Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Dark Alice

Lawn Gnome

Benevolent groundskeepers, these carefree plaster and stone companions lighten the hearts of passers by.

Red currant, molasses, vanilla cream, moss, and patchouli

I just got this in the mailbox and I couldn't wait to try it. For once giving into my temptation was worth it.....This is the most delicious perfume.

Wet: Vanilla Cream and Molasses

Drydown: The vanilla, molasses, and red currant swirl together to make this smell of vanilla creme, red currant and molasses.

Complete Drydown: the molasses and red currant become a little bitter in the complete dry down. I love it because it keeps the vanilla creme from being too sweet. 2 hours later and now all I get is whiffs of red currant and vanilla cream. I :evol: this! Edited by Dark Alice

:thud:

This is stunning. And delicious. And will probably be my first multi-bottle purchase.

Wet: Vanilla cream, molasses, and a little bit of the red currant. I'm not smelling any patchouli or moss at all.

Drydown: Creamy warm vanilla, molasses, red currant, and the teeniest bit of moss. I'm not smelling any patchouli at all. The molasses lends just a bit of bitterness, but I really think it makes it all the yummier. This sounds like it would be a foodie scent, but it really isn't.

Love love love this! I knew this one was going to be amazing, but it really is better than I had expected. And the label is absolutely adorable!

:wub:

I tend to hope for the best when a description has notes I'm not fond of... I very often think that maybe those notes will not show themselves ... in this case the patchouli and the moss had me concerned .... I so wanted this to work..... color me :ugh:

bottle: sugared patchouli

wet: same, more patchouli than sugar

as it dries: the moss comes forward, as does the red currant. I really get no vanilla and I think it's the molasses that is showing as the 'sugar' to sweeten this. I was hoping the patchouli would have stayed in the background but it's not... it seems to be here to stay in the front, pushing back the other players. :cry2: .. it's almost all patchouli on me. The sugar even sends the patchouli into pencil shaving category for me after dry down.

final word: if you'd like sweet patchouli, this is for you! I may try it in my scent locket to see what happens there. I'm not sure I'm keeping this.

Argh. I thought for SURE I was gonna love this. It's certainly divine in the bottle - a dark and creamy vanilla. On me, it goes a little wonky. I initially blamed the molasses, because it is essentially sugar, and sugar notes don't like me, but it's not the scent of sugar turning sour. Come to think of it, it's not even *wonky* so much as the scent just doesn't particularly agree with me. I think it must be the moss. The vanilla is nowhere to be found now, and the currant and the patchouli are faint in the background, and it's mostly moss and molasses. I don't hate it

Off to the box, I guess, and I'll reevaluate in a few weeks, but I don't have a good feeling about this. :(

In the bottle, this smells very sweet, with something a little dark. I smell molasses, brown sugar, and something a little buttery, like caramel corn.

On, the patchouli comes forward, with a little vanilla and something fruity, probably the red currant. It smells a little head shop-y, like those incense cones that my mom used to buy in the 80's. It's definitely a sweet, herbal, patchouli smell. I rather like it.

I applied sparingly, throw seems medium-light. I think the patchouli scent will linger for quite a while.

Earthy, foody, fruity goodness. :wub2:

Get a bottle. This will be a legendary scent. Years from now, BPAL fans will seek this out.

I am going to be strong about Lawn Gnome and stick to my "One Bottle" rule.

Must repeat to myself WILL > NOT > BUY > MULTIPLES :P

I was once a Patchouli-phobe but thank goodness BPAL taught me to try it. This has a "friendly" patchouli like Croquet does.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

Inside the bottle, molasses, vanilla, and moss.

Wet on the skin, molasses and patchouli initially. As it begins to dry, moss becomes apparent.

The more it dries, the more an earthy soil note emerges. Is that the moss note morphing?

Fully dry, the soil/moss note is very faint and it's now mostly vanilla molasses on my arm.

I never got red currants out of this and the patchouli note was strongest while wet and then faded nearly completely in the end.

bottle: mostly the currant and vanilla cream, but i can sense the moss and patchouli in the background.

wet: what a jumble of scents, yet they blend so well together i can't distinguish them to comment. the fruitiness of the currant is there but it's curranty-ness is really tamed by the moss and patchouli. i'm not really getting anything that makes me think of molasses (certainly nothing like kill-devil) but there's thick, deep, earthy background scent that is likely the molasses.

dry: this dries to something incredible. the currant softens the stronger notes while the vanilla cream adds (what else?) creaminess. the molasses, patchouli and moss have blended into the most wonderful scent, playful and dark and just weird. i love it and will be buying another bottle.

In the bottle: molasses... and is that some cream and patchouli I smell lurking back there?

Wet on my skin: Almost instantly the moss and green-ness come to the forefront. Backed by the darkly sweet molasses and hint of cream.

Drying: Wow... this one morphs like crazy. Now it's all red currant-y and creamy.

Dry: Okay... I think it's finally settled to somewhere between the red currant & cream stage and the green earthy, moss and patchouli stage. A bit heavier on the sweet cream. Absolutely lovely and totally wearable. (Keep in mind that I love foody scents, though this one doesn't particularly say "foody" to my nose)

I love it and it will be seeing a lot of use, I'm sure!

Initial unsniffed impression: How adorable! This sounds like it will be full of win!

In the Bottle: Dark, sweet molasses.

Wet on skin: I get heavy molasses with something fresh and green and a hint of fruit. It's quite srong, and makes me kind of hungry. :lol: Very sugary sweet. The red currant comes forward after a while and the scent smells like fresh berries covered in syrup. The hint green of green is like plants covered in morning dew, it's a fresh green, not earthy. I don't really notice the moss or patchouli individually. It's perfect for a Lawn Gnome because you get this green scent, plus sugary fun!

Drydown: There is a kick to this now as it dries the patch comes forward, but you wouldn't recognize it for what it is. It just gives the blend depth. Now it's a dark, deep vanilla berry scent. Still very sugary, but it's terribly pretty.

Overall: Love this scent! The idea was adorable and the concept is brought to life perfectly.

In bottle/imp: Thick, rich molasses with a berry note coming through right at the end.

Immediately on skin: At first I smell the molasses and the red currant blending into this thick, rich, sweet syrup. It’s not really foody because the grittiness of the patchouli is coming through loud and clear, though it doesn’t smell particularly like dirt (the dirt thing is what happens with me and a lot of patchouli notes). Instead, it makes this scent rather musky and gritty. The moss also peeks through a bit and adds a touch of freshness.

After a little while: The molasses calms down a bit and this scent becomes a little more balanced after some time. It settles into my skin and the currant peeks out playfully while the molasses, patchouli, and a hint on the vanilla cream make up the bulk of the scent. This is slightly gritty, musky, and rich with a non-foody but still sweetened feel to it.

Overall Impressions: What is that you say? A patchouli blend that actually WORKS on me? I’m amazed. This scent is mostly molasses made gritty by the patchouli, but the red currant comes out enough to temper those thicker notes with a playful sweet bite. The vanilla cream comes out as it settles on me, and adds just a touch of creaminess to help settle down the rough patchouli. The moss is just a hint at first, but seems to either disappear after a while, or blend in so completely that I can’t pick it out any longer. Quite a nice scent though, and eerily fitting for its namesake with it’s sweet, playful, and still dirty feel.

Edited by Delirium1009

In the bottle: Molasses and vanilla, very foody.

Wet: Patchouli, vanilla, moss--no longer foody. Sweet moss and loam.

Dry: Not foody at all. A pleasant vanilla patchouli, leavened by the moss. The molasses isn't there now, and I could never get a full whiff of the currant. I think the currant primarily expressed itself in the non-molasses sweetness.

Anyway, very nice. I'm glad I got a bottle, and Sir likes it. So does No1 Daughter; I'll have to guard the bottle box, or siphon her off an imp or something.

Lawn Gnome is very interesting so far. Need to figure out if I like it or not. It's kind of like the caramelized sugar crust of a Creme Brulee mixed with currants and cream...

I like the caramelized sugar and currants and cream aspect a lot, but it's probably not a scent I would wear often. However, after wearing for a little while, it's trying to turn into pencil shavings on me, and I don't know why. There's no cedar in this... maybe it's the combination of patchouli and moss?

And now the caramelized sugar, currant and cream is coming back...

I'm confused... :blush:

Edited by penemuel

I love patchouli! I love most of the notes in this! I loved it in the bottle!

But on my skin it goes a little weird... and it reminds me of a scratch and sniff sticker... but I can't think which fragrance.

I need to try again at a different point in my cycle, methinks.

in the bottle: thick, dark brown sugar molasses.

wet on skin: this is becoming all about the moss, i'm afraid. :unsure:

dry down: the patchouli pops out after a bit, and mixes with oakmoss and the red currant. i sadly get no vanilla cream from this.

in all: a close-to-the-skin scent, more earthy and far less foody than i anticipated based on the listed notes. i like it, and think it might do well with some aging, but i don't think it'll be one i reach for all that often.

:huh?:

Oh man. This seriously smelled a lot like Dia De Los Muertos 2004. I haven't found anything this close. DDLM04 was quite a bit heavier and more complex, but Lawn Gnome seems to channel it a bit.

It's really well blended, I smell the currants, vanilla and moss the most. I don't find this terribly foody, although it straddles the category.

YUM

I had very high hopes for this one! In the imp it smelled foody, and I don't usually go for foody, so my heart sank briefly. But it was the blended-with-other-stuff foody that I can go for. Wet, still foody, mostly the vanilla-molasses axis with a bit of currant. As it dried though, the patchouli and something earthy that must be the moss came out to play, and grounded the foody notes. Overall, this is the first new scent in a while that I have totally fallen in love with, and prolly will hoard. hehe.

First whiff of Lawn Gnome is HEAVY sugar with a cherry smell to is (the red currant?). I don't like foodie smells (I know, I'm a minority) so I am REALLY unsure about this.

Wet on skin, the molasses is calming a little, but nothing is coming to the forefront. It's a wee bit more gardeny, like the moss might be poking its head out. All in all, it smells like I rubbed molasses on my body then rolled around my garden.

Four hours later it is something soft and subtle, but the molasses is gone and I think so is the patchouli (I can't sepll) any way, it's nice now, but it took a long time to get here.

I agree, it smells like a garden gnome, dirt and candy. Feet in the ground, but sweet and fun. It's just not my type of scent.

I L.O.V.E. Lawn Gnomes. I have one named Saul that guards my home, and another small one named Bennie who guards the garden. I got this for my Mother and her friends because of a story she wrote for them. I am going to be making them into sprays. I'll see if there is much of a difference in a spray form. Maybe layering it with another scent, Snake Oil? Dorian? Antique Lace? may make it more amazing for me.

Adding the pic of the sprays I made for Mom and her friends. They turned out cute and the scent is still the same for me. So not one for me.

DSCF1629.jpg

Edited by Stareena

Lawn Gnome-

In Bottle: Ooh, there's that oddly pleasant tobacco-smoke scent that I remember from MB: Underpants.

Wet: Something sweet and candy-ish, with that underlying smoky smell.

Dry: Wow. there is so much of Monster Bait: Underpants in this one! No one else has pointed this out, so I wonder if it's just me? I'm doing a comparison of the two right now; MB:Up has a mellower, more vanilla feel to it, and LG has a more sweet-spicy smell almost like sarsaparilla to it. And the smoky smell is stronger. LG is unique and has remarkable staying power on me. I do like this a lot.

Overall: I think I could love this.

At first while wet on the skin, it's all molasses and lots of it. As it begins to dry, I start picking up the red current and its very sweet and fruity, I think the sweetness is the molasses and vanilla. As it continues to dry, the red current settles down a lot and I start picking up on the patchouli and everything gets a lot more grounded. I'm not detecting anything that makes me think moss, so I think it must be very well blended with the patchouli. I love fruity/patchouli scents, and this scent is no exception. I will definitely be picking up a bottle....or two! :wub:

*edit*

I applied this scent last night at about 11pm and I could still smell it on my arm this morning at 8am. Actually its still sort of lingering (if I stick my nose on my arm) and its 9:40am, although I think all that's left is the moss and patchouli. I consider this a heavy scent, but it doesn't seem to have a ton of throw. It stays pretty close to your skin. Something in this sort of reminds me of Urd, but it's not really like Urd. It must just be the way the notes mix, they just have a similar feel. Urd is one of my very favorites, so that's a good thing.

Edited by MissMorbus

It smells like moss/mud with a bit of molasses (sweet burned sugar) in the background and very faint currant. not sweet enought for me, very earthy.

I will preface this by saying that though I was attracted to the description of the scent, I bought this primarily because I have a strange and unexplainable affinity for lawn gnomes. Perhaps it's their smiling plaster faces, or the pointy hats, or the fact that I'm never 100% positive that they're in the exact same position they were the last time I saw them...

Lawn Gnome smells like thick, sweet syrup in the bottle. Pancakes floating in a lake of maple syrup with lots of whipped cream piled on. You take the pancakes out to the back yard and add a handful of ripe red berries on top. A warm breeze blows the scent of freshly mowed lawn, and gets a few leaves of grass stuck to your pancakes. You eat them anyway. Then, as the sun apexes high in the sky, the pancakes are devoured leaving only the barest hint of sticky molasses on your fingers and the faint smack of vanilla on your lips. The berries you left on your plate mingle with the fragrance of the grass and just a hint of mossy dirt. You start to doze off in the sunshine, when the tiny plaster gnome in the corner of your yard catches your eye. Did he just wave at you? Nah, must have been a trick of the light.

Earthy and sweet in the bottle, once on my skin I get the dreaded vanilla = burnt plastic note.

I had such high hopes, I love Garden Gnomes so much. I will let my decant age and settle a bit and see if it changes!

I feel as if I am reviewing a completely different oil than anyone else. I put this on and I am immediately transported to the Summer of Love and a jeans store called London Britches where incense is wafting around and the smell of the Indian bedspreads permeates the air. It smells like sugary vanilla currant incense on me. The patchouli is really grounding this blend and keeping it from being too light. I had imagined something a bit different, but I love the memory trip that this has taken me on.

The throw is huge and lasts for a good 10 hours.

straight sniff from imp is mossy molasses....yum!

once applied the creamy vanilla and red currant step up to the plate...intriguing!!

after 10 minutes or so i get this insanely gorgeous sassafras perfume...i am lurving it!! :D