Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
TheIceMaiden

Splatter Comedy

Campy, over-the-top gore, full of gleeful self-mockery.

Examples: the Evil Dead series, Return of the Living Dead, Toxic Avenger

A bit of blood and chainsaw grease underneath a banana cream pie.

This starts out lots of banana with cream underneath. I don't detect a pie crust note or anything cake-like. As it dries, grease with a hint of metallic blood comes out to mingle with the banana. Its such a strange combination of notes, but it works! Edited by TheIceMaiden

This one is pretty freakin awesome, if you care to know my opinion lol I skin tested it and went outside to go help my husband with the canopy. He started looking around and thought he smelled sun tan lotion. Of course, it doesn't smell like sun tan lotion to me, but the throw is pretty strong.

The banana cream pie dominates, the metallic tang from the "blood", but only as a background note. Reminds me a bit of Velvet Clown but with banana cream pie in place of the rum and circus peanuts.

So far this one is my favorite of the Summer Blockbusters!

Sniffing the bottle, it's all yummy banana cream pie. :yum:

Wet on my skin, it smells of ripe bananas. I am getting a trace amount of grease, but not really getting any of the blood.

On drydown, the banana note softens significantly and the grease note amps up a bit on my skin, which makes me agree with the above review that this blend is much like Velvet Clown only with bananas.

I love this scent and already placed another order for back-up bottles. :D Banana BPAL scents are few and far between and this one I will cherish.

In the bottle I get straight up bananna.

On my skin it starts out bananna...then goes to circus peanut...then to popcorn :blink:

Now that its dry all I get is some very greasy banannas with extra emphasis on greasy!

I think this is one that will have to age a bit before I try it again.

In the Vial: Super BANANA! Like, Runts candy banana. :ack: Something else really sharp. Reminds me of car grease ('s what your nose picks up after having an ex who was a bit of a car grease-monkey).

Wet: Okay, still banana, but a bit less candyish. Now I'm getting crust. Pie crust. I feel like I need to cough-- as if I just inhaled actual crust crumbs. *blinks*

Drydown: Whoa, all crust on my stupid skin! Banana is totally gone. No grease. No nothin' but pie crust. I mean, that's the only part I find edible on pies, and yet, I really don't want to smell like it. Sigh. And then, plastic-doom.

Verdict: I really wanted to love this, but it was too-banana in the vial, and not enough lasting banana for me. Plus, my skin amped pie crust until it became very plasticy. Again, glad I got to try some, but I'm glad I only opted for a 1/2 decant.

So, I hate bananas. Hate the smell, and will head for the hills before having to taste one again. So, why the hell did I buy this? My adoration for Evil Dead, the whole concept, and a deep faith that BPAL could make bananas amazing.

Wet, this was everything I had feared. Natural, strong, nauseating banana! :ack: (Keep in mind this would likely be delightful to anyone normal who purchased this) Thankfully the wet stage passed soon, and mellowed down to a delicious, amazing coconut-banana-breathed-on-me, creamy sort of concoction that made me almost faint in a much more agreeable way. I LOVE THIS.

It reminds me a LOT of Snow White oddly enough, except sans florals and substituted with banana fluff, pie crust, and just a hint of grease. Which, altogether is genius.

:joy: SO excited to try this blend, even if it doesn't work for me!

In the bottle it smells like real bananas. Not candy banana, which is great. As soon as I put it on my skin, I can smell the pie crust underneath bananas and cream. It's actually much less foody than I anticipated, but very sweet.

As it starts to dry, the sweetness is cut by more crust and a hint of grease. That sounds weird, but it's PERFECT. It smells a little bit spicy now... like maybe there is a pinch of nutmeg in with the cream.

I want to slather this and go out and have everyone around me wondering what on earth smells so damn GOOD.

Guh, this smells awesome on me from the get go...delicious, rich, creamy banana cream pie all the way. Alas, it does nasty things with my skin chemistry and eventually turns to cloyingly sugary plastic with a bit of banana. Bummer. :ugh:

Sniffed: Pale yellow oil. Banana cream pie. A little bit like banana candy, or banana bread made with lots of butter and really ripe bananas. I fear tonka is responsible for the buttery note.

Wet: Butterscotch-banana pudding, and Juicy Fruit gum. A definite spice note - I think clove, because it has that sharp-sweet-spicy pitch. This remains extremely creamy (in addition to the buttery thing) and rich, and very, very foody.

Dry: Less creamy, but still very sweet and foody. Clove amping, and a bit of metal (finally!) is emerging - this reminds me very much of the metal note in Iron Phoenix - it's a rusty, almost earthy metallic note, not shiny-bright like the chrome note in Torture Queen et al.

Later: Yeah, iron smells sort of like musky nutmeg to me (similar to how pumpkin smells like butter...wtf?). So I get that, but with a bit more sharpness, and the butterscotch banana cream pie with clove. It's much, much nicer than I imagined, especially as a non-foody generally.

Summary: The spicy-buttery-creamy combo reminds me a fair bit of Beaver Moon 2005, with a ripe banana candy element and the rusty (and thus truly a bit 'bloody'), musky iron note. A really intriguing blend, to the point that I keep sniffing my arm out of curiosity. Great throw and longevity.

From the vial it's all banana cream pie.

Pretty much the same on my skin! It's banana cream pie, for me what seems like a graham cracker crust comes through very nicely. Sweet and foody - it's not too sweet, though.. perhaps one of the other elements grounding it a bit? Really nicely done scent.

Oh my god this is delicious- it's banana jellybeans! I don't really smell cream, or a cake or pie note, but the banana note is candy sweet and absolutely scrumptious. It doesn't really morph a lot, and I don't smell any rust or blood. The throw is average too, and I can't really see myself wearing this too much, but I'm definitely going to keep my bottle- I think this will layer MAGNIFICENTLY.

straight sniff from bottle is wickedly circus peanuts....i am in lurve!!!

once applied this is absolutely droolworthy and reminds me a lot of eat me/drink me...there is some

quality that is spot on...yeasty, pie crusty, buttery....just elegant....perfect throw....i am swooning....

better run and get this one my peeps :wub2:

Wow! I like this so much more than I expected. At first it's a blast of fresh sweet banana, then it smells more like a banana cream pie. After a couple minutes the metal note comes out (which I'm normally not a fan of) but it balances out the sweetness of the banana perfectly and makes the blend very wearable. After drying a little further a slightly spicy note comes out and I can smell the crust of the pie more.

This is far more complex and not as foody as I expected, a bit strange, but absolutely fantastic. I love it! :wub2:

The banana in this is that 'fake' kind of banana, like the bright yellow syrup that you get slathered all over your icecream in a kid's restaurant. Sweet, but not sickly. I prefer the smell of 'real' banana, like when you're baking banana muffins or a banana cake, but this is sensationally ridiculous and absolutely suited to its theme.

After the initial blast of banana (actually, that's BANANA).. the metallic note makes an appearance but it's not sharp - it seems to have an old sense about it, like rusted metal. I can't pick the blood as an individual note here, everything is very well blended, but I know it's there :smile:

I really love this blend, partly because it's just so different - I can't say I've ever smelt anything like it before - and partly because who doesn't love anything inspired by The Toxic Avenger, but mostly because it's YUM. YUM!!

In bottle: My first impression was circus peanuts, but it quickly resolved into banana cream pie. It’s a little too artificial for my tastes. Wet: More complex, but still flipping back and forth between circus peanuts and banana cream pie. I swear it smells like caramel corn too. My roommate was horrified on smelling it. Given time, the whipped cream and blood settle to the forefront and I find it more pleasing. My roommate had fled the room at this point, so I couldn’t get his opinion. The banana calms down to smell more natural not long after this point and the result is… peculiar, but oddly fascinating. I’m finding the pie crust effect interesting. And the iron/grease/blood effect is working out. It’s cream dominant, which pleases. It’s just a horrifying first ten minutes or so. Dry: Okay, that’s genuinely lovely, the delicacy of the banana blending into whipped cream with that tasty hint of blood. The grease is present, but not overwhelming. It’s very much a foody odor. My roomate, once induced to resniff admitted he’d be tempted to eat this if it were in a bakery, but he found it off putting on skin. He’s a bit of a traditionalist. I’ve been won over though. He says the scent is pervasive. My small skin test could be smelled in the kitchen from my office.

This reminds me of Egg'd Mailbox.

At first, there's a blast of a sharp, alcoholic note. It's the Banana and the way it hits my nose is similar to the way BPAL's Cherry does on occasion. What some BPAL'ers might call "chemically" to me reads "alcohol". Like grain alcohol.

So on opening, this is more like a Banana Margarita. Like one of the Tiki blends.

When what is supposed to be Banana finally recedes I'm left with the Cream Pie and that's when it reminds me VERY much of Egg'd Mailbox.

Which is nice but not unique enough for me.

So, Banana doesn't complement my skin chemistry. Otherwise, nice gentle foody scent with an interesting hint of metallic at the end.

A Steampunk Gourmand if you will B)

i get no "Blood", so that's my big question mark.

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

At first it's bananas, bananas and more bananas. But the bananas disappear quickly and I'm left with the scent of dry blood. I'm afraid to admit it, but this one really scares me :ack:

Honestly- this is EXACTLY as the description says. I mean, I did not expect to smell of banana cream pie, grease and blood but...I do and its delicious :twisted:

It's very sweet when first applied and light, just like a banana smoothie. After a few minutes I can swear I smell the graham cracker crust. Then after awhile, it dries down to sweet, savory greasy, banana with a tinge of blood. It doesn't have much throw though, sadly.

I put it in my locket for that initial fresh banana burst.

Awesome, fun and yummy blend!

Wet it smells like banana pudding (artificial) and theres' a bit of grease in the background. As it dries it's mainly grease with the barest hint of banana in the background. Sometimes when I put it on all I get is grease and others the banana is there also. I wanted to love it but don't. I had hoped for more banana and sweetness. Good throw and staying power.

Edited by BuxomM

In vial and wet, a laffy taffy candy-like banana and a faint hint of pie crust. Metallic note comes out underneath as it dries. Ends up kind of non-descript in dry-down... a vaguely fake-banana creaminess is left, and a slight metallic tinge. This one doesn't really do anything for me.

Edited by myth

In imp: Very sweet and creamy bananas and something a little plastic. Definitely a cream pie, though, and some grease, but like fried food, not metallic...

Just dabbed on/first 10 minutes: Yep, banana cream pie. Pretty and sweet and yet there's a plastic note to the otherwise tasty pastry scent. Still that obvious undertone of hot grease/something unsettling. The grease & pie crust/cream together are making me think of banana funnel cakes, for some reason.

After an hour: Still like a banana cream pie, but less so, somehow, and it's getting less plasticlike. Also, less creamy and a bit more of the blood/hot grease impression... and at this point I finally realized the banana had been pretty realistic to start with, but now it's closer to candy. Banana runts spilled on a dirty desk in a half-lit corner of a room where you really don't want to look too closely at the desk. :P

After 3-4 hours: Nearly gone, just a very sweet smear on each wrist with a little metal trace.

I like the bizarreness of this, and the description fits perfectly and it makes me smile. I don't expect to let go of the imp, but this one's not a new love like I'm sure one of the others will be.

This is the first banana scent I've ever smelled that actually reminds me of bananas--in fact, it is dead-on banana cream pie, exactly as it says--warm, baked bananas. I can't imagine wearing it often, but I can certainly imagine eating my arm. Amazing, truly evocative.

Splatter Comedy

Banana and metal dries down into banana and graham cracker crust, with a touch of grease. This is definitely a fun, unique fragrance. Not my type of scent, though.