Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Going on, Alice is prominently honey, with a slightly spicy, almost citrusy edge. As it begins the drydown process, the floral notes step forward, their sweeter aspects enhanced by the sunny backdrop of honey.

About fifteen minutes in, the honey has somehow transformed into an almost-amber note....upon reflection I believe it to be the combination of the honey with the spiciness of the carnation.

Alice mellows into a nice light, yet long-lived, golden scent. If O is your favorite evening scent, Alice is its daytime counterpart. This oil makes a nice work-appropriate daytime alternative for people who tend to prefer the sultrier, darker musky or resinous oils that may be a little too full-bodied for the typical white-collar environment.

Edited by hadaverde

It took me a long time to order Alice. It was on my wishlist, but I kept putting it off because 1) it was reviewed as a soft scent, and I prefer strong, long-lasting ones and 2) it had roses. But after trying Maiden and loving it, another blend of carnation and rose, I finally had to try Alice.

I really like Alice but I can barely smell it, even in the vial. I detect the milk, honey and carnation, it's really lovely, but so soft I have to put my nose right on my wrist and inhale deeply to get anything. Finally, I tried layering it with Maiden, now that's perfection. It seems I'll always have to have both of them on hand.

Edited by ChupaChup

Alice was my first 10ml purchase, and I bought her without having ever smelled an imp because she sounded so much like me. Milk and honey = <3 My favorite lotion is Burt's Bees milk and honey - which doesn't actually contain either...

Anyway, my Alice appears to have leaked a little, so when I opened the box (actually, even before - the whole thing was saturated) I smelled this dizzyingly sweet, floral scent. I was very intimidated by it at first, but of course that was due to the amount that had leaked into the box.

In the bottle, Alice smells very sickly sweet. Sweeeeeet. The milk undertone makes it smell even more foody, and I couldn't detect any floral.

Initially, I smell honey and a bit of rose - no carnation yet, and the milk goes away almost immediately.

As she dries and wears, the carnation springs up and struggles with the rose a bit for floral supremacy. They come to some kind of peaceful accord under the international governing body of honey, and it is GOOD.

I LOVE ALICE, it's a very bright, feminine scent - but one that the boys love because of the foody notes. I am very pleased that I jumped right into a 10ml of this!

Alice

Preconceived notions: I didn’t think this would be something I would like because I don’t really think of carnation, milk, and rose would make a good combination, even with the honey and bergamot. But, it sounded interesting, and tart said it was like Seraglio, so I decided that it might be very nice.

In the vial: ooh! It does have an almondy-flavor, similar to Seraglio...

On me:

First whiff:

Wow, very soft and pink. And yes, there’s carnation - now I see - it *is* spicy, but still carnation. I’ve never thought of carnations as spicy before. And there’s something herbal and somewhat sharp. I like it! In a minute or so, I think this is even rather elegant, something I wouldn’t have expected from Alice. Though, it’s true, I am getting grass and swing sets. This is a very girly scent. And strangely, I never thought I’d like a ‘girly’ scent, but I really like this.

In around 10 minutes or so, I can say that on me, the carnation really comes out. Which makes me very happy, since I ordered a bottle for a friend of mine who loves carnation (it’s her favorite scent) and also loves Alice in Wonderland. That’s not the only thing - I can smell the bergamot and the honey and milk. Very nicely blended . These notes all seem to bring the best out of each other (unlike my experience with Spellbound, where a bunch of scents I *like* ended up bringing the worst out in each other once they confronted my skin). I also don’t get much rose, which I like. I like rose, but I don’t think a lot of it would be good for this particular blend.

After about 15 minutes: I’m noticing now that it smells sort of like soap - like high quality soap that you just want to luxuriate in for hours. Maybe the milk?

After about half an hour: This is definitely lovely. It’s also very much a ‘curious’ and intriguing scent. Much more mysterious than I had given it credit for upon reading the reviews. There’s the spiciness from the carnation, and the sweetness of the honey mixed in with the rest of the carnation and the bergamot. I’m still not getting much rose, which I still think is good. Very mysterious, very delicate, and absolutely stunning.

Final impressions: This didn’t change much over time, and it’s definitely a keeper. Thanks tart!

Yummy! More carnation. After falling so badly in love with Carnivale`, I decided that I had to smell more carnation laden scents. Alice was not a disappointment. But, where Carnivale` had a dark, spicey carnation smell-along with berries and amber-Alice is pink. Pink, pink, and more pink, Alice smells like a cooler in a florist's shop. Prom flowers, floral carnation bouquets, you get the idea, and that's what Alice smells like. It's the first one that smells the same in the vial as it does on my skin. It doesn't change at all, just tones down and fades out-though it's got nice enough lasting power. Alice is a curious and delightful winner. She's quite highly wench approved!

It's not too carnation-laden for me, I don't think-- it's definitely far in the background. It's very much a honey scent and is very, very similar to Jezebel to my nose; I like how the honey in this one seems even stronger, and yet I miss the sandalwood in Jezebel. I do want to find a good honey scent, but I don't think this one is quite it, yet.

Edited to add: I do believe I've changed my mind as I've continued to wear the Imp. It's not a dry honey-- Jezebel brings to mind Kama Sutra's honey dust, actually-- rather, this is a very wet, soft honey, and it's grown on me exponentially. I'll get a big bottle of this.

Edited by Azrhiaz

Wet: a well balanced blend of spicy florals and mild milky sweetness. At this point, I think the milk and carnation are the predominant notes. The honey in this is quite different from the other honeyed BPAL blends. Instead of an intense "honey" smell, there is a soft dash of warm sugar (as if a small dollop of honey had been stirred into milky tea).

Dry (10 min): The milk has fallen into the background, causing the blend to lose something of its original sweetness. The carnation has stepped forward, increasing the floral spiciness of this scent. The blend has also started to take on a distinct powdery quality, which is most likely the rose beginning to make its appearance. It's as if the little girls have stopped having tea and have started playing dress up.

Dry (45 min): The milk is all but gone, while the scent of carnations has gained stupendous strength. A powdery rose, vying for attention, also makes its presence known. From time to time, I think I can catch a whiff of the honey note, though it is quite light, well blended, and also rather powdery (making it difficult to distinguish from the rose). I imagine a room with a vase of carnations tipped over on a small white table, loose powder, play jewelry, and old dresses lay strewn about.

In the end: If you enjoy powdery florals, you'll like this. If you enjoy the scent of carnations, you'll like this. As for me, I wish it had remained truer to its wet phase.

Drat....I really wanted to get carnations in Alice, but for me it's all honey, amber and...caramel? Not that those notes are bad! I was just imagining this would be a bit more milky-floral on my skin.

As others have noted, this is a very golden blend.

The drydown is quite powdery for me. I'm planning to mix Alice with some lotion and apply it that way...it's just a wee bit too ambery/sweet for me to wear straight.

When I got here, I noted how popular Alice was but thought that it sounded too little-girl sweet. I got it as a freebie and was smitten. At first it goes on like honey and milk with just a dab of floral - it reminded me of what I hoped Dana O'Shee would be on me. Eventually the carnation came through but not to an obnoxious extent. This kind of reminds me of how a freshly-bathed baby smells, innocent and angelic and sweet. This is the perfect light, clean scent for daytime, the office, or just hanging around - when you want to smell nice but not suggestive. :P This went on my big bottle list immediately.

I've tried this imp a couple of times and it smells completely different to me this time. The weather? My body chemistry? My nose?

WET: The first time I smelled my imp of Alice, I was struck by the "sour milk" note. Now I get a little honey, some spice, and a light floral.

UPON APPLICATION: The honey jumps up -- I think I need to try more scents with this note. Then the florals start to pop out. Unfortunately, I don't smell bergamot at all. The sweet honey smell almost immediately fades, replaced by a combination of rose and baby powder.

DRYDOWN: It loses the sweetness and gets more and more powdery. The rose becomes stronger. Strong to the point of being cloying - weird because I love rose.

I'm still not sure about this one. I have another rose scent I love (Old London) and the powdery note makes this a little to "girly" for me, I think.

In the bottle Alice smells really sweet. I smell honey and almonds - for some reason :D

On first application it's still quite sweet but the florals start to come through.

As it dries down the florals get even stronger but it's flowers drenched in honey. I don't smell the milk, really. I think my body chemistry likes the mix of florals and honey. I just discovered Tiger Lily and now Alice. Yum! It works really well and my boyfriend seems to like them as well :P

So, Alice a winner for me. Very yummy and very me! Sweet and floral.

This is my second review and I'm still pretty new at this, but this scent was so emotionally tender, I couldn't help but post something about it.

In the bottle, I get a very strong carnation smell. Sweet, slightly spicey.

On, however, I get a very milky/sweet honeyed carnation. As it dried down, it kept the milky carnation smell. The bergamot never really materialized for me. It was, however, LOVELY!

This reminds me of my sweet little four year old daughter playing at being grown-up. Puttering about the living room in an oversized "lady-like" hat perched precariously on her little red head. Muttering to herself while she's pouring tea for teddy with my pink lipstick smeared on her cute little cupid's bow mouth. Smiling, buttercream frosting smeared across her face (and sundress) after her brother's birthday party.

However, I think it's just too girlish and sweet for me. I am just too darn jaded for this scent. But, I'll be keeping an imp on hand for her to wear when she feels like playing grown-up and needs a little "pick-me-up". Her words, not mine.

Sometimes sweet, sometimes spicy, always very warm. Usually like spicy warm milk. Very childish and cozy. I probably am very emotionally immature, so it fits me well. The scent that's on my shirt comes out more spicy than what's on my skin.

EDIT: After wearing Brisingam, I realize the carnation is what I smell most. Here it has more of an antique feel, like a doll discovered in an attic.

Edited by evil_laugher

I have come to the conclusion that I have no ability to describe scents, but I will say that Alice is my favorite and I'm rationing my imp so it will last until my 10mL bottle arrives.

It's very sweet on me, but floral sweet rather than sugar sweet (like Lush Rock Star soap or Creamy Candy Bath, neither of which I like), and it dries to a honeylike powdery scent. I layered it over Lush Potion and that adds to the carnation and helped it last longer. (Also, I think I mixed the body spray too weak. Must make it stronger next time.) I didn't get much bergamot at all, which is all right because I'm not generally a fan of bergamot. I want my whole life to smell like Alice.

in the bottle: I smell bees! First impression was just that. The honey and rose stands out, though a delicate lightly golden honey, the kind where you can still smell the pollen of the flowers which it was made from. I see 3 plump honey bees sitting on a checked red and white blanket having a picnic amidst roses under the early afternoon sun. Pink roses and some of the lighter red ones, as the rose smell isn't deep and dusky as normal dark roses.

wet: The milk is slowly wafting out. It's as if Alice is sitting amongst the bees, her napkin spread on her lap. The smell of her hair and skin catch the breeze and mingle with the roses. The smell is so golden and straw colored, I can see her shiny hair hanging down her back. The under current of carnation comes just under the surface in a delicate way, as if it's the remnants of the pollen left on the bellys of the bees ((of course, along with some crumbs from cookies))

dry down: so light and pleasant without being overpowering, the bergamot flows in and out, as if being carried on the wind through the rose bushes. The milk and honey still heady and softly warm and glowing.

I love Alice, the scent so definitely warm and happy you can almost feel the playful conversation and giggling. When I can I may purchase a 5 ml of this the oil itself is clear, no real coloring to it.

In the bottle: More carnation. Also, what does bergamot smell like? If it's that top note in the bottle, then I'm avoiding it. This smells...I don't know. I had imagined that Alice would be a much calmer scent than this, something oddly refined but childlike a the same time. And while this is kinda like that, it's also really rather spicey.

Wet: I can smell a little bit of the honey but the carnation and maybe the spicey bergamot seems to be the most prevalent. There's some of the milk and , yes, as it dries it seems to soften a little and I like it more.

Dry down: Milk and honey with just a touch of spice. This smells like arrowroot cookies dipped in tea. Really rather lovely now that it's on my skin and has calmed down a little. The bergamot and the carnation provide a little bit of spice to something that would otherwise run the risk of bordering on bland.

Dry: This dries pretty fast. In fact, I'm racing to get all the stages written down before they pass me by. It's a little spicer and a little less milky now, but you can still detect the milk and honey notes. What this really reminds me of is chai tea. A good cup of chai tea made from real tea leaves and milk. (An Indian friend treated me to jus such a cup while I was at college. I've been hooked and unable to find anything that truely pleases me since.) Yep, chai in milk. Kinda sassy, kinda spicey but also creamy and lovely and yum. The dry stage is so totally worth the rest. I don't know how often I'll wear it or if I'll need a bigger bottle, but I am glad that I have this. As it settles more, the rose starts to show a little around the edges, but the carnation/bergamot is coming back out. Sadness. Suddenly it's rose again. This keeps changing. I'll have to keep it around for more test drives. Uh oh, either Alice or the mixture of all the scents in my room is given me a headache.

Alice is very nice, although not quite as strong as I would like. I think I like scents with a lot of oomph, but the gentle sweetness of Alice is very pleasant. I was worried that the carnation would be too powerful, but it's just a nice little kick to the sweet honey and cream-ness of the rest of the scent. I don't pick out much bergamot, but I wasn't looking for it.

After reading all of the reviews here, I was afraid Alice was going to be way too sweet for me. In fact, I don't find it to be overwhelmingly sweet at all, at least, not in the way that Dana O'Shee was for me. The prominent note is the rose, but it's softened by a creamy smell which I'm guessing is the milk and there is a hint of the carnation in the background. I can't smell any of the honey, which is probably good in this case, since I think that would make it too sweet.

I cannot sing the praises of "Alice" enough. It is simply goregous. It's very feminine..girlie. The milk brings out the goregousness of the tea. This is the smell of pure innocence.... <sigh> :P :D :D

I got Alice as a gift imp and am delighted with it.

At first it smells very very sweet. I'm overwhelmed with the honey. On my skin the florals pop out, rose with honey and a little back end carnation. It's really not my favorite group of scents at first, but not something that is too off putting to deal with. As it begins to dry down the spiciness of the carnations really comes forward and eventually I end up with a very soft hazy (the milky smell probably) lightly floral spiciness with a veil of honey over top that I adore. I'm going to have to get a bottle of this I think. It doesn't strike me as at all innocent in the end. :P

Bah! Damn you, skin, and your love for roses! While this is nice, I do wish the non-rose notes came out more.

I smell primarily roses on myself with a little bit of milk and carnation beneath. When I first put it on I smell a small dab of honey, but it quickly fades. What I'm left with is a lightly, lightly spiced girly floral with a very slight creaminess. Not a typical floral at all, which is nice. It is rather innocent- too innocent for my usual preferences, so this isn't going to be my signature. This is the kind of fragrance you wear in the summer when you have a sundress on. I think I may order a bottle of this, because it's my new favorite BPAL rose (replacing Persephone) and I'm obsessed with Alice in Wonderland.

i LOVE alice!!!!!!!!

it smells incredibly like burt's bees "milk and honey" body lotion.. yum yum yum..

very innocent and sweet...milk and honey with a touch of carnation and floral spice. its lovely and very light.

i tried it at black broom one day and its all i could think about in the weeks since... now i have an imp of my very own to tide me over till i get my big bottle :P

In the vial I can smell the milk and honey. on my skin honey, and a little carnation, with the bergamot hovering in the background. After a little while a tiny bit of the rose starts to peak out, this could mean the end of Alice for me...as I seem to turn rose into powder. Sometimes I don't like my skin chemistry :P

Milk and carnation are my two favorite notes, so I had to give this blend a try. When wet, the bergamot and rose are the strongest notes on me but the blend is quite light all together. The rose is softened and almost creamy, which I am guessing is the effect of the milk. The bergamot makes this clean and almost sharp at first. Carnation and honey are in the background. It feels very pink to me and I agree that it suits Alice’s character perfectly.

I wore it as a bedtime scent and fell asleep before I could smell what it was like as it dried down.. When I wore it again I found that the scent actually fades rather quickly on me. The lingering hints of it were the soft creamy rose, pleasant but almost too much like a hand cream I used long ago. This would probably work well in a lotion.