in the background.

After a solid half-hour of carousing with the other notes of Alice, rose has had far too much to drink and becomes quite loud and obnoxious, to the point where no one can smell much else but her. Granted, she's creamy and soft, but she's still rose, and she's sent poor innocent carnation into hiding.

Now this is the weird part. I baked some cookies earlier, and all of Alice washed off my wrists. Even though I didn't like how the rose took over, I'm dying to slather more on (yes, slather. This one has no throw on me at all). It's just so.... curious and intriguing! That weird beginning scent was like nothing I've ever smelled in a perfume before!

Edited by Babylon

Milk and honey and rose oh my! This is a sweet scent definitely a good young woman scent. Maybe a teenage girl but not a woman.

Wet: This is a very light milky, honey sweet scent. The bergamot is nowhere to be found, drowned out by the sweet honey, rose and milky notes.

Drydown: This scent is, as stated above, not a sexy "come here baby" kind of scent but a definite maybe for meeting the boyfriend's folks or for a younger girl. Very youthful scent.

alice smells like milk honey & tea with a touch of soft spices. i guess that's the carnation. a beautiful, soft comforting scent. i love all the notes in this scent, except honey- honey scents usually don't work on me, but this one does- yay!

i'll probably use this sparingly, but i admit it's really soft and pretty.

I waver between liking this scent excessively and only liking it solidly. It's very pleasant in either case!

Overview: sweet, floral, cool, and milky

Wearing it dry: This is one of my favorite scents in the bottle (faintly citrus-y, even!), but the dry scent is unfortunately a little powdery. Still, it is a really lovely, smooth floral that lasts about 3 hours (pretty good, for me) and wafts well enough for me to smell it easily after only applying only a very small amount.

The boy: After wearing it a while, I gave my wrist to him for evaluation. He likes this one, though it isn't his favorite.

In the bottle: Milky honey rose. Absolutely delicious!

On my skin: This takes on a spicy note as the carnation takes the stage. Starting to notice a slight powdery undertone now.

Later on: All spicy powder now. :|

In the imp: Oh! Smelling the imp actually made me giggle. It smells young, sweet and happy. A little girl carelessly running in a field of flowers.

Wet, on skin: White roses and fruit punch.

Dry: Smells sweet, like flowers, fruit, milk and honey, with a spicy kick. I keep picturing a lovely little vintage house, bright and sunny. There are flowers all around the house. A little girl lives there, good mannered and polite, wearing a flowy dress and a pink ribbon in her hair. Her mother is baking cookies in the kitchen, while the curious little girl is exploring the house, looking for hidden secret passages.

This really is Alice. :P

This is a very light, soft blend compared to other bpal I've tried. Not very much throw at all on me, and not all that long-lasting, yet still gorgeous.

In the imp: almonds, milk and frosting.

When applied to my skin, the almond-milk scents waft up, but sadly fade after only a few minutes. I'm left with a very clean, light and airy creamy-rose floral with a hint of lemon.

It's so delicate and beautiful, and is reminding me of something from my childhood that I can't place. Very haunting and beautiful.

Pretty and light, but still a little on the too-sweet side. On me, this is all candied rose, with a milky base that tries valiantly to put in an appearance to balance the sweetness. . .but never quite makes it.

In the imp, this is icing sugar and candied rose petals. Wet, it turns to straight honey, but a softer honey than what was in O. It's slightly creamy on me, but not really milky. With dry-down, the roses come out a tiny bit, and the carnations make a spicy appearance in the far background for a few seconds here and there, but honey is center stage. I never got any bergamot.

I'm not wild about this, although it's nice. I'll try it again in a few weeks; if it's the same, off to swaps it goes.

Just tried this for the first time and found it surprisingly pleasant. In fact, I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

I would never have tried it on my own, so thank goodness for the frimps. I hate rose scents. I don't mean to, but I feel like they hated me first and I'm just hurting myself by hanging on :P

Anyway, Alice is some what different.

Wet: This is very sweet. Honey sweet, with a hint of floral spice (carnation?). I love it! The rose is here too, but it's so mellow and delicate it doesn't offend. Perhaps like taking a bath in rosy bubbles.

On my arm: Whoops! Baby powder. Lots and lots of baby powder. Nothing but baby powder. I don't mind this too much though, at least I feel clean.

Drydown: Roses come out again, spiced and warmed with carnation and honey sweet. This is very subtle, but I feel it without directly being aware of the smell. The other notes make the rose more tolerable than usual.

More than anything I would buy this scent for how it makes me feel. Bouyant and girlie, this is a great pick-me-up scent.

Alice smells very clean, like an amalgam of baby powder and fresh carnations. To me, it smells like the perfume equivalent of a freshly washed pinafore. It's very aptly named. I can detect the same milk from Milk Moon, with just the tiniest bit of honey. The carnations offer a slightly spiced edge---I love Beth's carnation note---and the bergamot is barely detectable, at least to my nose.

If I had a daughter, I would definitely buy her a bottle for her first perfume. On me, however, it just goes too powdery for comfort. If I sniff my skin where I applied it, I get a good balance of notes. But the throw is pure baby powder for some reason.

I think I'll have to stick with Sudha Segara for my milk and honey blend.

the honey, rose and milk really stand out in this perfume and i feel

very fortunate that they all work beautifully with my chemistry :P

this is a very comforting and beautiful scent and most definitely

warrants a big bottle purchase......just gorgeous....reminiscent of

a springtime tea party in a field full of daisies and daffodils......amazing!!

This is a very beautiful scent. I love the carnation, which to my nose is the dominant note. The rose is the lightest not to me. I had never tried a carnation scent, in fact I never realized that they really had much of a scent, so I was pleasantly surprised. My only complaint is that it isn't very long-lasting.