Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Unreleased prototype, no scent description given.

I think I expected more honey or floral, possibly jasmine or ylang.

Instead what I am getting is a very green floral. It's very fresh. I want to say possibly aloe and green tea, perhaps some melon, and lotus or lily. Possibly freesia?

In the bottle this one screams green...dark living green.Upon initial application it is a bounty of all fresh green things...crushed stems from dandelions and garden plants,grass,clover and green leaves pulled from trees.After awhile the floral starts to come through...it is another mismash of different floral notes...white florals I would say are the strongest part of the floral blend...I maybe off but dare I say a hint of rose or lily lurking...I maybe way off as florals are not my area of strength...This scent reminds me of the backroom of a floral shop...where they have all the fresh cut flowers and greens lying all around...there is a certain coolness about this blend that I feel in floral shops as well.

This is a lush and sensual green scent, full of voluptuous foliage, crushed stems, cut leaves, and soft damp grass. As time passes, it smooths out into a bed of flower petals with hints of lily, rose, and possibly jasmine. Those lie in the background, though, and the menagerie of green foliage keeps center stage throughout.

Aphrodite begins green, damp and growing; I pick up cucumber, and a touch of white florals. I think it's Gibbous Moon this reminds me of at first — but only at first! Within minutes, this scent just blooms on me. I'm pretty sure it's rose that's dominant, but I don't do a lot of florals; the best I can offer is that it reminds me of the little shaped soaps that my stepgrandmother had in her guest bathroom, which makes me thing "classical floral," though I'm not much good at pinpointing beyond that, alas. What I do know it's that the floral notes are wrapped in green and damp, like dew-covered stems. I think there was a Love Poem a little like this.

At one point I could have sworn I sniffed a tiny hint of watermelon, but I may have been delusional from lack of coffee.

This is a scent with staying power. It's an hour and a half later and I tried to wash the last bit off — did I mention I'm not much for this kind of florals? ;) — and she's clinging pretty tightly.

In the bottle, this is very green and floral. It reminds me of a greener Beltane 05, the green grass overpowering the rest of the scene.

Wet, it is more green than floral, but as it dries and settles the green disappears. The florals remind me of Amsterdam and Moscow--tulips and lilies. I prefer a creamier, spicier floral but this is very pretty. Delicate but with staying power, as noted above.

Edited by tarotgirl

On wet, this is a very lush, very green floral. Think green like in the Green Party and/or Host of Air. It's a big bouquet of flowers, and I do believe there are tulips and lilies in this. And on the drydown, the rose comes to dominate the blend. What a prima donna.

On me, finally dry, smells like really expensive, really nice rose SOAP. Grr.

I had the opportunity to test a friend's bottle of this at a meet 'n sniff. No extensive notes on this one, but here's my impression.

In the bottle: an extremely familiar green stemmy note over an intense but soft rose.

On me the lushness of the green note faded quickly, but the floral stayed around, soft and a bit creamy, for a while. Ultimately it faded a lot on me, though, much more quickly than most florals do.

ITB: lots of juicy greenery, and a hint of dirt.

ON: a bit sweeter, still juicy green stems but with a hint of cedar in the mix. Why cedar? I have no idea. Lightly floral, perhaps rose as its drifting towards soapy.

DRY: greens, with a dab of soapy rose on top. Sadly, not a complete winner on me, though aging may help moderate the sour greenness a bit.

Ultimate drydown: a surprisingly wearable rose. I think I need to hang onto this one, as the rose note is the most wearable I've tried so far.

Edited by Wench457

Wet this is green, wet and mossy with a strong earth or dirt note and hints of ocean salt air. When first on this is much softer moss with a floral note. Maybe lily and rose. After about a half hour this is a sweet rose mixed with green moss and hints of saltwater and dirt. After a couple hours this has softened quite nicely. It's very feminine and pretty. On the dry down this is a soft mix of roses by the sea with a warm earthy note in the background. I am so grateful that I was lucky enough to get this prototype. This is a beautiful embodiment of Aphrodite and I hope it gets added to the catalog soon. :wub2: Thank you Beth!

Aphrodite v7 - Green, green, green greenery...and white lilies. And soap. It's also got a really strong rose scent that amps up after the rest of the notes have softened a bit. The rose is what wafts all around me, and although it's got a hint of soapiness about it, it's not unpleasant. Edited by edenssixthday

I get light white floral at first...I'm definitely getting Jasmine. Then as it dries it gets to a thick green scent. Lush and wet and warm green. with hints of the jasmine. A hot rain jungle with jasmine blooms.

The reviews are pretty spot on for Aphrodite. She is lush greenery and roses...the greenery was prominent at first, but now the roses are coming out to play...and there's a hint of some other flower as well. I may keep it just for the name, as I am not that big a fan of green scents, but I'll see...

straight sniff from imp is tons of greenery and sandalwood...hayooge sillage...white rose starts amping up ....

it is quite lovely with the sandalwood in this blend...a definite head turner... ;)

AphroditeSS.jpg

After reading all the previous reviews, I was really excited to be frimped some of this blend (Hi, bookandbroom! :wave: ). However, on my skin, Aphrodite didn't live up to my burgeoning hope and expectation. I get only soft rose: no lush green, no other florals, and to add to the disappointment, the rose doesn't even last very long. It's a very pretty little rose, but I have so many other rose loves from BPAL I'm going to just chalk this one up to "Oh, well..." and let it go. *sigh*

ETA: OK, as of a couple of weeks ago I changed my mind; I love this rose scent, and scrounged up a bottle!
Edited by stellans

In the bottle, green floral.

Wet on the skin, juicy crushed plant stems. The more it dries, the more floral it becomes. There is definitely rose in there and possibly lily.

Good throw and lasts several hours on my skin.

Sniffed: Pale yellow oil. Wet greenery (crushed new green leaves) and feminine white florals, with a rainy-aquatic-ozone sort of feel. Very fresh and clean.

Wet: Same, if anything, greener - very lush in feel. Almost grassy? And some cucumber skin - this feels very refreshing. Slight soapy edge, I suspect an 'aquatic going to soap' thing.

Dry: There is a spring-like floral that I know and can't place, and rose, lily and orchid notes. And yet it's not a scary strong floral blend. This kind of reminds me of Sea of Glass, or Blue Moon 2007. There's the cool green-blue aquatic feel.

Later: It goes a bit too soapy for me, and the roommate says 'old ladies'. The rose is amping I guess? I would assume this is a yellow or white rose, as it has that sort of feel, and those roses go a bit soapy-powdery on me. Great throw.

First on, this smells green & damp on me, like cucumber and grass clippings, with sharp, perfumey florals dancing around the greenery. As it dries down, I get a lot of clean, soapy rose. Greenery & rose soap with a bit of white floral perfume spritzed about. It's too soapy and too sharply fake-floral for my tastes.

Edited by Little Bird

I was so excited to try this because in the bottle it smells all green and beautiful with no hint of rose at all. I amp rose to the degree that every other note is smothered. After trying it on the wet stage is great with the greenery very beautiful and rich. But as soon as it dries down, the rose comes out in full bloom and even after washing three times, it is still there. I am passing the bottle to my daughter who loves rose.

Oh this is quite lovely! This is a very green scent, with a slightly bitter edge. I would say there’s aloe, lily, green tea, crushed stems in here, now something sweeter and floral. Gorgeous! That’s rose for sure peeking out, and getting stronger. It’s playing nice though. This reminds me somewhat of Her Voice, and there’s another similar scent too that I can’t place right now. This is right in that vein of green, stem-cut flower scents. Beautiful.

My skin can handle soft, delicate, barely-there kinds of rose, but for me.. Aphrodite v7 is ROSE. Sharp, strong, rich, ROSE. So my skin goes "Oh HELLO rose! Just one moment, I'll turn all the amps up to 11. There we go!".

There *is* dark greenery in there, and maybe a hint of jasmine, but really it's just ALL ROSE.

What a bummer.. I won't be keeping this, it's just too much rose. And wouldn't ya know it.. even after attempting to wash it off (yes, sadly, the rose was *that* strong on me).. I can still smell it. Why is it that the notes you can't wear are the ones that refuse to wash off?!?

Sorry Aphrodite, you are beautiful but not for me.

Bottle: Sharp greenery and rose. I think there's probably myrtle in here. Honey myrtle to be exact.

Wet: The wet stage is highly green and very myrtle. It lasts a long time, too. This is quite the morpher. It has a languid drydown--it definitely takes its time.

Dry: If I had to hazard a guess about the contents of this I would say rose, myrtle, lily and... aloe, maybe? Probably not aloe but something like aloe. Maybe a light herb? Bay leaf? Light, green, slightly sweet and with a gentle floral touch. This is very green and fresh and dewy. It's not an innocent scent but it's also not voracious or overbearing. There's also something bitter in here. A contrasting note. It's secure, if that makes sense. It's not afraid to be a little ugly so long as it's itself. Shit son, this scent is like Lady Gaga!

Throw: Moderate.

Overall: I really like this. It's a pretty unique scent and a great use of (what I think is) myrtle. A beautiful scent that is still a bit ballsy and definitely interesting. It's probably a trip to try on everyone's chemistry.

In the imp and wet on my skin: someone just mowed the lawn. It took about half an hour for the florals to show up, and white rose appears to be the winner. Still a teeny bit of green undertone, but mostly rose. It's very nice. :wub2: