Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

In the vial: Gross, bitter, medicinal rose.

Wet: Immediately, it’s gross, bitter, medicinal rose. After a minute, it calms down into a slightly sweet, spicy rose. I think that might be the carnation peeking out? The medicinal note might be coming from the bergamot. After another few minutes, it’s all just rose and carnation. I like the carnation note, but the rose is giving it an old musty powdery feel. Lots of throw.

Dry: It’s still mostly just the carnation and rose. The milk and honey peeks through just a tiny bit to warm it up and sweeten it just a little. I like it, but probably not enough for a bottle.

This is a tea party in a rose garden.

In the imp, I get rose and carnation.

Wet, the rose is most prominent on me, and stays so for about an hour.

Alice dries down into a beautiful, soft, powdery carnation and rose. Neither one dominates, and the carnation is the same as that in Morocco. The cream and honey sweeten and smooth the flowers. It's old-fashioned in the best possible way, and I think it fits the character of Alice perfectly.

Bottle: Roses and carnations

Wet: Turning into a creamy floral, love this!

Dry: It smells like a perfume or bubble bath I used to use. I dont remember what it was, but this is exactly the same scent. It makes me so happy! A non-foody, sweet, creamy, soft floral. It actually begins to turn a little powdery after a while. Perfect for a little girl or for those who need a moment to remember their younger selves.

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

Frimp

I amp honey and milk so mainly that's what I get. The rose and carnation are there only slightly. I am not picking up on bergamont. The rose starts to come out much stronger on dry down and eventually this turns into an almost powder thing. It’s not bad.

This does remind me of tea and this smells exactly like Alice should smell, very pretty and very sweet. This smells "young" but not so young that I would feel odd about wearing it.

I like this, only it doesn't last very long on me. :(

I think I am going to age this imp for a year and see if the bergamont may get stronger. I should have ordered Alice in the pumpkin patch from my decant circle. Well there is still time.

I wanted to love this, I really did since I'm looking for a work suitable scent that isn't Boo (I work in childcare). And when it was wet, I loved it. Pretty, light and gently floral.

A pity that as soon as it dried, it went strongly play-doh like. While that might be suitable for work, I'd rather not smell like I rolled on the activity table.

Off to swaps with you, Alice.

I suppose I really amp the honey and milk notes because the florals are so quiet in the background on me! I can hardly smell this in the bottle, however, on the skin this has a good throw! This is pretty much calming milk and honey with slight florals, this is so lovely and delicate that I might need a bottle come spring time (not an autumn/winter scent for me)

In the Imp: Honeyed carnation with maybe a hint of milk.

Wet: The rose comes out, mixed with honey, and some spiciness from the carnation. Sweetly floral, not getting any milk at this stage.

Drydown: It's all carnation with a hint of honeyed rose.

Verdict: While I like the smell of carnation, this blend is more spicy than sweet, so not really for me. Nice though.

3/5

Bright, sweet, almost candied in character. It's bubbly and uplifting, floral and fresh, it has nearly the same breezy quality to it that The White Rabbit posses. On others it may easily become cloying due to all the sweetness but it hasn't done that to me. Yet. It has the most lovely rose, like a late spring, spicy, candied rose that I just adore. More testing needed, but it is very beautiful, all said.

In the bottle: Oddly medicinal and sharp. I can detect something floral, but it's not distinct. Not liking where this is headed.

Wet on skin: A very distinct rose, still slightly medicinal, with something sweet in the background.

Drydown: A nice, slightly sweet and very spicy carnation. I've never worn anything like this before, but I really love it. I just wish the bergamot would have made an appearance at some point.

4.5/5 :wub2:

I just got my bottle of Alice after testing with an imp.

On my skin, it's a beautiful, innocently clean soft rose, with just enough carnation to make it seem ladylike, not childlike. Moderately sweet, fresh, slightly powdery. I would say it's going to be perfect for work situations, where I want to smell pretty and clean, without smelling like laundry or sharp soap. I like it very much.

In the imp: Gorgeous! Rose & carnation, with a little citrus hit from the bergamot & some honeyed milk smoothing it all out!

Wet on skin: My skin has eaten all the rose (as usual!) so it's mostly carnation, with a little citrusy honey-milk. Sweet & pretty, but nothing spectacular.

Dry on skin: Ooohhh, a little rose came back! It's not a fresh rose, though, more like dried pink rose petals - with the bergamot & carnation it's sort of a homemade potpourri smell. The milk & honey are still there in the background.

After a few hours: Like a sweet, milky carnation. Nice, but not very exciting.

Verdict: I might wear this occasionally, but I don't think I'll bother replacing the imp if/when it runs out.

Well, this was a surprise.

It came as part of an Imp Pack (Beloved Favorites, yes, I'm a n00b), and I admit, I wasn't expecting too much of it. I prefer slinky, sexy scents to the fresh, sweet, innocent ones, and "milk and honey, with rose, carnation, and bergamot" sounded just a little too cutesy for me. (Admittedly, though, the bergamot intrigued me, because my devotion to every variant of Earl Grey tea borders on the unhealthy. Possibly ditto for the carnation - I don't have a good scent template for it in my head, but the Fragrentica definition sounds lovely.)

In the bottle: mostly lemony-fresh, with hints of spice and something floral.

Wet: Um...what just happened??? It doesn't smell sexy by my usual definition (spicy, subtly sweet; something you would wear a slinky black dress, high heels, and red lipstick with), but sexy as in UNF-throw-me-to-the-ground. I mean, damn, where did this come from? Especially since it starts out as a sweet, milky scent, then morphs into what my notes describe as "surprisingly intoxicating candied lemon peel."

Dry: only gets more UNF-worthy as it dries. The candied lemon peel morphs into something spicy and floral, with a touch of powder. Less resinous/amber-y than my usual "sexy" scents, but still something I need a full-sized bottle (or three) of, NOW.

Roses and carnations when first applied. When dry, a little bit of milk and honey makes the floral sweet and creamy, but also a bit powdery. Despite this, I still really like Alice, probably not enough to get a bottle, but I will keep my imps.

"Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot."

I was a little wary, as floral scents have the tendency to turn into lavatory air-freshener on me.

In the bottle: Very spicy and floral, like stuffing fresh flower petals up your nose. Something soft and sweet lingers behind, though; perhaps that's the honey.

Wet: Still very spicy, to the point of making my nose burn slightly. There is a very faint Earl Grey scent to it, liike flowers anointed with bergamot oil.

Dry: Delightful! It settled down into a muddled bouquet of carnations and roses, faintly sweetened by the honey and spiked with the citrus-y scent of the bergamot. Overall, I could definitely see this being a young Victorian maiden's perfume. It has enough throw to it for passersby to comment on it, and is subtle enough not to irritate others. One of my new favourites.

In the imp - Smells like the sugar bowl in my cupboard.

Wet - And now it smells like a lavender-rose sachet I used to keep in my dresser.

Drydown - The milk and honey are giving it a very “tea” feeling. It’s sweet and innocent. I kind of expected more carnation than I’m getting, but instead it’s very subtle honeyed rose. I usually hate rose, and this is surprisingly OK on me.

Verdict - Pleasant, but I’m not hunting down more of it.

Alice: bergamot, carnation, honey and rose

Preconceived notions: this is so wildly popular, I expect a somewhat foody floral with vanilla tones

In Vitro (well aged bottle): slight citrus, sweet and creamy

Wet: Minty tea (wonder where that is coming from!, likely the rose + bergamot), a floral note that smells to me like carnations, and a linen note--wonder if that is the honey variant?

Drying: Spicy carnation amps in a good way, the rose note is a no show (thank goodness as my skin usually amps it) and the honey is subdued, not at all like the one in O, this is honey without the sexy

Drydown: This is a near to skin scent, that is a creamy carnation predominant floral with some spice coming from what I think is the carnation. They often smell spicy on me, like a whisper of clove gets mixed in there. The "mint note" is gone, not sure what that was--maybe my nose misinterpreting the rose note. There is little morphing after the drydown, it stays close to skin with little throw and doesn't last too long for me. The honey is slightly sweet and well melded with the creamy note. There is a hint of linen like the one in White Rabbit, and it makes me think of a child's hankerchief and I don't know where that is coming from, maybe the honey or the cream being misinterpreted by my wonky nose.

Final impressions: Well, this was quite different from what I expected, as I thought it would be more citrus, more honey, more sweet, and more throw. I see the popularity as an innocent, sweet, very close to the skin fragrance that is a whimsical, creamy floral. My bottle is well aged, so I am wondering if the rose did not amp because it was aged out, but also if that is why the honey is so light and the bergamot is not aggressive. I will treasure my bottle and use it on days when I need a comforting skin scent that is innocent and uplifting. I want to compare my aged bottle to a newer imps, as I wonder if the newer oil will have more citrus and the honey more presence. That could also mean the rose will be more pushy, so it could be aging improves Alice for my skin chemistry issues. I was hoping for more sweet honey, but I could see layering it with Mouse's Tale to get vanilla to add sweet, which is what I may do soon.

Edited by sprout

This is just lots of spicy carnation on my skin. Then a peppery rose shows up. Very strong spicy florals. Finally a little honey shows up and sweetens it a bit; it's that sweet honey note that smells a bit like cherry, so this makes it almost have a bubblegum like sweetness to it. No bergamot at all. Then when it's fully dry and been on skin a long while, is when what I guess what is supposed to be the milk note shows up. But it smells more like a liquid baby powder note to my nose. It definitely turns the whole thing from spicy, loud floral, into more little girl, innocent, floral. Interesting.

I get a very similar vibe to High Strung Daisies when I wear this, except HSD goes wrong on me. Not sure I would have a full bottle, but possibly just an imp on hand to have every time I'm in the mood for it.

I got this as a frimp fresh from the lab. Vial: sweet but spicy Wet: reminds me of cinnamon red hots, very powerful. As it dries down the scent softens and the rose comes out. I usually do not like/ can't wear rose and my skin tends to amp it a ton, but this is the only rose scent I've tried so far that isn't INYOURFACE rose. After a few hours I get the milk and honey with a slight trace of the florals. It wears very light. I can't see myself ever getting a bottle but I'll keep the imp and see how it ages.

In the imp: Sharp carnation and a bit of milk.

Wet on me: Still sharp carnation, almost spicy. It's not a soft scent at all on me, and is instead almost wickedly sharp...but not in a bad way.

Dry: This doesn't really change as it dries, except to add in a tiny hint of the rose and creamy milk. And WHAT? HONEY? I didn't know there was honey in it when I tried it, which is a good thing since honey tends to go sickeningly-sweet and sharp on me and I avoid it in most blends. This must be what's making it go sharp, but thankfully the spiciness of the bergamot offsets what would likely otherwise be sickening and cloying. This is surprisingly nice on my skin, and completely unexpected.

Frimped from the Lab, it's something I've wanted to try, but I've put off in favor of LE bottles. So glad I got this!

In the imp and on my skin wet, it's like Earl Grey with honey, and a bit of a spicy note (the carnation, from what I've gathered), and a creamy rose note. The rose is soft, mild, and sweet without cloying--this is why I love the Lab's rose notes--and goes surprisingly well with the carnation's spicy qualities, and the citrus bite of the bergamot. The honey is nowhere near as heavy as some of the other blends I've had it in, though it is the rich honey note rather than a lighter honeycomb note like in Elf.

Dry, it's spicy, rosy honey, with a light, creamy note and a hint of bergamot, like a spiced, rose-scented Earl Grey with a tiny bit of milk and a big dollop of honey. Soft, light, and ladylike, without being juvenile or at all cloying. It fits in quite nicely with my general tastes, and I'll probably consider a bottle one of these days...when I run out of LEs that catch my eye, I suppose.

Spicy rose for the first few minutes, and then it settles down into a tea-dominant scent and stays there. Tea in the forefront, a little spicy, and then all the other notes are well-blended and just seem to form an indistinct aura of "sweet" that hangs around underneath the tea. I wish I got more rose and honey out of this, but I'm glad the cream doesn't show up to wreck things. I could swear I feel cooler, in the temperature sense, the moment I get a whiff of this. It's very fresh and clean on me. The real test, I think, will be how much I reach for it when the weather gets really hot.

In the imp: soft, but spicy

Applied, wet: creamy, soapy, spicy.

Drydown: Sadly, this fades on me after about 2 hours, but I'm loving the spice note in this. I imagine it'd make a fantastic hair gloss (scent there seems to last longer). That said, I definitely see what the fuss is about.

ETA: I'm getting a soft, slightly spicy, creamy vanilla now; just barely there.

Overall: On the plus side, there's enough other things in this that the rose didn't immediately come out and bash everything into baby powder. That said, I think it faded fast enough the rose didn't even get a chance. As well, Alice reminds me of a Chai Tea Latte wink emoticon