Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
twilighteyes

German Expressionist Horror

Casket dust, black musk and khus, musty velvet, black pine needle, patchouli, myrrh, and black pepper.

I don't usually hear people talking about this scent, which kind of surprises me because it's amazing.
In the bottle there's a somewhat sharp green element that I'm assuming is the pine, but it doesn't smell like how pine usually does (aka cleaner). Ok, ok, not a ringing endorcement - but as soon as this stuff hits my skin and forever after it is reminding me of the love child of Samhain and Black Temple Burlesque Troupe. Musky, lightly foresty and warm. I feel silly for taking so long to try such a wonderful scent.

I have a sleeping dog next to me who has just been out in the snow. I grabbed this decant to test it, having no idea what notes were in it, and swiped some on. I said, "Well, whatever it is, it's gotta smell better than wet dog." Then I sniffed it and said, "Eugh, yuck, no, I was wrong." It smelled like strong pine-scented cleaning products.

About 5 minutes later I was sitting here typing, and I sniffed the air and said, "Hmm. What's that scent?" Sniffed my German Expressionist Horror swipe again, and hey! Smells pretty good now! The patchouli, myrrh, and musk have really come out, and the pine note has faded away. It's not gone entirely, but this no longer smells anything like cleaning products. It's a dark, deep, resiny scent. A little dusty, a little sweet.

I'm going to set this one aside because I need to have a patchouli-resin death match at some point to figure out which one I like best. I seem to have several of those.

I don't know what I'm smelling in this blend. It's harsh, violent, and "masculine." Woodsy but also kind of grimey and smokey. Didn't skin test this one.

Holy Filthy Patchouli Batman! There's that OWS Patch, but in this it's surrounded by blankets of resiny goodness, which keep it from bashing me in the face with it's shrillness. This is so good, so yummy, the same deep, lushness of Smokey Moon or Tombeur but somehow more gentle, more artful. This is a blend like Avenger for me, something I could wear to work and not frighten the people.

Heavenly. Will need more of this one. I am kind of surprised this isn't more lauded.

Edited by stellamaris

i've been wanting to try this one for a long time. more for the thematic elements/inspiration than the actual scent though, as i tend to steer clear of the dusty/piney scents. anyway, it starts off with lots of must and dust, definitely. i think i am getting khus, black pepper, patchouli and a hint of pine. it smells like an old wooden box at first. shortly after i get some musk and myrrh which fill out the scent more. this is definitely a dark scent! i think i am amping the musk a bit, which is fine by me, honestly, because it tones down the pineyness a bit. it becomes a woody, peppery, dark musk on me and it is very dark and evocative. i am so glad i got to try this scent finally :)

In the decant: Black musk, pine, dust, and resins.

Wet: This is sour on me when first applied, and I think that’s due to the khus interacting with the black musk. Then the myrrh emerges to smooth things out. After a few minutes, the pine joins in as well. The pine is a welcome addition, adding a coolness to the scent and the impression that there’s a dark forest nearby. The musty velvet note ends up creeping into the mix as well, making me think of neglected tapestries in an ancient castle… which fits Nosferatu very well! There’s just a hint of patchouli and pepper in the background.

Dry: This ends up being a musky, dusty, smooth myrrh and velvet scent, with creeping pine tendrils and a splort of pepper adding a jarring quality in the background to remind you that something is not quite right.

After several hours, it becomes sweeter, probably due to the musk.

Verdict: I really did not think that I would like this from the list of notes, and maybe some of them are more subdued because this was an aged sniffie, but this is a nice, atmospheric, shadowy scent, which I think is very evocative of its inspiration. I am really glad that I got to try it! Thanks to the lovely forumite that frimped me a sniffie of this to try! :D

Dude I'm just gonna say it. This smells like a musty old pine box and reminds me of my grandpa's trailer in the woods in a not a good way. It just kinda stays that way, too. 

Got a bottle of this; it's new to me!  It's obviously very aged. In the bottle:  Still surprisingly tight in the bottle; I get a blast of something almost sour/turpentine, and patchouli.  On, wet:  Starts to unfold very quickly; I get a blast of pine wood/pine sawdust as well as myrrh, black pepper, and a sort of mustiness.  Drydown:  This is SO SO SO nice once it settles down into the skin!  Gorgeous blend of dark notes; all the black musk, black pepper, black  vetiver, black patch.....glad I got this on a whim from someone's destash!