Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

The Festival of Anuket

Anuket is the Embracer, a Goddess of Passion and of the waters of the Nile that caress the land and bring forth fruitfulness. She is the Nourisher of the Fields, the Giver of Life, and She Who Shoots Forth. A goddess of the hunt, archers, movement, and speed, she has the head of a gazelle, and sometimes wears a headdress of ostrich feathers. She is a protector of children at birth, and nursed many of the great pharaohs of Egypt.

Shimmering offerings of gold scattered through life-giving, fertile waters.

In wearing this I imagine a regal queen...lifting a bowl of clear/blue green water laced with powdered gold. As she raises her hands to the sky to ask for a blessing she smiles and prays for the goddess to answer her prayers and give her a son.

This is a wonderful aquatic blend. It reminds me a little bit of Water Phoenix...but it is not so strong. In fact...it's very light. But I do smell the gold in this :eek: I am going to let it settle and age for a bit....but this will be the perfect scent for the summer. :wub2:

In bottle/imp: Cool, cologne-y water with a metallic brightness to it. So yeah, gold and water.

Immediately on skin: This is a cool, metallic water scent. It has quite an aquatic feel, but it’s not as sharp on me as some of the lab’s other aquatic scents. The gold feel is sort of metallic with maybe some dry white musk and very light citrus. It’s metallic, but warm.

After a little while: This blend gets a little softer on my skin as I wear it, but other than that it doesn’t change much. It settles nicely into this metallic aquatic scent, but it’s gentler on me than other bpal aquatic blends I’ve tried. The water is cool and glistening, and the gold note manages to be shiny, metallic, and slightly warming all at the same time. It’s bright with just a nice crisp scent with a golden, gleaming warmth to it. This scent is quite lovely and definitely a more unisex blend.

Overall Impressions: This is cool and clean with a metallic, warm feel mixed in. It’s really crisp and those who like aquatic, “clean smelling,” or metallic scents may really like this one. It’s definitely more unisex, but I think it could smell fabulous on a woman. Personally this a little bit more crisp than I like my blends, so it’s not really for me, but it’s still a great scent.

Um... well...

In bottle: Metallic, slightly cologne-y, and faintly reminiscent of Phoenix Steamworks. It differs a bit-- rather than sun- and heat- warmed metal, it's more of a cool metal. Definitely getting the "gold" aspect.

On/wet: The "gold" note, for the most part... then a little citrus. Cool water. Hmm... musk of some kind? Not sure, but a pale one...

Drydown: Gold, WHITE MUSK ( ???? ack ). What???? Apparently not enough " white musk " pr whatever this note is to set off my allergies.... but... in conjunction with the other notes, definitely enough to turn it utterly to soap. ARGH. NO, please! Guest soap-- expensive guest soap, granted, but, um, yeah. No.

Overall: I was really hoping this one would work out-- right off the bat it smelled lovely, like a cooler and lighter version of Phoenix Steamworks (which I love, even if it does sometimes wear a bit cologne-y), but the whole turning to soap thing is a dealbreaker. Gah. I waited an hour and a half and it did not turn back, so likely not keeping this.

Just got mine in the mail today --

In the bottle it smells like cool spring water with a hint of a cologne-like note beneath.

Wet: I panicked for a moment - fresh on the skin it's some sort of overpowering, cheap men's cologne, like the CVS knockoff of 'Cool Water' or something. Aiee! Thankfully, that lasted all of 5 minutes and then it's back to the cool water note - I'm reminded of Tempest in some ways. I can't pick out notes if my life depended on it, and as I'm not rich enough to know what gold smells like... yeah.

Dry: After a few minutes, it mellows down to a cool mountain spring sort of scent, but warmer. Like sitting in the sun smelling the spring, if that makes sense. I think there's a hint of amber in here, and a faintly powdery floral note I can't identify. (I'm probably way off.) It has almost NO throw on me once it's dry, making it a perfect office scent for warm weather. I feel clean and fresh. This is a good unisex scent, as others have mentioned - it's not too floral or girly, too heady... it's just a soft, clean scent that stays just shy of turning soapy or powdery on my skin.

Definitely a keeper - I'm glad I took my chances ordering this. :wub2:

When I first sniffed this at Will Call, I didn't know how to describe it in terms of scent-just in terms of image. Shimmering gold particles, almost holographic, in clean, flowing water.

Now that I have a bottle and can apply and take some time to sniff, I think I can describe it a bit more clearly. This is a metallic/aquatic scent. I don't usually do well with aquatics, but this isn't a salty or seaweedy aquatic. This is probably the freshest, cleanest aquatic bpal I have ever tried. The kind of aquatic note I wanted Water Phoenix to be. Alongside this fresh water note is a slightly cologne-y metallic note-the shimmering offerings of gold if you will. If you are a fan of bpal metallics (like Torture Queen/Kataniya), this blend would be something you should atleast try to sniff!

Overall, this is an amazing creation of Beth's-the scent matches the concept so perfectly!

Inside the imp, aquatic cologne.

On the skin, very aquatic, but I am also getting a metallic sharp note along with that same cologne-like scent.

I don't hate this scent, but it's nothing I would reach for. Nice to try a decant of it though.

In the decant it's a very clean, fresh, aquatic.

Wet on my skin I get an aquatic with a hint of something such as honey dew melon. Just a hint.. that comes out again once in a while as it is dry, as well.

This is a fairly unisex blend, as others have said. Lightly aquatic, it reminds me of a lighter version of Thunder Moon. I don't really get much metallic from this, just that crisp aquatic. Very nice.

In the imp, this is a sweet, watery blast of my youth in the summer, swimming til nightfall. There's almost something chlorine-like about it, in that it makes my throat ache, but it's not an unattractive or sharp smell. It's a very young and light scent--it doesn't have a lot of throw and lasts for a very short time (much like youth and summer).

This is a very pretty, but very jeune fille, aquatic. Celebratory, but not for me. I'll keep the imp, but I probably won't wear it again.

The Festival of Anuket-

In Bottle: Aquatic, very sharp.

Wet: Aquatic. I was a little scared to put this on because it's so sharp and cologne-y in the bottle, but it's not frightening. It is a bit sharp but mostly just very clean-smelling.

Dry: Aquatic, nothing to be fearful of, but clean and sharp.

Overall: A clean aquatic; not my thing but aquatic lovers must try this.

Like others have said, it is a very cologne-y scent. I can kind of get a hint of underlying softness. The gold comes across more as an image the scent creates, it's definitely a light and golden sort of smell but I'm not getting a metallic scent at all. It's a pleasant smell, but a little too much cologne for me to wear.

Festival of Anuket

In the imp: fresh, effervescent, almost fruity water.

Wet on skin: a spray of cool refreshing water…I can almost hear the splash.

Dry on skin: goodness me, could this be an aquatic scent that actually works on me? This might well be! This smells like a cool spray of refreshing sweet water. No soap, none of that ozone-y crackle, and no salt. Just a bright spritz of pure water. Or a scent that evokes fresh water, as it not only smells aquatic, but I can smell what may be a fruit element-not sure what fruit but it’s almost like citrus, but almost like melon or cucumber as well. There’s probably also a floral note here, maybe waterlily, or a citrus blossom? I can’t really smell the gold yet, but the scent brings up vivid images of blue sky, bright sunshine reflecting and shining through off droplets and fountains of pure, drinkable water. And the joy of such a gift of water on a hot day.

After a while: the initial watery scent does tone down but the bright, fresh scent remains, and by now it becomes a little bit more of a traditional clean scent, almost linen, but stopping short of smelling like soap/washing powder. There’s a tiny bit of something pleasantly metallic, in a Metal Phoenix/Robotic Scarab way, which I really like. I also smell a possible musk, a white or blue musk, as well as more of that fruity/floral scent that reminds me of Robotic Scarab, I think this may be part of the gold note? there’s a little sweetness, maybe white amber? The scent turns into a very pleasant clean sweet fresh scent, very much like Dirty, but a lot nicer than Dirty.

Verdict: at long last, an aquatic that works on me! It seems that this a rare find, a water scent that doesn’t turn to washing powder o’ doom on me. I found my miracle sea scent with Aeaea, but this is my miracle freshwater scent. It’s not just the scent, but also the images this scent evokes. The scent brings to mind the gift of cooling, sweet, pure water in a hot climate or a desert…like an oasis, this is the scent of water as a blessing. And it feels so joyous and festive, and I get the image of dancing water, fountains and waterfalls, and of sunlight glistening on dancing drops of clear water, playful and inviting and carefree. The scent smells of clean and clear water but there are also hints of bright clean musks, subtle fruits and floral notes and just a hint of gold. It’s perfect for summer, so refreshing as a scent and a concept. Not to mention that this is perfect in this oppresive muggy heat currently plaguing London…I think I will stock up on this one.

Emoticon rating: :wub2:

Is it a keeper? of course!

If you like this, try: Sturgeon Moon, Sea of Glass, Water Phoenix, Dirty, Sundew, Torture Queen, Metal Phoenix

This one is definitely in the same aquatic vein as Water Phoenix, with a hint of metal throw in. Unfortunately Water Phoenix's water note ended up in 'cleanser' territory, and this does not work on my skin chemistry as it dries.

On wet though.... ah, it's glorious water.

This is a gentle freshwater aquatic. It has a sharp opening, but softens quickly. A bit of a shimmery metallic zing in the drydown with a white musk...atmospheric~enjoyable...just pleasant enough to enjoy my decant.

straight sniff from imp is veeeeeeeery aquatic...

once applied there is some jasmine and the aquatic settles down...a touch of neroli maybe?

nice...

Completely aquatic on me. I could not resist the promise of gold in The Festival of Anuket, praying for a really neat metallic but fine with the possibility of amber... unfortunately, I sense neither.

There's really nothing to complain about with this one. It's perfectly fine, but just too bland on my skin. It's a chilling cologne with a tiny hint of fruit. I just can't find much to say about it. It reminds me almost precisely of Bath and Body Works' Sea Island Cotton.

I've been wanting to write a review of this since I first opened the bottle, but could not find the words. Wearing it today I realized I do not need to list the notes I pick out (because I can't) or compare it to anything else, I can tell you what I experience when I wear it. Festival of Anuket is sun shining on moving water. It brings me back to my trip to Egypt, sailing in a feluca on the Nile. The wind in the sails, the smiling faces of our Nubian crew. The feeling of gratitude and pure joy that I felt there, at that place, at that time.

feluca.jpg

It's a dry aquatic. That sounds contradictory, doesn't it? But that's what it is -- it's like your usual aquatic, which to me always seem to smell less like water than like a men's shower gel, but it's much less sweet-smelling.

Bottle: Sweet water and an ambery men's cologne.

Wet: Sweet, bright water. It has a touch of amber and a touch of green...also something a bit dry.

Dry: As it dries a metallic note comes out. It is softer than any of the ones I've smelled in the Steamworks scents. From a distance there is something that reminds me of marches...reedy and wet and earth with that gold note shimmering on top. Up close there is a hidden sweetness. I love the uniqueness of this scent.

In the vial: Strongly aquatic plus floral.

Wet: Pungent herbal. It smells greeny-gold too, like a flowering meadow by water.

Twenty minutes: Still aquatic, but more soft and flowery now. To me this doesn't smell gold at all, it smells soft and blue. I don't know what the flowers are, but I'm imagining fields of light-blue ones that smell good, right beside the water.

One hour: This is much nicer now, warmer and less aquatic. It still doesn't smell like gold to me, but it is very pleasant.

Two hours: The aquatic note has burned away now, and this smells a lot like Angeronalia did on me. It's floral, but not at all mainstream, and with a strong resiny, balsamy kind of a vibe, kind of ropy or viney. Maybe that's something like elemi? I like it a lot.

Three hours: Yep, still a lot like Angeronalia, but less intensely floral. In fact, less intense all over. I like it but don't think I need a bottle. (I will, however, keep my decant.)

Piercingly clear aquatic scent.

I want to say "blue" but I'd just be putting my preconceived notions onto the scent.

Sniffed: Clean, soft aquatic - sort of like rain, a little soapy/dry sheetish, but in a good way. I get a little tang of metal, but it's light, not as sharp as silver-toned metal is.s.

Wet: Much more cologney and tangy - much brighter and stronger overall. A little acrid - the gold note totally reminds me of the same note in Leiprechaun. Definitely no floral or citrus in this aquatic.

Dry: Going a little salty/beachy, or almost mineral-silty - I get the 'wet stone' effect that I also got from Erik, and these are related, while the aquatic brackish note reminds me of Sturgeon Moon. Still, I'm not crazy about the gold note - it burns my nose a little.

Later: It sweetens a little, but this one is not a morpher. Maybe the metal's a little less harsh, though still too harsh for me. The gold note is more shiny now, more piercing and obviously metallic.

Summary: Rainy, mildly sweet brackish aquatic with tangy gold. It's a soft scent that stays true; very much a neutral metallic. I like it best after a few hours, but I still find it mediocre. Decent throw & good longevity.

:cry2:

My hopes: An aquatic that goes the Kingsport route rather than toward Water Phoenix

Imp/Wet: Sweetened aquatic

Drydown: It's not an aggressive aquatic...but it's pretty cologne-y

Overall: The "Cool Water" men's cologne. I love the scent on a guy, but this isn't something I need for myself

I love Egyptian stuff and the description for this one sounded very unique - I was expecting maybe a little clash between the warmth of golden metallics and coolness of water. And yep, it's there. But the result is this very 'alive' water effect, which I'm really enjoying. This is the scent of being on a fast-flowing river in the midst of a bright golden sunset at the end of a hot day. Awesome for summer, relaxing and mellow at the same time - love it!

This one is definitely reminiscent of Sea of Glass, only it feels less green.

I don't get the gold at all when I first put it on, just a nice, unisex aquatic.

Maybe its just me hoping for it, but after a few minutes things take a turn for the shimmery, and I do believe I know what gold smells like now :lol: The cologney-ness of the aquatic notes is lighter than before.

The end result is an ethereal aquatic scent with the occasional waft of something golden/metallic/wonderful. I wish I could describe it better because i like it so much. I definitely need a bottle for summer.

Wet this is sweet aquatic notes. When first on this is the same, a light and sweet aquatic blend and a bit creamy in the background too. After a couple hours, there's a nice floral note developing. After several hours this is a soft and creamy blend with a strong overlying aquatic note. On the dry down this is a very soft aquatic blend. I really like this one! Aquatics don't always work on me but this one is soft and creamy in the middle and ending stages and works really well on me. This also has a fresh and clean quality which makes it nice to wear in warm weather.