Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Trish

Looking for any Harry Potter scent recommendations

So I'm trying to put together an imp (or decant) pack for a friend, who is not into BPAL but is into Harry Potter. We've never actually met in person (not yet!) so I have no idea what type of scents she prefers, what she smells like, etc--what I'm looking to collect for her would be scents that are evocative of the series (or parts of the series), but also possibly good for someone new to BPAL. So they don't have to be all universal crowd-pleasers, but maybe one or two, at least.

I actually went through this entire thread a couple of weeks ago and put every blend suggested for every aspect of Harry Potter into a spreadsheet... I've been meaning to organize it and post it here but I just haven't had time. (New house, lots of cleaning and painting, sigh.) I'll try to get that up soon for you!

In the meantime, I have to suggest No. 93 Engine - to me, the scent of Dumbledore's office. It's so warm and comforting, which immediately makes me think of Dumbledore, plus the steampunk aspect reminds me of all the little gadgets and gizmos he always had scattered around. If your friend is a Dumbledore fan (like I am!), I'd definitely say get some No. 93 Engine for her.

So I'm trying to put together an imp (or decant) pack for a friend, who is not into BPAL but is into Harry Potter. We've never actually met in person (not yet!) so I have no idea what type of scents she prefers, what she smells like, etc--what I'm looking to collect for her would be scents that are evocative of the series (or parts of the series), but also possibly good for someone new to BPAL. So they don't have to be all universal crowd-pleasers, but maybe one or two, at least.

I actually went through this entire thread a couple of weeks ago and put every blend suggested for every aspect of Harry Potter into a spreadsheet... I've been meaning to organize it and post it here but I just haven't had time. (New house, lots of cleaning and painting, sigh.) I'll try to get that up soon for you!

In the meantime, I have to suggest No. 93 Engine - to me, the scent of Dumbledore's office. It's so warm and comforting, which immediately makes me think of Dumbledore, plus the steampunk aspect reminds me of all the little gadgets and gizmos he always had scattered around. If your friend is a Dumbledore fan (like I am!), I'd definitely say get some No. 93 Engine for her.

Oh fabulous! I would love to see that list :D And maybe take some for myself ;) No. 93 Engine is interesting--I'll definitely try to get my hands on one myself!

I think the Godfather Death scents from Marchen wouldn't be too much of a stretch for the Hallows:

Godfather Death: Olibanum, elemi, Bulgarian rose, yew, and oppoponax.

Thy Godfather's Present: A bruised purple bundle of herbs with hyssop and life-everlasting.

The Lights of Men's Lives: The wax and smoke of millions upon millions of candles illuminating the walls of Death's shadowy cave: some tall, straight, and strong, blazing with the fire of life, others dim and guttering.

Haha I'm feeling a bit worried that there will be too many wolfy scents though!

Too... too many wolfy scents?

I'm sorry, that doesn't compute :lol: *hugs bottles of wolfy scents close* :D

Haha I'm feeling a bit worried that there will be too many wolfy scents though!

Too... too many wolfy scents?

I'm sorry, that doesn't compute :lol: *hugs bottles of wolfy scents close* :D

:lol: Well, I hope she doesn't have exactly the same tastes that I do, then! Usually darker scents are a no go for me--tried out WILF and it wasn't for me :( but it's a good 50/50 chance she will like what y'all like ^_^

I just wore Liz to see HP 7.2 - I pretended it was probably how Hermione smelled after the battle of Hogwarts!

All right, here we go! Every blend suggested for every aspect of Harry Potter, up until this post... plus some of my own I've just thrown in now.

GENERAL

MISCELLANEOUS

Anathema (Death Eaters)

Arcana

Asphodel

Bewitched

Black Forest

Blue Moon

Boomslang

Dormouse, The

Dragon's Blood

Dragon's Hide

Feeding the Dead (Deathday party)

Ghost, The

Hecate

Hellcat

Incantation

Jack

Jack

Jester (Weasley's Wizard Wheezes)

Les Fleurs du Mal

London

Magus

Mandrake

Mania

Midnight Mass

Miskatonic University

Obsidian Widow, The

Ouija

Penny Dreadful

Poisoned Apple

Pumpkin Queen

Punkie Night

Red Lantern

Red Queen, The

Selkie

Serpent's Kiss

Serpents With Glittering Eyes and Forky Tongues (Parseltongue)

Snake Charmer (Parselmouths)

Snake Oil

Theodosius, the Legerdemain

Thirteen '07

Troll

Unicorn, The

Yew Trees

Yvaine

POTIONS

Apothecary, The

Belladonna

Bezoar

Black Hellebore

Boomslang

Mandrake

Wolfsbane

MAGICAL ITEMS

Archangel Winter (The Mirror of Erised)

Godfather Death (The Deathly Hallows)

Great Sword of War, The (The sword of Gryffindor)

Hand of Glory

House of Mirrors (The Mirror of Erised)

Lady of Shalott, The (The Mirror of Erised)

Lights of Men's Lives, The (The Deathly Hallows)

Phoenix Steamworks (Golden Snitch)

Sea of Glass (The Mirror of Erised)

Shrunken Heads

Spirits of the Dead (The veil)

Thy Godfather's Present (The Deathly Hallows)

Veil (The veil, the invisibility cloak)

Veils of Mist (The veil, the invisibility cloak)

White Light (Pensieve memories, the Deluminator)

MAGICAL CREATURES

Bony Moon (Thestrals)

Brown Jenkins (Mrs. Norris)

Buggre Alle this Bible, The (Mrs. Norris)

Cheshire Cat (Crookshanks)

Chimera

Coiled Serpent, The (Nagini)

Crossroads (Mrs. Norris)

Cthulhu (The giant squid)

Faiza, the Black Mamba (Nagini)

Fang (The Two-Headed Goat)

Gunpowder (Thestrals)

Hellcat (Crookshanks, Mrs. Norris)

Humbug (Mrs. Norris)

Ivanushka (Crookshanks)

Obsidian Widow, The (Mrs. Norris)

Red Phoenix (Fawkes)

Sarah (Inferi)

Seance (Mrs. Norris)

Shroud (Thestrals)

Smiling Spider, The (Aragog)

Squirting Cucumber (Bubotubers)

Sunbird (Fawkes)

Zombi (Inferi)

MAGICAL RACES

Bakeneko (Animagus)

Danse Macabre (Dementors)

Elf (House-elves)

Goblin (Goblins)

Greed (Goblins)

Lycaon (Animagus)

Oblivion (dementors)

Robin Goodfellow (Centaurs)

Selkie (Animagus)

Shroud (Dementors)

Szepasszony (Veela)

Tanuki (Animagus)

White Rabbit (House-elves)

PLACES

HOGWARTS

Apothecary, The (Potions class, Snape's storage room, Dumbledore's office)

Carfax Abbey (The library)

Hell-Gate of Ireland, The (Battle of Hogwarts)

Lurid Library, The (The library)

Miskatonic University

No. 93 Engine (Dumbledore's office)

Phoenix Steamworks (Potions class)

Pumpkin Patch blends (Hagrid's pumpkin patch)

Queen Alice (The Great Hall)

Second of Three Spirits (The Great Hall)

Tintagel (The Great Hall)

Trick or Treat (The Great Hall)

Undertow (The lake)

HOGSMEADE

Grog (Butterbeer)

Hellcat (Butterbeer)

La Befana (Honeydukes)

Miskatonic University (The Three Broomsticks)

Schrodinger's Cat (Honeydukes)

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener (Butterbeer)

THE BURROW

Lawn Gnome

Witch's Garden, The

12 GRIMMAULD PLACE

Chilling Cellar, The

Forbidding Foyer, The

Horreur Sympathetique

HOUSES

GRYFFINDOR

Great Sword of War, The

Lion, The

Tintagel

HUFFLEPUFF

Badger

Determination

Enraged Groundhog Musk

Lawn Gnome

Milk Moon

Pumpkin I '08

Sundew

RAVENCLAW

Clio

Crow Moon

Dee

Raven, The

Raven Moon

SLYTHERIN

Bow & Crown of Conquest, The

Coiled Serpent, The

Les Infortunes de la Vertu

Serpent's Kiss

Snake Oil

CHARACTERS

ABERFORTH DUMBLEDORE

Nonae Caprotina

Two-Headed Goat, The

ALBUS DUMBLEDORE

Aureus

Mr. Nancy

No. 93 Engine

Odin

ALECTO CARROW

Alecto

Bloodlust

Nemesis

The Coiled Serpent

BARTY CROUCH, JR.

Antony

BELLATRIX LESTRANGE

Bewitched

Black Annis

Black Tower

Blood Countess

Bloodlust

Bloody Sword, The

Death on a Pale Horse

Destroying Angel

Fallen

Faustus

Giallo

Harlot

Hecate

Hell's Belle

Incantation

Khandita

Les Fleurs du Mal

Lilith

Malediction

Mania

Medea

Nahemoth

Oblivion

Raven, The

Scales of Deprivation, The

Snake Charmer

Tell-Tale Heart, The

Ultraviolet

DAPHNE GREENGRASS

Bewitched

DOLORES UMBRIDGE

Jailbait

London

Sticky Pillowcase

DRACO MALFOY

Dorian

Whitechapel

FENRIR GREYBACK

Iago

Loup Garou

Lycaon

FRED & GEORGE WEASLEY

Jester

Tweedledee & Tweedledum

GINNY WEASLEY

Desdemona

Hermia

Maiden

Ophelia

Pepper

Witch's Garden, The

GODRIC GRYFFINDOR

Great Sword of War, The

Soldier, The

HARRY POTTER

Blinding Glory of Love

Bonfire Night

Snake Charmer

Tristran

HELENA RAVENCLAW

Helena

Phantom Queen

Nyx

Persephone

HELGA HUFFLEPUFF

Cordelia

Eos

Katharina

HERMIONE GRANGER

Arcana

Brisingamen

Clio

Defututa

Eve

Harvest Moon '05

L'Ecole des Filles

Leo 2007

Licwiglunga

Little Sparrow, The

Liz

Miskatonic University

Ochosi

Queen Alice

Sagittarius 2007

Saint-Germain

The Ghost

JAMES POTTER

Wolf's Heart

KATIE BELL

Bewitched

Squirting Cucumber

LILY POTTER

Black Lily

Blinding Glory of Love

Cordelia

Tiger Lily

Yemaya

LUCIUS MALFOY

Dorian

Ice Prince

Lear

Nero

Whitechapel

LUNA LOVEGOOD

Absinthe

Alice

Antique Lace

Black Opal

Budding Moon

Chesire Moon

Eve

Fae

Hairy Toad Lily

Iambe

Joyful Moon

Kindly Moon

Lady on the Grey, The

Luna Negra

Lurid

Maiden

Moon Rose

Ouija

Raven Moon

Singing Moon

Strawberry Moon '09

White Moon

MILLICENT BULSTRODE

De Sade

Dragon's Hide

Hellfire

Quincy Morris

MINERVA MCGONAGALL

Arcana

Arkham

Bewitched

Carlin

Glasgow

Red Queen, The

Selkie

The School-House

Vinland

MOLLY WEASLEY

Antique Lace

Arcana

Cockaigne

Dana O' Shee

Drink Me

Jack

Knave of Hearts, The

Lion, The

London

March Hare

Milk Moon

White Rabbit

MUNDUNGUS FLETCHER

Centzon Totochtin

Fairy Wine

Greed

NARCISSA MALFOY

Le Serpent qui Danse

Marquise de Merteuil

NYMPHADORA TONKS

Amsterdam

Arcana

Bewitched

Boomslang

Coyote

Croquet

Dana O' Shee

Dragon's Milk

Eos

Phatasm

Pumpkin Queen

Punkie Night

Swank

Tweedledee

PEEVES

Imp

PETER PETTIGREW

Envy

POPPY POMFREY

Candy Butcher, The

REMUS LUPIN

Aziraphale

Fenris Wolf

Lycaon

WILF

Wolfsbane

RON WEASLEY

A Howl in the Darkness

Bogle

Gelt

Glasgow

The Lion

The Ring

Tin Phoenix

White Light

ROWENA RAVENCLAW

Aeval

Clio

Host of the Air, The

Raven, The

Sea of Glass

RUBEUS HAGRID

Bonfire Night

Doc Constantine

Dragon's Hide

Dragon's Musk

SALAZAR SLYTHERIN

Hades

Pride

Scales of Deprivation, The

Serpent's Kiss

SEVERUS SNAPE

Apothecary, The

Asphodel

Aziraphale

Bat

Black Annis

Black Tower, The

Casanova

Chant d'Automne

Contract of Theophilius of Adana, The

Dee

Doc Constantine

Dracul

Hellfire

Hexennact

Horreur Sympathetique

Ichabod Crane

Laudanum

Malediction

November

Old Moon

Perversion

Robotic Scarab, The

Saturnalia

Severin

Shivering Boy, The

Sin

There's a Certain Slant of Light

Winter of our Discontent, The

SIRIUS BLACK

Crowley

Dracul

Magus

SYBILL TRELAWNEY

Mme. Moriarty, Misfortune Teller

TEDDY LUPIN

Werepuppy

TOM RIDDLE

A Countenance Foreboding Evil

Whitechapel

VIKTOR KRUM

Lurid

VOLDEMORT

Bloodlust

Bluebeard

Bow & Crown of Conquest, The

Darkness

Fallen

Faustus

Malediction

Malice

Wrath

Edited by imaginepageant

Wow, that's a great list! I might argue that since Ivanushka is about a man transformed into a stag, that would be a better scent for James Potter/Prongs/Harry's Patronus. ;)

Maybe Parliament of Monsters for Hagrid or his charges? And there is actually a SakuraCon scent called Giant Squid!

Finally, since I love the Marauders: Hellhound on My Trail could work for Sirius/Padfoot; Wulric the Wolfman for Lupin/Moony; Rat or The Rat King for Peter Pettigrew/Wormtail.

Well, we certainly are an interesting group of people. I love how the longest scent lists per character are for Bellatrix Lestrange, Luna Lovegood, and Severus Snape. Shows what we care about.

*makes a note to try out all the Snape recommendations ASAP* ;)

Well, we certainly are an interesting group of people. I love how the longest scent lists per character are for Bellatrix Lestrange, Luna Lovegood, and Severus Snape. Shows what we care about.

That cracked me up, too, especially in comparison to how many there are for Harry himself - and that there were none for Ron until I brought it up a few weeks ago!

I was a bit saddened to find there weren't many suggestions for Dumbledore, who is my favorite character. No. 93 Engine is, so far, my favorite blend for him, but I'd love to try more. Anyone have any other ideas for Dumbledore? ETA: I love that Aureus was recommended for him, too, because it's such a sexy scent to me, and I've always said that I would be all over a younger Dumbledore, despite his proclivities. :rofl:

Edited by imaginepageant

I was a bit saddened to find there weren't many suggestions for Dumbledore, who is my favorite character. No. 93 Engine is, so far, my favorite blend for him, but I'd love to try more. Anyone have any other ideas for Dumbledore? ETA: I love that Aureus was recommended for him, too, because it's such a sexy scent to me, and I've always said that I would be all over a younger Dumbledore, despite his proclivities. :rofl:

Hm.. It's hard to argue with No. 93 Engine, but I like the idea of Philologus for Dumbledore too. It suits his warmer, more serious moments, I think.

eta: Plus, on a man? I can report that Philologus is very nice.

Edited by invisible iris

Imaginepageant, I :heart: you for that list!!! Truly...

Wow, that's a great list! I might argue that since Ivanushka is about a man transformed into a stag, that would be a better scent for James Potter/Prongs/Harry's Patronus. ;)

Maybe Parliament of Monsters for Hagrid or his charges? And there is actually a SakuraCon scent called Giant Squid!

Finally, since I love the Marauders: Hellhound on My Trail could work for Sirius/Padfoot; Wulric the Wolfman for Lupin/Moony; Rat or The Rat King for Peter Pettigrew/Wormtail.

I was thinking Ivanushka for James and Harry Potter as well, and Hellhound on My Trail for Padfoot/Sirius Black.

Dorian is most definitely a Malfoy scent. I'll always think of Snape when I wear Hexennact '05 :twisted: , and I wanted to add Black Forest for The Forbidden Forest.

ETA...as a matter of fact, I'm wearing Ivanushka and Black Forest today. :wub2:

Oooh!!! Banshee Beat for Dementors!

Edited by mxtine

I'm so glad this thread has been resurrected! It's always been one of my favorite places on the forum. :D

That cracked me up, too, especially in comparison to how many there are for Harry himself - and that there were none for Ron until I brought it up a few weeks ago!

Dumbledore... let's see... I totally agree with No. 93 Engine, Aureus and Odin (this last speaks to his extreme power and his more warlike moments).

Ded Moroz (Golden amber, white amber, redwood, teak, rosewood, sage, tree moss and snow) reminds me most distinctly of Dumbledore. To me, it's a warm but distant scent that has a sort of wise, stately sadness to it. It's gentle but solid. Something about it makes me think of silvery robes and golden books.

Croquet (Pink lime, pink grapefruit, white nectarine, wild rose, sage, woody patchouli, bergamot and hedgehog musk) brings to mind the silly Dumbledore, the Dumbledore of the early books. The Dumbledore who eats Every Flavor Beans and walks around humming to himself, wearing purple hats and joking about chamberpots and stuff. There's a certain English ridiculousness to that scent, in my mind.

P.S. Regarding poor, neglected Ron:

I agree with the suggestions of The Lion and A Howl in the Darkness (the description sounds pretty animalistic and dark, but I remember it being "happier" and a little lighter than expected). While the description for The Ring actually sounds really perfect and appropriate, I find that scent so feminine and traditionally "pretty" on me that I have a hard time thinking of it for Ron.

Other suggestions: I know it was put forth for Harry, but I really love Tristran for Ron (Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint). I haven't actually tested this one, but I just feel like dusty trousers, redwood, tonka, lemon, patchouli and mint all scream Ron. That's the best scent I could think of for him.

March Hare and Huesos de Santo also kind of make me think of him-- they're strong, humorous, foody, "orange" scents to me (ever since Snape referred to "[Harry] and his orange friend" in Potter Puppet Pals, I think of Ron as "orange").

Edited by Aldercy

Did anyone mention Dungeon Crawl? It's what I wore to the last two midnight movie showings, 'cause I'd imagine it smells a bit like Hogwarts.

(I originally posted this in the BPAL chatter forum, and realized I'd put it in the wrong spot about 5 min after I'd posted it. I apologize profusely for the double posting. I've already reported the other one for removal).

So I'm doing a Harry Potter swap, and I would love to introduce someone new to BPAL. I'm racking my brain for scents I may have imps of that would fall under the Harry Potter theme. Possibly "Potions"?

I have Wolfsbane, Troll ("... in the Dungeon; thought you should know"), aaaaand .... not sure what else cus I'm waaay too tired :lol:

Thoughts? Ideas?

I did find some oils on Etsy that are specifically HP themed, and I have some imps of those on the way, but again, want to see what I can dig up out of current BPAL offerings ;)

I think the Rappuchini's Garden scents would be fun to play with. You could whip up a cool 'potions ingredients' sort of tester with those.

thieves rosin and vial of holy water from the RPG line could be fun too! and maybe mage and good/evil from the RPG line too?

I found this thread for you if you'd like to peruse it? :) Looking for any Harry Potter like scent recommendations please

Aha! I knew there had to be a thread somewhere! I tried a forum search for "Harry Potter" and didn't come up with anything (well, came up with stuff that didn't quite fit what I was looking for).

Thank you all for the Rappaccini's Garden recommendations! I think that's exactly the direction I was looking for, since my swap partner mentioned Potions specifically.

Gryffindor - The Lion

Slytherin - Snake Oil

Hufflepuff - This one is tough... there's no badger scent... what about Satyr or something animalistic like that? Could potentially be badgery...

Ravenclaw - The Raven or Night-Raven (yes, I know technically Ravenclaw's animal is an eagle, but there are no eagle scents in the GC that I know of!)

Can't think of anything more random to put in a "Random BPAL-related thoughts" section, but mods please feel free to move the post if this is in the wrong area! :)

Essentially, I'm writing a fair bit of fanfiction lately. Was looking to you guys, who may have read the books/seen the movies, to tell me what you think your favourite Harry Potter characters may smell like BPAL-wise. (And if not all the time, perhaps at fancy functions, like the Yule Ball) :) Indulge me. <3

Edited by keylionpie