Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

In the imp: Straight up honey!
Wet: Still very much strong honey, but now with other things. Milk, for one. Milky honey - yum! There's also very much a spicy carnation, and maybe a bit of bergamot. Not really getting the rose. At this stage... quite interesting! I see why this is such a popular scent, as it's light and sweet, and I do like it, but so far it's not really "me." Okaaaay, now I'm getting a touch of rose. This is a very creative and interesting combination of notes, and they do blend quite well together. The carnation in here is divine. As it dries more, I'm getting more bergamot, and this starts taking on an Earl Gray tinge. It loses a bit of the spice from the carnation, but not entirely.
Dry: Mmmm... milky, honeyed Earl Gray tea, with just a hint of carnation. Lovely. Reminds me of Sudha Segara a bit, but spicier.

OK, Alice is definitely all about carnations at first. It's spicy and sweet. I didn't know a flower could be this spicy! Very nice.

Later: Why did I wait so long to try this one? I love it!

At the 2 hour mark: It's clean, spicy, sweet… and still pure carnations.

After a few hours: Alice is barely-there, a sweet carnation loveliness.

Alice reminds me a lot of Katrina Van Tassel but with carnation in place of the white rose. It's a subtle sweet-spicy-girly scent, not so much sexy as sweet, even innocent in nature.

I decided to retest this this morning because I was going to get to try Hod Resurrected, and I've seen these two compared! Alice, though, on my first try, was a bit too demure.

Wet: A delicate, pretty scent, light and balanced between crisp and soft. Bergamot, softened with a hint of rose and milk, over a tickle of slightly spicy carnation. Pretty! Makes me think of tea parties.

Dry: It's mostly rose frosting with the faint suggestion of tea from residual bergamot. There's just a trace of honey, which I think is lending a sweet powderiness, but it doesn't go crazy like honey sometimes does on me. Alice smells light, pink, and clean.

Overall: This is such a "cute" smell, I can't imagine it offending anyone. It's delicate and girly, but I'd probably be more enamored if this had more throw and potency. As it stands, I have to slather or huff my wrist to get Alicey goodness.

Edited by tajana

Alice smells like a floral, gentle version of Wolfsbane! I... what? Interesting combination. Perhaps Alice turned into a poisoner when she grew up, on account of all the mind altering substances she ingested as a child.

Wolfsbane mixed with honey and warm water.

I prefer the strength of Wolfsbane but when you're feeling a bit delicate, Alice is definitely the thing.

Oh my, this is gorgeously delicious and decadent smelling! The image I get from this perfume is a spring day, wearing a full skirt with laces and bows, sipping hot tea out of a ornate, floral mug. The bergamont and cream are prominent scents on me, followed by a whisper of the flowers. I imagine dipping a lemon glazed pound cake into Earl Grey, basking in the sunlight with roses in my hair. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

If ever there was a perfume to wear to church on Easter Sunday, this would be it. There is a little sugar, a little spice and the carnation makes everything nice.

If people hadn't praised this as much as they had, I would never have tried it because I dislike milk and rose notes. Milk notes go sour on me and it reminds of baby spit up. Rose smells amazing in flower form and on other people but on me, it's a funeral parlor. So Alice is a huge surprise because I'm not amping rose or spoiled milk. In fact, I can't smell either. The carnation is the dominant note and it's just clean and sweet in the background. Alice definitely had a bubble bath before she was allowed out to play.

A very clean little girl who loves flowers and cake. Love it!

If ever there was a perfume to wear to church on Easter Sunday, this would be it.

Yes.

I swear there's something horribly wrong with me today, I'm going crazy for softer scents, and Alice fits the bill. The bergamot lends a lovely tea-like feel (the suggestion of tea... a little girl pretending to pour tea at her tea party, I guess?) and the milk-and-honey combination, while not so strong, imparts gentle sweetness to back up the overall blend. Rose is mercifully quiet (or absent)--the dominant note is actually carnations on my skin. My imp of Alice was my first encounter with this unexpectedly spicy note, and it describes her character perfectly. ;) Both innocent and mischievous.

Overall, this was mainly milk and carnations; a light pink scent. On most days I kind of dismiss such a thing as far too doll-like and "girly" for me to really enjoy wearing, but this is growing on me. A lot. The more I think about it, the more perfect this set of notes really seems to me. Tea, milk and honey, non-soapy (!) pink flowers... hee! This week I kept reaching for my imp (despite forgetting about her for a few months), and the rapidly dwindling levels of oil inside are probably a good indicator that I should go looking for more. How ironic! I love this.

In the bottle: It’s sweet and flowery. What I smell the most is a mix of milk and honey.

Wet: Initially, Alice is sweetened milk and flowers. I do smell a bit of carnation and bergamot, but not so much rose.

Dry: It’s still sweet and creamy flowers, but a tiny bit spicy (now that’s curious!). There is a little bit of rose hidden underneath the carnation, but it’s really not as strong as I thought it would be from the description.

Verdict: Alice is young and fresh, with a nice feminine touch. Because it reminds me of something edible (tea and cakes, how appropriate…), it’s tempting to describe it as the cousin of Dana O’Shee; or Katrina Van Tassel made better, thanks to carnation and bergamot. Either way, I like it, it will be perfect for spring.

Bottle: Honey, bergamont, and spicy carnation

Wet: Milk and rose join in, but it's still got a major spicy edge from the carnation

Dry: This stays a very cuddly kind of warm on my skin. The honey and carnation are perfect together to keep this from being too twee. The rose is just a background note and the bergamont keeps it bright.

Overall: One of the all-time superstar members of my BPAL arsenal. If I can't think of which I want to wear, odds are I'll throw on Bess or Alice. It's sweet without being cutesy and the carnation is just a really cool note that has made me more charitable toward the flower

Edited by CynicalPink

I never intended to try this. Milk? ew. It almost always smells spoiled on me. Plus, I'm usually not one for the girly, dainty scents.

So I was so surprised to find that I like this. The rose is under control, as is the honey (which I normally amp to the point that it drowns everything else out), and the carnation adds a wonderful spice. It does start out very feminine and slightly tea like, but as it dries it matures a bit, though never to the point of "old lady".

This is really so pretty. I'm shocked to say it might actually be bottle worthy. :wub2:

Very soft, very lovely - all milk and honey with the slightest touch of bergamot on me. Though that might just be in comparison to the steaming mug of Earl Grey currently sitting on my desk.

Not much throw at all, a very up-close-and-personal scent. But it's sweet and comforting and pretty. I don't get much of the rose at all, but that's good because I don't like rose. :lol:

Wet: Hm, powdery. Floral. Got the bergamot for sure.

Drydown: Now I get a powdery milk with the barest hint of carnation and the rose is skipping around-- first in the foreground then the background and all around.

Just a couple of minutes later? Much more rose. Meh. :huh?:

Verdict: Not bad, but not enough of a love to get a bottle.

This is one of the very few rose notes from the Lab I can wear. As far as Alice goes, I have to age her to be able to wear her. (That sounded kind of wrong, didn't it)

When I got fresh Alice last year in my first slew of imps ever, it turned to soap immediately. I gifted it to a friend whose skin chemistry I envy. The lab frimped me Alice in my second order and I packed her away, forgotten for around 6 months.

Afterwards, gorgeous. This is the scent that I wanted when it was on my friend. Aged Alice is amazing. (Alliteration is unintentional) She is creamy and spicy from the milk and carnation. Smooth and sweet from the honey, and not a soapy rose in sight!

I can only wear about 3 perfumes with roses in them to date, but that doesn't stop me from trying. ^_^

There's not much else to say about Alice after the raving that's been going on here ;)

I actually left this to the last of my order of imps while trying them...and now it's the first one I'm going to review! I simply had to.

The reason I left it til last was because in the imp I was assaulted by a really REALLY strong almond/marzipan smell which didn't smell too good to me. But on my skin... oh my! This is simply beautiful, the carnation comes to the fore pretty quickly on me, and stays there until the entire scent disappears (which unfortunately for me is within about 45mins :cry2: ), while throughout there is a lovely sweet milky note behind, which in my mind I can best describe as giving the scent a perfect "roundedness" (if that's even a word!).

As my skin really does eat this up in a matter of minutes, I dismissed it as being gorgeous but impractical really.

But then I found myself reaching for the imp every day, whenever I couldn't decide what to wear, Alice was the one I picked up. I wear it before bed almost every night too, as it's so comforting. So, completely unexpededly, it looks like I'll just have to buy a bottle of this baby!

I can't help but test Alice, even though I know me + rose = bad. Maybe I'll get lucky!

Wet: Bergamot and carnation with a milk base. Mmmm. After a minute or so, I get the honey too.

So far, it seems that the rose is staying under control. I get a little whiff every now and then but nothing like the amp of doom that comes with most rose blends.

I guess I like Alice well enough, but not sure if I need a bottle yet. It seems like a good bedtime scent. I love the combination of carnation and bergamot but I prefer a blend with a lot more throw.

In the imp: Oh mama, it's carnation and honey, two of my favorite notes.

Wet on skin: The rose and bergamot are coming out to play just a tad, but neither of them are amping. The milk is a bit player, keeping the other notes muted and innocent.

Dry on skin: Like many blends with honey, this gets stronger on me with time. The carnation lasts very well, tempered ever so slightly by the milk and the florals. The blend lasted over 12 hours on my first test.

Ever so lovely! I need a bottle, now.

The honey and floral notes are lovely, but the Lab's milk note goes sour on me here. Darn!

I wanted to love Alice. I really did. She's the heroine of the story, after all, and I know how popular this scent is. So I bought an imp of her earlier this year. Fresh from the lab, I couldn't really smell anything. It was very very faint, and while it was reasonably nice (milk and baby powder, as far as I can remember) I decided to shelve her for awhile to see if age made us a better match for each other.

I finally tried her out again today, for no reason other than she was the first imp I saw when I peered blearily into my imp bag first thing this morning. It started out quite well, the milk was still there, and the honey was definitely stronger, so this was promising. Would I turn out to love this? But then... disaster.

I don't mind rose, but rose hates me. As soon as the rose in this blend raised it's ugly head, the scent went straight to soap. And that was all I could smell, for hours. Soap soap soap soap soap.

Now, many many hours later, it does smell nice. Girly, creamy, soft and sweet. But it's ridiculously faint and not something I want to sit through hours of soap smell for. This is what I wished Alice would be, but alas. It seems we're not meant for each other. One day I'll get around to swapping or selling this, or using it to enable a friend. I won't be putting it on my skin again, though.

light creamy florals.. while this didnt smell too promising in the bottle, it blooms lovely on the skin. It doesnt have much throw, but does last a while.

Its a pretty, soft scent.

I had a pretty good idea this wouldn't work on me since milk and honey notes can go very, very wrong. Unfortunately, this was a sickly sweet combo that never got going on my skin :( Rats. Sounds like a lovely scent on others, though!

Imp: I got this as a frimp (thank you, vampkat) and have actually never tried it. Though it was in a rollerball, I could smell the roses and the dreaded milk note. I'm always iffy with the milk/cream notes because my skin can sometimes do some wacky stuff to them.

Wet: Wow! All carnation. Spicy, sharp, with a very small undertone of something creamy.

Dry: I think I love this. It's like carnation and cream, but not the wacky cream my skin sometimes amps. Like a little girl with combat boots.

I may need more of this.

Okay this is my first review...

Got my Imp Ears, and tried out my Alice first.

Imp: My mom and I were both a bit repelled by the intense sickly sweet smell. I was intrigued by it, but my mom wasn't crazy about it at all.

Wet: I tried it on and that intense sweetness faded once on, but still was rather sweet. I couldn't discern any particular notes at this point.

Dry: After I let it sit and dry on me, it really took form into a soft powdery scent, very reminiscent of baby powder on me. My mom and I both liked the way it smelled on me. There was still sweetness there but it wasn't overpowering anymore. it transformed into a powdery combination of rose, carnation and the sweetness from the honey and milk. I love the way it sits on me. And it lasted a long time too, which I was pleased with since I usually have trouble getting scents to stick to me.

Verdict: I don't think this scent is for everyone. Personally, I happen to like the sweeted baby powder smell it transforms to on me. It's not a scent that I would wear everyday... probably only when I was dressed in EGL wear or else in lots of pink. I am going to consider buying a full vial of this.

:wub2:

Right out of the bottle it was "WHOA FLORAL!" Was definitely smelling the rose the most. However I am a floral girl so this was not a problem. I could not smell the milk or honey at all which was a little dissapointing. The bergamont and carnation had taken a back seat but were there.

Immediately after putting it on it was still mostly rose and still no honey or milk. However as the scent dried and was warmed it blossomed into this wonderful lightly sweet floral symphony (my favorite kind!). I could smell the honey now and the carnation and bergamont were more predominate. Milk was still very understated and could really only smell it if I took a big whiff. An absolutely beautiful scent. I will DEFINITELY be ordering a bottle of this one.

In the imp I get a strong whiff of milk and rose!

On my skin, I still get milk and rose, but it's more pleasant and warm. I'm guessing that's the honey! I didn't think I would like this when I first sniffed it, but actually, I quite like it! It reminds me a bit of those milk bottle sweets that you can buy. :D

Drying down, the rose is the most prominent scent, and though I'm not too fond of rose, everything else helps it to balance out nicely.

A nice every day scent!

Edited by redderz

Herbally carnations. There's a slight honey sweetness in the background that is *for once* not taking over everything. It's actually really, really lovely. The milk note gets a bit stronger after about an hour, but it stays pretty much in balance. I can see why this stuff is so popular! It's feminine without being cloying.