Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Trish

Looking for any Harry Potter scent recommendations

I just want to say that I love this thread, because I'm heading to Azkatraz in a few weeks, and now I have a lot of good ideas about which BPALs to bring!

Oh, Les Infortunes de Vertu is definitely a Slytherin scent to me, too. But I have to think that it's a "pain-tinged, pleasure-soaked" scent that belongs to Lucius, especially with that combination of French florals and leather. ;) On the other hand, your other suggestion of Winter of Our Discontent is perfect for Snape. I had a sniff of my bottle, and ooooh yes, that's it: dark, smoky, brooding. That and Severin.

Pssst. Hey guys. Aberforth Dumbledore = Nonae Caprotina

smiley-laughing019.gif Best. Match. Ever.

So, a few more associations:

GIALLO Profoundly passionate and singularly sinister: opoponax, black plum, night-blooming jasmine, benzoin, red musk, violet leaf, orange blossom, mimosa, mandarin, smoky vanilla, tobacco, patchouli, and black amber.

Okay, it isn't imp-able, but this is exactly the sort of perfume that I imagine Bellatrix wearing: a dark, smoky, passionate, beautiful but sinister floral.

MARQUISE de MERTEUIL Stately, bold, aristocratic and cruel. Opulent galbanum and amber, glistening peach, and a bouquet of French florals, with a merciless undertone of jonquil and heartless vetiver.

Narcissa Malfoy's perfume? It's the right combination of pretty, posh, haughty and cold.

VEIL A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

The Veil in the Department of Mysteries?

SZEPASSZONY The Fair Lady, Winter Witch, White Maiden of the Storm. Szepasszony is a Hungarian demoness that appears as a stunningly beautiful woman with long, silver-white hair and a blinding white dress. [sNIP] A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Maybe this is a stretch, but this sounds like a Veela scent to me.

FAIZA, THE BLACK MAMBA A sensual blend of twisting, exotic, serpentine oils: black amber, caraway, oakmoss, green sandalwood, bergamot, jasmine sambac, gardenia, orange pulp, vanilla, blackberry, black musk, white honey, ti leaf, and ginger.

Also not imp-able, but this has to be the right blend to represent Nagini, don't you think?

TIGER LILY A feisty bouquet of golden, warm, gently honeyed lilies

Lily Evans!

And I'm really, really surprised that nobody's recommended Tweedledee and Tweedledum for Fred and George yet.

Yeah, besides the appropriate scent notes, I couldn't help but feel like a Richard III surliness kinda suited Snape. ^_^

You are dead on with Szepasszony, Faiza and Tiger Lily. And I can't believe none of us have thought of Tweedledum and Tweedledee. Tweedledee is one of my favorite scents! What is wrong with me?

For the Veil in the Department of Mysteries, I had also been thinking about Spirits of the Dead (yeah, I know I keep bringing up long gone blends; I'm sorry). "A shuddering white scent, of ghostly breath and stony silence: dry tea leaf, linden blossom, papyrus, orris and wood." However, I think your suggestion of Veil sounds a little more, mm... positive? Yes, the Veil kills, but it never seemed to me like it was meant as an awful way to go. The way Luna talked about it, it was a sad thing, but not bad or evil.

Azkatraz! Cool! I love this thread too. This is just turning into one big old lovefest.

I would use No. 93 Engine for Dumbledore's Office. The smells of wood, beeswax, and a hint of incense do remind me of all of the delicate and incomprehensible contraptions he has there.

My three favourite characters are Hermione, Minerva McGonagall and Mrs. Norris. Anyone have suggestions for their scents?

My three favourite characters are Hermione, Minerva McGonagall and Mrs. Norris. Anyone have suggestions for their scents?

Well, Professor McGonagall would definitely have a heather note. Perhaps Glasgow? I haven't smelled it yet, but the description seems like McGonagall to me.

I completely agree with Glasgow for Professor McGonagall, but here's some other thoughts. Italicizing the notes that I think particularly suit her:

Arcana: frankincense, rosemary, lavender, neroli and verbena.

Bewitched: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk.

Arkham: maple, birch, dogwood, cypress, pine, bergamot, columbine, rue anemone, blue violet, creeping phlox, bloodroot, toadflax and pixie moss.

The School-House: dandelion, white clover, balsam fir logs, and birchwood switches.

Vinland: crisp northern wind blowing over loganberry, wild roses, prairie crocus, iris versicolor Linné, mountain avens, yellow birch bark, mayflower and maple leaf.

Selkie: the chill waters of the Orkney coast, tea-leaved willow, honey-touched Grass-of-Parnassus, sea aster, and Scottish Primrose.

In short, I feel like she would have a lot of woody notes-- she's very inflexible and strong... never fussy or gaudy. I also feel like rosemary and certain berry notes would work for her.

For Hermione:

The Little Sparrow: seeds, sedge, brown amber and sandalwood.

Saint-Germain: gilded amber, lavender, brash carnation and deep mosses.

Brisingamen: five ambers, soft myrtle, apple blossom and carnation.

L'Ecole des Filles: orange blossom, ambergris, orris root, white rose, lemon balm, jonquil, carrot seed and benzoin.

Defututa: olive blossom, honey, smoky vanilla, cinnamon, jasmine, sandalwood and champaca flower.

Licwiglunga: hemp paper, frankincense, dried pomegranate juice, lavender, gum mastic, verbena, fennel, star anise and Dittany of Crete.

Sagittarius 2007: sage, clove, dandelion, Balm of Gilead, fig and chamomile.

Leo 2007: Egyptian amber, walnut bark, chamomile, frankincense and saffron.

Harvest Moon 2005: gladiola, chrysanthemum, aster, dahlia, anemone, bergamot, marigold, sage, verbena, wine-soaked apples, plums, red pears, mulling spices, brown sugar, ivy, amaranth and lingum aloe.

A wide variety. I wish I could find more stuff with parchment/paper notes, but most of the ones I find have other notes that are so not Hermione.... I don't know why, but I feel like lavender, carnation, brown sugar and cinnamon also seem to suit her.

Couldn't come with anything for poor Mrs. Norris.

I completely agree with Glasgow for Professor McGonagall, but here's some other thoughts. Italicizing the notes that I think particularly suit her:

Arkham: maple, birch, dogwood, cypress, pine, bergamot, columbine, rue anemone, blue violet, creeping phlox, bloodroot, toadflax and pixie moss.

The School-House: dandelion, white clover, balsam fir logs, and birchwood switches.

Vinland: crisp northern wind blowing over loganberry, wild roses, prairie crocus, iris versicolor Linné, mountain avens, yellow birch bark, mayflower and maple leaf.

Selkie: the chill waters of the Orkney coast, tea-leaved willow, honey-touched Grass-of-Parnassus, sea aster, and Scottish Primrose.

In short, I feel like she would have a lot of woody notes-- she's very inflexible and strong... never fussy or gaudy. I also feel like rosemary and certain berry notes would work for her.

I second all of this! I think your impression of McGonagall is a lot like mine, because I was also thinking of strong, unfussy, woody notes. To that end, I suggest The Red Queen, which features deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant. I also think this one is especially fitting because Carroll's Red Queen was always meant to be a stern-but-fair, governess type, and I think the same applies to Professor McGonagall.

For Hermione:

L'Ecole des Filles: orange blossom, ambergris, orris root, white rose, lemon balm, jonquil, carrot seed and benzoin.

Defututa: olive blossom, honey, smoky vanilla, cinnamon, jasmine, sandalwood and champaca flower.

Licwiglunga: hemp paper, frankincense, dried pomegranate juice, lavender, gum mastic, verbena, fennel, star anise and Dittany of Crete.

Harvest Moon 2005: gladiola, chrysanthemum, aster, dahlia, anemone, bergamot, marigold, sage, verbena, wine-soaked apples, plums, red pears, mulling spices, brown sugar, ivy, amaranth and lingum aloe.

A wide variety. I wish I could find more stuff with parchment/paper notes, but most of the ones I find have other notes that are so not Hermione.... I don't know why, but I feel like lavender, carnation, brown sugar and cinnamon also seem to suit her.

I also wanted to find something with books or parchment or even leather for Hermione, since she's always researching, in the library or looking for a book. But Dee doesn't sound right, and I do like the idea of some of the herbal scents that you mentioned. Hermione seems like a very non-fussy, herbal sort of girl, and I agree with you about the carnations and spice.

And with that in mind, how about Queen Alice? It's carnation, posies, and white amber with a hint of inky treacle, sandy cider, and wooly wine. The combination of carnations, spicy cider, wool, ink and treacle seems a lot like her. (I seem to recall that she likes treacle tart in the books, although maybe I'm making that up. :lol: )

I second all of this! I think your impression of McGonagall is a lot like mine, because I was also thinking of strong, unfussy, woody notes. To that end, I suggest The Red Queen, which features deep mahogany and rich, velvety woods lacquered with sweet, black-red cherries and currant. I also think this one is especially fitting because Carroll's Red Queen was always meant to be a stern-but-fair, governess type, and I think the same applies to Professor McGonagall.

For Hermione:

I also wanted to find something with books or parchment or even leather for Hermione, since she's always researching, in the library or looking for a book. But Dee doesn't sound right, and I do like the idea of some of the herbal scents that you mentioned. Hermione seems like a very non-fussy, herbal sort of girl, and I agree with you about the carnations and spice.

And with that in mind, how about Queen Alice? It's carnation, posies, and white amber with a hint of inky treacle, sandy cider, and wooly wine. The combination of carnations, spicy cider, wool, ink and treacle seems a lot like her. (I seem to recall that she likes treacle tart in the books, although maybe I'm making that up. :lol: )

Queen Alice - excellent.

And Clio smells like a library, as does the Lurid Library and Carfax Abbey (to me).

The description of Aziraphale, really makes me think of Severus.. I mean, seriously - Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord? Maybe layer it with something putrid and toxic to make it more potion-laby... but all in all, it's really very much like him for me...

(Sorry, but I don't really see Severus as the leathery type - aside from his boots. I see him more of a wooly type - wool, parchment and potions).

Edited by Jupita

The description of Aziraphale, really makes me think of Severus.. I mean, seriously - Ethereal musk, blonde woods, and dusty Bible accord? Maybe layer it with something putrid and toxic to make it more potion-laby... but all in all, it's really very much like him for me...

(Sorry, but I don't really see Severus as the leathery type - aside from his boots. I see him more of a wooly type - wool, parchment and potions).

Oh yes - wool robes! He may wear leather boots, but the robes (and the way they would hold the scent of the lab) would be so much of it.

(the leather is just in my dreams)

(omg, did I say that out loud?)

Oh yes - wool robes! He may wear leather boots, but the robes (and the way they would hold the scent of the lab) would be so much of it.

Heeeeeee! Juni, I'm glad you showed up in this thread, because I was about to point you in this direction otherwise. :D

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought of Aziraphale for Severus, but now I realize that I might have overlooked it in favor of "darker" scents. (Winter of Our Discontent definitely makes me think of him.) But the wood, dust and books are very him... layer it with a red wine scent, and that sounds like Spinner's End, doesn't it?

And yeah, I think leather scents are more for Lucius than Severus. He's a wool sort of guy. So maybe he smells like the perfect schoolmaster scent, Ichabod Crane: Dusty black wool, tea with cream, black pepper, muguet, and beeswax candle drippings. It even has the candle wax and tea!

I was pondering matches with HP "villians" so to speak, and thought these sounded pretty good:

Wormtail: Envy: Green Herbs slithering through mint, lime and lavender.

Voldemort: Malediction: Red Patchouli and Vetiver

Lucius Malfoy: Nero: Rosemary, Bay, Pine, Lemon

Bellatrix Lestrange: Black Annis: Damp Cave Lichen (from being in Azkaban for so long), oak leaf, vetiver, civet, anise.

Dolores Umbridge: London: Venerable Victorian Tea Rose, twisted, blackend and emboldened with wickedness.

Fenryir Greyback ( I might be spelling this wrong): Iago: Sinuos black musk, wet leather, vetiver.

Hmmmm all of these smells for the most evil characters are have vetiver. Maybe I just associate vetiver with evil? :twisted:

Heeeeeee! Juni, I'm glad you showed up in this thread, because I was about to point you in this direction otherwise. :D

Hmm, I wouldn't have thought of Aziraphale for Severus, but now I realize that I might have overlooked it in favor of "darker" scents. (Winter of Our Discontent definitely makes me think of him.) But the wood, dust and books are very him... layer it with a red wine scent, and that sounds like Spinner's End, doesn't it?

And yeah, I think leather scents are more for Lucius than Severus. He's a wool sort of guy. So maybe he smells like the perfect schoolmaster scent, Ichabod Crane: Dusty black wool, tea with cream, black pepper, muguet, and beeswax candle drippings. It even has the candle wax and tea!

That sounds nice indeed... even if I'm not a fan of muguet...

Is it a LE?

Dolores Umbridge: London: Venerable Victorian Tea Rose, twisted, blackend and emboldened with wickedness.

I just see Umbridge as more of a candy type... evil-sickly-pungent candy... :ack:

Edited by Jupita

Is it a LE?

I'm afraid it is an LE (last Halloween). I feared the muguet myself, but Ichabod Crane is wooonderful, and likely my favorite scent of all time. Not for everyone, but I adore it. And it's a good alternative take on Snape. Slightly warmer and more academic.

SPEAKING OF WHICH: Has anyone else noticed that Severin is being discontinued as of right, um... now? If that was the top of your Snape scent list, you'd better try ordering today. I think they're just clearing out what bottles they happen to have left and then it's gone.

Is it a LE?

I just see Umbridge as more of a candy type... evil-sickly-pungent candy... :ack:

Sticky Pillowcase, then?

I cannot tell you how much it breaks my heart that every Snapey scent makes me sneeze and my nose swell up. :cry:

Hahaha my first thought for Umbridge is Jailbait (Sticky pink bubblegum and the thick, sweet scent of orange and cherry lollipops smeared over a breath of heady womanly perfume), which is a rather disturbing image, to be honest.

Mrs Norris should, I think, be Humbug (Vanilla licorice)

Fenryir Greyback ( I might be spelling this wrong): Iago: Sinuos black musk, wet leather, vetiver.

Good choice. Especially the wet leather. I always picture Greyback wet for some reason-- all matted and drippy. Is that weird?

I'm always tempted to suggest Fenris Wolf for Fenrir Greyback because, well, that's the mythology Fenrir's name comes from! But it's actually not a very good scent description of him and it's understandable that most people assign it to Lupin.

I cannot tell you how much it breaks my heart that every Snapey scent makes me sneeze and my nose swell up. :cry:

:hug: Aw, that sucks, Ahania. I don't see any obvious common note between all the Snapey scents people have suggested... but there's a lot of vetiver, leather, tea, and wood notes... Hmm....

Mrs Norris should, I think, be Humbug (Vanilla licorice)

YES. Oh thank you. I was distressed that I couldn't come up with anything for poor Mrs. Norris. I just kept thinking "dust" for some reason, which was not helpful. That's a truly clever suggestion.

Alecto Carrow would have to have her own scent--Alecto, that is, it's made for her!--Olive leaf, raspberry leaf, vetiver and cedarwood.

I always see Mrs. Zabini as Arachnia the Spider Giirl--

White musk, wild plum, vetiver, black coconut, verbena, fig, and lavender.

Daphne Greengrass as Bewitched--

Deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk.

Katie Bell as Squirting Cucumber--Yikes! A spurt of wet, grassy greenness.

Barty Crouch Junior-- Antony--A warrior's scent: the green hills and grasses of the battlefields, the resinous incense from the prayers to his Gods, and a touch of the musky leather of his armor. Ambergris and frankincense with sage, and basil.

Alecto Carrow would have to have her own scent--Alecto, that is, it's made for her!--Olive leaf, raspberry leaf, vetiver and cedarwood.

I always see Mrs. Zabini as Arachnia the Spider Giirl--

White musk, wild plum, vetiver, black coconut, verbena, fig, and lavender.

Daphne Greengrass as Bewitched--

Deep, luscious green and berry scents that evoke images of woodland witchcraft and the raw power of nature: blackberry, sage, green tea, wild berries and dark musk.

Katie Bell as Squirting Cucumber--Yikes! A spurt of wet, grassy greenness.

Barty Crouch Junior-- Antony--A warrior's scent: the green hills and grasses of the battlefields, the resinous incense from the prayers to his Gods, and a touch of the musky leather of his armor. Ambergris and frankincense with sage, and basil.

Arachnina isn't that scent, though - Did you mean Antonino, The Carny Talker? I like your suggestion for Katie, though! :D

hmm.. maybe Ultraviolet for Bellatrix...or Harlot, or MAYBE... Hell's Belle

Ochosi, Eve, or the ghost for Miss Granger :P.

Anyway, this is what i imagine they might smell like lol.

Good choice. Especially the wet leather. I always picture Greyback wet for some reason-- all matted and drippy. Is that weird?

I'm always tempted to suggest Fenris Wolf for Fenrir Greyback because, well, that's the mythology Fenrir's name comes from! But it's actually not a very good scent description of him and it's understandable that most people assign it to Lupin.

I must say that I stick by the dichotomy of Wolfsbane and Fenris Wolf, respectively, for the human and wolf personae of Remus. How about Loup Garou for Fenrir Greyback? "The wild, untamed essence of lycanthropy. Primeval in its raw power and insatiable hunger: juniper, cypress and galangal with the barest touch of eucalyptus". I haven't actually tried Loup Garou, but it sounds appropriately menacing.

But of course, the luckiest of all Harry Potter characters, BPAL-wise, is Fawkes! :D He definitely has a scent for every mood in the BPAL arsenal:

Black Phoenix

Red Phoenix

Pink Phoenix

Green Phoenix

Blood Phoenix

The Phoenix

White Phoenix

Purple Phoenix

Wood Phoenix

Water Phoenix

Fire Phoenix

Earth Phoenix

Metal Phoenix

Candy Phoenix

Mechanical Phoenix

Unfortunately only Black Phoenix is GC and currently available.

Edited by Mrs.Black

At Azkatraz I'm (omg) cosplaying the Mistress of Ancient Runes, who Rowling names on her website as Bathsheba Babbling.

So now I'm wondering about scents for the professors who remain (largely) off-screen - Vector, Sinistra, even Burbage.

Nothing has really hit me, yet.

(I'm also doing Alecto Carrow, gods help me, but can't wear Alecto as vetiver and I Do Not Get Along... need to figure out something for her... )

Anything for the scent of Thestrals?

Crooshanks?

And I'd really love to have a scent for the Mirror of Erised...

I'm also cosplaying at Azkatraz, as Rowena Ravenclaw. I've tossed around a few different ideas for a BPAL scent to match her, but I haven't settled on anything yet. I'm thinking something scholarly and dignified, but still very feminine. Any ideas? I know we talked about Dee as a good scent for Ravenclaw house (and it really is), but it's kind of masculine for the character I have in mind.

I'll put on my thinking cap about Bathsheba Babbling, an Alecto scent without vetiver and Jupita's suggestions!

Anything for the scent of Thestrals?

Crooshanks?

And I'd really love to have a scent for the Mirror of Erised...

Crooshanks -- Hellcat, Cheshire Cat or something furry like Ivanushka (although that was a Lunacy LE)

Thestrals -- I would combine Gunpowder (last year's Halloween LE from the Sleepy Hollow series) with something dry and bony from Ars Moriendi, like Shroud (unfortunately discontinued), or Bony Moon if you can find it. Sorry, that wasn't very helpful as they are all hard to find scents. :(

The Mirror of Erised -- The perfect scent for this, IMO, is House of Mirrors. Unfortunately that was a Carnaval Noir LE, but it may be possible to find it. Very similar to it was the more recent Yule LE Archangel Winter. Failing that, a good GC alternative would be Sea of Glass.

Edited by Mrs.Black