Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Trish

Looking for any Harry Potter scent recommendations

I'm sorry to hijack this thread, but, any suggestions for the Snape fangirl I am?

Okay, I'm about to reveal the full extent of my insanity here. (I heart Snape, too). A fair amount of these are LEs, and I've only personally tried about half, so some may just sound good...

The Winter of Our Discontent: balsam, dark myrrh, mandarin orange, bitter clove, artemesia, rosewood, nutmeg, dark musk, smoke and cypress.

Laudanum: nutmeg, sassafras, black poppy and myrrh.

Old Moon: snow, evergreen, juniper, winterberry holly, bayberry, Viking black chokeberry, hemlock, yew, and lunar herbs and flowers.

The Apothecary: tea leaf with three mosses, green grass, a medley of herbal notes, and a drop of ginger and fig.

Bat: dusty amber, grey musk, red orchid, moonflower, night-blooming phlox, stock, honeysuckle, English ivy, toadflax, and purple salvia.

Okay, I mostly chose that for the name.

The Contract of Theophilus of Adana: parchment, Siamese benzoin, infernal incense, black musk, brimstone and daemonorops.

Hellfire: a swirl of pipe tobacco, hot leather, ambergris, dark musk and lingering incense smoke.

Chant d'Automne: dried leaves, charred wood, blood musk, amber, kus and Nicotiana tabacum.

The Shivering Boy: frozen, dormant vineyards, bitter sleet, and piercing ozone, hurled through labdanum, benzoin, and olibanum.

Casanova: a rakish blend of leather, anise, lavender, bergamot and amber with tonka, lemon peel and lusty patchouli.

Definitely anise. For serious.

The Robotic Scarab: polished metallic notes, glossy leather, frankincense, star anise and thin oils.

November: autumn leaves damp beneath the first snowfall.

The Black Tower: chill wind, white bone and blackened steel: white sandalwood, ambergris, wet ozone, galbanum and leather with ebony, teak, burnt grasses, English ivy and a hint of red wine.

Hexennact: German fir, forest herbs, incense, bonfire smoke, infernal flora, glowing amber and skin musk.

Les Infortunes de la Vertu: leather, oakmoss, orange blossom, amber, rose, French florals and a hint of austere monastic penitential incense.

Black Annis: cave lichen, oak leaf, vetiver, civet and anise.

There's a Certain Slant of Light: tinny ozone, frankincense, white sandalwood, white amber, hyssop, bitter violet leaf and smoke.

Dracul: black musk, tobacco, fir, Balsam of Peru, cumin, bitter clove, crushed mint, and orange blossom.

and, obviously...

:clap: Severin: dry black teas, Earl Gray, and leather.

Also, I found this thread in Suggestions. It's Harry Potter speculation in general, so it relates to this whole topic. Lots of thoughts on what perfumes suit what. Not that I necessarily think they should be merged.

Edited by Aldercy

Aldercy, you are an evil person...))))

Now, I want HALF of those at least... :blush:

I guess next time I make an order, I'll have to indulge in a Snape - Imp Pack... Snapes, six pack... ah... ok, I shut up.

The Black Tower, Severin, Les Infortunes de la Vertu are sure going to be in there.. probably the Apothercary too...

I guess next time I make an order, I'll have to indulge in a Snape - Imp Pack... Snapes, six pack... ah... ok, I shut up.

The Black Tower, Severin, Les Infortunes de la Vertu are sure going to be in there.. probably the Apothercary too...

I'm sorry. When you brought it up I became all enthralled myself. I might get a Snape Six Pack too! lol.

I'm sorry. When you brought it up I became all enthralled myself. I might get a Snape Six Pack too! lol.

Me three! I love Snape to an almost embarrassing degree. :blush:

I think Les Infortunes de la Vertu strikes me as more Lucius Malfoy than Snape (it's a little too refined to be Snapish, but that's only my take), but so many of these are great suggestions. I foresee a Snape six-pack in my future.

Oh, and Aldercy, I LOVE that you included the Shivering Boy, because yes. :wub2:

So I sat down and thought about it, and made a few HP associations of my own, trying to stick to GC (and therefore imp-able) scents:

THE KNAVE OF HEARTS Crushed roses and blackcurrant tarts.

Yummy baking things plus cut flowers sounds like Molly Weasley to me.

HERMIA Pink pepper, golden amber, honeysuckle, and passion flower.

Feminine, but sassy and packs a punch. It reminds me of Ginny Weasley.

WHITE RABBIT Strong black tea and milk with white pepper, ginger, honey and vanilla, spilled over the crisp scent of clean linen.

I saw this mentioned upthread, but to me, this is the scent of the House-elves, since they spend all so much time in the kitchens and are always bringing tea. The linen, of course, is a freshly-pressed tea towel.

Goblin Black coconut, gnarly patchouli, and sweet benzoin.

Maybe a little on the nose here, but this sounds like the scent of the Goblins to me. :lol: (Either this, or Greed.)

UNDERTOW Lotus and juniper with a hint of mint. A scent dragged up from the depths to the Stygian shore.

This sounds like the lake at Hogwarts.

CTHULHU Seaweed, oceanic plants and dark, unfathomable waters.

And this sounds like the Giant Squid!

I'm sure I'll think of more, given time.

I predict a run on Snape six packs. Making my list riiiight now.

:heart: Severus

I'm a Snape fangirl, too, and I definitely have some Snapey BPAL associations. Unfortunately discontinued, but wearing Asphodel always makes me think of Severus. :blush:

But back to HP in general...Dragon's Blood! (It has twelve conventional uses catalogued by Albus Dumbledore, you know). Plus, it smells lovely! :D

I always thought that Severus smells just like Malediction. :blush: (and Cosmic Dreamcatcher from Lush, by the way). :thud: It's a strong scent, and not "easy" at all. :twisted:

All Severus Snape's fans out there would do well getting... Severin. The leather note in it is the same as the one in De Sade, for that indispensable sadistic twist, and the Earl Grey tea adds the English flare and bittersweet quality befitting the character. For those in the northern hemisphere, it's also a perfect summer scent: crisp, elegant and refreshing. Plus the name is definitely close enough!

Well, I see I'm not the only one, to actually fantasize about Snape...

Any ideas for... hmm... clean-Snape-after-hot-shower?

I mean, sure, he's ment to be the greasy git from the dungeons, but, even he has to take showers from time to time, cleaning charms can only do that much) :blush:

Well, I see I'm not the only one, to actually fantasize about Snape...

Any ideas for... hmm... clean-Snape-after-hot-shower?

I mean, sure, he's ment to be the greasy git from the dungeons, but, even he has to take showers from time to time, cleaning charms can only do that much) :blush:

For fresh-out-of-the-shower Snape, I would combine De Sade and Dirty. Or (flogging a dead horse here :hammer: ) just Severin.

I think Les Fleurs du Mal would be perfect for Bellatrix. It smells extremely cruel and beautiful.

Edited by Ahania

I think Les Infortunes de la Vertu strikes me as more Lucius Malfoy than Snape (it's a little too refined to be Snapish, but that's only my take), but so many of these are great suggestions. I foresee a Snape six-pack in my future.

Oh, and Aldercy, I LOVE that you included the Shivering Boy, because yes. :wub2:

Re: Les Infortunes de la Vertu. True that. Rose and "French florals" probably do belong on someone more aristocratic and deliberately fashionable. So good call. But it still strikes me as a "Slytherin" scent. ;)

Re: The Shivering Boy. Yay! That one kind of came a little out of left field, so I'm glad someone liked it.

And, yes! I think "House Elves" was what I was trying to go for with my vague White Rabbit/"morning at Hogwarts" association, but you expressed it better.

Edited by Aldercy

Oh, forgot to say: Sirius Black's scent would definitely be Magus. And Remus's, Wolfsbane. For his human self, anyway. For his wolf self... Fenris Wolf. (I'm not just thinking of the names, I do think these scents would fit the characters).

Alternatively, you could slather Sirius and Remus in Crowley and Aziraphale, respectively.

And I've always thought of Shroud and Danse Macabre as Dementors' scents.

Edited by Mrs.Black

Alternatively, you could slather Sirius and Remus in Crowley and Aziraphale, respectively.

WIN. So very full of win. There is no other way to respond to your suggestion. :) And yes, I am a Remus Lupin fangirl.

WIN. So very full of win. There is no other way to respond to your suggestion. :) And yes, I am a Remus Lupin fangirl.

And I am Mrs.Black! :D Glad I could help.

ETA: To me, Dumbledore smells naturally like Aureus, and Lucius and Draco Malfoy share a bottle of Whitechapel.

Tom Riddle gives off a strong whiff of A Countenance Foreboding Evil. Later, as Lord Voldemort, he smells like Fallen.

Professor Sybill Trelawney wears, of course, Madame Moriarty, Misfortune Teller as her signature scent.

Oh, and Hermione switches between Arcana and a fresh Muggle cologne.

Edited by Mrs.Black

Pssst. Hey guys. Aberforth Dumbledore = Nonae Caprotina. ;)

:eek: :lol:

My Potterverse characterizations have been warped by many years of reading fanfiction, so they may be more based on fanon than canon. I'm not sure I know the difference at this point. :blush:

Lucius would definitely wear Dorian, and Draco with his white blond hair and cold gray eyes smells like Ice Prince. And the Draco in my head loves a hot bath, so that works out well. ;)

I have never come up with a good scent for Harry. Possibly Bonfire Night because I imagine adult Harry would be a beer drinker, and we know he likes treacle. And traveling by floo might leave you a little smoke scented.

Edited by luredbyvenus

And let's not forget The Lurid Library! It's like the forbidden section... :twisted:

(Lol, but reading this thread has reminded me that I seriously need to study up before the new one comes out! It seems like it's been so long!)

The "something floral" scent that reminded Harry of The Burrow, that wafts up from the love potion?

I always imagined that floral (and Ginny Weasley) to smell precisely like Maiden.

Also, Queen Alice, with the cider and the treacle tarts and the ink smells like Halloween at Hogwarts, to me.

Pssst. Hey guys. Aberforth Dumbledore = Nonae Caprotina. ;)

:eek: :lol:

My Potterverse characterizations have been warped by many years of reading fanfiction, so they may be more based on fanon than canon. I'm not sure I know the difference at this point. :blush:

Lucius would definitely wear Dorian, and Draco with his white blond hair and cold gray eyes smells like Ice Prince. And the Draco in my head loves a hot bath, so that works out well. ;)

I have never come up with a good scent for Harry. Possibly Bonfire Night because I imagine adult Harry would be a beer drinker, and we know he likes treacle. And traveling by floo might leave you a little smoke scented.

Those are good suggestions. I think it's possible for multiple, widely varied scents to suit one character. Thinking of Lucius as the evil jackass Harry sees produces one scent impression, thinking of him as a government official produces another, thinking of him sitting quietly over a flawless dinner at Malfoy Manor produces another.... Dorian makes me think more of that last domestic version (and perhaps a younger version of him as well). It definitely strikes me as the kind of cologne Lucius would choose for himself.

And I know exactly what you mean about the skewing effect of fanfiction. I keep chanting "what would CANON Snape smell like? CANON Snape..." because, let's face it, we are never told in the books that Snape is a leather-draped sex god (said interpretations are not usually to my taste, but it's impossible not to be familiar with them if you read fanfic at all). I still think he warrants some leather, but whatever. ;)

Many of the haunted house series blends could be great. Surely The Lurid Library, as has been said. And The Chilling Cellar ("wine just turning to vinegar, crumbling mortar, red clay, and the coppery tang of old blood") definitely makes me think of the basementy kitchen in Grimmauld Place (before Molly Weasley got to it). And The Forbidding Foyer ("Thick shadows hang heavy across fungus-smeared, dilapidated wainscoting, cobwebs hang like fine lace across sagging mouldings, rats scuttle past gaping doorways. The faint scent of brimstone, ghostly breath laced with cognac, neglected mahogany panels, and rot") has me thinking "when is Mrs. Black's* portrait going to pop out and start screaming?" lol.

*the drooling Mrs. Black, not the undoubtedly delightful Mrs. Black posting here in this thread. :)

I just want to say that I love this thread, because I'm heading to Azkatraz in a few weeks, and now I have a lot of good ideas about which BPALs to bring!

Re: Les Infortunes de la Vertu. True that. Rose and "French florals" probably do belong on someone more aristocratic and deliberately fashionable. So good call. But it still strikes me as a "Slytherin" scent. ;)

Re: The Shivering Boy. Yay! That one kind of came a little out of left field, so I'm glad someone liked it.

And, yes! I think "House Elves" was what I was trying to go for with my vague White Rabbit/"morning at Hogwarts" association, but you expressed it better.

Oh, Les Infortunes de Vertu is definitely a Slytherin scent to me, too. But I have to think that it's a "pain-tinged, pleasure-soaked" scent that belongs to Lucius, especially with that combination of French florals and leather. ;) On the other hand, your other suggestion of Winter of Our Discontent is perfect for Snape. I had a sniff of my bottle, and ooooh yes, that's it: dark, smoky, brooding. That and Severin.

Pssst. Hey guys. Aberforth Dumbledore = Nonae Caprotina

smiley-laughing019.gif Best. Match. Ever.

So, a few more associations:

GIALLO Profoundly passionate and singularly sinister: opoponax, black plum, night-blooming jasmine, benzoin, red musk, violet leaf, orange blossom, mimosa, mandarin, smoky vanilla, tobacco, patchouli, and black amber.

Okay, it isn't imp-able, but this is exactly the sort of perfume that I imagine Bellatrix wearing: a dark, smoky, passionate, beautiful but sinister floral.

MARQUISE de MERTEUIL Stately, bold, aristocratic and cruel. Opulent galbanum and amber, glistening peach, and a bouquet of French florals, with a merciless undertone of jonquil and heartless vetiver.

Narcissa Malfoy's perfume? It's the right combination of pretty, posh, haughty and cold.

VEIL A quiet scent, soft, calm and enigmatic. A perfume of mystery, of whispers, and of secrets behind secrets. White sandalwood, lilac, gardenia, violet, orris, lavender and ylang ylang.

The Veil in the Department of Mysteries?

SZEPASSZONY The Fair Lady, Winter Witch, White Maiden of the Storm. Szepasszony is a Hungarian demoness that appears as a stunningly beautiful woman with long, silver-white hair and a blinding white dress. [sNIP] A chilly, tempestuous whirlwind of clear, airy notes, slashing rain, and a thin undercurrent of white flowers.

Maybe this is a stretch, but this sounds like a Veela scent to me.

FAIZA, THE BLACK MAMBA A sensual blend of twisting, exotic, serpentine oils: black amber, caraway, oakmoss, green sandalwood, bergamot, jasmine sambac, gardenia, orange pulp, vanilla, blackberry, black musk, white honey, ti leaf, and ginger.

Also not imp-able, but this has to be the right blend to represent Nagini, don't you think?

TIGER LILY A feisty bouquet of golden, warm, gently honeyed lilies

Lily Evans!

And I'm really, really surprised that nobody's recommended Tweedledee and Tweedledum for Fred and George yet.

Those are good suggestions. I think it's possible for multiple, widely varied scents to suit one character.

As a wee bit of a hijack, I am in TOTAL agreement . . . because who here has ONE scent that is "them"? ;) For some folks there is a "signature scent" but as far as I can tell, such people are in the minority of the variously-scented-on-various-days BPALers, myself included. ;)

Back on topic, I am LOVING this thread and having way too much fun reading other people's interpretations of scents and being introduced to scents in a different context than I might have thought of them. :)