Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
autumn24

Alice

Curiouser and curiouser. Milk and honey with rose, carnation and bergamot.

IN THE IMP: Creamy, sweet florals, with something powdery and spicy, which I guess is the carnation.

WET: Slightly spicy florals with a hint of creaminess to them.

DRY: Rose and carnation. It smells like Maiden, except a tad sweeter. While I like Maiden, I have no need for another imp of it.

Marzipan. Yup, I smelled this and said 'This smells precisely like battenburg cake'. In the bottle this is marzipan all the way, and while wet. However, almost immediately it changes to being a slightly heady, innocent light little floral. I can definitely smell the carnation, which is nice, as I like carnations. The milk doesn't seem to make much of an impact, but the honey and bergamot blend prettily. Very appropriate for Alice, I suspect overall, though a bit faint (I ended up slathering this on because it went over my fingers when I opened the imp, and I can hardly smell it). As it dries and warms up, I can smell the honey a lot, but tempered slightly by the florals, so it's just on the verge of being overpowering. The milk may even occasionally come into play at this point, just as a background warm, comfortable scent. Like warm milk, where it gets slightly sweeter.

EDIT to add: It's weird but I keep catching the scent of this randomly and it really reminds me of soap, like nice, vaguely sweet soap. Very clean smelling. This fades loads after a while but is very pretty.

Edited by Magpie

I adore Alice. It layers well with my favorite Lush products, because to my nose, if you slapped Snowcake and Potion together, you'd get Alice.

And it becomes even more glorious as it ages.

I like this a surprising amount.. I normally head towards very spicy or 'sexy' smelling BPAL, but I really do like this. To me it smells clean and very slightly spicy. Its the sort of thing I might wear in the summer if I wanted to feel clean or floaty..

Alice smells like lemon-powdery nothing on me...there's something floral, but then the whole scent fades away almost immediately. Hours later I can smell...rose powder, very faint. This scent does nothing for me...how disappointing.

In the bottle: predominantly rose, but not one that's overpowering.

Wet on skin: Oh my! This is actually a rose that I can wear, and not smell like a chapel. What's this? Oh yeah, there's milk and bergamot in this too.

Dry down: Yes, I do get the innocence of the scent; it's very soft and delightful. I ended up wearing it to bed, because it's like a gentle hug. :P

I got this one for my sister (she is a huge fan of Alice in Wonderland) but decided I needed to test it myself before handing it over :P

On me it dried down to a very light scent. Creamy-honey, with just a bit of spice to it from the rose. Definitely a very soft, innocent and cheery scent. It's not very me, but I just know my sister is going to love it :D

Edit: Just as I thought, my sister adores it, and on her the florals are much more noticeable. Also, is there catnip as a hidden ingredient in this? My cat just spent the past minute or so licking my wrist.

Edited by SilverSerenity

At first, I didn't like Alice. But now that my imp has aged, it's gone from an almost sour milk note to creamy carnation. The rose is just perfect. Wishing I'd bought a bottle a year ago so I could be enjoying aged Alice now.

I really love this scent. I don't get anything strong like cherries or almonds but it's a blended bit of goodness. I get a creamy note that makes everything melty and warm. I like lighter scents and this is a good one. Does this have rose in it??? If it does, it's not Ew rose as I hate rose and it amps on me. Alice is a scent for everyone to try!

In the imp: Almond? Cherries? Florals? Did I get the wrong scent?

Wet: Nope, it's Alice alright. It's vague, lotion-y, with roses? I think I smell roses.

Drying: Roses but oh so faint! Oh Alice I'd like you better if I could smell you more! There's the powder and lotion that I think might be the milk, but the roses are getting amped (if this scent could BE amped considering how faint it is on my skin) and the other scents are faintly lotion-y and almost not there at all!

Dry-fade: I'm so sad. This scent is deliciously sweet and girlish and innocent and you can hardly smell it at all. Is my nose just dead or does my body chem just kill this pretty scent? If it was stronger or had a better throw it'd be perfect! I'll try this again later and see if it gets better because now I'm dying for a bottle and it's too faint to tell just yet!

Later: I can still smell it faintly, it lasts a long long time, there just isn't all that much throw. And when I say a long time I mean I put it on last night around 6:30, and I can still smell it on my wrists more than 12 hours later. Yes some of that time was spent sleeping but that's a long time isn't it?

Edited by amnerine

It's been described a lot but here is my addition:

At first it's a really lovely, innocent and cute scent. Sweet, creamy, honeyed carnation.

Then it dries down to something a lot more powdery, still sweet, pink, and pretty, but kind of plasticky and fake-smelling too. :P

I don't hate it or anything, it just smells very powdery all of a sudden, and I agree that it's reminiscent of some familiar lotion, or something from LUSH.

It's the kind of thing my sister likes, I think I'll give her the imp. Glad to have tried it though, and the scent fits the character of Alice in mood, it just doesn't really fit me apparently.

Edited by Browneyes

This is so odd. My mind understands that Alice smells good, but something about it creeps me out. It's soft and snuggly -- like a well-worn sweater, but it's almost too sweet, too comfortable. I have no idea why I'm so weirded out by this, and deep down, I know it's a nice scent, but it's just not working out. Hunh. I don't even know how to rate this one. I guess a 3/5, with misgivings.

ETA: In the search for work appropriate scents, I tried this one again and liked it a lot better. This time, the carnation and rose came out and they really made a difference - this is very comforting now. I'll bump it up to 4/5.

Edited by inurbanus

In the imp: Creamy and a little floral.

Wet: Carnation with a bit of rose. A hint of bergamont, but not very much. Very creamy, but the honey stands out more than the milk.

Dry: Lots of rose and lots of honey. Very powdery. Very.

Overall: Seems more suited for a child, but it's a cute, playful scent that I'll experiment more with (I'll let it age and see what happens with her).

I can see why so many people like this. It's a very nice, lightly floral, lightly foody scent. Very unobtrusive and comforting. I put it on, and thought "this will be a nice addition to my daytime and work scent options"....

Then the rose powder. Drat and double drat! It also faded really quickly. Now, a while later, I don't really smell the powder anymore, but I don't smell a lot of anything... just vaguely sweet.

I may hang onto my imp, but I'm sad I can't share in the greater Alice love on this forum.

This has been on my list to try since I started bpal! I want to love this so much, but I don't always do well with rose or the lab's carnation...

I like this in the imp though-creamy, honeyed florals.

Hmm. This is nice on, but also, a bit odd. There's something a bit plastic-y that will hopefully fade. I saw another reviewer mention that this smelled like marzipan and that is definitely what it smells like to me! I am going to give this a bit of time to mellow and see how it morphs.

Okay, I am very torn on this. On one sniff I love it, it's a wonderful sweet carnation (somewhat similar to Lush's Potion), on another sniff it's the plastic smell of My Little Ponies....

Damn, nope, this isn't going to work on me. On full drydown it loses it's fresh sweetness and becomes kind of sour and dusty smelling...so bizarre. Almost like the milk note soured or something. Gonna have to pass this one on and go for Potion when I need a carnation fix :P

in bottle & wet on skin: something almost marzipan about this, but really sweet, I'm guessing carnation and honey combination; then the rose comes out, then the milk and bergamot.. and then it was just a light rose scent - it's definitely nice, but to me was a bit more of a common scent than i expected

i've been trying too many amazing bpal scents lately, my expectations have gone through the roof :P

I really, really wanted to love this scent. First, it was straight up carnation with a hint of sweetness, not really my cup of tea. Then, the milk came through mixed with honey and now I have a fake smelling vanilla candle scent lingering on my skin. Blah.

After popping open the imp, there is creamy almond and fruit - I think of petit fours with rich buttercream frosting and fluffy strawberry filling. This amps immediately on the skin, with the fruitiness spiking and becoming more tart - no longer creamy strawberry, this is morphing into cherry-lemon preserves. There is a rind-like scent which keeps reminding me of something bitter. The scent itself is not, but the right elements are there to create a bitter "phantom scent" to my nose. Is that the milk? I don't know much about milk notes, and this is the first one I have tried which has it. The creamy note I noticed right away seems to have morphed and blended with the lemon to create something...weird.

Not too surprising - add some lemon juice to some cream and see what happens!

Alice's drydown goes VERY floral on me. I am getting strong rose-scented talc. Almost baby powder but not quite.

Alice is not a bad, but my skin and nose just don't mesh well with her.

I received this as an imp from a Snake Circle decant Yay! I've been wanting to try this, as carnation is one of the few florals that I actually like. Right from the bottle, I smell it and Yes, this is the scent I've been looking for. Within a few few moments to drying, it turns soapy, and only slightly sweet to me, not foody at all IMO. For awhile, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what this scent reminded me of, and after awhile, I got it. I have a IOE body gloss that is a dupe of Lush's "Got Milk?", and this is an almost dead ringer to it. While I like this scent, and may buy a bottle in the future, it is not a "must have" scent at this point in time. I'll see how the imp ages, and take it from there.

Wet in imp:

mmmm… like Dana O'Shee in a flower shop

Wet on skin:

the floral notes are developing more

Drydown:

soft, clean floral with a touch of milky baby powder (but not in a bad way)

This is a really good one. It's clean and girly, and smells like Dana O'Shee with roses and a touch of carnation.

At first the rose is very strong and sweet like a little girl's perfume but after a few minutes it settles down and lets the other notes come out...odd spicy carnation...bright sharp bergamot and the smooth milk and honey to blend them together. A big winner to me...I love carnation in almost anything.

I thought I had reviewed this, so Mods, feel free to correct me.

Bottle: Rose and carnation.

Wet: Wow, the rose hasn't amped on me yet. I'm getting lemon and carnation, a very nice combination.

Drydown: Finally, a rose I can wear. Yay! I love it, the lemon and the florals are so nice.

3.5 outta 5

Alice makes me feel innocent and pure and I want to drink milk and honey like the first notes I smell in the imp and in the wet phase, but, alas, they are nowhere to be found in my kitchen! And then, the carnations and roses start to dance in my wrists, and the great floral hater in me calms down and finally smiles at this delicate blooming! :P I can't believe I like Alice so much, but it will be a keeper forever and ever, even after waking up in the grass and going back home!

The wet phase is so scrumptious that I keep reapplying it, also because the throw is minimal on me.

Starts off light, and never seems to get stronger. Even while its wet I am forgetting that I am even wearing it, as it does dry though I smell baby powder and milk. Honestly it never really does anything more on me and while its not a horrible scent, its just not anything special and not something I would buy a big bottle of.

Though this might be good as a spray for like pillows and whatnot

it s an amazing innocent but naughty scent, just like how the girl really was! :D

exciting but classical too..

truly an Alice wordly name for this scent, I ladore it as much as the story itself :P

*big bottle needed*