Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

In the bottle a ginger sugar skull syrup.Upon application,this one goes on very similar to sugar skull initially...that sweet spiced sugar syrup smell...maybe a hint of that sugared syrup that is in the can with fruit cocktail...after a few moments I get a wonderful gingersnap note.It is sweet and dessert like but I do not get the cake/bread feeling I get with gingerbread notes...I think on me gingersnaps...gingersnaps crushed in this wonderful spiced sugar skull syrup...delicious

Edited by nursekins

I didn't want to be the first to review this because my impressions are "sweet. teeny bit of spice."

Oh, so helpful! :lol:

Spicy-sweet sugar cake - absolutely lovely! Not much like Sugar Skull on my skin at all

In the bottle, gingerbread.

Wet on the skin, gingerbread with glazed sugar icing. :yum: On dry down, remains the same on my skin, but a little softer.

Definitely one to try if you're a foodie scent lover. :thumbsup:

On wet, this really made me think of carrot cake. As it dries, I get a dark musk (probably black musk), a hint of raisin, a hint of ginger, and yes, the notion of something 'glazed'. That's more of a vibe than anything else.

I can see the comparisons to gingerbread, but it puts me more in the mind of Shub-Niggurath (and they are really distant cousins, but that's the closest GC association I have). And Shub, the gingerbread kind, as opposed to the other kind as I know there are two very distinct version of Shub. Same kind of vibe - EVIL cake.

In the decant: white sugar, spicy ginger (like LE Shub, as opposed to the GC version), booze, and a little fruit. I must agree with nursekins about it having something in common with Sugar Skull, specifically SS '06, which smells different than any of the other years (stronger, sharper, and much boozier)

Wet on Skin: ginger (not quite as spicy as it was in the vial), white sugar (a little faded though), booze, & fruit (but not your usual fruit note.... this one is like tangy gummy worms)

Dry: ginger (a little less spicy though), tangy gummy worms (a little stronger), white sugar, & booze (both a little faded)

I'm a foody, and I don't care for this scent (it's not bad, it's just not great). Upon the mention of ginger, I had hoped it would smell something like GB: Poppet, but I get no similarity between the two at all. Ahhh well....

Edited by SurrealReality

PX4 - This is a heavy, heady ginger scent with a heavy musk right beside it. I don't at all smell the booze or sugar other reviewers have noted, although it is sweet, but it seems that mostly comes from the musk.

ETA: I read myth's review and had to go back and try it again. Sure enough --that note I ID'd as musk is actually just a really unpleasant, stinky honey. This means it's some sort of honey other than white honey, since white honey is the only honey I can wear.

Edited by edenssixthday

Ginger, Spices used in pumpkin pie, then I get woody undervibes and then buttercreamy and maple? Finally...Oh Snap! It's gingersnap!

In the imp, this is WHOA! GINGERBREAD...but it has a syrupy quality, too. This is not your sugary sweet gingerbread; it's almost like blackstrap molasses gingerbread.

Wet, it is really compelling. In combination with my skin, it's warm and thick and a little spicy ginger. As it dries down, I realize it's nice to have an imp of for odd days, but it's too flat and simple for regular wear, esp. at this time of year. It's a scent I can imagine using to warm up on a cold day, it's coziness with a bite.

brown sugar that is cooking on a stove at slow simmer...

throw in some b.o.....

so sorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry .... not good at all :evil: :ack:

Leave it to someone who hates it to ID the note in a blend! ;) I can't believe I'm the first person to say it, but this is HONEY. OHAI HONEY, FUNKY DOOM. Sweet, sweaty BO funkiness honey.

Also maybe some kind of sugar note because it does have that high sweet hit that I get from Sugar Skull/Velvet Unicorn and the like [without the fruit component]. At first I thought I smelled ginger and musk a la Flesh-Eating Reindeer, but that may be because I read the reviews first and am highly suggestible. :lol: On next day/subsequent sniffing I don't smell musk anymore... I think I mistook the honey funk for a dark musk at first... and there's only a slight faint hit of ginger.

But mostly my nemesis honey. If there's anything else in here, it's completely smothered by the honey doom ampage happening with my skin chemistry.

It smelled a lot like Gingerbread Poppet 2005 on me: spicy, sweet, but with a little extra syrupyness on it. Sort of like GB Poppet was a cake and you poured an extra sugar glaze on top. Unlike Shub, which to me is a very "hot" ginger, this is sweet ginger--more like bakery ginger. Very pretty!

Sniffed: Pale yellow oil. Buttery and nutty! Walnuts, and maybe some sort of pastry? Sort of autumnal and very foody. A strong honey note.

Wet: Even more honeyed, and less buttery, though this is still very richly foody. This reminds me so much of baklava! The nutty note has that edge of bitterness that walnuts have, very realistic. Honey is dominating, though.

Dry: Soooo sweet, almost makes my teeth ache. Sugar-honey syrup, heavy and cloying, with rich toasted walnuts and a hint of buttery pastry. This really IS baklava! I even get the hint of woody-sweet clove that baklava has.

Later: Almost goes sort of boozy? Or it develops a sort of mead note, or perhaps some type of sweet syrupy liqueur. It reminds me a lot of the way Mead Moon dries down,with some Noceto walnut liqueur thrown in.

The roommate says it smells like mulled cider; I disagree.

Edited by fairnymph

PX4 starts off pretty cloying and buttery on my skin, like a gingerbread cookie swimming in melted butter and something like maple syrup. My hubby hates buttery scents and threw a fit about this one. It's a sweet, sticky, buttery, spicy, foodie smell. I might smell some sort of nutty note in here as well. I've been amping up sweet notes lately, and this one is definitely cloying on me.

After fifteen minutes or so on my skin, this mellows & fades a lot. It smells kind of like some sort of dry wood note with a gingerbread biscuit smell. Dry, warm, and bland, with a bit of spiciness.

I don't hate this one, but it's a little too cloying for me at first, and the hubby hates it, so I doubt I'd ever wear it again.

Oooh, honey! Spiced honey! Delicious honey syrup with a sprinkle of cinnamon! This would be nommy on French toast. Actually, it kind of smells like French toast with maple syrup and cinnamon. There's actual food below the sweetness.

Delicious!

Edit: Basically turned into Honey SN on me after 10 minutes. I must amp. Still yummy.

Edited by AngelaBernadette

Very sweet, fruity. This is sugar and fruit no doubt about it. Some of the sugar has turned to toffee. The toffee adds a depth and this is pretty yummy really.

I tend to amp spices, so I'm glad I went easy on this one. I think it would be really strong if I went for a full 'dose.' I get spice, predominantly ginger, almost slightly astringent...is there a hint of lemon in there? It's kind of sweet in a dry way. It could be gingerbread, but it's the Dune of gingerbread, dry and heavy on the spice, sparing with the sweet. The lemon is like...a really thin lemon glaze, really thin and basic, just lemon juice and powdered sugar mixed with the smallest amount of water. Reminds me a little of Pfefferneuse.

If I were more motivated, I'd try layering it with something less harsh to reach a balance between strong character and wearability, but seeing as it seems rather rare, I think I should re-home it with someone who truely loves it. I kind of just...warily respect it.

PX4 is an odd one for me. In some ways, it makes me think of the Phoenix Steamworks line. There's something not-quite metallic, slight leather, and something that kinda smells like some sort of bronzing liquid. It's slightly sweet, and I want to say that there is either amber or myrrh underneath.

Slightly masculine, this is a warm scent. I can see this being dynamo on the right guy. Or for those women that aren't afraid of little, strange blends.