Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
marared

Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel

Polycarbonate and metallic film monuments to domestic whimsy, whirling merrily in the summer breeze.

Raspberry, lime, blueberry, tangerine, lemon, juniper, and white grape.

In the vial: juniper, with a hodge-podge of multicoloured fruits.

Wet on skin: so many fruits it's hard to pick out individual ones. Bright and fizzy, and the juniper calms down a little and just adds a breezy freshness to the fruit.

Dry on skin: like a fizzy drink, only it's not sweet.

out of the Summer Garden Miniseries (+Sti.nky), this is the one i just *knew* would be awful on me. i don't like raspberries or lemon and juniper (more often than not) makes things go haywire.

when will i ever learn?!

this is the ONE scent that i really truly like out of the whole bunch!

it is a light, slightly fruity, *bubbly* smelling fun scent. there might be a touch of some sort of booze in there somewhere - like a fancy champagne based brunch drink... but i think there's more simple syrup than alcohol in this drink. i don't think i'll need more than this one bottle, but i'm certain i'll wear it although i'm not sure exactly when.

This is a really fun, summer scent. In the bottle, I definitely get a boozy quality that others have mentioned, like an alcoholic fruit punch. On my skin, it mellows out a bit and has a bit of a powdery Sweet Tarts quality. It's light, fun and lasts a good amount of time.

On drydown, it actually smells quite similar to Swank and Hamptons (which are completely interchangeable to my nose) on me. Alas, all the fruity scents seem to end up the same on my skin. At least it's a smell I like!

This is an amazing scent memory for me. It smells like those packets of fruit-flavored sugar that I used to eat with those solid-sugar spoons - the ones that eventually made my tongue hurt, and had to be chased down with iced coke.

Sniffing this, both in the bottle and on the skin, I can pick up every nuance of that tart and sweet mix, that watered-down aroma of coke in the summer - and then something cool and almost faintly metallic underlying it all. It's sweet but not cloying. Refreshing in fact, and if they could bottle this as a drink, I think they would make a killing. It smells like childhood.

In bottle: Yeurgh. It smells like somebody made fruit punch using Fanta Orange as the base. Gross! Fanta Orange tends to make me want to throw up - luckily the other berry and fruit scents are numbing that reflex, but yuck. Oh well, sometimes things change when you put it on your skin, right?

Wet: Berries! And lime! And effervescence! Like soda water. The orange has disappeared! Hooray! But what a strange scent for a perfume.

Dry: I smell fizzy! Like someone took a bunch of the flavoured soda waters and mixed them all together into a great big METAL bath (I smell something metallic) and I decided it was a good idea to bath in it. Very bizarre and playful. I am not sure if it is quite me.

A while later: I smell fresh and a little like fruit and berries. As if I had *just* stepped out of the shower after using a nice berry and fruit shower gel. There is still a slight fizziness to this, but not much. I think this is not going to be used until the weather warms up again, but it could be very nice for a playful summer's day.

Ooh, it must be the gin/juniper note that I love so much here. :lol: Very nice tart, evervescent orange, perfect for summer, quite reminiscent of a "girly" drink. This is pretty much like Velvet Pink Kitty, only with orange instead of strawberry. I really like this, I'll keep the imp, but I like VPK better for my gin fix.

In the bottle: Whoa, fizzy! I didn't think fizzy could be a scent, but here it is!

Wet: Reminds me of some sweets that I can't for the life of me remember what they are, but it's pretty much exactly like them! It's nice, very summery!

Dry: The lemon and lime are the most prominent. Not quite my thing, but it is nice.

I realized today I need a bottle of this. It is like fizzy fruit punch with juniper all mixed in. It reminds me a lot of Blue Fire which I like.

Mmmmmmm, love!!

In the bottle, pinwheel is fizzy and sweet...I can TOTALLY see the namesake in my mind when I sniff it! It kind of reminds me of the smell of my favorite tourist-trap shop in a place we went camping a lot as a family.

On me, it's still deliciously fizzy and sweet. I'm almost smelling something...soapy? Like Ivory soap, nearly...but there's still the sweet fruitiness underneath.

It's hard to tell what I'm smelling the most of, but I'm thinking that I adore this scent, and am grateful to have been able to get a bottle! :joy:

EDIT - Nearly 6 hours later, it's still faintly sweet and fizzy. Keeper!!!! :heart:

Edited by BrainCake

In the bottle this doesn't smell much different to me than Fruit Moon.

On, it's almost identical to Fruit Moon but with a sprig of Juniper.

Both are really good scents on me though, so that's a plus :)

This feels like it should be in the same line as the Atomic Luau Lounge scents - very fruity and fizzy. It smells more like a fruity beverage than a basket of fruits.

However, something quickly makes this smell like soap on my skin. Very fruity, fizzy soap, but soap nonetheless. I'm thinking it may be the blueberry, as Crawdad Dreams sometimes tries to do that on me but the other notes hold it in check.

Wow. I am going to be in the minority when I say...It smelled like an unopened can of Mello-Yello that sank to the bottom of the ocean and stayed there for many years. The corrosion of the can leeched into the soda and rendered it undrinkable and very acidic. Of course I have no clue what that would actually smell like but that's what I imagined. :lol: In the vial and on my skin it was nauseatingly metallic lemon-lime with some kind of other note that woke up my gag reflex. :ack:

This oil isn't screwing around. I can hear it screaming through my imp box, even though it hasn't leaked, and it says, I AM A CAN! A CAN OF SPARKLING FRUITY SODA. IN A CAN!

I haven't tried many metallic-smelling oils, so this is a really interesting change of pace. Another unfamiliar quality is its effervescence, which brings to mind carbonation. On my skin, I get more tangy and sugary fruitiness. I can't distinguish any fruits in particular, although if I had to guess I'd say berries and citrus. Still, the metallic elements are strong during the wet phase, reminding me again of having my nose up to a freshly opened can of soda. Dry, the "carbonation" eases off, but the metallic fruitiness lingers. Color associations: fluorescent pink and yellow. It lasted 7+ hours and didn't change noticeably in the drydown. I love the previous reviewer's description of it as a "can of Mello-Yellow," except it smells kind of good to me: fresh, sharp and glittery. Too hyper for every day, but perfect for amusement park rides and summer vacation sugar highs.

WOW!! This scent practically screams and jumps off my skin with excitment!

Fizzy orange goodness. Citrus carbonation with floral undertones. I get bits of raspberry soap mixed in with the metallic fizziness! I :heart:

How did I not ever review this? It's one of my favorite scents! Definitely fizzy, sparkly, fruity, fun with a little naughty booziness. This has become my winter go-to scent when I want to dream of summer days.

This is a perfect fruity summer scent. Not too serious, something for lying on the beach, drinking some frilly cocktail.

Kind-of like the Luau Lounge scents, Upa Upa et al.

This scent was interesting in the bottle- but there WAS a metallic underscent which gave me pause. Shoulda listened to my instincts because as soon as it went on all I smelled was scorched metal. As it dried down, it just got worse and worse.

In the imp: Fruit punch!

Fresh on skin, it still smells like fruit punch, or a mixed-fruit candy. I smell citrus (mainly the tangerine) and... what smells like cherry, though it isn't in the listed notes. It reminds me of cherry or raspberry limeade - there's a bit of tartness to it, but it's very... juicy, and actually makes me salivate. Weird. o_o

As it dries, I'm starting to smell the juniper, which gives it almost a "chilly" edge, probably due to my association with it and winter smells. Now it reminds me of a fruity popsicle. Fruit punch, limeade, popsicles -- this scent reminds me of summer all the way. It's a warm spring day, today; it does fit the weather but I think this will have to be a summer-only scent for me. It really reminds me of sitting on the deck outside eating popsicles and reading a book during the summer. The "Summer Garden" collection name really fits Pinwheel.

It's pretty light overall on my skin. I think the decant is a keeper, but don't know if I'll be tracking down a bottle.

This is my very first review! I thought I should probably start with the scent that has turned out to be my absolute favourite, though I may not be able to do justice to it.

There's something about this to me that just smells like sunshine and happiness -- it's like the most cheerful, bright, summer's day, outside on the deck in the sun, with a rainbow of fruit ices while a tiny breeze ghosts across your skin and carries a sparkling suggestion of metal.

Sometimes, I just like to open the bottle and sniff, because it's a fizzy, fruity, cheerful thing of beauty that always makes me smile. There's a part of me that's almost afraid the effervescence will burn off -- that's how realistic of a fizzy scent it is.

I came across this because the reviews mentioned Fruit Moon (long before I actually got into BPAL, I was gifted an imp of that), and I figured I'd never get my hands on a bottle of FM: this is better. I'd told myself that I wasn't going to be a bottle hoarder, but I just had to get a backup of this, because it means I can wear it as often as I'd like without worrying I'm going to run out quickly.

In the bottle - Fizzy lemonade and lime

Wet on me - Sweet and light and fizzy like ginger ale but with fruit instead of the kick

Dry on me - A faint hazy musk

Overall - The wet stages are very pretty, but it fades really quickly on my skin

Fizzy raspberries. Not real raspberries. More raspberry syrup. I didn't really get booze from this. It's more like smelling raspberry sherbet and a glass of sprite. A nice fun scent for summer!

Smells how a raspberry lemon/lime spritzer tastes.

I'm new to metallics but effervescents I've played with a bit. Nothing screams metallicy to me at least, so this seems like a nice way to ease into them.