Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Heavenlyrabbit

Nonae Caprotina

The Nones of the Wild Fig, held on the 7th of July and celebrated only by women, is a festival of fertility honoring Juno Caprotina. Both goats and figs are sacred to Juno in this aspect, goats being notoriously randy, and figs being prolifically seedy. The milky sap of the fig tree also links to the concept of fertility, and to Juno as Mother Goddess.

The scent is of goat’s milk, ripe fig, and a hint of sweet myrrh.

Please note: no goats were milked in the process of creating this scent. It is an accord, and this scent is vegan.

I saw goat's milk in the notes list and immediately ordered this scent. Goat's milk perfume - how perfect and wonderful. But now it's here on my wrist and what. is. wrong. with my stupid nose!! I can't smell the goat's milk at all. I love goat's milk. I know what it smells like. Slightly salty, pungent, creamy. But no!! I'm not even getting a HINT of goat's milk. All I'm getting is the fig, sweet and earthy but bland, and something slightly off that smells like burnt sugar and plastic. This is the horrible grating plastic note that I got from Obatala. Oh my god. Words cannot describe how disappointing this is. I think I'm going to go cry now. Edited by Shollin

This is a rather unusual scent. When I opened and applied some from my decant, I hadn't reminded myself of the notes, and I thought to myself, hm, buttery! Not Jack "pumpkin" buttery, but a little more grounded, earthy buttery. I think that's just the combination of the goat's milk note and the fig. I don't detect the myrrh at all, or not much. If I do, it's way in the background. The goat's milk does have a tiny bit of the sourness I associate with goat's milk, but the whole thing is sweetened by the fig, so it isn't unpleasant at all.

Eventually it fades to something pretty close to my skin's own smell, as far as I can tell.

It's not a very "me" scent, but it's really well-done. Fig lovers should like this a lot. I'd say goat's milk lovers would too, but I don't know how common that is since there aren't many scents that have that note. :lol:

Bottle: A milk note very reminiscent of Milk moon 07 and Ichabod Crane, along with an almost-red-citrus kind of smell…not what I was expecting from fig (one of my note loves!)

Wet: Rich, creamy milk note and an underlying (but not particularly figgy) fruitiness. This milk note strikes me as “fattier” than the one in MM07/Ichabod, if that makes any sense. A little more cream, and a little less “sourness,” though still quite similar. The decreased sourness could also have something to do with the fact that this fruit isn’t as acidic as that pineapple-y note I get from MM07.

Drying: almost a white chocolate butter-ness (that’s how rich the milk is) and the fruity fig-ish note.

Dry: Oh, discernable fig, there you are!!! Fig and an almost cocoa-butter rich cream. MMMmmmm.. This is where it stays. The fig is not the earthier/woodsier type, but smells a lot juicier and somehow redder than many others. Its still fig, though, and very nice indeed. Lasts 5-6 hrs.

Overall: I like it! I’ll hold onto it and see how it develops. I didn’t really get myrrh from this, and as it ages, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Very iiinteresting...

I was also a little leery or the goat milk note since milk notes don't often work on me in general. I was hoping for something similar to my beloved Miller vs. CA with its similar fig and cream notes. This was heavy on both when first applied and very, very reminiscent of Eden (the second bpal I ever tried - awww :) ) but it quickly turned into a sharp, bitter, and sour smell. Like a thick slab of goat cheese. Hrm. After awhile it settled into a thick, creamy, odiferous and slightly goaty smell. This is probably not a keeper, but I'll try it again to be sure.

I love this...I knew I would! It is very reminiscent of Milk Moon '07, except that Milk Moon aged past its initial sourness, and I really cope Nonae Caprotina does not. It's delectably pungent and creamy and sweet. It makes me really happy to wear it. I have rounded up a few imps but I may yet find myself a bottle because I want to slather like crazy and inflict it on everyone around me. I love it!

I was a little leery about the goat's milk --- but the milk is more along the lines found in Milk Moon 2007, with fig. It's more of a kissing cousin to Horn of Amalthea for me, as MM2007 went sour on my skin. A bit pungent, and a it sweet.

In the vial: syrupy milk and figs - very sweet and thick.

Wet on skin: I've never smelled goat's milk, but this has a nutty quality that reminds me of breastmilk! The fig and myrrh are warm, sweet and earthy. Unique and lovely!

Dry on skin: gorgeous warm fig and myrrh - sweet, brown, almost-but-not-quite foody. The milk morphs into butter, and it's nutty and earthy, with an odd trace of goat that comes and goes! It reminds me of walking into a shop that sells home-made skincare products, where the air is filled with a mix of lovely, natural aromas. After 5 hours, it's mostly butter. I could consider getting a bottle of this. It's really special!

Considered verdict: I love this scent, but it is just that bit too weird for me to buy a bottle. There's a rank cheesiness to the goats' milk, which is just enough to spoil the gorgeous fig and myrrh for me. I'll stick to the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil for my fig fixes!

Imp: The milk note is very similar to Milk Moon 07. Maybe not quite as strong though.

Wet: Initially it is very, very similar to what I remember but less complex. I had a very visceral reaction to MM07 that I'm just not getting here. It is lighter and doesn't seem as ancient as MM did. The sweetness is pretty though.

Dry: It sort of puts me in mind of some sort of savory desert made with whipped and sweetened goat cheese and figs. I like it but not enough. :huh?:

Nonae Caprotina is delicious! For me, the fig is dominant, and it's quite delicious. The milk sweetens the fig and makes it ridiculously creamy. I haven't seen anybody mention it in the thread, but I sort of see a similarity to Monsterbait: Closet in that it's a dark fruit note paired with a foody note (milk/cake). Nonae seems a bit lighter than Closet though, so more appropriate for summer; despite that, it has decent throw and staying power. I slathered it on before heading in to work this morning and can still smell some faint traces six hours later.

I really do like it, but I don't think I'm going to pick up a bottle simply because probably 80% of my BPAL is a dark fruit + foody/candy scent. Still, I will savor the decant.

goats milk, ripe fig and myrrh is a wonderfull combination! :evol:

especially for those lonely wionternights everyone has once in a while -_-

this will go perfectly together with a large and hot cup of chocomel!

In the botle - Honey, figs and a touch of coconut, quite a butter scent

Wet on me - A warm, buttery, slightly tart, fruit scent. It's actually a little overpowering.

Dry on me - It settles into a slightly queazy condensed milk scent

Overall - I don't know quite why, but this blend never wuite seems to settle right on me

This is pretty much juicy fig with just the perfect amount of sweet cream. This is almost a dead ringer to Bodicea Bath Oil, only I think there is more of a vanilla vibe to the bath oil. This makes me VERY happy, as I love that blend, and now I have something that will last longer on my skin. This is so juicy on me, I almost wish the milk came out a bit more. But I do love this, definitely a keeper, and I'll look forward to seeing how it ages. :wub2:

Milk is one of my favorite notes, so obviously I had to try Nonae Caprotina. I love Milk Moon 2007 and I hoped that this would be similar, only without the tangy grape note that MM07 has.

I am not disappointed. It's sweet, almost sugary, creamy milk with the myrrh to give it a bit of depth and smoothness. Depending on my varying skin chemistry this almost gets a little too sweet and sugary at times, but most of the time it's just right.

Beautiful and just what I hoped for. I'm glad I have two bottles of it. :heart:

Edited by Maia

This is gorgeous. Not terribly complicated on me; just simple, warm, vanilla-tinged fig and goat's milk blend.

The goat's milk is beautiful, and not immediately recognizable as goat's milk. No sourness at all on me (thank goodness, since I was worried). Sensing a tiny bit of red apple, as well.

Just a lovely, comforting scent. I think I'm going to be wearing this a lot this fall.

This is the first of the Lab's milk notes I've tried, and it was a really interesting experience even though I didn't end up liking it. It really did smell a lot like opening a can of goat's milk, a rich scent with a slightly sharp tang. It smells a little bit like old sweat to me, which goat's milk can do.

I got no fig, or at least no sweet fig ... I suppose it's possible that the fig is a sharper, milkier green fig or maybe fig sap.

I don't think I like this... I certainly don't like the milk note. I am getting a weird kind of eucalyptus type something... almost like menthol. This might be my interpretation of the milk and fig together. Regardless, I do NOT like it.

In the bottle and just applied, Nonae Caprotina is almost all fig, to my nose. A warm, sweet fig that smells specifically like dried figs and made me think "Fig Newtons!" on my first sniff. After a few seconds I can detect the milk note, which mostly reminds me of other BPAL milk blends I've tried. It's maybe a bit saltier and more concentratedly milky, but not excessively so (I was expecting something more pungently goaty, but it's just as well that it isn't). The drydown is soft, lightly sweet milk, rather like the drydown of White Rabbit only without the tea and honey, and with a bit of resin hanging out in the background. It doesn't have tons of throw, but it does last for a good long while.

I really like this one. Milky scents seem to work well on me, and this is no exception. It's now a regular part of my fall/winter scent rotation.

Nonae Caprotina

In the imp: fig and yogurt. Yup, this smells like yogurt to me, which is sour but not yucky sour milk.

Wet on skin: rich fruity yogurt with fig. Not bad!

Dry on skin: figs and milkiness. The goat’s milk is interesting. Yes it is a little sour, but not in the way that it makes me recoil. This is a sourness that reminds me of yogurt. It is a little richer than the usual milk note and the more I smell it, I swear I start to get the slightest hint of mild cheese. Not strong cheesy stinky cheese, but more of a soft creamy white goat’s cheese scent. However this still reminds me of yogurt, and there’s a lot of fig in here. The fig also smells very sharp, a little sweet, but this is a tangy fig note. No myrrh yet. This reminds me strongly of Milk Moon 07 as well.

After a while: the fig becomes stronger, the scent loses the initial creamy scent and becomes a sharp sour fig. It still smells quite pleasant but the fig is a little too sharp for me, I was hoping for a softer fig note. It still reminds me of MM07, without the honey and pomegranate notes, this is more straightforward.

Verdict: this isn’t too bad. It is a little too milky/dairy for my tastes but it’s not as rancid as I feared. It smells a little bit like a fig yogurt. The fig isn’t a deep brown fig but a greenish one that is tangy and tart, a bit leafy. It does remind me of fresh figs though, drenched in goat’s milk yogurt. The myrrh on the other hand is nowhere to be seen (smelt?) which is a shame…it then turns a little sharper at the end and the scent also doesn’t last very long on me. I prefer creamy scents that aren’t too ‘dairy’ (with Milk Moon 07 being an exception) and sweeter fig scents so this isn’t a keeper.

Emoticon rating: :)

Is it a keeper? Nope.

If you like this, try: Milk Moon 07, Carnal, The Sea Foams Milk, Obatala

I am at a loss for words.

On me this is a very sweet, warm creamy, vanilla chocolate scent!

This is a very lovely scent, but I think it may be too sweet for my liking. I want to smell good not want to be eaten (or I suppose it depends who the hungry person is…)

Update a while later ... this reminds me of somthing from my childhood but I can't place it!!

Edited by Lilly

Please let me squeal and dance about with JOY.

This is wonderful. It's creamy and sugary and just a touch sour. I'm really wishing I had picked up a bottle of this when it was live. The myrrh doesn't show up at all, except to sweeten the blend and ground it a little. The fig isn't particularly juicy but it is earthy and sweet, and the goat's milk is likewise sweet. This smells like a drink you'd sip in a lawn chair out on tall summer grass. LOVE.

This smells exactly like when I was vacationing in Italy- rollerblading along the coast, past some fig trees, a light breeze. I had received the bottle a little before, but didn't take it with me on my vacation. While skating the thought "Nonae Caprotina" suddenly came to me.

Perfect!

This is lush and simple and gorgeous. The fig is sharply sweet, and the milk lends a lovely, slightly sour, creaminess to the blend--that is, the fig makes it sweet, not the milk. I don't pull myrrh from it, but there is a faint sweet-smokiness that isn't all fig. This is very warm and nummy, though it doesn't strike me as foody. (Then again, I don't eat figs, so...) It's very pretty and earthy, and I think quite unique, perfume-wise.

Sniffed: Sweet, rich milk.

On skin: The milk is smooth and gentle, but it is completely overwhelmed by a sugary sweet yet fruit-like note that can only be fig. Myrrh is nowhere to be found. Nonae Caprotina is nothing but rich, full SUGAR in overdrive. A simple scent -- clear, uplifting, and innocent. Colour impression is shining milk-white, yet somehow translucent too.

Verdict: This blend screams Sugar Rush!!!! Eugh. It's way too sweet for me; I may have to avoid fig in future. For swaps!

Origin:

5mL bought on Livejournal.

Preconceived notions:

For reasons I don't quite understand, I'm a fan of milk and cream scents. And the idea of a goat's milk scent fascinates me, especially in combination with myrrh (which I love) and fig (which I'm neutral about). I think this could be really unique and really awesome. Or it could be an epic failure. It depends on just how goaty the goat's milk is, I think. :P

First sniff:

Mmm, I like this! It's most definitely not the standard BPAL milk or cream note. It's not sweet. It's very strong, slightly musky and a bit on the pungent side. It's also very realistic. Scents that remind me of farms are happy scents for me and Nonae Caprotina reminds me of a farm, only without the manure and other unpleasant smells. I don't get anything other than goat's milk, straight out of the bottle. No fig, no myrrh. Just milk.

Wet on skin:

Definitely a scent to apply with a light hand. I dabbed this on from the cap and that little dot was plenty strong. Wet on my skin, it's the same as the bottle. Rich, heavy goat's milk. It has a very unique smell to it that's a bit hard to describe if you've never smelled it before. The best I can do to describe it is to say that it's like milk with added butter that's starting to smell just a little bit sour, mixed with some musk. But in a good way.

Dry down:

I never do get anything but milk from this, which is just a little bit disappointing (I would have loved to have gotten some myrrh and even some fig from this), but in spite of that, I really like this and it works. It's one of the simplest BPAL scents I've come across but it's utterly unique. Definitely not something you're going to find from a mainstream perfume company.

Wearing this scent makes me feel like a freshly-scrubbed, freckle-cheeked farm girl out milking the goats (again, without the manure smell that tends to go along with that). It's a comforting scent, although not in the traditional sense.

The bottom line:

I think Nonae Caprotina may be one of those love it or hate it scents, because I can definitely see where my love could be someone else's hate. It's an intense scent and an unusual one, but it really works for me. I don't think I'll need more than one bottle because a little goes a long way, but I'll definitely be getting plenty of use out of it. ^_^