Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Trish

Looking for any Harry Potter scent recommendations

Well, Fred and George must smell only of mischief; opened candy wrappers, butterbeer, and a hint of parchment as the marauders map has once again been managed.

I imagine Luna would smell of fairy dust, cinnamon, books, and feet, since her shoes are always being taken :lol:

This thread seems awesome and I look forward to reading others comments!

Thanks, DH! I agree with you on those points :) do you think either of the scent note groups you've come up with translate closely to existing BPAL perfumes?

Snape smells of herbs and oils and incenses and dust from his Potions room and classroom

McGongall smells of baddassery! ;) She smells of books, and perhaps a touch of wax, and maybe some smoke from the time she said boom!

Now....the Great Hall....can you imagine how the Great Hall would smell? Pumpkin juice and candle wax, polished wood, yummy sweets and treats and a feast!

Hermione, or maybe even Luna, would maybe smell like Clio?

I could also see Gryffindor smelling like Tintagel.

And somehow Snape could smell like Ichabod Crane! It's probably the black wool that makes me think of him, but it would also fit a little with the tea with cream. Or Severin, which is basically earl grey and leather. Snape ought to wear black leather, right? :P

Dolores Umbridge would maybe smell like Pickman: Love - sugared strawberry marshmallow! :D Or that could be the scent of the Hogsmeade café where Harry and Cho goes on a date (can't remember the name).

Dumbledore would smell like Scholar's Tower, with the gleaming amber spheres for his phoenix!

Hagrid might smell like Hoggle (Fermented pumpkin, brown leather, dust, tobacco leaf, and dark woods)

I thought The Other Miss Spink would be perfect for Umbridge (a sticky sweet, cobwebby, and grotesque tuberose gardenia with a splash of tea and biscuits)

And Famine (from the Neil Gaiman series) would work beautifully for Lucius Malfoy (Sleek black tea, tobacco leaf, frankincense, lilac, and white musk)

I'm putting together gifts with a Harry Potter theme for some friends, and are there any scents that remind you of any of the Houses? Especially Slytherin and Hufflepuff. Thanks!

Snake Oil or any of the Snake Pit would be an obvious choice for Slytherin! Or maybe Coiled Serpent or Serpent's Kiss?

For Hufflepuff maybe either Badger or Badgers? Or how about "Against Idleness and Mischief"? ha ha

For Ravenclaw there's Raven Moon, The Raven, Night Raven. Or you could rift on their studious nature with something like Scholar's Tower, or The Manuscript.

I'm going for the low-hanging fruit with the really obvious name tie-ins. ha ha ha If you want to get more esoteric and less literal, I like a lot of the golden, amber-based scents for Gryffindor, like Lyoness or Bastet -- or hell, The Lion, which would be fitting both from an obvious name tie-in, and also the more abstract "feels golden" sense.

Edited by whoahorsey

Villain for Slytherin not just because of the Death-Eaters and their kind, but because I find it a very regal, refined scent. Like old money, hunger for power. Highwayman and Kataniya the Clockwork Woman also seem appropriate to me.

Hufflepuff, something herbaceous (for the herbology aspect), friendly and comforting. Alecto? Baba Yaga? Aureus? The Apothecary? Death Cap? Probably quite a few in the Rappaccini's line.

Ravenclaw I think should be a studious scent with parchment and soft book leather. Maybe even candlewax. I'm definitely biased because I'm a Ravenclaw, but The Light of Men's Lives and Philologus are some of my picks.

(Luna Lovegood is a Ravenclaw, and I could see her wearing something lavender based like Somnus, or Cheshire Cat or something intriguing like Tis The Voice of the Lobster)

Gryffindor would be a golden warm, bold scent, always up for adventure. Maybe Coyote? My Gryffindor friend loves Satyr, if that means anything. I second the recommendation for Lyonesse.

I'm sure I'll come back to this thread with ideas, I'm kind of a Potterhead haha

Edited by madscientistdh

The Raven for Ravenclaw is a little too obvious and weird (their mascot is the Eagle, not the Raven) but it does have Iris in it. I like Sheol, for Iris and Lily, but there is no knowledge or wisdom there according to the description.

Maybe something with Air or Wind in it? Snow White/2013 seems like a good contender. Sea of Glass is worth a look too, almost all of the tags remind me of Ravenclaw. Spiritual is iffy?

I'd definitely be tempted to go full gourmand for Hufflepuffs, but going into the Garden makes more sense for them. Wheat for their house colors, soil for their earth affinity, stuff like that. Honey makes sense to me as well, their house colors being Black & Yellow. Doozers from Fraggle Rock actually seems perfect for a Hufflepuff. The scent of industrious cooperation: glittering crystals, soft soil, and radish dust.

Gryffindors... is there any other scent than Fire Phoenix? :lol: (I don't much like this House.)

If I were going with Snakes, I'd choose King Cobra for Slytherin. It is a very proud and dark snake. I think Water Snake would be too floral. Cottonmouths are a type of Water Moccasin, so that could be a more feminine spin on a Slytherin.

The Raven for Ravenclaw is a little too obvious and weird (their mascot is the Eagle, not the Raven) but it does have Iris in it. I like Sheol, for Iris and Lily, but there is no knowledge or wisdom there according to the description.

True, I totally forgot that their mascot is the Eagle, probably since that never made any sense to me. ha ha ha Ravens are way smarter than eagles. They even use tools! But I digress... ;)

Doozers does sound pretty perfect for Hufflepuff.

Thread necromancy for any Umbridge recommendations! I'm dressing as her for a Halloween party. I feel like it ought to be something kind of evil, but that someone of her tastes would see as ladylike. I'm kind of stuck on Wicked at the moment, but any other ideas would be welcome! Maybe even Lucille Sharpe, but I think Lucille might be offended. :laugh:

Thread necromancy for any Umbridge recommendations! I'm dressing as her for a Halloween party. I feel like it ought to be something kind of evil, but that someone of her tastes would see as ladylike. I'm kind of stuck on Wicked at the moment, but any other ideas would be welcome! Maybe even Lucille Sharpe, but I think Lucille might be offended. :laugh:

Maybe layering something pink and sugary over something a little more sinister? The first thing I thought of for her was High-Strung Daisies

Maybe layering something pink and sugary over something a little more sinister? The first thing I thought of for her was High-Strung Daisies

Ack, I think I had High-Strung Daisies long ago, but swapped it away. Not sure I really have much in the way of sugary scents in general, other than maybe Midnight on the Midway.

Edited by lady_pandora

Ack, I think I had High-Strung Daisies long ago, but swapped it away. Not sure I really have much in the way of sugary scents in general, other than maybe Midnight on the Midway.

Hmm maybe something with roses, like Sin layered with rose. Or maybe a tea scent?

I'd go something like Poisoned Apple or Goblin Market - scents that are fruity/floral but with a resinous edge. And depending on what you amp, Villain or A Countenance Forboding Evil might work too, if you amp floral enough that it masks the evil.

Or layer something sinister with le fleurs du mal, because that is (while I love it) the perfect little old lady posset scent. My mom said that and lives for it tbh.

I'd go something like Poisoned Apple or Goblin Market - scents that are fruity/floral but with a resinous edge. And depending on what you amp, Villain or A Countenance Forboding Evil might work too, if you amp floral enough that it masks the evil.

Or layer something sinister with le fleurs du mal, because that is (while I love it) the perfect little old lady posset scent. My mom said that and lives for it tbh.

I do have Poisoned Apple! It's an old fave of mine, too, so that's a good idea.

That sounds like a brilliant costume! I want to suggest The Other Miss Spink - from Coraline - an over the top tuberose gardenia with tea and biscuit crumbs gone cobwebby and grotesque. I haven't actually smelled this but it sounds perfect for Umbridge!

That sounds like a brilliant costume! I want to suggest The Other Miss Spink - from Coraline - an over the top tuberose gardenia with tea and biscuit crumbs gone cobwebby and grotesque. I haven't actually smelled this but it sounds perfect for Umbridge!

Oh, man, that does sound perfect! So many smellies I've never tried! :cry2: Maybe I'll get something perfect in my frimps today too (squee, I have an order Out for Delivery)!

ETA: Oh my, what about Tyrannophobia? It has the advantage of me already having it, and it's mostly raspberry (i.e. pink) but also has tea and also is sinister! She's certainly tyrannical in her little fiefdom...

Edited by lady_pandora

Oh, man, that does sound perfect! So many smellies I've never tried! :cry2: Maybe I'll get something perfect in my frimps today too (squee, I have an order Out for Delivery)!

ETA: Oh my, what about Tyrannophobia? It has the advantage of me already having it, and it's mostly raspberry (i.e. pink) but also has tea and also is sinister! She's certainly tyrannical in her little fiefdom...

That sounds PERFECT!

That sounds PERFECT!

The party was this past Saturday and I did go with Tyrannophobia! It's not very strong on me, so I doubt anyone else smelled it, but it helped me get into the spirit of things! And everyone loved--or at least rightfully shuddered at, lol--my nauseatingly pink ensemble.