Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Nadirah

Swallow's Blood

VOODOO blends

This formula is used to attract good fortune, peace of mind, safety and speed to travelers.

This has a baby powder mixed with some flower scent. I wear it when I am feeling troubled or need some luck and it helps me out. At first out of the bottle my nose couldnt pick up the scent. But as soon as it went on I knew it was there. I like this one.

Has anyone mentioned the somewhat extreme soporific qualities in this blend? To me, if I can't sleep or I'm stressed or scared...this is the stuff...the waves of scent lull me into a kind of peaceful state.

Is this just me? My nappy-time scent.

This one is for those of us who LOVE soft powdery scents. This one is so soft and beautiful. I'm in love. :P THIS is the one I've been looking for to lull me to sleep. Yum. I'm so excited I found this one and will get a nice big bottle of it.

Hubby just shrugged his shoulder when he smelled it (like he does with most scents) which means he won't mind my wearing it to bed, AND I'll actually get to sleep with it on. :D

Thanks Beth for this beautiful oil

This smells *so* good. It's a soft,calming scent,but in a different way than Water of Notre Dame. Maybe it's subliminally suggested to me because of the name,but i'm reminded of the baby birds i've found over the years (and usually successfully taken care of)...soft...delicate...pretty. Sweet and powdery. i <3 Swallow's Blood.

First Sniff

Sweet spiciness (a bit like cinnamon) and maybe a touch of jasmine. Not sure about this one, it's a bit medicinal.

Drydown

Sweet floral. Dragon's Blood Resin too I think...

After a While

Powder powder powder. (Excellent staying power though.)

Final Verdict

Not for me.

Swallow's Blood.

I ordered this voo-doo blend because we've been doing a lot of travelling. I normally don't sleep well in hotels and I'm really glad I gave this one a try.

I've taken it with me on two trips.

I put some on before going to bed and, like Amberbella said, it lulled me to sleep.

The flowery scent of Swallow's Blood is lighter than it's light red-hot pink color looks like it will be. Delicate and pretty.

Edited by glampyre

swallow's blood

at first: very sweet. i think i'm just smelling dragon's blood. i like this.

on: this is great. calming, but refreshing. it's a bit sweet, but mostly very light. it reminds me of dragon's tears, but even more watery.

half an hour later: wow...this is a lot fuller now. lovely. it's a bit soapy, but not too much. i really like this.

1 hour later: more soapy floral, but still mostly that light, watery sweetness.

2 hours later: this is more floral now, but is still holding onto that sweet, watery scent. this is lovely.

4 hours later: much, much lighter. tending toward getting powdery, but still a bit aquatic.

overall: this is wonderful. i'll probably only use it for its intended purposes, especially for travelling.

I figured it's Monday, and if there's any day that I need peace of mind, it's Monday.

In the bottle: Sweet spicy floral. Just sniffing seemed to clear my head and I felt a little blanket of peacefulness drape over my shoulders.

Wet: I agree that this reminds me of Dragon's Tears. It's still very nice, floral and light. Sort of like flowers floating on a gently rolling ocean on a warm, warm day. Ah, now I can get to work and not be spazzed.

Dry: Still aquatic, still floral. I do get some of the soapyness which is distracting. BUt overall, this is a really pretty scent. I'd use this on a candle, or in a warmer next time, not on me as the soapyness is too distracting to me.

I can totally see where this would be something good to fall asleep to. But it seems to be great for releaving overall anxiety, which is a good thing to bring luck and aid with travel. *curls back up in her blanket of Swallow's Blood to face the rest of the day*

Initially, this is dragon’s blood with some musk. Then, it turns soapy. After an hour, the soap becomes warm, red soap. In the second hour, this becomes slightly watery (a tad bit lotus-like, but not too strong), in addition to the soap impression. This ends up being slightly powdery, red soap.

I took this with me to England. Safety and speed to travelers, you know - plus, who wouldn't want good fortune and peace of mind overseas?

In bottle: Jasmine and some sort of relaxant. (It makes me think of deodorant, a sort of powdery floral.) It makes me a bit sleepy; its sedative, calming powers are that strong.

On me: I think I will use what I have left in this fragrance with my laundry, so that my sheets and towels will always have this wonderful relaxing fragrance as I'm puttering about. It's definitely got jasmine in it, but it is softer and more powdery than usual. Perfect for travelers!

Bottle (Imp): Hmm, not liking it muchly.

Just On: Perfumy, and a little bit of plastic. This might not work for me.

An hour or two later: Whoa. Way too many flowers, with that plastic icky smell. Still, I'll let it stay just to see, although I don't see wearing this much at all. It's only half an imp, so it might not be worth much to someone else.

Around 6 hours: Boy, this one really does not like my skin at all.

12 hours: I get some powder now, and not so much flowers.

Overall: I could live with it if it was this way from the start... but I don't think I'll be wearing it much, and I might get it to somebody who wants to try it.

After reading other reviews: I didn't really find it all that relaxing or anything, but I also didn't hate it as much as I probably could. It isn't one of my favorites by a ways though.

First sniff: Hmm. Apparently swallows and dragons have very similar-smelling blood. Who knew?

Wearing: As I may have mentioned once… or twice… a minute… all summer (with apologies to the Weasley twins), I’m moving across the country in a couple of weeks, and I intend to dab this on the St. Christopher medal I have hanging in my car – and possibly on the bulkhead of the moving truck, if I can be sneaky about it. And now that I’ve tried it on, it’s going in my suitcase and coming with me, because on top of its mystical properties it smells Really Damn Good on me. I :P my dragon’s blood. There’s a bit of powdery-flowery-ness in here too, but it’s not overwhelming… at least until it dries, and then that’s all it smells like. Ah well. I only have a little driblet anyway – I can probably use that up in the move. :D

This reminds me alot of Has No Hannah.

It's mostly jasmine & perfumey, and while wet, a pinch of that slightly bitter herb that HNH has, but much less. When dry, the herb that I don't like goes away.

About 20 minutes dry, a pinch of dragon's blood joins the mix. I like ti better now.

Not necessarily my perfume of choice, but I did some of the weight of the huge amount of stress I'm under lift from my shoulders. I suspect it will mean a better night's sleep for me. I'm sorry this is discontinued, but I have a love for the Voodoo Blends in concept. Maybe there will be something similar available form the future TAL site.

Swallow's Blood is another blend that I tried out at a friend's recent sniffie party. It's also another blend that didn't work out at all on my skin (which is good, I suppose, because it meant that I didn't have to rob my friend :P).

I think that the two main notes that I got from Swallow's Blood were dragon's blood and jasmine... two notes that are notoriously bad with my skin chemistry. It was a very strong and overpowering floral with a horribly cloying, almost rotten, sort of sweetness.

After about 15 minutes into the drydown, this also starts to go soapy on me, settling on a sort of spicy dragon's blood soap.

I'm always a bit relieved when the discontinued blends don't work for me, just because I won't have to track some more of this rarity down.

Swallow’s Blood - I was surprised at how soft and sweet it is. I expected it to be a much deeper “blood” scent. Rather, it’s a very soft and light floral with a touch of dragon’s blood, the tiniest drop of jasmine, and something that reminds me of water without being a salty aquatic (if that makes sense) – more like the crisp, clear, cold, and fresh water of a mountain creek in late-spring. I don’t get the “powder” aspect of this blend that many other reviewers seem to get, but it’s so whisper-soft and ethereal, that I can understand how it could become “powdery” with the right skin chemistry. It’s a beautiful blend, but sticks very close to my skin (surprising, considering the jasmine and dragon’s blood in it!) I find it incredibly comforting, relaxing, and quite a peaceful blend. Scent-wise, I think this is my favorite of the Voodoo blends.

I can't pick out any of the individual notes in Swallow's Blood, so I won't even attempt to guess. It's such a pleasant, comforting scent, though. On my skin, it ends up very soft and powdery with medium throw and wear length.

In Bottle: Floral

On Skin: This is a very sweet, soft floral blend. I think there is jasmine in this, and a touch of sweet Dragons’s Blood resin which would also explain the tell-tale red/pink color of the oil. It’s slightly soapy which does add a powdery note (maybe a touch of white musk?), but nothing overwhelming. The scent does ease me… I’d love to use it during a stressful day and take a nice deep breather. I hope it does help attract good fortune because I could really use that right now. Overall a soft pretty floral blend but nothing I’d wear as a regular scent… just when I neded a pick me up. Thank you so much GypsyRoseRed for gifting me this and giving me a chance to smeall and review it. :P It has a light to medium throw and a fairly long wearlength on me.

A soft powdery and light floral scent.

Nice and subtle.

I would definitely be wearing this for its intended purpose rather than for scent.

All in all, a very sweet and lovely oil.

:P

Smells floral. Kind of a powdery perfumey floral. It's not roses, and not jasmine either. I think it's a gardenia or some flower like that. It's not a bad scent, but also not one I'd go out of my way for. There are other florals in the BPAL catalog I like much better than this one.

This is a soft and gentle, yet heady floral. I get a distinct night-blooming flower scent; in some ways I am certain it's jasmine but in other ways I can't tell.

There's a touch of spice to the floral. I don't think it's a hot spice like cinnamon or cardamom, but perhaps it's something along the lines of a sharp resin or a touch of carnation spice.

This is very beautiful. I will cherish the single imp of it that I was able to get my hands on.

Oh man, this definitely has dragon's blood and jasmine. It's very strong, and it's a sweet, slightly spicy musky jasmine.

I originally got this for my trip, but I'm not sure I'd wear it because I like the scent... on the other hand, the concept behind it is what I would use it for. I suppose in my head, this is more like a TAL blend, which you don't use for the scent alone, but rather for the purpose and intent behind it.