Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
marared

Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel

Polycarbonate and metallic film monuments to domestic whimsy, whirling merrily in the summer breeze.

Raspberry, lime, blueberry, tangerine, lemon, juniper, and white grape.

Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel is the Garden Series oil I was most looking forward to. I won't say I'm disappointed, but it's not quite all that I had hoped. It lives up to the listed notes, it's just that in my head, it was different. I get a lot of lime, gin, and blueberry at first, and then the other fruits come out to play. It smells like sparkling fruit punch. It's a fun scent, I just won't need more than my little decant.

Yesyesyes!! The Tiki bar series was a huge hit with me last year and this is so much like Blue Fire--gin and effervescent fruits! Smells like a delicious tropical drink (with an umbrella in it, of course). Just lovely and very refreshing.

Yes! This does remind me of Blue Fire - I wondered what that familiar scent was.

The first time I opened the vial it was EXTREMELY "fizzy" smelling. I don't really care for the boozy/fizzy blends so I tossed it aside without skin testing it for a couple days. I opened it up today and it's much more of a Hawaiian Punch scent. Sorta like that sparkling party punch people make with the ice cream (ok, I assume the semi-solid white cream stuff in it is ice cream).

I'm undecided - the first time I smelled it I was like NONONONONO and now I'm thinking it's not as bad - who knows what's up with that.

Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel

:love!:

It's sparkly and fizzy and fruity and oh so much fun! This is a scent which says, "Let's strip to our skivvies and jump in the sprinklers!" It's summer fun and carelessness in a bottle.

:hippie:

Sniffed: Bright lemon-yellow oil. Sweet, fizzy fruit! It kind of smells like those red-white-blue rocket popsicles. Or some summer childhood edible. As well as sherbert, sorbet, and Sprite. There's also a creamy candy undernote very reminiscent of Velvet Unicorn. The juniper is there, but well-behaved.

Wet: More juniper, which makes me think gin/booze, and it's still very Sprite-fizzy, the same lemon-lime soda note that I got from Independent. It dries nearly immediately on me, and starts losing the sweeter notes - the white grape especially. It's mostly citrus with a little hint of berry (not distinct - I can't pick out either raspberry or blueberry individually).

Dry: I like juniper, but must it always amp on my skin? It's even going sort of piney-mentholic, eek. To be fair, it could be that my skin eats citrus so here, the dissipating citrus makes the juniper appear stronger, too. It's not yet *bad*, but I liked it more the first 10 minutes on my skin.

Later: Aww. This does not dry down well on me - it goes to juniper, but as my roommate noted, there's also a weird nutty note, like peanut. And it's not pleasant. Maybe a delayed reaction to the raspberry and/or blueberry, both of which tend towards artificial/plastic on me?

Summary: Faintly fruity, nutty juniper. Low throw and fades extremely quickly on my skin. I'm sad because I love the smell in the imp and early stages. Maybe to retry in the scent locket.

:(

Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel - The first thing I notice is sweet effervescence, almost like champagne, but the juniper makes it smell kind of gin-like...sort of like Twenty-One, but VERY FRUITY. It's sweet and delicious and yummy, :yum: and I totally want to drink it in a pretty martini glass while wearing pretty shoes, kind of like Sex & the City. :lol: If you like Spiked Punch, you'll definitely like this one.

Imp: Soda pop!

Wet: Fizzy fruity fun! Sorry to go all alliteration on this piece, but it's a cheery scent

Drydown: It's pure summer glee. Fizzy and fruity. The juniper's behaving and I can get just about all the fruit from it.

Overall: It's a fun little scent. I might just be tempted to get a bottle!

Ooh this is nice. Pinwheel really pops in the way the gin note in Blue Fire or Velvet Pink Kitty makes your nose tingle. It truly is like fizzy fruit punch, SO delicious on my skin in the heat.

Throw and staying power are average for me.

Fizzy indeed!

Husband proclaimed "PEZ!", and I can accept that.

My version is if SweeTarts worked like Alka Selzter, it's be like Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel.

:lol:

juniper could make or break this blend for me, but I HAD to try it with all those delicious fruits.

When first applied, it smells like fizzy lemon candies. I like THAT.

After a few minutes, the fizziness fades a little, but not completely. Now there is more fruit and less juniper, non of the dreaded bathroom-y scent I sometimes get from juniper or gin blends. Yum!

In the bottle: I'm detecting all the fruit notes here separately, and maybe a whiff of the juniper.

Wet: Now the fruit notes are blending together, but not too much so. The juniper is like a light green base note.

The dry-down: The metallic-plastic note (i.e. the juniper) is not very present, but keeps the fruits in check. All the fruits are present and well-blended now. Others at the DSWC agreed with me that this is a "hit"! I like this more than I expected to like it, and I expected to like it a lot! :) I think that this is a perfect summertime scent for those who like these fruits. The blueberry note reminds me somewhat of the berry note in Blue Phoenix, but really more like the blueberry note in Berry Moon.

Ooooh, this is neat! It starts out reminding me of these wafers from the 60s called Fizzys that you dropped into water and Voila! you had pseudo-carbonated drink.

When ti dries, the juniper comes out strong. The combination of the fizz and evergreen is just... well... NEAT. I like this a lot.

Like everyone has already mentioned, Metallic Pinwheel reminds me of Blue Fire in the bottle and on my skin at first. The juniper smells like fizzy gin on me, the blueberry takes over & is the strongest notes in the blend, and the other citrus notes add a bit of zest underneath everything. The blueberry is very sweet and candied on me (like blueberry bubblegum), so it's nice to have the citrus and juniper to cut through its sweetness a bit.

As it dries down, this is actually more fizzy and effervescent smelling on me than Blue Fire was. Where Blue Fire got sweeter on me as it dried down, this fades quickly into an explosion of sharp fizz. It's like the perfume equivalent of seltzer water on my skin.

I don't know if this works so well on me. It might be nice for layering with other fruity scents, though.

White grape. You bastard. Every time you appear in a new BPAL, I try to forget how nasty you smell like sour gin on my skin and hope that the other lovely notes will triumph over your vile boozy presence. And every time, you laugh in my face with your acrid pungentness (what? pungentness is so a word!).

I wanted raspberry, lime, blueberry and tangerine. I wanted sweet fruity goodness. Instead, I got white grape, white grape and white grape. I eventually had to wash this off after about 20 minutes, it was actually making me feel a little nauseous. So for me, SMMP goes into the swap pile. Oh how I envy you folks whose skin doesn't amp white things :(

Gyaaah. Why did I not get a bottle of this? Oh, so wonderfully fruity and AWESOME. This is like Blue Fire slutted around with some other fruits, and had a bunch of mulatto babies. GLEE.

(And so we learn my love of Blue Fire, and adorable mulatto babies.)

Also, I did end up getting a bottle. :) ... It will be here soon.

LOVE.

Fizzy. Check

Fruity. Check

Sweet. Check

This is a great summer blend. Fun, light, and totally drinkable. love it.

This is what I'd call a "pale fruity" scent. It's fruity in that it has a vague blueberry scent to it with a touch of lime. But it's not very strong and it's backed by a watery, ozone like scent. It's kind of a subtle way to wear a fruity scent, so I imagine it would appeal to someone who needed something that wasn't in-your-face or shockingly sweet :)

In the imp: Bright, fizzy fruit--heavy on the lime and white grape

Wet on skin: The fizziness (which, as others have said, is probably from the juniper) is more soda-like than alcoholic on me. And the fruits are well-blended so I can't really pick anything out except for the lime.

Dry on skin: This was surprisingly long-lasting on me--over five hours. It didn't morph much, although the fizziness did die down somewhat after an hour.

Me likey! This is a nice summer scent.

Now that I've read the PEZ description, that is all I can think about.

This is similar to Velvet Pink Kitty but fruity and tart rather than pink and sugary.

In bottle/imp: Fruity and fizzy with a base of juniper and grape.

Immediately on skin: This smells fizzy and slightly alcoholic, but very fruity. The juniper and grape are what give this blend that fizzy, alcoholic quality while the other notes flit around. All the other fruits really blend together, and this has a definite citrus overtone.

After a little while: The juniper dies down a little after drying and the fruits come out a bit more, though this is still a very fizzy, citrus-dominated fruit scent. I smell hints of the berries and grape but the mandarin seems to be the strongest note of all. This scent is very focused and doesn’t waft about; it just strikes your nose with its fizzy fruitiness.

Overall Impressions: This is like a super fizzy, super fruity drink with just a bit of alcohol from the juniper and grape. It’s very much a warm weather scent when you want to smell something refreshing and bright. The citrus comes out quite a bit, but there’s enough of the other fruits to keep it interesting. Nice, but not quite me unfortunately.

Initially, I was hesitant about Spinning Multicolored Metallic Pinwheel. Typically I don't favor the overly fruity blends, but the description just sounded so PERFECT for a nice summer blend. Suffice to say, I was not displeased with the result!

In the Bottle: Super fizzy fruity YUM. Really well blended, but I can just pick out the raspberry (a very tart raspberry at that) and a bit of the lime. Are you sure we can't drink this?

Wet: Instantly becomes less tart and more sweet upon application, but stays SUPER FIZZY. The raspberries are still the most notable of the fruity notes, and the lime/lemon blending in to keep the blend from becoming too sweet.

Drydown: Hmmmm, the fizzyness dies down a tad, the white grape and blueberries making the blend almost too sweet for my tastes as the lime and lemon notes have left. It does begin to remind me of Hi-C/Kool-Aid, though not nearly as much as The Hamptons did. The juniper makes a small cameo appearance here, and the fruits take on a distinct candied/overly sugared feel, but that stage is gone almost immediately.

Later On: the throw on this blend as it dries is pretty low - all I can catch is a vaguely fruity fizzyness wafting up to my nose. When I huff my wrist it's still notably raspberries, once again bringing to mind Hi-C/Kool-Aid, but with a almost stale/soapy feel to it; but don't worry, that's only up close at the wrist level!

Overall Impressions: I really rather like this one! It surprised me in it's ability to stay REALLY fizzy the entire time I wore it, and that it wasn't overly sweet with all those fruity notes. I never get an alcoholic/gin feel with the blend, which I am very happy about, nor does the juniper ever really make an appearance. While I don't see myself wearing this any time other than summer, I do see it becoming a frequent part of the rotation in the warmer months.

Oh, and on a further note, this scent does NOT benefit from slathering, for some reason it just amps the otherwise slight soapyness.

Edited by haley

In the bottle: Lots of fizzy lime soda with a bit of blueberry thrown in.

Wet: Even more lime soda with a few hints of berry wafting off occasionally, I'm really enjoying this.

Dry: Dry it just becomes lime soda on me, but I really like it. It's like a high quality lime soda, like the sort GrownUp Soda would sell, not overly sweet, with a real lime flavor. It's a definite keeper!

A virgin Blue Fire + Hawaiian Punch & club soda! :yum: :wub2: :joy:

Fizzy, fruity, sparkling...delicious!

Fruit lovers should NOT miss out on this one!

Oddly enough, the lime fizziness puts me in mind to the Aqua Vitae v2 prototype... except SMMP is fruitier and sweeter. I definitely get the glimpses of Hi-C/Hawaiian Punch in this and yes, perhaps oddly reminiscent to Pez Candy. I definitely get the gin vibe, since this has juniper.

This one is fun, playful and fizzy. Those that are afraid of boozy scents or have struck out with BPAL's champagne note, should try this for the effervescent fizz. Much more wearable than AV v2 proto.

Let me get one thing straight. I love fruity scents. Normally fruity scents love me, but I guess there has to be an exception here and there.

This was the scent I was most looking forward to from the July update, but it's disappointing. I can smell the fruits, but there's one note that smells slightly sour, and makes the other fruits smell plasticky. Maybe it's juniper, because I haven't tried a blend with it in before and have never had a problem with any of the other notes. I would happily drink something that smelt like this, but I don't think I'll be getting much use from my decant. I have a bottle of Blue Fire that works that much better.