Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

"B-Movie" initially referred to the second half of a double feature, usually a film that was lower in budget than the feature film, and weakly publicized. The expression has morphed over the years to encompass movies whose runtimes were under 70 minutes, low-budget films in general, an inartistic, cheaply produced genre movies, or high-budget exploitation style films.

Examples: I Drink Your Blood, Horror of Party Beach, Attack of the Crab Monsters, It Conquered the World

This scent is a celebration of B-grade sci fi and horror from the 50s, 60s, and 70s: a glowing glob of radioactive waste mixed with a mishmash of ingredients from assorted recipes for fake blood -- chocolate syrup, corn syrup, grenadine, and peanut butter.

When I first read the description my head almost exploded when I read peanut butter - first time I've ever seen it listed as a note in a BPAL scent! I'm not a fan of the smell of peanut butter, but the first four notes were too good to pass this one up.

In the bottle, this is all chocolate and peanut butter, and to someone who could eat straight up chocolate and peanut butter I thought I was in heaven. The grenadine pushes it into coma-inducing. Ohhhh the sweetness. :wub2:

Testing it out on my skin leaves a very different impression. I don't want to say it gets plasticy, but I think it did :cry2: where is the fabulously rich chocolate and peanut butter? It's odd to say that I even smell coconut (not even listed!) which is one of those notes that turn to plastic on my skin.

The scent reminds me of a plastic toy that may have some kind of obnoxious, purposeful, smell to it, a la My Little Pony Sunny Scents or something. I hope a bit of aging will temper the plastic note to it.

ETA: I now know what this reminds me of:
213545_150x150.jpg

My little bothers and sister had these things when they were babies, supposed to smell like vanilla. So I would imagine if they made a coconut one, it would smell like B-Horror lol but totally weird is that I LOVED the smell of that teether, they also had this weird aqua nobby ball that smelled like vanilla. Would it be weird to buy these even though I don't have a baby? :rofl: Edited by Midnight Aeval

(They make dog toys that smell like that too.)

I sniffed this at DD but did not skin test.

It was very sweet and I could smell corn and coconut. I kept double checking the notes, going -- "what, it doesn't list coconut!!"

Sniffing the bottle, it's a boozy chocolate scent to my nose.

Wet on the skin, I'm still getting mostly chocolate, a bit of berry which is likely from the grenadine, and corn syrup. No peanut butter note.

Dry down, the chocolate remains the dominant note on my skin and I can now sniff the peanut butter along with grenadine. :yum: I talked myself out of a second bottle, but it is tempting.

Definitely a scent for the foodie scent lovers.

In the bottle I get chocolate peanutbutter...and strawberry?! It kinda reminds me of those flavor oils you'd get if you were gonna make your own molded flavored chocolates. On the drydown I get just a little of the peanut butter and the grenadine and caro syrup. I settles down on me to some kind of citrus and clear syrup... and some kind of coconut...weird!

When I read the notes to this I thought, "Do I need a foody chocolate scent? I already don't wear the ones I have," but then I noticed that the first note listed is a big blob of radioactive waste. So, I was hoping that this would be a lot of waste colored by the fake blood foody stuff.

I got almost exactly what I hoped for. I love foody scents but don't like to wear pure food scents as perfume. I like something else added for balance (for example, the pine in Pickled Imp). B-Horror is very wearable for me and not at all heavy or nauseating. It's really fabulous.

In the bottle, it's loads of rich, buttery chocolate and a hint of peanut butter. Very rich and thick smelling, similar to the Chocolate Box scents.

On the skin, the radioactive waste note emerges immediately. I can't pick out what's in it, but it really reminded me of some common aroma -- and I realized, it smells like acetone. So, wet, it smells like chocolate and nail polish remover, but in a way that's kind of great.

Dry, the chocolate and peanut butter recede way, way to the background. The whole blend seems to sink into my skin, really, or maybe it just disappears to my nose. I catch it wafting but if I sniff it directly, I can't smell everything. Weird.

Grenadine is the strongest note when dry, and it's very true to the scent of the Rose's syrup. It's a little bit like the lab's red currant note, but it doesn't turn to plastic. I can also smell the corn syrup, which also smells miraculously like the real thing. It smells clear and sweet, with only the faintest suggestion of corn. And under it all lies the radioactive waste, which adds a dry, sharp, chemical, somewhat musty quality. It has a green edge and it definitely reminds me of green and grey musk. Under nose it isn't chocolate-peanut heavy, but when it wafts, those notes are definitely present. I think the ratio is perfect. They add to the blend without dominating it. Overall it feels more like a red fruit scent.

So for me, in short, it's: grenadine and sharp green chemical with splashes of corn syrup and chocolate and just a spoonful of peanut butter. Foody, but balanced by the acetone quality of the waste. Fabulous.

(I see what people are saying about coconut. The way the grenadine and corn syrup are interacting, it reminds me of Elegba.)

Try this if you like: Miskatonic valley Junior Baseball Association, the Chocolate Box scents, Diary of a Lovestruck Teenage Cannibal, Elegba (oddly), Eat Me, Dragon's Milk

In the Vial: Something sharpish, almost boozy (quick google tells me that I'm most likely smelling the 'grenadine' note). Ick. Also, definitely get the corn syrup and choco syrup. This is pungent stuff! Burn your nose, strong.

Wet: Still that booziness, but loads of chocolate.

Drydown: Whew, grenadine has finally slunk away and I'm left w/ something super sweet. Something that I want to say resembles peanut butter, but not quite.

Verdict: Ick. Turns to plastic on me. I'm honestly a bit disappointed as I was just morbidly curious about peanut butter and hoped for more in-your-face-PB. Alas, this blend is more overly syrupy sweet booze + chocolate than anything else. And it got all My Little Pony plastic on me. Glad I got to try it, but definitely don't need a full decant or bottle.

When wet, it's all grenadine and chocolate, sticky sweet and very strong. There's a slight nuttiness that must be the peanut butter, but when it settles down it's almost exclusively grenadine. Reminds me very closely of Monster Bait: Blood Mary except with chocolate instead of sugar.

Delicious!

This smells awesome...foody, rich, chocolatey, and a bit nutty. This smells like the coconut haystacks (raw shredded coconut with dark chocolate melted into it) I buy in bulk at my food coop, and seems to me to be a distant relative of White Chocolate with Marshmallow and Coconut. I get a similar vibe from B-Horror, but darker. This doesn't turn cloying on me at all, or plasticky and stays true all the way through the drydown, not morphing too much. This blend is a real winner for me and my favorite of all the Summer Blockbusters so far... :yum:

Wow.. this is a really thick oil.. In the imp, it's mostly chocolate.

Sadly on my skin it dries down into this odd plastic chocolate scent. (Chocolate and I don't always get along..) Meh, not working for me..

Mmm, this is delicious. Very similar to the Gula bath-oil, and MVJBA. Salty, foody, rich, with the slight tang of pomegranate. I don't really get a coconut vibe from this one- it's more hazelnutty. It's actually a lot like what I expected Gluttony to smell like. And it is AMAZING layered with Splatter Comedy.

When I ordered a set of decants, I figured this would go into the swap pile. Silly me! I should know by now to have faith in the strange sounding scents.

In the bottle: Chocolate. Not bad scary chocolate, but good quality stuff. And something sweetish.

Fresh on: OMG!! This is exactly what I wanted white chocolate, coconut & marshmallows to be! Toasted unsweetened coconut held together by good bittersweet chocolate. This baby sings on my skin! ("Some enchanted evening, you may meet a stranger....")

Drying: the coconut gets tired from all that singing & takes a rest while slowly, almost imperceptibly, something else comes out. Probably peanut butter. I don't smell grenadine (I think. Hard to tell). This thing - whatever it is - becomes sort of like the butterscotch woods that I get in aged pinched w/4 aces. But mixed with chocolate & toasted coconut.

Overall: :wub2:

eta: There's the grenadine! This scent just keeps morphing.

Edited by surlygurl

straight sniff from bottle this reminds me a LOT of one of the "13's"...

chock full of cocoa and coconut....mmmm....

once applied this kinda gets weird on me.... :evil: that dang play-dough thingie...ugh....

i need to try this in a scent locket...or age it to perfection....hehe :eek:

This one is a sweet, and surprisingly wearable blend. It does remind me a little of 13 as it's a smooth chocolate plus hints of peanut butter and other sweet things.

:(

I wanted to love this. I really, really did, but when I got it, there was something overpoweringly thick. I thought if I let it settle a little, it would mellow. First of all, when I dipped the toothpick in, the oil was almost black. It HAD mellowed quite a bit, so I thought since it's been about two weeks, it would be good to test it. It smells just as plastic and thick (in an unpleasant way; I usually LOVE heavy scents). There's nothing sweet about it to me.

Alas, this bottle is going to go up for sale or swap.

It's syrupy artificial sweet goodness. I can smell the cherry sweet grenadine. I smell sweetened shaved coconut. I get a slight whiff of peanut butter ever so often in the background. It has good throw but doesn't last long. It might be cloyingly sweet or too fake to some. I love it! I think this is my favorite bpal scent ever! :woohoo:

Edited by BuxomM

Something here is kind of boozy, and reminds me of Velvet Clown. Also I get a syrupy chocolate [chocolate syrup indeed] and corn syrup, yep. Sickening from the vial... the radioactive waste is in there stinking things up... it smells familiar but I can't place it. It's a sort of noxious green undertone that by itself would probably go soapy on me. On skin that green ozoney note mostly disappears, but it's still boozy syrupy and kind of nasty, like what you might smell if you got drunk, ate a lot of chocolate cake, and then puked it all up. For that it reminds me of my test of the will call bottle of The Feast for the Greatly Revered Ones, because that was corn syrupy puke sickening in pretty much the exact same way. I don't smell any peanut butter in here. Chocolate syrup and corn syrup, and booze, and to my nose it's pretty gross. :ack:

In Bottle - Some strange, strong drink. Chocolate and cherry, heavier on chocolate than Dark Chocolate and Cherry (Lupercalia 2009) was in the bottle.

Wet on Skin, First Applied - Quite boozy, chocolate-y, and the cherry is specifically the grenadine. My mom had a bottle in our fridge for years, and I'd smell it once or twice. Never much cared for it; cherry is not my fragrance of choice. The oil is no-joke thick, it will give you the full-on drenched-in-tinted-Karo-syrup experience that being on the set of Tales from the CryptZone: Blood, and Other Problems of the Vampire Netherworld (AKA Zombi '66) would. Seriously thick and dark, so be forewarned that your skin may be stained upon application.

Dry, on Skin - Coconut, which I'll presume is a sniffterpretation of this blend's peanut butter note, becomes the most readily apparent. The cherry recedes, but it doesn't really go away completely. The chocolate is not strong in the slightest, which is exactly what a 'chocolate syrup' note would be; thinner in scent/strength than cocoa or just chocolate. If I told you I smelled corn syrup, would you think I was making it up? Maybe it is just knowing that is in there, somewhere, I swear I smell the burgeoning of a cherry-coconut-pecan pie. Not for me, too sweet and boozy, but a perfection execution of the stated notes by the lab! Really, the notes create an excellent interpretation of B-Horror as a subgenre; an excess of indulgences and schleazecheese, with no... nutritional content. Pure fun, nothing to think about, no deep anything! All there on the surface, readily apparent.

If you like foody, crazy-sweet scents, but you don't mind chocolate taking a backseat to coconut (heavy on the nut) and sweeeet bits of cherry, I think you may love B-Horror!

I swear this smells like grenadine, chocolate syrup and peanut butter. The peanut butter is really strong in fact b/c my skin likes to amp nuts. :lol: I think there is a little bit of radioactive waste in here too. I love it...such a lovely novelty scent...but I think I will pass it on to a lovely home.

B-Horror

This is a weird one. Fresh from the bottle, I think I smell the grenadine, peanut butter, and chocolate, but mostly I smell coconut. It reminds me quite a lot of White Chocolate, Marshmallow, and Coconut. The grenadine disappears almost immediately, and I'm left with the PB and chocolate, and presumably, corn syrup. It mostly still smells like coconut, though. I keep sniffing the back of my hand where I applied it, thinking it's really good, but is it something I want to smell like? Oddly enough, a few hours into it, all I can smell is... vanilla musk? (!) I'm glad I was able to grab and imp of this and try it, but I don't think I'll spring for an entire bottle.

Later: I think the vanilla musk phase I get might be the grenadine returning.

Edited by Gin

B-Horror-

In Bottle: Sweetness, something oily, and just a hint of peanuts.

Wet: Candied peanuts mixed with something tart and fruity; that must be the grenadine!

Dry: Goodness, this one fades quickly on me! I do like it; it's more than just novel, but, boom, it's gone so fast.

Overall: Fast fader though yummy.

Wet: Boozy, chocolate-covered, coconut popcorn. A bit of a cough syrupy note in the background. This is really foody. I’d like to drink the cocktail this could inspire...

Dry: same as above, but no more of the cough syrup note to speak of. Just all sticky coconut chocolate popcorn. Every now and again, I can maybe get a wisp of PB, a little saltier, but its understated.

Overall: Foody and different. Kinda along the line's of Mother Shubs peanut brittle, but w/ coconut and chocolate. At times, it goes a wee bit to the fake-plastic side on me (scents with caramely sugar notes often do this on me). I had fun trying this, but don't need more, and think I will pass the imp on.

In the bottle, this smells like toasted coconut, cherry syrup, and chocolate. It's so sweet that it's scary.

On me, this smells very similar to the March 09 version of Thirteen. It's all chocolate and bright, sticky, sweet cherry. I like foodie scents (cakes, vanillas, chocolates, buttery sweetness <3), but this is way too sweet for me.

I had to scrub B-Horror off after a half hour, as it was showing no signs of fading or morphing into something bearable. This fragrance is just sickly sweet on me. :sick:

In the bottle it smells peanut buttery-chocolatey, and very easy on the -chocolatey. And tiny whiffs of coconut, and something syrupy. As it dries on my wrist it's pomegranate from the grenadine, and it's one of the few times the pomegranate doesn't come off on me as a waxy, fruity scent, like flavored Chapstick.

Even with all the syrup and candy sweetness I have to slather this in order to get more of the chocolate coconut (and peanut butter. Who knew?) I love in this scent. I don't get much throw otherwise.

Incidentally, B-Horror mingles well with Antique Lace if you enjoy the heady sweetness. I do.

At first this blend is all CHOCOLATE syrup and fruit!

I love the Lab's chocolate note and this blend is perfectly delicious. It's not too overwhelming with the candy sweetness and dries down to a subtle pomegranate syrupy booze scent.

A very strong milk chocolate and peanut butter combo. Thick and syprupy smelling at first. Then dry roasted peanuts become prominent and they smell kinda rancid. I smell a little coconut too, like the first reviewer. I also smell that plastic 'My little pony' scent. After the drydown it reminds me a lot of candy fluff dusting powder by lush. Whew, this is too much for me.