Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

In honor of the new movie, I pulled out Alice today, even if it really is a bit too cold outside for me to normally want to wear this scent.

On me, it starts out a spicy carnation with a touch of smooth creaminess underneath, softening out the edges of the carnation.

After it's on for a while, a hint of the rose will emerge, but it stays light. The honey and bergamot never show up on their own for me, but the honey is probably adding to the creaminess of the milk.

This is a light scent, and it's not one of the ones that I can make last all day. It's perfectly suited to warm spring and summer days, as it stays light, fresh, and not overpowering at all.

When wet, I get a bit of the overly sweet, cloying honey from O. However, as it dries it softens, and I can detect something that reminds me of tea (bergamot?) and a creaminess coming through. There is also a hint of carnation creating some spiciness. Once dry, I really like it. It is feminine and creamy, and fits the inspiration well.

Methinks I need a bottle of this...

Milk and honey and carnation, but mainly milk and carnation.

When I first tested this a zillion times I didn't think I needed a bottle. It just seemed almost too simple for me. I put it away for later use thinking an imp would be enough. I was, however, strangely drawn to it and didn't notice at the time how much i was using it.

The other day I whipped it open to put on before I sleep and lo and behold my imp was pretty near empty. I felt sad.

In the imp and on my skin it remains pretty much the same: a gorgeous, warm, comforting, creamy milk stirred with carnation. The carnation itself is a touch spicy but not overly so. It's really the perfect sleep scent or feeling warm and toasty scent for me. It fades to a creamy milk with a touch of carnation and the throw is fairly strong and it lasts about an average time.

Why have I waited so long! I need a bottle!

ETA: I was looking through my old review and realized that lately I've been even smelling a touch of rose in this! It is really pretty! Definitely heavy on the milk, but the carnation and rose just bring it to a completely different level for me! Amazing!

Edited by ciaobonefish

I was really disappointed in Alice. It's been hailed as one of the BPAL scents, and I got an imp of it in my very first order. It started out nice enough, a sweet carnation and bergamot but it faded to ... for lack of a better description, that floral scented bug spray you can get. This just wasn't met for my skin chemistry, it seems.

Finally getting to try this out. In the imp, this smells like the spiciness of the carnations with honey and what I think is the bergamont? On my skin, I think I'm getting the rose, the carnations, and the bergamont, very similar to Pepper, almost. We'll see what this does. It's pretty much weak rose, carnations, and maybe some honey underneath. Not really feeling this.

Edited by Venneh

In bottle: Honey softened by milk with just a touch of rose based floral.

Wet: The milk and honey are a beautiful soft blend with the florals fading into just a whisper. Light, sweet and airy.

Dry: The milk and honey fade and the florals take dominance after a while. It’s still a soft scent, very feminine.

Notes: I love the opening smell. I’m a little ambivalent about the florals in it but it keeps morphing between the florals which I’m okay but not in love with and the honey and milk smell which I’m adoring. May need to try it a few times before I can make up my mind on this one.

Alice

This is a really nice light floral on me. Soft rose with a hint of spice (carnation) that becomes more prominent as it dries. It is very light on me, I have to really sniff my wrist to get a good whiff of it, but that makes it perfect for a day to go lighter on scent. I'm not really smelling the milk and honey separately, but suspect they add to the general softness and smoothness of the scent.

Edit: I just got a whiff of honey! Makes it even nicer since I love honey :yum:

Edited by sunlitgarden

This is my first BPAL scent ever! I found that my local market actually carries BPAL in stock. I tried this one day in the tester and went back and bought it the next day.

Alice is slightly sweet and warm, with a lovely powdery underlayer. This is the type of scent that I keep burying my nose in my wrist all day long to keep smelling. I love it.

It smells like powder. A bit floral and a bit citrus with a light sweetness from the honey. Once it's dry it turns a bit spicy from the carnation. I liked it before teh carnation showed up.

Edited by BuxomM

:love!:

I can't believe the first time I tried this I was all "Mm, nice, but kinda faint" and just forgot about it for months.

I dug it out from under my pile of imps when I went to see Alice in Wonderland and haven't stopped wearing it since.

In the bottle it's sweet and spicy, almost (but not really) almondy.

On the skin the almond disappears, I can smell bergamot, milk and honey warmed by carnation.

As it dries the rose comes out more and pushes away the bergamot, but it's never shrill or overwhelming.

I'm so glad the bergamot is a prominent note because while I love orangey scents the ones I've tried from the lab were either candy-sweet or not orangey enough for my taste, and I love being able to actually smell the milk in this -it cools everything and completely changes the feel of the honey, making Alice a perfect scent for spring.

I'd happily drink something that smells like this next time I have a cold...honeyed milk, orange peel and some drops of rosewater maybe? With just a touch of spice...mmmm.

I bought a bottle, unsniffed. BPAL's honey note doesn't give me or the partner-creature problems it seems like, and everything else in Alice is ok. Soo... I took a flyer.

Not total victory, but I get a simple honey and carnation scent that would be nice for cold winter days. It speaks of hot tea and baking so the house stays warm. It's not at all soft or snuggly tho. My skin adds a lot of hard edges to the scent so it is not all blendy.

It's a much warmer and more definite scent on me than Maiden is.

I really like this, but lil Alice fades away to nothingness soooo quickly on me. I put on a generous amount and two hours later I was sniffing all over and couldn't tell that I had ever put anything on. :(

I'm starting to think my skin is the type that 'eatz teh BPALs'. Boo.

My hubby says this will be a good one to wear for him though, he likes the real subtle, up-close scents. Maybe I'll have better luck with it lasting the next time I wear it.

While it lasted, I definitely smelled the carnation and the bergamot. Not a whole lot of milk, but I think it was there. Nice. Sweet but not too sweet, quiet and polite. Just wish it would stick around a little longer.

In the Bottle: Strong carnation and honey with a bit of powdery rose.

Wet: Really strong, spicy carnation, milk, honey, and rose coming in behind (just slightly). I was surprised at how strong this came out on my skin.

Dry Down: My husband said it smells like candied orange. I still smell the carnation, I'm finally getting the bergamot, and I'm getting a slight powderiness, which I usually get from honey and amber.

Dry: After dry down and a workout, I get heavy carnation, honeyed milk, some citrus, and just a little powder. It's not bad!

Disclaimer: my Alice is quite aged - 2005 by the previous owner's best guess. I have not smelled fresh (or younger than 5 years!) Alice, when I do I will add to this review.

in bottle: clean, warm, slightly sweet, slightly spicy (in a peppery way). No rose, unfortunately. I don't know just what it smells like (so far the lab's milk and honey don't smell very distinct or at all like the real thing to me, but I like them lots anyway), but it smells good.

wet: more of the same.

dry: this one is consistent from the bottle up to a few hours. Sweetish, powdery in a way I LIKE (previously 'powder' was what amber/resins/myrrh/frankincense did on me, and I hate it), spicy, warm. As previous reviewers have said, Alice is <i>cozy</i>. I am so happy that I apparently enjoy carnation!

ETA: I have tried fresh Alice, and I prefer it aged. Aging strengthens the creaminess and the sweet honey note. Fresh it is very similar to Maiden (carnation, white tea, rose - a fresh spicy floral). I had better buy another bottle ASAP, I am going through my 05 bottle very quickly!

Edited by animalcule

IMP: Creamy, spicy, warm floral.

WET: It smells like a yummy winter drink - bergamot, honey, spices and warm milk. Definitely foodie but not too sweet or overcloying.

DRY: Once it dries the carnation stars to emerge - again, this is not a heavy floral note. After a couple of hours all I can smell is a hint of rose and spices. Lovely, but I wish it lasted longer.

Alice is my ultimate comfort scent, just perfect to wear during a lazy rainy afternoon.

I love it and I will need another bottle of it soon!

Alice

This is really nice. I can't really pick out the individual notes, but it's not too floral and I think the lab's milk note works on me. I can sense a gentle creaminess to this blend.

First impression, wet on skin, sort of reminds me of a spicy ivory soap.

After it sets in, i get more bergamot, little more rose, but i find it is very well blended, and it leaves me with a soapy clean innocent feel, not my favorite but super refreshing and good for a lazy sweet summer day

Origin: Straight from the lab in an imp

In the Bottle: Whoa. Something smells...no. That's what me and my friend said when we smelled it, it was just "no." Something is not right to our noses and it scared me off of Alice for a couple of days.

Wet/On the Wrist: So I put on my big girl pants and applied it to my skin despite the bottle smelling horrendous to me. I'm glad I did, because it does not smell so bad on the skin at all. Mostly I'm smelling the milk and honey, which is like a comforting scent. I can see this on me in the winter, wrapped up in a blanket watching movies while it's snowing outside.

Dry: It's soft enough where I have to place my nose to my wrist to smell it. It's a bit spicy, I think the carnations are coming through now so it's a creamy, spicy soft little scent. Not bad at all! Now I see why people enjoy Alice.

In conclusion, I'm glad I skin tested it and didn't let the bottle smell scare me away for too long. It's a cute scent but I don't know if I'd order a bottle of it. I'll wait and see if I end up craving it before I make that decision.

Yet another frimp from my first order. :)

In the bottle: Milk and honey, along with bergamot.

On my skin:Sweet milk'n'honey-ness, with a faint sprinkle of rose powder. It feels very clean and fresh ( and reminds me of those milk and honey soaps.).

Cooldown: The rose fades away after a while and I am left with the milk and honey. At some point an hour or so later I smelled a touch of spicy carnation but it disappeared as well. The bergamot never showed up on my skin, which made me slightly sad because I would have liked to see the blending result of that.

Overall Alice is nice and sweet; simple, clean, innocent.

spicy & lovely; oh, i just adore this. alice is mostly sweetened carnation on me (creating the kind of creamy spiciness one always finds in such yummies as carrot cake), and there is a light, milky sense to it, as opposed to the actual scent of milk, that comes to me before i even have the chance to re-read the description. all in all, alice is sweet, spicy and warm, feminine, innocent and light, absolutely beautiful.

love. love love love.

I've been wanting to try this for a little while due to the milk, honey and rose scents. In the bottle I can smell the flowers that have been dropped into milk laced with honey. This smell exactly like an orange and honey beeswax cream that I own, such a lovely sweet smell! I had a cold when I wore this so I may come back and edit this when I am well and try again. From what I can remember the smell was very nice, light and sweet. A lovely positive smell that wasn't sickly sweet. However it only lasted a couple of hours on me (either that or my cold got worse). I'm looking forward to trying this one again as it is a delightful blend.

Freebie from an order on the forums, the perfume was attached to a card with the note descriptions. I've never seen one of those. :)

It's an innocent milk and honey floral. Neither the carnation nor rose stand out, everything is blended very well. I'm glad the milk note didn't go rancid on my skin like it did with White Rabbit. I can picture "Alice" smelling like this, and I would like this more but my skin ate it up in under a minute.

Edited by mxtine

I would have reviewed this fully, but it ended up with me furiously washing it off after the first thirty seconds after applying. Ever since I tried out Jezebel, I have been SUPER wary of any thing with honey notes. But in light of the honey note in Sibyl working on me, and that Alice is one of "the scents" here apparently, I wanted to at least try.

Nope. Didn't work at all. I could smell the honey going turning bitter and going powdery, which in turn made the bergamot go sour. I didn't want it to have more of a chance to sink into my skin, so... off it went. But I still smell the honey residue left behind and yep... burnt honey and baby powder. Just like with Jezebel. *sigh*