Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
alicia_stardust

Lust v7

No scent description.

This is the most perfect red musk blend, with just the right amount of patchouli to temper it and darken it, yet it's not too swarthy or strong of a patchouli. This seems a little less floral than the released version of Lust, but without doing a side by side comparison I can't be certain. One thing is sure: this is SEXY! And I love it more than the released version.

Sniffed: It smells ALOT like Snake Oil (or rather a Snake Pit blend). Red musk & a boozy vanilla note over earthy patchouli, and something else incense-y (maybe copal?). There is a hint of smoky-bitterness that could be myrrh, but that's something that typically comes out mostly on my skin. Red musk and patchouli are definitely the major players.

Wet: Deep orangey-red oil. A little 'brighter' somehow on my skin, fresher, with the cola-tang of SO-ish red musk. Perhaps a little less syrupy-sweet? Often red musk has an unpleasantly harsh edge on me, but as in SO, the red musk here is tempered a bit. The patchouli is still very earthy but not 'dirty', and it's less forceful on me. Still a light incense note that's almost spicy - there's a sort of dry edge, so maybe some sandalwood?

Dry: I'm very surprised by how subtle (in a good way) and clean this is - it's much more wearable and more like a 'skin' scent than I anticipated. Unusual for a red musk blend, it dries quickly, almost instantly, and doesn't morph much beyond that. I was asked if this is floral - and I don't think it is. I don't get any floral notes, at least, and certainly not ylang ylang.

Later: I almost feel like I get a tobacco note? That would account for some of the almost-smokiness, as well as the slightly astringent, clean, almost 'cologney' feel I get on my skin (the sandalwood contributes to this feel as well, no doubt). This is definitely more unisex than earlier, and oddly the patchouli has faded even more significantly.

Summary: Slightly cola-ish sweet, rich red musk with boozy bourbon vanilla, well-behaved, earthy patchouli, dark tobacco, dry sandalwood and light incense. Unisex-to-masculine, Snake Pit vibe. Very well balanced and blended, and it evolves beautifully on my skin. Still not my sort of scent, alas.

Lust v7 - Oh my, this smells GOOOOOOD! It's a strong red musk and vanilla scent, and is very reminiscent of Snake Oil. The other reviewers have both noted patchouli in this scent, but it's so subtle on me that I wouldn't have recognized it if they hadn't have put that thought into my head. This is a very sexy scent, and is going to age gorgeously. I love it! :wub2:

On me, this is definitely primarily a red musk + patchouli base. There might be a hint of vanilla to sweeten this entire deal, but pretty much red musk + patchouli - from on wet, to drydown.

Yes, this is a surprisingly clean musk sort of smell. Sexy in the not obvious, overtly sexual way.

Another beautiful red musk blend from the Lab. This one seems like a sister or cousin to Set v3 in that the red musk gets softer and more sexy as it dries down.

I did a side-by-side comparison of Lust v7 to GC Lust. Here are my findings.

In the vial, both oils are dark, but GC Lust is darker. Once applied, Lust v7 starts out strong and seems like a cross between Vixen and Scherezade. The patchouli is evident when it's wet, but then it seems to fade away and leaves behind a mellow, yet decadent, red musk and light woods scent. This is in contrast to GC Lust, which starts out syrupy, sweet, rich and almost cola-like but has a lot of patchouli in the drydown. Lust v7 is a more subtle fragrance, but that's not to say it's subtle in general. It has good throw but didn't last terribly long on me; my skin ate it up. It's not a clean musk, but it's not a dirty musk either. It's definitely warm and has a bit of a headshop/incense type of vibe....but not overly so.

If you like Scherezade, Spellbound or the original Lust, or musks in general, and a little bit of patchouli won't put you off, you will probably like Lust v7. If you like the original Lust but thought it had too much patchouli, Lust v7 might be right up your alley.

So lovely!

I also pick up a snake oil vibe from this. The red musk, patchouli, and vanilla meld together so perfectly, and it's so warm and comforting. It has a pretty decent throw, and it has stayed with me for hours. Even though this is a rarity and a treat, I'm going to have trouble rationing this out. :wub2:

because edenssixthday is an absolute rockstar, i was able to obtain a testable sniffie of this sex-in-an-imp, errmh, I mean, heady and gorgeous scent. if i thought i loved Snake Oil and Snake Charmer, well, Lust v7 is their superbaby - a perfect combination of the two. sexy vanilla, warm slithery patchouli, a deep musk that gives it major oomph... wow. how amazing is this scent???

thank you so much edenssixthday for the chance to try this.... i can see sniffing this every time i feel a little melancholy (or just want to smell sexy perfection in a vial!!!)

The Lab's musks and I do not get along well. I looked at Lust v7 in the imp and was kind of intrigued because it is such a dark oil and seems to be pretty thick. And then I read "red musk" in the reviews and started to worry.

I was right to worry! This smells GREAT in the imp, a sexy musky incense-y scent with earthy patchouli mixed in and some sweetness to it: vanilla, I'd guess. There is a tiny edge of hairspray in there, I'm not sure where that comes from, but I've gotten it a few times with "dark" Lab blends.

On my skin, at first it still smells as good as it does in the imp, with the vanilla getting a little louder, and it smells wonderful and yes, sexy. But I can never pull the sexy scents off because they almost always have musk in them and musk (of any variety) almost always does EXACTLY what Lust v7 is doing right now: turns into powdery dirty grossness that reminds me of the smell of clothes that have been sitting in a thrift store for too long. How irritating.

I concur with the previous reviews that this definitely smells like red musk and creamy vanilla with maybe a little patchouli. The red musk and vanilla are the strongest notes on my skin. Very sexy and easy to wear.

Thanks to fairnymph for a partial decant of this lovely blend to try.

Edited by angelicruin

Doing a side-by-side comparison, I like this more than the released version of Lust. This doesn't have the sharper, perfumey, floral qualities that ruined Lust for me. This smells like sweetened red musk and an earthy side in the drydown that smells like a dry, rich patchouli. I agree that it does kinda remind me of Snake Oil, but SO itself turns awful on me and this is like a nice, earthy, sweet red musk. There are so many red musk blends available that I probably don't need a bottle of this, but I think I'll hoard my partial decant for special occasions wearing.

Origin:

Tester from Scrappy. :)

Preconceived notions:

This sounds like perfection in a bottle. Red musk can be a very good thing. Vanilla? Love it if it's done right. Patchouli? Patchouli is my one true love. If I could only wear one note for the rest of my life, it would be patchouli. No question.

First sniff:

Red musk. Lots and lots of red musk. In fact, that's all I'm getting here. It may as well be a red musk single note. That's not a bad thing since I really like red musk, but I was expecting some sweetness and some earthiness, too. This is definitely different than the released version. The released version of Lust smells strongly of dragon's blood to me, with some spice and a touch of something floral in the background. It's a nice enough scent and I like it (in spite of the itty bitty bit of florals I detect in it), but I like this more.

Wet on skin:

No real change. Lots of red musk. Muskalicious. There could be some red patchouli in here, hiding under the musk, but it's hard to say. I'm not getting any sweetness from this, really, just a sort of softening of the muskiness and a rounding of the edges, but it does bear some resemblance to both Snake Oil (without the spice and with a little extra muskiness) and Mme. Moriarty (without the fruit). I'm not laying that squarely on the musk, either. I think they share some vanilla as a common component.

Dry down:

This one's no morpher. More of the same. Red musk with some hidden vanilla (I'm pretty positive about that). No patchouli that I can detect, but it could be hiding, too. I find red musk to be very strong on me. If it's in a blend, it tends to come to the forefront and make itself known. Usually I wear red musk scents where it's intended to be the main note, so that's not an issue. It's not an issue here, either. I'd just love to get some rich, smooth vanilla action going here and some nice earthy patchouli to back it up. That would be heaven in a bottle.

The bottom line:

I like this a lot, but I question whether it's different enough from the other red musk blends I own to justify tracking down a bottle. Maybe on someone else whose skin doesn't emphasize red musk so much? Hard to say if it's just me (and/or my skin chemistry) or if this is really just a very strongly red musk-centric scent.

ETA: I ended up with a bottle after all. I really do like red musk quite a bit, and I'm not averse to having multiple similar scents in my collection, so I grabbed a bottle when it came up at a reasonable price and I definitely don't regret that decision. :)

ETA again: I put on a tiny dab of this before bed last night and more than 12 hours later, I'm still smelling the lingering traces of it! :eek:

Interestingly, I definitely smell vanilla at this point (so it's clearly in there and just doesn't come out on me during normal wear). It's actually the main note now. It's a smooth, musky vanilla, and sits very close to the skin. And it smells awesome. :yum:

Edited by Penance

My recorded first impression:

first impression: love this. Why do I always love the impossible scents?

which is not very descriptive at all. LOL. This is sweet red musk and incense to my nose -- everything I love is incense to my nose.

I received a tester from a wonderful forumite. :wub2:

I am immediately hit by a flood of red musk when I put this on my skin. I agree with the other reviewers who say that red musk completely dominates this one. I often, but not always, pick up a cola smell with red musk blends - maybe this is really what red musk smells like and the cola smell is not something else added in. I thought red musk was different than this, but apparently I'm wrong. Maybe my first experience with red musk was deceptive. I'm honestly still not sure; this will require further investigation. :lol:

I do smell a sweetener in this, probably vanilla. I can pick out the barest tiny bit of earthy patchouli if I hold my wrist right to my nose and inhale deeply. It is barely perceptible, which is okay with me because patchouli heavy scents don't always work for me. Overall, I really do like this blend. It's a shame it's hard to find.

On my skin, this is Snake Oil vanilla smothered in Infernal Lover's perfect red musk with Snake Charmer's darkness. Complete love! :wub2:

Red musk and patchouli. And, IMO, this isn't the smooth refined patch that I get in other blends (such as MME) but dirty and very raw. It gets stronger on me as drydown happens and I end up smelling a bit like BO.

On me, Lust v7 smells like red musk, soft incense, patchouli and Snake Oil vanilla (which goes slightly powdery as it dries). The Snake Oil vanilla amps with time.

On the skin: Red musk and slightly earthy (patchouli?). Oooooh, this is nice. It turns a bit earthier after a bit. Definitely not something I could ever wear to work, but I am definitely liking this one! Turns a little sweeter after a bit.

Oh, I wish I could find a bottle of this one!